Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Submitted PhD thesis and have a few questions about the application forms

• 30-01-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭

[title continued] ... for JSA

Called into the welfare office today and got the forms I need to fill out. I have a few questions about them.
    • Does the stipend I was receiving count as employment (by the collage)?
    • I moved back to my parents house a month ago but I'm staying with my girlfriend during the week as I'm preparing for my viva and still writing papers. Does this count as cohabiting? The woman I was talking to wasn't sure!
    • What sort of proof do they want, to show I am currently seeking work?

This is much too similar to all the paperwork I needed for the thesis submisssion :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 raspberrypie

dj_ wrote: »
    [title continued] ... for JSA

Called into the welfare office today and got the forms I need to fill out. I have a few questions about them.
    • Does the stipend I was receiving count as employment (by the collage)?
    • I moved back to my parents house a month ago but I'm staying with my girlfriend during the week as I'm preparing for my viva and still writing papers. Does this count as cohabiting? The woman I was talking to wasn't sure!
    • What sort of proof do they want, to show I am currently seeking work?

This is much too similar to all the paperwork I needed for the thesis submisssion :)

Phew, thank god you added [title continued] I'd be stumped otherwise. If you shack up w/ the GF then yeah, it's cohabiting. Stipend? Ouuuhh, lovely word. Sti-pend, steeepend, sterpind. Not sure. I guess it's an educational reimbursement and not exactly income from work, loike manual labour or some such nonsense, tell them that, that will stump them and they'll end up agreeing with you.

As for genuinely seeking work, there used to be a GSW form, Genuinely Seeking Work form, genuinely there was/is. So you phone around a few places, get a few refusals, chuck em on the form, viola, you are genuinely seeking employment and entitled to JSA, and interim payments of SWA until JWA comes through. SWA, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, you get from your local CWO, Community Welfare Officer, who won't have a PhD. Are you sure you did a PhD? It's just that wiki tells me that collage is a technique of art production? Unless you spelt it phonetically as you pronounce it, loike? : P Anyway, that outlines what you need to say and do.

Advertisement