Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

184 Bus To Be Privatised...

Options
  • 30-01-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

So, annual bus pass may be useless. That's nice. This was one huge issue I had with Fine Gael - Labour gaining power, route privatisation was mooted.

I'd be limited to using the 84X to get to Charlesland from Greystones DART station as no way am I paying for an annual pass and then a private operator (if they even choose to include Charlesland on their routes)

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-route-privatisation-1911265-Jan2015/?utm_source=shortlink

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rubbish. What's being proposed is that some routes will be privatised but they will still fall under the remit of the NTA, and Leap Cards, passes etc. will still work. Same model as used in London for example, where all buses sport the London Transport livery but are operated by a number of different bus companies.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Honestly! wrote: »
    So, annual bus pass may be useless. That's nice. This was one huge issue I had with Fine Gael - Labour gaining power, route privatisation was mooted.

I'd be limited to using the 84X to get to Charlesland from Greystones DART station as no way am I paying for an annual pass and then a private operator (if they even choose to include Charlesland on their routes)

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-route-privatisation-1911265-Jan2015/?utm_source=shortlink

I would not be concerned if I were you. Worst case scenario you will be entitled to a refund but even that is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Alun wrote: »
    Rubbish. What's being proposed is that some routes will be privatised but they will still fall under the remit of the NTA, and Leap Cards, passes etc. will still work. Same model as used in London for example, where all buses sport the London Transport livery but are operated by a number of different bus companies.

NTA will set the fares and schedule. Main concern would be if the operator is supplying their own buses - Dublin Bus do a reasonably good job of maintaining and renewing their fleet, have a look at the rust buckets running the Finnegan routes in Bray for contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

From a customer point of view, you won't be able to tell if you're using a privatised route or not.

Your annual pass will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

loyatemu wrote: »
    NTA will set the fares and schedule. Main concern would be if the operator is supplying their own buses - Dublin Bus do a reasonably good job of maintaining and renewing their fleet, have a look at the rust buckets running the Finnegan routes in Bray for contrast.

As I understand it, the NTA are taking over bus acquisition, and will provide buses for the operators to use. They bought the most recent round of Dublin Bus's fleet replenishments.

Of course you can wonder which is better qualified to specify and source buses for Dublin, an organisation that's been buying buses for 50-60 years and actually operates a 1000 or so buses on a daily basis, or an outfit that's been in existence for 6 years, but that's another debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The NTA owns more than 200 buses and some coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Victor wrote: »
    The NTA owns more than 200 buses and some coaches.

so what does the private operator actually supply - just drivers and a depot?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And fuel, maintenance, cleaning, management ...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Probably not drivers. The NTA and Dublin Bus are in the Labour Court at the moment, and it seems likely that the NTA should have hired someone who knew something about the TUPE regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And Dublin Bus can tender themselves by the way!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    From a customer point of view, you won't be able to tell if you're using a privatised route or not.

Your annual pass will be fine.

Cheers. So the private operator is paid to operate the service regardless of capacity and the fares go to Dublin Bus?

Advertisement