Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on dead bait for pike

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

I got 4 runs from 10 till 6 hooked all 4 lost one went like a train into the reed bed wasnt a chance I could get it back out was huge id say snapped my line ha was still happy with the 3 I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

db97 wrote: »
    I got 4 runs from 10 till 6 hooked all 4 lost one went like a train into the reed bed wasnt a chance I could get it back out was huge id say snapped my line ha was still happy with the 3 I got.

Hehe what did I say there a big uns there :P

guarenteed man put in the time and patience there and you will get a monster. there in the reeds smelly dead bait they cant resist once they sniff it out :D

guarenteed man put in the time and patience there and you will get a monster. there in the reeds smelly dead bait they cant resist once they sniff it out :D

The best part is many people wouldn't think they're there so it's under fished.

yea its full of them what you using tomorrow

• Advertisement

yea its full of them what you using tomorrow

Headin with the father, so will have 3 rods maybe. 2 deadbait and I'll spin to pass the time. Haven't picked up any bait yet (tackle shop had none), ao will probably pick up some mackerel and herring in Tescos tomorrow morning.

yea you definitely get a few man.. take picture show me what ye get :)

yea you definitely get a few man.. take picture show me what ye get :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

ardinn wrote: »
    I got some Lamprey yesterday for a trip im taking during the week, I have heard they are the dogs cahunas for pike, anyone any experience with them?

lamprey is a strange bait imo! personally, I think it can be a good bait when nothing else is working. you can cast it to the end of the earth too, to wont come off the hooks. Only disadvantage is that its not cheap.

Spent around 2 hours spinning and scouting yesterday. mainly just using heavy sinking lures to find the depth in places, and find drop offs. didnt catch, but enjoyable none the less.
    Hoping to try a new spot next sunday, I think it might hold a 20 or two. Im not going to fish my old regular spots again for a while, had too many recaptures and want to get to know more places well.

iv never used lamprey dont think the tackle shop in limerick has them

• Advertisement

anyone ever hear of white bait any good for pike? its fish fry or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 richfl

Hi all,

Reading your posts with interest, thanks for sharing your tips.

Just started fishing last summer, ahve four young kids and was looking for something relaxing to get me away for a few hours. Have also taken the kids to the Canal in Leixlip where I live catching perch on rods I bought them in LIDL, great fun.

Am really interested in pike. Fished Ennell by boat twice last summer (my first time ever using a rod) and unsurprisingly drew blanks, as I did every time I tried anywhere else until I got my first pike on the canal outside Kilcock last month, a jack, but a pike nonetheless. Caught on a big ass lure, thrilling.

Went to Dysart in Westmeath a couple of weeks ago, and hooked into what I am assuming was a sizeable pike, had it on a ledgered mackerel, got to play it for a few minutes but lost it, don't know if I let the line go loose or didn't set the hook properly. Probably both. Some kick to see the rod bend as it did though and hear the noise of the braid coming off the reel as it sped away from me each time I got it close to the stand.

Even as a novice i can tell from the many many posts I've read that fishing locations are jealously guarded, and with good reason. However, as my opportunities to fish are rare I would love to make them productive, so was hoping that DB97 might PM me the pike lake he's had so many good results on. Totally understand if no one replies cos asking isn't cool, but as I say my fishing time is precious, and I'd love to get my 9 and 7 year old into it seriously. The few piking trips I've made with them have ended in blanks.

Will be in Ballyhoura in Limerick in mid-April and was planning to buy an inflatable kayak and fish Lough Gur, but reading very mixed pike reports and seems to be mainly a rudd lake.

Thanks to all who take the time to read my post and best of luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭con___manx1

my first time pike fishing was just over a month ago. I caught two pike on roach. the first was 91cm and second 84cm long. the first one was caught in a canal off the barrow and the second was caught in the barrow. I just cast the float about 5 feet from the river bank as the water was slack there and I got lucky. I ran out of roach and fished with whole mackerel the rest of the day and never got another bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

You need to cut your mackerel and use either end of it. Always great for attracting pike as the oil usually pours out leaving a nice trail of scent for the pike to follow.
    As of drawing blanks, get used to them if your taking up pike fishing. I usually fish a ledgered dead bait or a dead on a float. Then use another rod for sink and draw. You cover more water that way increasing your chances.
    Still your never guaranteed to catch.
    Lots of lakes were decimated over the years from poaching but I'm finding the venues that were bad fishing for a few Years are slowly coming back to being good venues again.
    Iv never tried fishing from an inflatable kayak and never would. They are just not safe and having young children I would never take risks when they are with me and never when I'm alone either so please forget about the inflatable.
    Only way to get to know lakes and rivers is by getting out and fishing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

richfl wrote: »
    Hi all,

Reading your posts with interest, thanks for sharing your tips.

Just started fishing last summer, ahve four young kids and was looking for something relaxing to get me away for a few hours. Have also taken the kids to the Canal in Leixlip where I live catching perch on rods I bought them in LIDL, great fun.

