Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Terminal app !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

ir555 wrote: »
    http://www.aibms.com/products-and-services/pogo/

€100 one off cost.. €10 per month and the fees on credit and debit card are competitive...

does not appear to require a merchant account but could be wrong on that one..

D

Its an AIB merchant services product it requires a merchant account looked at it before. If you have a read of the thread you'll see OP has already written off SumUp which has a lower start up cost, no monthly fee and has a lower transaction fee so I am guessing Pogo might not be what they are after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Anybody used retail merchant services, retailmerchantservices.ie

Quoting a rate of 1.4% credit card €35 per month for terminal and 18c. per debit transaction.

This rate seems very impressive when others are about 1% higher?

elastico wrote: »
    Anybody used retail merchant services, retailmerchantservices.ie

Quoting a rate of 1.4% credit card €35 per month for terminal and 18c. per debit transaction.

This rate seems very impressive when others are about 1% higher?

They would want to be a good bit lower charging €35 a month! They would need to offer some service as that looks a pretty poor deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

jimmii wrote: »
    They would want to be a good bit lower charging €35 a month! They would need to offer some service as that looks a pretty poor deal.

Its the 1.4% charge that caught my eye. If volume is high enough then the €35 is small change surely?

elastico wrote: »
    Its the 1.4% charge that caught my eye. If volume is high enough then the €35 is small change surely?

Its a good headline rate but at the volume necessary most companies would be more than happy to offer a vastly reduced rate than their list price. Most companies seem happy to be a little flexible as long as the volume is good someone posted not so long ago that they were getting 0.95%! That was with very high volume though I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi Jimmi,

Thanks for the info.
    These readers are € 80.00 and € 199.00 as one off's.

I was ideally looking for an app type solution, where you entered the
    card name, number expiry and ccv,
    press " charge"
    Authorization code given.
    and the transaction was complete.

Any other thoughts

Thanks

Jay

I have this set up on my mobile website, actually very easy to implement if you have done it before. You have to integrate with Realex though and you'll need a merchant services account with your bank.

I have this set up on my mobile website, actually very easy to implement if you have done it before. You have to integrate with Realex though and you'll need a merchant services account with your bank.

What are the rates? Might be worth looking into stripe you can cut out the merchant account that way!

What are the rates? Might be worth looking into stripe you can cut out the merchant account that way!

2.5% I think for Visa Credit & Mastercards and 12 cent or something like that for Visa Debit cards. It's great though, no arsing around with "the cheque is in the post" and "I'll catch you next week", it either authorises or declines the transaction immediately in real time and the funds land into your business bank account in 3 days time. Any of our staff out on the road now can pull up our mobile site on their smartphone, they just login, press one button, bang in the amount they want to authorise, hit a button, then they are brought to the Realex payments page, put in the card details and get a yes or a no back within seconds in relation to the successful charging of the card.

2.5% is really high and 12c is very low! Debit card seems to be the card people use the vast majority of the time these days so that would be a good option! Shame you need a merchant account though. Sounds like the same process as stripe just more expensive! If you use a lot of credit cards you should look at sumup its 1.95% and again no merchant account needed!

2.5% is really high and 12c is very low! Debit card seems to be the card people use the vast majority of the time these days so that would be a good option! Shame you need a merchant account though. Sounds like the same process as stripe just more expensive! If you use a lot of credit cards you should look at sumup its 1.95% and again no merchant account needed!

You have a realex account charge of around 35 Euro a month and a bank merchant charge of 50 Euro a month. These costs are easily covered once you have the turnover and are making money at it. The code to run this isn't that hard to knock together, there is a bit of encryption you have to set up when passing information to Realex and you need to know how that all hangs together.

If you have a client who will pay you 5% commission or something upwards of that, it is just a matter of pushing as much money as you can through your account. You can negotiate & haggle the 2.5% downwards when you have volume on the merchant account, etc...

• Advertisement

You have a realex account charge of around 35 Euro a month and a bank merchant charge of 50 Euro a month. These costs are easily covered once you have the turnover and are making money at it. The code to run this isn't that hard to knock together, there is a bit of encryption you have to set up when passing information to Realex and you need to know how that all hangs together.

If you have a client who will pay you 5% commission or something upwards of that, it is just a matter of pushing as much money as you can through your account. You can negotiate & haggle the 2.5% downwards when you have volume on the merchant account, etc...

If I was paying €85 a month before taking a payment I would be wanting a lot better than 2.5%! If it was 1% that would be good but when you can get €0 monthly and 1.95% they would want to be offering something else ssoecial service wise on top of that!

If I was paying €85 a month before taking a payment I would be wanting a lot better than 2.5%! If it was 1% that would be good but when you can get €0 monthly and 1.95% they would want to be offering something else ssoecial service wise on top of that!

Well if you were making 3K a month through the website by taking payments and making a margin on the payment, or else by making profit on what you were taking payments for (assuming you were selling goods), then 80 Euro a month wouldn't be a problem at all, assuming all other considerations were equal (rent, etc) and could be easily covered with your 3K profit a month.

If I understand you correctly, you are not thinking of selling goods, buying them at X and selling them online for Y, your idea is to take payments online on behalf of other vendors/sellers and charge them a commission of a certain percent per transaction?

Well if you were making 3K a month through the website by taking payments and making a margin on the payment, or else by making profit on what you were taking payments for (assuming you were selling goods), then 80 Euro a month wouldn't be a problem at all, assuming all other considerations were equal (rent, etc) and could be easily covered with your 3K profit a month.

