Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Terminal app !!

Options
  • 30-01-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a small business and I'm looking for a virtual terminal type of system/app to suit.
    I will only process face to face credit cards.
    Nothing more nothing less.

Ideally I'm looking for an app type set up to use on a tablet.
    Trying to avoid monthly fees and if possible avoid the Card reader units, ( which also have a purchase price).

I would appreciate any information, or " from experience " suggestions..

Thanks

Jay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use Syspay and SumUp. Syspay is cheaper for transactions >€25 and SumUp cheaper for transactions <€25! SumUp is good if you don't do many transactions as there is no monthly fee just a once off up front for the terminal and I think its only €79. A good few on here use SumUp there was a big thread about them not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi Jimmi,

Thanks for the info.
    These readers are € 80.00 and € 199.00 as one off's.

I was ideally looking for an app type solution, where you entered the
    card name, number expiry and ccv,
    press " charge"
    Authorization code given.
    and the transaction was complete.

Any other thoughts

Thanks

Jay

Paypal. Without a machine the rates are way higher because obviously the fraud risk is a good bit higher. Over the course of the year it will probably work out more expensive to not have a device than to have one.

Chip & Pin also comes across as a lot more professional if someone gives you their card and you start putting the numbers into a tablet one or two people might be a little wary.

Hi Jimmii,

Thanks for the reply.

My business is seasonal,, March to October'ish.
    Not a full year.
    This is why I was trying to have it as cheap as possible.

From what you say, Sumup seems to be the best of what is available, but still with a card reader, which I do not need.
    Although I do take your comments on "security" on board.

I'll keep looking for a Tablet only type, and if anything else comes to mind, please come back to me.

Thanks

Jay.

There aren't many app card processors like that so you would probably have to go with a random company you would have no idea you can trust or use paypal and it cost quite a lot. I think SumUp is by far your best option you have a relatively big name and it gives you a device that customers are going to be more trusting of and you aren't having to pay a monthly fee.

Say you process 200 €10 payments a month from March to October using a deviceless option like Paypal it works out at €1104 (69c/transaction) if you went with SumUp it would cost €399 (20c/transactions+€79). Big difference in the short term let alone the long term!

• Advertisement

Hi Jimmii,

Thanks for the info.
    I would be looking at 3 or 4 a week @ € 70.00 - € 90.00

I saw a taxi with an app that took credit cards.
    It charged you .40 cent and the fare.
    I thought it jut took the card info, Name, number expiry and ccv only.
    There was no card reader.

This is where I got the idea from.
    I did not know if it is solely for taxis or if it is adaptable,
    or indeed if there ate similar variations available ??

Thanks

Jay.

The driver probably gets charged a % rate and then the passenger pays an additional 40c fee. Work out how much it is going to cost the app only options will all be about the same. Typically you are looking at 3.4%+35c and then compared it to just paying 1.95% it won't take long to make up the €79 you pay for the C&P device.

4 €90 transactions a week would cost €13.41 & with SumUp €7.04 so you're looking at making up the difference by the end of June if you are starting in March.

Would this be for a B&B?

Hi Jimmii.

I understand what you are saying.
    There does not seem to be any way around it...

I was against the card reader/ C&P options as I did not want
    another piece of equipment " that can go down/ have no signal/doesn't work "
    From experience, I found that less is better.

I appreciate your time/effort.

It's Sumup by the look of it...

Thanks

Jay.

Hi Jimmii,

Forgot - Would this be for a B&B?
    Yes ...

Jay

The device is pretty reliable only downside is it is pretty sensitive and works on battery. If you do find an app let me know as I would like that sort of thing too!

• Advertisement

Hi Jimmii,

Two things I did not want to hear
    " it is pretty sensitive and works on battery "...........

I'll let you know if anything comes up

Thanks

Jay

Lol! With your usage I would have thought you will get a long time out of them! All the app based systems have small terminals they're all quite small and a bit fiddly! Theyre not as sensitive as a tablet screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Realex give a virtual terminal to process cards through a browser, can be use on tablets

@ Buttercake.

Thanks for the info.
    I know they do, but unfortunately they charge € 30.00 + per month fee.
    I was hoping to avoid this.

Thanks for the response, all welcome.....

Thanks

Jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Stripe is another option. I use them without issue, along with PayPal. The only reason I still use PayPal is because the majority of my customers prefer to use them. PayPal are known to limit accounts without reason and ask for quite alot of private information from you. I have had this happen to me twice, and they kept my money for 180 days before releasing it to me. Stay away from them unless you absolutely have to use them.

http://www.stripe.com/ie

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Jay Dee wrote: »
    @ Buttercake.

