Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Running (Impressing myself)

Options
  • 30-01-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

So I have come back to running to drop the pounds.

Friday now and with perfect eating and running 5k a day I have dropped 4lbs.

I am shocked at how enjoyable I am finding running now after a slight adjustment in my running.

I have a problem this time last year when running that I was getting the worst pain in my lower back. I always put this down to weak lower back muscles as I have always hated running due to the monogamous nature of it (or so I thought at the time), this lead me to turn to ccycling which I had great success with. Recently I have began running again to get rid of the christmas and to make the year a successful one.

After watching people who are constantly jogging around my town I noticed that I run very differently to these people, my top half was way too forward when running and I thought this may be the problem with my back. I have began leaning back into my run now ever so slightly and working the legs more which is cutting 60% of my upper body movement. BOOM no back pain whatsoever. I am thoroughly enjoying this running craic and now seem to be on the same wave length as everyone else.

I am surprised in my level of fitness now aswell, I would have played alot of 5 a side and indoor football but I never expected to be able to run 5k distances in 21 minutes (last night and was best to date so far). I am not extremely tired in doing this, I cant say it is really taking my breath away or tiring out my body to anything less than 70%.

By Monday I should be looking at sub 20. Couch to sub 20m 5k in about 9 days, would 19 mins for arguments sake be the average timing of a moderately fit person?

Most importantly Couch to actually enjoying my time running is priceless, I am ecstatic with this and all I can think of is when I will run next, what pace I am going to set each km for whether I want to sight see or or set a PR

:cool::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ghogie91 wrote: »
    By Monday I should be looking at sub 20. Couch to sub 20m 5k in about 9 days, would 19 mins for arguments sake be the average timing of a moderately fit person?
    19 mins for 5k would be a lot better than that for a moderately fit person.

20 minutes would be considered quite a good time as well, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd call anything under 30 mins very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I see I see, I have never really been into the whole competitiveness of it so I have no idea of what times are what, Im more of a run till the belly falls off as quick as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ghogie91 wrote: »
    I see I see, I have never really been into the whole competitiveness of it so I have no idea of what times are what, Im more of a run till the belly falls off as quick as possible

Run Fawwwest! Run!

If you're running outdoors and you're under 21 minutes, you're already at a pretty decent time.

Advertisement