Am really interested in pike. Fished Ennell by boat twice last summer (my first time ever using a rod) and unsurprisingly drew blanks, as I did every time I tried anywhere else until I got my first pike on the canal outside Kilcock last month, a jack, but a pike nonetheless. Caught on a big ass lure, thrilling.

Went to Dysart in Westmeath a couple of weeks ago, and hooked into what I am assuming was a sizeable pike, had it on a ledgered mackerel, got to play it for a few minutes but lost it, don't know if I let the line go loose or didn't set the hook properly. Probably both. Some kick to see the rod bend as it did though and hear the noise of the braid coming off the reel as it sped away from me each time I got it close to the stand.

Even as a novice i can tell from the many many posts I've read that fishing locations are jealously guarded, and with good reason. However, as my opportunities to fish are rare I would love to make them productive, so was hoping that DB97 might PM me the pike lake he's had so many good results on. Totally understand if no one replies cos asking isn't cool, but as I say my fishing time is precious, and I'd love to get my 9 and 7 year old into it seriously. The few piking trips I've made with them have ended in blanks.

Will be in Ballyhoura in Limerick in mid-April and was planning to buy an inflatable kayak and fish Lough Gur, but reading very mixed pike reports and seems to be mainly a rudd lake.

Thanks to all who take the time to read my post and best of luck to all.

I have no problem in mailing you with a few venues where i have been successful..espeically if its to get kid intreasted in pike fishing...god knows its what the sport need with the happenings by the ifi in the west!...where are you based?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

and was planning to buy an inflatable kayak and fish Lough Gur,

I'd steer clear of inflatable kayaks for fishing. The Coast Guard have branded them as lethal. For example what happens when you land a thrashing pike with exposed trebles in his mouth and he punctures the kayak?

I fish from a kayak regularly but it's a proper sit on fishing kayak - very stable especially in choppy waters because the weather can turn very quickly on lakes. I'm also equipped with all the proper safety kit - PFD, Drysuit, VHF Radio, Sharp knife etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd steer clear of inflatable kayaks for fishing.

+1000. Seriously dangerous things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

For example what happens when you land a thrashing pike with exposed trebles in his mouth and he punctures the kayak?

A good example of that here
    3016005.jpg

A war wound from the next pike a little later
    5578128.jpg

7070037.jpg

I have no problem in mailing you with a few venues where i have been successful..espeically if its to get kid intreasted in pike fishing...god knows its what the sport need with the happenings by the ifi in the west!...where are you based?

Hi weatherbyfoxer , thanks for the reply. I live in leixlip. Have fished the canal for pike in kilcock, leixlip and Enfield many many times since last summer with just one result. Thoroughly enjoy being out nevertheless, with or without the kids.

I'd be happy to hear any places you feel comfortable mentioning if you can pm me? Locations will stay with me as I only go alone or with the kids, none of my mates have any interest.

What are the ifi up to in the west?

Cheers

Thanks to all for advice on inflatable kayak. Have been reading a lot of reviews on them as fishing platforms with food and bad comments and was none the wiser on their suitability. as I usually blank I have been looking for some way to get to those likely spots out of casting range. Most frustrating day I ever had was one afternoon last October on a small cavan lake, beautiful day and the Middle of the lake was regularly being breached by sizeable fish but couldn't get near them.

One question you may all be able to help me with is how do I get a tight line when I'm ledgerinh or floating deadbait? After I tighten the line and set the rod, the line almost always slackers and droops in the water, and I'd imagine I may be missing some bites.

Thanks to all, happy fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Thanks to all for advice on inflatable kayak. Have been reading a lot of reviews on them as fishing platforms with food and bad comments and was none the wiser on their suitability. as I usually blank I have been looking for some way to get to those likely spots out of casting range. Most frustrating day I ever had was one afternoon last October on a small cavan lake, beautiful day and the Middle of the lake was regularly being breached by sizeable fish but couldn't get near them.

One question you may all be able to help me with is how do I get a tight line when I'm ledgerinh or floating deadbait? After I tighten the line and set the rod, the line almost always slackers and droops in the water, and I'd imagine I may be missing some bites.

Thanks to all, happy fishing.
    if im float fishing it doesnt matter really if the line is tight because ur float is ur indicator and the weight above ur trace should hold the bait on the bottom, and its less resistance wen the pike picks up ur bait anyway, but you have to watch ur float ,not everytime a pike takes ur bait does your float go under, so u have to be alert and strike early..if ur using braid it wont sink wen ur floatfishing anyway
    if your ledgering u really need to be using bite alarms with a back drop indicator, you cast out using a 2 or 3 oz lead and wen the bait settles on the bottom, you tighten up to it, then open ur bail arm and put on the indicator, the benefit of it is that it indicates bites wen a pike picks up ur bait then swims towards you, theres videos on youtube you should watch that can explain it better than me

Cheers for the tip Kildare lad, will invest in some bite alarms and check out You Tube so.

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The main function of the deadbait bite alarm is not so much to help you catch the pike, but to help prevent deep hooking. You want to be striking as quick as possible after a take. If no alarm and the rod is away from you, they can take the bait and swallow it along with hooks before its noticed the bait has been taken.

Advertisement