Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any dedicated P.E. Teachers in Irish Schools?

Options
  • 30-01-2015 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Did I hear correctly yesterday on Operation Transformation that schools in Ireland dont have dedicated P.E. (physical Education) teachers in primary and secondary schools? and some heads saying the normal teachers teach it and some even say they dont have enough time allocated on the curriculum for P.E. classes - I find this crazy myself - I grew up in the UK and we always had dedicated P.E. lessons/teachers (even though I couldnt stand P.E.) we done rugby, football, cross country, basketball and all that jazz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We had one in my school, although that was in medieval times.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

There was in my secondary school. Not primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Good question. The one in my school didn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Did I hear correctly yesterday on Operation Transformation that schools in Ireland dont have dedicated P.E. (physical Education) teachers in primary and secondary schools? and some heads saying the normal teachers teach it and some even say they dont have enough time allocated on the curriculum for P.E. classes - I find this crazy myself - I grew up in the UK and we always had dedicated P.E. lessons/teachers (even though I couldnt stand P.E.) we done rugby, football, cross country, basketball and all that jazz

Secondary PE teachers are specifically trained to be PE teachers, along with another subject. Primary school teachers are also trained to teach PE as part of their degree but obviously they also teach all the other subjects.

There's a thread about the Operation Transformation claims about Primary Schools in the Primary and Pre School forum if you're interested in finding out what teachers think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was one in my secondary school for sure, 00-05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

these ones in secondary - where they properly trained P.E. Teachers or were they just maths / engish / bog standard teachers teaching P.E. though?.... what is needed is a properly trained teacher in physical education that knows about exercises and injuries and teaching proper sports and most of all be qualified for P.E. !

these ones in secondary - where they properly trained P.E. Teachers or were they just maths / engish / bog standard teachers teaching P.E. though?.... what is needed is a properly trained teacher in physical education that knows about exercises and injuries and teaching proper sports and most of all be qualified for P.E. !

Most of the PE teachers that I worked with trained here, and others trained in the UK. I'm sure there are probably other options in other colleges in Ireland.

primary school need to have them as well! - granted not as full on as when they are in secondary level education but still, just to get them fit and give them excercise and ready for when they get to secondary school - why the reason for no proper P.E. classes in primary school i wonder?

our P.E. Teacher(s) as I were growing up just taught P.E. and nothing else - like-wise our English Teacher or Maths teacher did not teach P.E. and Likewase our P.E. teacher didnt teach English or Maths in another class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Defo,

My PE teacher ran it like a military boot camp. Good craic though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

No we were not taught pelvic exercises. Disadvantaged so we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

We had one who was a dedicated PE teacher. He tried to get us into games such as hockey, basketball, badminton, tennis and the like. We eventually wore him down and he gave up and just let us play five-a-side winner stays on for the next five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My brother is going to graduate this year and will be a PE and English secondary school teacher. I believe you have to teach a second subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

our P.E. Teacher(s) as I were growing up just taught P.E. and nothing else - like-wise our English Teacher or Maths teacher did not teach P.E. and Likewase our P.E. teacher didnt teach English or Maths in another class!

Most teachers in secondary school in Ireland are qualified to teach 2 subjects. Those include PE teachers. It's not like the UK where teachers generally only teach one subject.

Novella wrote: »
    My brother is going to graduate this year and will be a PE and English secondary school teacher. I believe you have to teach a second subject.

You don't have to, but it's harder to get a full time job without a second subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Unlike in the UK the vast majority of secondary teachers here teach two subjects. Most of the time they are equally qualified in both. PE is no exception to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

We had one, he loved volleyball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAs7F9inPxw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You don't have to, but it's harder to get a full time job without a second subject.

That makes sense. :)

Bobsammy wrote: »
    Unlike in the UK the vast majority of secondary teachers here teach two subjects. Most of the time they are equally qualified in both. PE is no exception to this.

I dont particuarly like that Idea. - Ok if the Teacher is slim, fit, healthy and really has qualified in the subject but say if you got an overweight or over BMI teacher teaching kids P.E. its not on is it! - bit like going to a fat doctor who smokes and having them tell you you have to lose weight and stop smoking ... oh hold on a moment we already have them ones lol :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

My little sister is a PE and business teacher for a secondary school. Her degree is in both. So what you heard it bull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ours was definitely qualified to do the job as she only ever wore a tracksuit and had a whistle around her neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I dont particuarly like that Idea. - Ok if the Teacher is slim, fit, healthy and really has qualified in the subject but say if you got an overweight or over BMI teacher teaching kids P.E. its not on is it! - bit like going to a fat doctor who smokes and having them tell you you have to lose weight and stop smoking ... oh hold on a moment we already have them ones lol :-)

But a teacher could be only teaching PE and be unfit or overweight. Teaching an additional subject won't affect that.

Why would you assume that a teacher would be overweight just because they are qualified in two subjects? Easily the most ridiculous thing I've seen posted on boards about teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Our PE teacher was hot, when I say "hot" I mean she kept in shape and was one of the only female teachers in the school younger than thirty. Most of the lads would stare at her and make wolf whistle noises. She had no control whatsoever. One time she took one lad out of the hall and gave out to him. When he came back in he pulled up his zipper and announced to the whole class "Well, I sure showed her". She probably would have been okay as a teacher but just couldn't control certain people in our class - to be fair the school was some shithole.

Where are you getting the idea that the fact that PE teachers teach two subjects mean that you have teachers who are overweight and not interested teaching PE? Taking the degree I linked to earlier as an example, people who choose to do that course do it because they are genuinely interested in sport and fitness. They also have to do a second subject, which is a good thing because with only PE they'd have no chance of getting a job. Even with two subjects there aren't many jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd also make sure geography teachers had left the country at least once and seen a waterfall being formed. Also mandatory for history teachers to have survived Pompeii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

When I was at school, PE was basically an excuse for those who were crap at proper subjects to verbally and physically bully people. It did far more harm than good. The only thing I learned from PE was how to forge my parents' handwriting every week.

RayM wrote: »
    When I was at school, PE was basically an excuse for those who were crap at proper subjects to verbally and physically bully people. It did far more harm than good. The only thing I learned from PE was how to forge my parents' handwriting every week.
    That's a pity. My school had fantastic PE teachers. We were lucky that they timetabled a few teachers at a time to teach PE when we were in 6th year (and possibly in other years, I can't remember) so that they could offer a few different sports at a time. I'm not sporty at all but I have fond memories of PE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My PE teacher in secondary school was fantastic. She took us surfing, climbing mountains, down to the park in the summer, swimming... She let us try loads of random sports so it wasn't the usual basketball, football etc.

In primary school it was just the normal teachers doing PE with us. But they were trained to do that in college anyway so what harm. I'll never forget the time I kicked a football at a 60+ year old nun teacher and knocked her glasses off...thought I would be killed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Did any of you do the bleep tests when you returned after your summer holidays? Serious craic, that.

Advertisement