Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

posting a dismantled honda 50!

• 30-01-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi don't laugh but I have a mad idea of getting a Honda 50 and riding it around america! I have never ridden one and don't even have one yet!

I have priced it on FedEx and cargo companies and between 2,000/3,000 euro.
    I want to get the bike here instead of over there... Long story.

Now for your big laugh! Last time I was on an Post website I noted we can post packages up to 20 kilos to anywhere in the world for about 70 euro. Is it realistic/ easyish/possible /permitted to dismantle the bike into about 3 or 4 packages and perhaps take some in my checked baggage? Obviously drain petrol and oil tanks and maybe even buy the battery over there. Is it realistic and would there be much set up alignment / set up etc for an amateur :)
    Any thoughts, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Don't be thick lad, buy one over there, now nighty night, get your mummy to tuck you into bed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smallbiker

Ha Ha Thanks Magil. You sound very tough and arrogant!
    No offence taken. If you only knew more about who is making this post!!
    OK 2 reasons could be I may want to continue and who wants to ride with American registration plates or Canadian
    Also insurance and carnet are easier to obtain in ones own country.
    To you Magil I say
    " today's ' expert ' was once a novice "
    I have done some research and I know this bike is considered one of the worlds most reliable machines.
    Don't be thick lad, buy one over there, now nighty night, get your mummy to tuck you into bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its doable, certainly.
    But how much it costs and how much is achievable is a whole different thing.
    They did sell a version of the C50 in the US, called the CT110 trail and the latest incarnation of the engine is in the Honda Grom which is a current model.
    You have to ask yourself why you want a C50, is it because its a classic scooter? Sure it is and lots of fun here. In the US with bigger distances a 50cc scooter may just end up being a huge pain in the hole.
    Where are you intending to go, for how long?
    The distances and terrain to be covered will dictate your choice of motorcycle to a large extent.
    Something like a Honda CRF250L would be as reliable and have the bonus of being able to carry some luggage and go offroad as well.
    I'd think about what your itinerary is and then base your choice of machine around that.

Thanks CJ You are a gent!
    Well I got inspired by the man that rode his Honda 50 from Alaska to Ushuaia in South Argentina and then he went onto Dakar and.rode it all the way to Europe.
    See hondavstheworld
    He answered a couple questions advising kickstart and no points. He didn't answer my last lot of questions, so perhaps thinks I am a time waster!
    I am normally a cyclist and have traveled in total about 30 months on a bicycle in my life. So i want to still do the slow travel as its the best travel for making " connections " with the locals. To be honest i have never been a motorbike lover!
    I travel very mimilist and don't care about comfort and speed as am obviously not a speed merchant!
    So am talking around the world :)
    Now you understand as this would have to cross 3 oceans and perhaps a couple of other places where no ferry service on my dream route.
    As you can see I am more knowledgeable about travel than bikes! And obviously not wanting North American plates in Africa and Asia! I really want to stick with the 50 and no high tech fuel ignition or where machinery is needed to check diagnostics etc as that makes repairs more difficult.
    Thanks for your advice and interest. It is reassuring there are nice people on this forum, my first time to post.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its doable, certainly.
    But how much it costs and how much is achievable is a whole different thing.
    They did sell a version of the C50 in the US, called the CT110 trail and the latest incarnation of the engine is in the Honda Grom which is a current model.
    You have to ask yourself why you want a C50, is it because its a classic scooter? Sure it is and lots of fun here. In the US with bigger distances a 50cc scooter may just end up being a huge pain in the hole.
    Where are you intending to go, for how long?
    The distances and terrain to be covered will dictate your choice of motorcycle to a large extent.
    Something like a Honda CRF250L would be as reliable and have the bonus of being able to carry some luggage and go offroad as well.
    I'd think about what your itinerary is and then base your choice of machine around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

smallbiker wrote: »
    Hi don't laugh but I have a mad idea of getting a Honda 50 and riding it around america! I have never ridden one and don't even have one yet!

I have priced it on FedEx and cargo companies and between 2,000/3,000 euro.

I'd expect you'll get a complete, large moto crated, air-freighted and cleared for less than that. Maybe cheaper again by sea. No assembly required.
    Contact the expert freight companies. Lots of info on HU

PS At least get a Honda 90 for comfortable, high-speed, long-distance cruising!

[Edit] Expect problems as a tourist trying to buy and insure a vehicle in most US states.

• Advertisement

Thanks 2 wheels good
    Yes will try Horizons Unlimited next. Yes figured not easy buying there and perhaps not a good idea having USA plates either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Shiply.com is another company that gets you online quotes for moving stuff, I have lots of crazy mad stupid ideas as well, but occasionally one of them germinates into something...... Go for it dude, but do your homework!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd expect you'll get a complete, large moto crated, air-freighted and cleared for less than that. Maybe cheaper again by sea. No assembly required.
    Contact the expert freight companies. Lots of info on HU

PS At least get a Honda 90 for comfortable, high-speed, long-distance cruising!

[Edit] Expect problems as a tourist trying to buy and insure a vehicle in most US states.

Now you said it: insurance in US for non-residents is a huge, huge problem.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Well Radar managed to post an entire Jeep home, piece by piece :D:D

original.jpg

Advertisement