Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars bars

Options
  • 30-01-2015 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

While I dont eat that much chocolate these days, from time to time I treat myself to a snack or three.
    Mostly better to buy in the multipacks, got a snickers multi pack for a euro, seemed good value, no weight on the bars
    I have read about chocloate bars and treats getting smaller and mostly couldnt really confirm if it was what I imagined or if it was actually true.
    In one shop I just checked the Mars bars, pack of fullsize, 51g. Now I know the ordinary mars bars were 62.5grammes having stuffed my face with enough of them as a kid whenever possible, thats just above18 percent (almost 20% or 1 fifth of the bar smaller). I wasn't sure if these bars were the real fullsize bars.
    Looking it up, it seems this is a fullsize bar now.

While it probably is better for children and more likely adults where they get less exercise, I read the company reduced the size based on reducing the calories per serving, why they couldnt just make a bar with two bite sized portions like they did with the king size bar, or in the least just admit up front its really just a cost cutting exercise instead of lying and saying they are in anyway concerned about how many calories are in them. There wasnt any effort to reduce the price per bar, not even say half the reduction in size, to ease the blow.

I suppose there is only so far they can go with this before people just switch over to a different brand, lidl/aldi?
    If only they did their version of a crunchie. I could not see any other way they could get more sugar into it than having lidl/aldi release their own version, wonder what it'd be called?

Other news, The Marathon bar has reduced in size so much it no longer exists!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many are about 250kcal now. I am not sure if double decekers shrank, they seemed to be the same size and I was surprised to see they were about 250kcal, so may have been that all along.

I find the bars have reduced in price accordingly, at least the ones I buy, I pretty much only buy them on offer.

Advertisement