Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Radio

Options
  • 30-01-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying one of these and would like tome tips and what pitfalls to watch out for.

Does it work by connecting via a broadband connection only and not like a normal radio.

Also, if I bought one in Portugal, would I be able to get UK and Irish radio stations i.e. are they generally universal and not country specific.

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Don't confuse DAB radio with internet radio. DAB comes over the air while internet radio requires a broadband connection. I've never bothered with DAB radio but you can have a look on digitalradio.ie for more info. I dont think the receivers are country specific. An internet radio would have more choice of stations - you are not restricted by distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭pinkfloydian

You're right thelordgod. I was getting confused. It is internet radio I am thinking of. I assume no matter where it is bought, I just need to find how to tune in to my selected stations e.g. RTE or BBC (not sure how that is done though)

T

You're right thelordgod. I was getting confused. It is internet radio I am thinking of. I assume no matter where it is bought, I just need to find how to tune in to my selected stations e.g. RTE or BBC (not sure how that is done though)

T

Usually its easy enough. Select continent then country and then select the station. Some have a search function. Ideally get a unit with built-in WiFi for convenience

T

Usually its easy enough. Select continent then country and then select the station. Some have a search function. Ideally get a unit with built-in WiFi for convenience

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A smart phone, tablet or laptop may be more useful in the long run. So called "Internet Radios" are just a package of codecs and Internet browser often with a poor user interface. Many will not update to IPV6 or support new codecs.
    Also they use up your "cap".

It's not actually a radio at all as it's unicast. Another issue is privacy. Each server (station) gets your IP and thus knows approximately where you are. They know when and how long you connect. Government agencies and others may acquire this information too.

Real radio is anonymous. Internet so called "Radio" is just audio streaming. Dedicated "sets" only connect to a fraction of the feeds. A smart phone + WiFi and HiFI dock will have more functionality!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply watty

T

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try out something like TuneIn radio and see how you get on.
    Also available as a chrome ap and yes it's driven by ads but you'll see lots of stations

if you are only interested in a few have a look at specific aps from the station - beware of third party aps that only exist to sell ads

Advertisement