If I understand you correctly, you are not thinking of selling goods, buying them at X and selling them online for Y, your idea is to take payments online on behalf of other vendors/sellers and charge them a commission of a certain percent per transaction?

No I'm regular retail I thought you were selling things on for commission! It just seems like an unnecessary cost there is no point paying that much if you don't have to. The OP was looking for a low cost card processor for occasional payments face to face we're moving a little off topic here now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Hi I use sum up without the reader I just put in the customers phone number, they get a text and put their own credit card details in

No I'm regular retail I thought you were selling things on for commission! It just seems like an unnecessary cost there is no point paying that much if you don't have to. The OP was looking for a low cost card processor for occasional payments face to face we're moving a little off topic here now!

You used to have to buy the hardware/handheld device from a payment processing company such as a bank but smartphone technology has done away with the need for that now. I'd say there are a few companies who do this now, where you just open account and trade away, I prefer having control of it myself so it runs off my own website in conjunction with Realex, horses for courses I suppose...

You used to have to buy the hardware/handheld device from a payment processing company such as a bank but smartphone technology has done away with the need for that now. I'd say there are a few companies who do this now, where you just open account and trade away, I prefer having control of it myself so it runs off my own website in conjunction with Realex, horses for courses I suppose...

Yeh good to have that control I prefer the convenience of letting someone else take care of it! If you are handling it yourself is there much you have to do to be PCI compliant?

Yeh good to have that control I prefer the convenience of letting someone else take care of it! If you are handling it yourself is there much you have to do to be PCI compliant?

yes, jump through hoops! I gave up the monthly payment terminal and responsibility for my own pci. On my websites I have paypal and stripe, for face to face customers or over the phone I use the sum up text an invoice, a combination of the 3 works really well

yes, jump through hoops! I gave up the monthly payment terminal and responsibility for my own pci. On my websites I have paypal and stripe, for face to face customers or over the phone I use the sum up text an invoice, a combination of the 3 works really well

Yeh similar set up for me use Paypal and Stripe for non f2f and then SumUp and Syspay for f2f. Have you tried the SumUp device? Its a good addition to their service I am hoping they will make a new slightly larger slightly less sensitive one!

I don't like the sum up device and my customers are happy enough to key in their own details, AIB have a new one out called POGO that looks very interesting as it can take different currencies but it is €10 a month and so new I have not had any feedback but I will keep an eye on it

I don't like the sum up device and my customers are happy enough to key in their own details, AIB have a new one out called POGO that looks very interesting as it can take different currencies but it is €10 a month and so new I have not had any feedback but I will keep an eye on it

You need a merchant account with that and the rates are pretty high had a look into it myself. The response to the device for us is mostly amazed at how small it is! They can definitely improve it anyway the SysPay device is a lot better can't beat SumUp for low value transactions though! The text function doesn't work for me any more though it was one of the reasons I got it then about a week after the device arrived the option disapeared!

• Advertisement

With POGO you do not need a merchant account, I was at a backing the brave conference with the AIB last week and they were telling us about it but yes the rates put me off

With POGO you do not need a merchant account, I was at a backing the brave conference with the AIB last week and they were telling us about it but yes the rates put me off

Thats good I was told in branch that you did! Thats good to know in case they do lower the rates. Not sure if they have brought in a load of new staff but I seem to be getting mixed messages a lot lately before Christmas my branch stopped giving out change so last week I rang Dame Street to order some they were like you can do that online now I thought great lets do that so they guide me through it and are like you can order it to be collected in any branch handy can go back to my local! Next day I go to my branch and they're like no sorry you have to go to Dame St but i'm like but they told me to go here and when I ordered it via the site I selected to collect from here apparently the site lets you select any branch to collect it from but it doesn't matter you still have to go to certain branches only. The dam teases!

From what they were hinting last week there are big changes coming for SME's but they refused to say what.

One of the statistics was 6 billion was spent online shopping last year in Ireland and 60% is spent abroad and on Christmas say the Irish spent €635,000 on a UK site.

The backing the brave campaign for online business's is because they want the 60% spent abroad spent here instead but how they plan to do it is still a mystery

From what they were hinting last week there are big changes coming for SME's but they refused to say what.

One of the statistics was 6 billion was spent online shopping last year in Ireland and 60% is spent abroad and on Christmas say the Irish spent €635,000 on a UK site.

The backing the brave campaign for online business's is because they want the 60% spent abroad spent here instead but how they plan to do it is still a mystery

Sounds interesting would have liked to go to it. Our online sales this Christmas were up massively on last year hopefully that trend continues. Sure the only way that 60% gets moved here is amazon move all their distribution centres here! Did they give a timeline on this project?

of course not they are a bank :)

AIB haven't a clue about small business, the "We're backing Brave" campaign is nothing other than a slick yet pointless marketing campaign to make them appear to be supporting small businesses. The two young lads (I think they are brothers), who set up Stripe the online payments company, every Irish bank, including AIB, laughed these guys out the door, they went abroad, got their venture capital and are now billionaires.

I use AIB for merchant services but for nothing else, and I'll imminently be changing them even for that. Forget about them is my advice, they are going nowhere and their slick PR bullshít will mislead you into thinking they will support you, at the end of the day you are going nowhere with a bank like AIB, all their branch managers and relationship managers, all the clowns who were pushing property back in the day, are still in place, they have cleaned out the top of the bank but the same decision makers are still there at branch level.

Advertisement