Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Recovery Software - Free

Options
  • 30-01-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Nokia 301 os Symbian, friend created new album folder and though he had moved all photos into this folder, then proceeded to delete all his photos from main folder.

New album folder is now empty.

Is there any free data recovery software which could retrieve these images.
    Or is Nokia suite the only option.

Where would I look to find these deleted images, apart from just checking every folder I can find, or is there a special hiding place to look out for:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Assuming the Nokia can be accessed as an external drive on a PC/Laptop and that no new data has been written to it since the deletion, you could try "Photorec"

Edit: Not sure if this will work with symbian or not...

Edit 2: Also, make sure not to install it / or anything, on the same drive that you're trying to recover from...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

There was probably about 30 photos deleted and since then (in panic) 3 new photos were taken, would these 3 overwrite everything that was deleted or just the amount of space these 3 pics take up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Recuva is good but I reckon the damage could be done if you saved new items in the same location. Worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Totally agree with s15r330, i usually use Recuva too (suggested Photorec on account of it being only photos you need to recover), and you probably have lost something by overwriting, but, you might be lucky :/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

johnnybmac wrote: »
    Totally agree with s15r330, i usually use Recuva too (suggested Photorec on account of it being only photos you need to recover), and you probably have lost something by overwriting, but, you might be lucky :/

PhotoREC actually recovers all types of files, not just photos. Very misleading name though! :)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MessierM81

Can anyone recommend Data recovery software that will attempt to recover all files on a dodgy Hard Drive.

My Seagate 2TB Drive has failed. it contains photos (RAW and JPEG) Format, Photoshop files, Music WAV and mp3 File, Word Documents etc.

I have a new Hard Drive ready to save the files onto.. not to overwrite the originals.

I downloaded a few trial recovery data programmes. Some of them can "see" the files but of course I have to pay for the software before it will do the recovery. I don't know which one to purchase.

Can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive Data recovery product that they have used successfully please?

Thank!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

MessierM81 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend Data recovery software that will attempt to recover all files on a dodgy Hard Drive.

My Seagate 2TB Drive has failed. it contains photos (RAW and JPEG) Format, Photoshop files, Music WAV and mp3 File, Word Documents etc.

I have a new Hard Drive ready to save the files onto.. not to overwrite the originals.

I downloaded a few trial recovery data programmes. Some of them can "see" the files but of course I have to pay for the software before it will do the recovery. I don't know which one to purchase.

Can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive Data recovery product that they have used successfully please?

Thank!

Have you tried the two mentioned above Recuva and PhotoRec? They are (afaik) free. At least Recuva was the last time I used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thank!

Good and non-expensive dont go together in the same sentence when talking about data recovery software. Theres Recuva and PhotoREC which are both free, and decent, but your chances of getting what you need back is 50/50.

I get that.. I dont mind paying to get the right software but there are so many with prices from free to over €100 and I cannot figure out whuich ones are good and which ones are not. What programme would you recommend?

I should add that I don't thing there is physical damage to the Hard Disk itself. Its not clicking or making any unusual sounds and it is running. Its more likely a directory corruption problem or similar I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I should add that I don't thing there is physical damage to the Hard Disk itself. Its not clicking or making any unusual sounds and it is running. Its more likely a directory corruption problem or similar I think.

First thing I would do is use something like dd to make an exact copy of the malfunctioning drive to the new drive, and attempt using recuva/photorec on it. See what you can get from it. Dont experiment on your original drive.

The one I'd recommend is Encase, but its about $500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

As the others said, Recurva. It's free and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I used recuva 3 times it recovered 90 per cent of my files .
    Easy to use , on a 16gig drive it takes about 2 hours to do a full scan,
    then it shows jpeg1,2,3 etc pdf 1,2, 3,
    mp3 1,2,100,200.,mp3 300, avi 2,3 , 4,100 etc
    green = can be recovered in good condition.
    you can do a search for all pdf.or all avi ,or all jpeg. all mkv etc
    then click scan
    It easy to use for a non tech expert ,

it shows all the files even ones that may not be recoverable .
    https://www.piriform.com/recuva,
    I can see android phones camera. image folder on my pc ,i dont know how symbian works .

https://datarecovery.wondershare.com/phone-recovery/nokia-cell-phone-recovery.html

http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/symbian-platform/articles/15266.aspx

google recover data symbian phone ,
    is the data on an sdcard ,
    you can buy sdcard reader 2 euro in dealz shop or poundland shop .
    electronic ,cable section,

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated. Hopefully I will get a result!

Advertisement