Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howling - does your dog do it and why?

• 30-01-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

When we fostered Lindy, we found out quite by accident that she LOVED to howl, and it became something of a party trick among my family as Shadow never howled (in fact he rarely did more than mumble when indoors). Opie seems to have no interest in howling but does have the oddest bark that actually sounds very much like a long baying (and we hear quite a bit of it :p ).

Anyone else with a collie that doesn't howl? Or what breed/mix is your howler?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our Jack Russell Cavalier King Charles x howls at sirens, it's quite funny he's so small, puts the head back and lets go :rolleyes:
    The Retriever x never howls, ever. She's cries and gives out, barks but never, ever heard her howl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have a cocker. He sometimes howls at the Ice Cream van and its very funny. His entire body is in a perfect diagonal from his tail to his nose. I wish he would do it more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

gimmick wrote: »
    I have a cocker. He sometimes howls at the Ice Cream van and its very funny. His entire body is in a perfect diagonal from his tail to his nose. I wish he would do it more often.

I love when they do it! Tried to goad Opie into doing it this morning and got a few huffy puffs of a bark for my troubles :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I have a 12 year old cocker who has been howling all his life. He normally does it when he is left behind in a room on his own (I might have only gone upstairs). Or his other favourite time is in the morning if I am not up quick enough for him.

Also I have a 2 year old cocker who copies the eldest guy. The 2 of them together make some noise. The young fella is brillant as he'll copy me when I howl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

They have never howled, I have howled at them trying to encourage them to howl (like the weirdo I am) but they've just looked at me like I'm an idiot! :pac:

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The greyhounds howl - maybe it's a sight hound thing.

Polly (Lab x) doesn't howl as such but her 'stranger danger!!' bark starts with a blood-curdling yowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've a Basset Hound and he howls if he gets a bit lonely.

Like the poster above I also howl at the dog just to see if he will reciprocate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Iv only noticed my dog howl twice, the first time was because of an ice cream van and the second was a time when I was d r driving him to the vet and an ambulance drove past with the siren on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My terrier x howls at the smoke alarm, which gets set off too often by the grill, and he howled his head off when he was left behind at the vet to get his little tooth out god love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

edit double posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

My 10 year old cocker tends to howl the odd time. Usually when he wants me to pull the chair out from under the kitchen table so he can fall asleep on top of it :pac: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Our JRT does it. Even more so when the Angelus is on. There's a God botherer in every family I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joggingjo

My 3 yo terrier howls at the angelus....not sure if its cause he's anti religion or saying his prayers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Our 2 (Siberian huskies) will howl pretty much on command. One starts, the other joins in - and quite quickly, it's a game of who can howl the loudest.

It. Is. Deafening!!!

If they howled regularly out of boredom or frustration, I simply would not know how to cope. You have no concept of just how high pitched it is.

Must get a video up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Duke, our male german shepherd, howls. When he hears one of us coming up the road on the motorbikes he starts to bark and then turns it into a howl. He sometimes howls along to music too. If there's a song on with lots of long ooooooohs and aaaaaaahs he joins in lol

Above video:

Jack (Hugo behind him), at about a '4' here on the auld howl-o-meter. When Hugo joins in, that's when it goes all the way to 11. My neighbours are home, so I cut it short...

Not sure if ye (or they) are ready for an '11'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mine don't howl, ever. My neighbour has a terrier/spaniel cross that howls at any sirens, which is very entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yes, like Hooked, I have huskies and a malamute, we have howling sessions at least once a day when they all join in. I like it, but probably just as well we don't have any neighbours :D The noise at sled dog rallies is unreal, all of the dogs howling together, usually at 6am when people are getting their teams ready to run!

I played sirens and ice-cream truck sounds to Opie and he was unphased. When I play other dogs howling he just jumps onto the computer desk and tries to bite where the sound comes out of the screen, and then cocks his head over and back in confusion :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

My dalmation, Alistair (sadly gone 5 years now), howled a full blooded head back howl every time he heard the theme tune to Coronation Street (don't blame him really, it's a dreadful piece of music) and the theme to Property Ladder.

He successfully taught my lurcher to howl with him so we all used to join in. I'm not sure what the neighbours made of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My (departed) Dobie used to howl at fire engines. Not ambulances or police sirens. Fire engines!! When he first did it as a pup, we were so concerned we called the breeder. After she'd picked herself off the floor from laughing, she explained ALL her dogs did it. Nobody knew why. Made for great entertainment in our local - which was guess where???

My Shih Tzu and I have a singalong when he's being bathed. He howls, I join in. He then looks at me as though to say 'WTF??', and then licks my nose! Really makes me laugh!!

My now departed Bullmastiff Duke used to howl very very very loudly at about 3-4 am every other night.

The funny side of it wore off a few years later when he went deaf and couldn't hear me shouting at him from the far end of the house to pack it in. At least he had the decency to look guilty when I'd finally got to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Cocker spaniel howls every night that we bring him in to his gorgeous, cosy bed in the garage. Howls his head off. But howls then to get into his bed during the day?!
    Serious shedding going on too. Has it started for the other cockers?

Hooked wrote: »
    Our 2 (Siberian huskies) will howl pretty much on command. One starts, the other joins in - and quite quickly, it's a game of who can howl the loudest.

It. Is. Deafening!!!

If they howled regularly out of boredom or frustration, I simply would not know how to cope. You have no concept of just how high pitched it is.

Must get a video up.

I remember when Lindy used to do it whenever we egged her on, it was so high pitched! I stopped encouraging her very quickly because I didn't want that to be a habit! But even when she did it in front of Opie, he didn't seem phased in the slightest. I wonder is it a learned thing, sort of like whistling - technically they all can do it but they need to stumble across how? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just played a video of dogs howling to Charlie. Got lots of head tilting, his head nearly screwed off. Plenty of whining and running for his teddy and got single little tiny woo. He's never ever howled, not once. Instead of howling at strange noises he head tilts like an owl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

My Siberian Husky howls when the Angelus comes on the telly/radio :D

Advertisement