Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any dedicated P.E. Teachers in Irish Schools?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

really!? sexual and mental health talks?? in Religious Education class? - Blimey!

Religion isn't the same as it was 20 years ago. Its taught by trained professionals who leave their own religion out if the class. Its not Catholicism, its everything to do with all major religions.

Also sexual health is usually given by a trained sphe teacher in religion class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Issue isn't PE teachers it's a matter of priorities. DES half an hour of religion a day for example.

We only had 1 40 minute religon class a week attendance was never taking either and you could do your homework or sleep if you wished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

We only had 1 40 minute religon class a week attendance was never taking either and you could do your homework or sleep if you wished

What you had and what DES mandate maybe 2 different things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

.... 2 fully equipped gymnasiums....

we didnt have fully equipped gyms at our school but we had an assembly hall. around 9.15am every morning we had assembly where notes and anything else was read out to everyone and then prayers and then later on in the day the assembly hall would be turned into a gym of sorts there would be these climbing ropes and ladders and gym mats and hobby horses and everything laid out. And then at exam time the assembly hall would be used for that as well. At Christmas just before breaking up for the Christmas hols the Assembly hall would have a stage and a play would be put on by our drama class for the school. So yeah the Assembly hall was used/utilised quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

What you had and what DES mandate maybe 2 different things

I finished secondary school in 2006 maybe things have changed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I finished secondary school in 2006 maybe things have changed

I finished about the same time. It depended on the teacher, some were fine, how some of the others were allowed to be kept as teachers still baffles me. The Local priest would probably avoid them.

It wasnt an examined subject so they could do whatever they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We had PE teachers in secondary school (late 90s/early 00s) but none in national school. We did have PE classes though, weather dependent. I asked my son (he's in fourth class) how much PE they have a week. He looked at me like I'd two heads! Says sure we go out to play at lunchtime. I says no, when ye play sports or exercise, he said when we have Gaelic once a week. It's an external trainer who comes in for that and it's only for a few months of the year. So his teachers don't bother their arse with PE.

I think PE class is much more than just keeping fit - it teaches stamina and teamwork and competitiveness - there is most probably more good things to come out of regular PE lessons too but I think you got to start from an early age in primary school and carry it on right through secondary

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    We had PE teachers in secondary school (late 90s/early 00s) but none in national school. We did have PE classes though, weather dependent...... .

Oh our PE classes werent weather dependant at all, out in all weathers we were! - as far as I can remember it was always pouring down when rugby or football was on and cross country running in the snow and frosty weather , i suppose it was to 'toughen' the kids up as well. Our PE teachers were swines when i think back, you couldnt say to them you didnt want to do PE unless you were at deaths door but I suppose they were right to push the kids into doing it if they didnt push us kids then we would have opted to just sit around ... and whinge . The PE teachers wer'ent the best liked teachers in our school by the pupils but i doubt if they could care less whether they were liked or not at least there wasnt so much obesity in kids in my day so maybe PE lessons were a very important asset after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

anncoates wrote: »
    We had one in my school, although that was in medieval times.

Our school too. She was a bad-tempered dipso though and looked it. When she was absent, the art teacher filled in and he was far superior, actually really encouraged everyone rather than put them down, unlike Dipso "Consta-hangover" McBitchyface.

• Advertisement

Oh our PE classes werent weather dependant at all, out in all weathers we were! - as far as I can remember it was always pouring down when rugby or football was on and cross country running in the snow and frosty weather , i suppose it was to 'toughen' the kids up as well. Our PE teachers were swines when i think back, you couldnt say to them you didnt want to do PE unless you were at deaths door but I suppose they were right to push the kids into doing it if they didnt push us kids then we would have opted to just sit around ... and whinge . The PE teachers wer'ent the best liked teachers in our school by the pupils but i doubt if they could care less whether they were liked or not at least there wasnt so much obesity in kids in my day so maybe PE lessons were a very important asset after all!

Personally I still don't see the point in P.E. They should make an after school sort mandatory instead and add that time to a class that is falling. Like maths or science. That way kids have an option and it takes away the embarrassment of not being very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Personally I still don't see the point in P.E. They should make an after school sort mandatory instead and add that time to a class that is falling. Like maths or science. That way kids have an option and it takes away the embarrassment of not being very good!

Then who would play in goal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭johnohanlon

My PE teachers were big GAA heads, one of them was actually an ex county player.

Then who would play in goal?

The bad kids that are still being forced to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

heldel00 wrote: »
    DES has nothing to do with religion

DES sets the curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Lau2976 wrote: »

Look at all the overweight children and you'll see that there's a huge point to PE.

Obesity is a huge problem in primary school children and it has to be tackled. A lot of children go home and sit themselves in front of a console all evening.

Your argument about saving children from being embarrassed is nonsensical.
    PE isn't just team sports.
    Children don't need to be talented to run, which some children find hard to do for one minute in 6th class...f**king 6th class!
    People are afraid to say the word "fat" when it comes to children.

Maths is being well looked after with the new literacy and numeracy strategy.

Children are only in school for 6 hours a day.
    Parents also need to get active with their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

DES sets the curriculum

Religion is not part of DES curriculum guidelines. If religion was never ever taught in a primary school in Ireland the DES wouldn't give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Religion is not part of DES curriculum guidelines. If religion was never ever thought in a primary school in Ireland the DES wouldn't give a toss.

Really? I think 2.5 hours of religious education is required as part of the curriculum in all schools but the patron can decide whether it is faith formation or more factual information on religious beliefs. There has been some discontent with the fact we cannot have non denominational schools in Ireland.