Thanks for the info.
    I know they do, but unfortunately they charge € 30.00 + per month fee.
    I was hoping to avoid this.

Thanks for the response, all welcome.....

Thanks

Jay

Are you looking for a service for free?!

Hi,

No, I do not expect to get this service for free.
    I am looking for a Tablet based app or similar download, which will accept credit card payments.
    This is all I need, no need for refunds, receipts, monthly analysis etc.
    I do not want to pay a monthly fee, but I do expect to pay a transaction fee, on each transaction.
    Sorry if I gave the impression I was expecting it for free!!

Thanks

Jay

There just isn't anything exactly like what you are after you're going to have to compromise in some way.

Hi,

No, I do not expect to get this service for free.
    I am looking for a Tablet based app or similar download, which will accept credit card payments.
    This is all I need, no need for refunds, receipts, monthly analysis etc.
    I do not want to pay a monthly fee, but I do expect to pay a transaction fee, on each transaction.
    Sorry if I gave the impression I was expecting it for free!!

Thanks

Jay

Stripe charges fees per transaction, nothing more. Use them I'd say.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Stripe charges fees per transaction, nothing more. Use them I'd say.

Do they have an app where you can process payments via the app by entering the card details in? I keep on meaning to look into what they offer more but never have the time!

• Advertisement

@SeanMac,

That seems to be along the lines of what I was looking for .
    Thanks for that.

Anybody using Stripe ??

Thanks

Jay

@SeanMac,

That seems to be along the lines of what I was looking for .
    Thanks for that.

Anybody using Stripe ??

Thanks

Jay

Yes, Me - on a daily basis. and it's Sam :cool:

jimmii wrote: »
    Do they have an app where you can process payments via the app by entering the card details in? I keep on meaning to look into what they offer more but never have the time!

They definitely have an app, don't know what it does though - have only used the website so far. You could easily just use the website on the tablet though.

And, if you have a website, you can add Stripe to your online stores payment methods.

This screenshot bodes well! Might be exactly what we are looking for here!

stripe.jpg

Jay Dee - stripe is exactly what you (and I!) were looking for! I have just tried it out its really nice and simple. You don't do it via app you can log in and do it via the mobile site. Sign up is nice and easy too which is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

jimmii wrote: »
    Jay Dee - stripe is exactly what you (and I!) were looking for! I have just tried it out its really nice and simple. You don't do it via app you can log in and do it via the mobile site. Sign up is nice and easy too which is good!

How does it work with customer facing payments. Buddy is a plumber and has to chase people for cash constantly. A customer payment system through iOS that they would be comfortable entering their CC details into would be nice. Looked at the site but it offers a lot of apps and back end security but very little explaination of the front end system.

Damien360 wrote: »
    How does it work with customer facing payments. Buddy is a plumber and has to chase people for cash constantly. A customer payment system through iOS that they would be comfortable entering their CC details into would be nice. Looked at the site but it offers a lot of apps and back end security but very little explaination of the front end system.

Yeh it doesn't give much away beforehand! Basically from the dashboard you have when you sign up you click create payment and it just pops up with a screen to enter the card details and you click make payment it thats easy! You have to give up more info to be able to transfer money to your account but the whole sign up process is really quick and straight forward. I will only be using it for non face to face payments not sure how I would feel if someone processed a payment for me where I didn't have to enter my pin etc I might be a touch concerned! I think for your friends case SumUp may be a better option.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, everyone.
    Apologies to Sam Mac, Misread your name, and kept going with it..... Sorry

I was looking at Sumup, but now with Stripe showing up, it's research tine again...

Thanks

Jay

Hi,

Thanks for the info, everyone.
    Apologies to Sam Mac, Misread your name, and kept going with it..... Sorry

I was looking at Sumup, but now with Stripe showing up, it's research tine again...

Thanks

Jay

Its hard to really get an idea of how simple it is without signing up! At first glance I thought the site seemed like it was going to be insanely complicated but once you have your account set up its a super straight forward process. Even verifying your ID is a lot easier than normal all you do is hold your passport up to the webcam on your computer no faffing around scanning and emailing copies etc! I can't believe after looking for so long and it ended up being a couple of Irish guys who had the solution the whole time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

http://www.aibms.com/products-and-services/pogo/

€100 one off cost.. €10 per month and the fees on credit and debit card are competitive...

does not appear to require a merchant account but could be wrong on that one..

D

Advertisement