Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

savings for babies college fund :)

Options
  • 30-01-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey,

what are the best options for saving for the wee lads future?.... are government state savings the best option?...its money that wouldnt be touched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

lump sum or regular saving? What timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

JTMan wrote: »
    lump sum or regular saving? What timeframe?

regular savings

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NeilMcG15

A unit linked savings plan is the best long term option for a college fund.
    Min term = 10 years.
    Contact your financial advisor to arrange ðŸ‘.

jobless wrote: »
    regular savings

Have a read of this.

The KBC 3.50% regular saver option might be your best bet. Nationwide UK (Ireland) pay 4.00% but the account is restricted to 15 months. You will need to review rates regularly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

JTMan wrote: »
    Have a read of this.

The KBC 3.50% regular saver option might be your best bet. Nationwide UK (Ireland) pay 4.00% but the account is restricted to 15 months. You will need to review rates regularly.

Take DIRT out of that and it'll struggle to match inflation.

I'd be more inclined to go for something more adventurous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I'm thinking about the same for my child. I'm only saving €25 per month which I'll increase to €50 by the end of this year. Are the Post Office savings accounts any good?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm thinking about the same for my child. I'm only saving €25 per month which I'll increase to €50 by the end of this year. Are the Post Office savings accounts any good?

Not much imho. You should be looking to make 5-7% p.a. That'll require a degree of risk. No need for anything silly though.

Take DIRT out of that and it'll struggle to match inflation.

I'd be more inclined to go for something more adventurous.

By inflation do you mean deflation? Eurozone deflation is -0.60% at the moment. The KBC 3.50% beats that.
    You should be looking to make 5-7% p.a.

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Not much imho. You should be looking to make 5-7% p.a. That'll require a degree of risk. No need for anything silly though.

i havent a clue about investing, what kind of things do you recommend

Advertisement