My point is that religion is not governed, monitored, inspected by DES. For example, if you had a whole school evaluation in your school,with inspectors analysing each subject in the school, they would not be concerned with religion at all.
    Diocesan visitors will come in once a year to visit and chat but DES have no part in religion in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

true that, but id like to see a documentary on TV (even if there is some undercover footage) of how many schools in Ireland participate in regular PE lessons and how good they are

Ya and a documentary on how many do music,drama,art,psychology,cooking,philosophy,martial arts,cycling,swimming, computer programming,knitting, chinese,japanese... and how goddam good they are.

Do parents take responsibility for anything these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

My point is that religion is not governed, monitored, inspected by DES. For example, if you had a whole school evaluation in your school,with inspectors analysing each subject in the school, they would not be concerned with religion at all.
    Diocesan visitors will come in once a year to visit and chat but DES have no part in religion in schools.

This is false. I remember as a student our school got a whole school inspection and yes, we had inspector in our religion class. In 3rd year we also had an inspector sit at the back of the room. He also asked us questions on the topic of Islam which we were studying at the time.

This is false. I remember as a student our school got a whole school inspection and yes, we had inspector in our religion class. In 3rd year we also had an inspector sit at the back of the room. He also asked us questions on the topic of Islam which we were studying at the time.

primary or secondary?
    An inspector might be observing teaching methods too.

Not in primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Government cut backs has meant that teachers who are not registered for PE are teaching it in a lot of places.

Hardly "a lot". Maybe there are a very small few exceptions, but the Teaching Council will ensure that unless teachers are qualified in the subject they teach, they won't get paid.

It's about the only real point to the Teaching Council as far as I can see, but that's one of the things they do. So therefore to be paid to teach PE, you must be qualified in PE. As I said, maybe there are exceptions, but cutbacks have absolutely nothing to do with that.

PE is really important, and should absolutely be part of the curriculum- besides getting exercise, students learn teamwork, hand/eye co-ordination and a range of other skills.

BUT- PE teachers can only do so much, and throwing the blame on schools for obesity or saying that more time is needed for PE in schools which already have an over-packed curriculum (even excluding the religion argument) is avoiding the real issues, namely:
    • The $hit that kids are given to eat by their parents going to school or the $hit that they buy in the shop with the money that their parents give them because they're too bloody lazy to buy a sliced pan, fruit and a pack of yogurts or whatever to make lunch
    • The amount of time kids spend in front of a screen, be it a tv, a computer, a tablet or a phone
    • The lack of encouragement of parents to get their kids involved in something. And before people chime in with the cost of hobbies or the time needed to bring them places- firstly, it costs nothing to go for a run. Secondly, if you get your kids involved in a GAA, rugby or soccer club (amongst so many others), there will be plenty of people who car pool. It is always workable.
    • Blaming everybody else but yourself. There are literally HUNDREDS of options for kids to be involved in things to give them exercise. NO student should be depending on PE alone for physical activity. Schools can only do so much.

I know I'm sensitive to this kind of thing because I'm a teacher, but I am so bloody sick of schools being either blamed for society's problems or else being asked to fix the problems. Do these kids not have any guidance from home? There are hundreds of thousands of amazing parents on the road today since early this morning going to clubs and halls all over the country getting their kids involved in things. They are probably even training and coaching a lot of the teams themselves. I know it's a big commitment, but it's your duty as a parent to do these things- and not to depend on schools alone to do it. So yes, there are dedicated PE teachers- but they need to work alongside dedicated parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Armelodie wrote: »
    primary or secondary?
    An inspector might be observing teaching methods too.
    Not in primary school.

Secondary. Teaching methods would also include whether you are sticking to the syllabus, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Meangadh wrote: »
    Hardly "a lot". Maybe there are a very small few exceptions, but the Teaching Council will ensure that unless teachers are qualified in the subject they teach, they won't get paid.

It's about the only real point to the Teaching Council as far as I can see, but that's one of the things they do. So therefore to be paid to teach PE, you must be qualified in PE. As I said, maybe there are exceptions, but cutbacks have absolutely nothing to do with that.

PE teachers are seen as expendable for the most part in secondary schools unless they are permanent. When hours need to be filled on timetables PE is viewed like CSPE and SPHE and they are given to the teacher who has not reached 22. The TC cannot stop someone from getting paid once they are registered regardless of the whether they are qualified for that specific subject. Some etbs will pay the unqualified rate but there are only 1 or 2 that do this.

Secondary. Teaching methods would also include whether you are sticking to the syllabus, etc.

They can of course inspect exam subject religion classes at second level - it's just like any other subject. Traditionally only the patron (diocesan advisor if catholic) inspects faith formation classes though. This arrangement appears to be stuck to at primary level. But as Armelodie says, at second level they have been inspecting non-exam religion classes under the guise of looking solely at the teaching methodologies. We have had such classes inspected several times now. There was some surprise at first but it seems quite common now.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    PE teachers are seen as expendable for the most part in secondary schools unless they are permanent. When hours need to be filled on timetables PE is viewed like CSPE and SPHE and they are given to the teacher who has not reached 22. The TC cannot stop someone from getting paid once they are registered regardless of the whether they are qualified for that specific subject. Some etbs will pay the unqualified rate but there are only 1 or 2 that do this.

I agree with you that teachers not qualified in the subject can still be paid to teach it under TC regulations. Meangadh is definitely wrong on that. Personally I have found that it's one of the subjects least likely to given to just anyone though, because of insurance concerns regarding injuries - same with other practical subjects.

Aye, thread is about primary though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

our P.E. Teacher(s) as I were growing up just taught P.E. and nothing else - like-wise our English Teacher or Maths teacher did not teach P.E. and Likewase our P.E. teacher didnt teach English or Maths in another class!

Did your English teacher teach English? ;)

Advertisement