Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Quarter Final: Redzerdrog vs Frankie Lee

• 30-01-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

Poll will be added when both teams are up, but votes in the thread with a little reasoning will be the ones that count towards the winner.
    Voting finishes 24 hours after the second player's team is announced.

Who wins? 12 votes

Redzerdrog
    0% 0 votes
    Frankie Lee
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

abIrsY4agw.png
    Use this11.com for drawing your football tactics

Have no idea where that line from the left and corner came from :o maybe it is just someones way of highlighting that Keane is my team as some seemed to focus more on Essien in the last game:pac:

I will just go through my team for now and I will reply once both teams are in.

My team is full of leaders and commitment certainly wont be an issue here. It is full of warriors who will not give and inch and will not back down. They will work like trojans without the ball but then also have to the quality and intelligence to dominate ever area of the game. It is a well balanced team and was selected to get the most out of every player rather than force certain individuals into a system that doesn't suit them.

Goalkeeper
    Nigel Martyn is one of the elite keepers here. At the turn of the century who was the best keeper in the league for a period. He is most certainly a strength to build on.

Defense
    My defense is extremely well balanced. I expect Varmaelen and Carragher to dovetail well. Both are very strong leaders. Carragher was the cornerstone of stingy Liverpool defenses for years and is big game player who will never let you down. Varmaelen has that touch of quality about him and in his first year in particular was the stand out cb in the league. He is also very good on the ball.
    My full backs are amongst the strongest in the draft. They are both quality defenders first and foremost but are also extremely strong and comfortable on the ball. Ashley Cole was the best full back in the world for a number of years and one of the best the game has ever seen. He is one of the few truely world class players in the draft. Rob Jones was regarded as one of the best defenders of his generation and was a very similar player to Cole. If it wasnt for injuries he would have been the no1 pick for RB in the draft, he was that talented. I expect both to get on the ball a lot more this game due to the extra cover provided in front.

Midfield
    The driving force of my team the inspirational leader which is Roy Keane. Does absolutely everything you want in a midfield player and more. To partner him Mikel Arteta who I think will dovetail perfectly with Keane. Arteta's range of passing will be a perfect platform for the team but he certainly does not need babysitting and is well able to put the foot in himself that is why I think himself and Keane will work so well together. Then there is the athletism and workrate of Ramirez into the mix making the midfield even more dynamic.

Keane will control the game from here but will also drive the team forward. I see Arteta playing a playmaking role. Providing another option to pick the ball from defence and setting up attack. He will shuffle to cover the left channel when needed but will rarely move forward leaving someone covering at all times. Ramires will play box to box but will specifically target the channel of Kolorov with Jones going outside and Tevez inside this channel. I can't see Kolorov getting much help from midfield here and if the CB shuffle over to help it will leave space for Wright and Le Tiss to cause damage.

Attack
    Free Role/ Inside Left what ever you want to call it I have Matt Le Tissier. Just to put things into context this guy has 161 goals in 443 games for SOUTHAMPTON that is a record of a goal ever 2.75 game which is incredible. In the 93-94 season he scored 25 league goals from midfield something which lampard, gerrard or scholes has never done. The next season he scored 30 goals for Southampton 20 of which were league goals. This type of peak performance is made even more remarkable it was for a struggling side like Southampton. I feel Le Tissier is very under appreciated in this draft and I can only presume most don't remember his peak, I was gona link a youtube clip only I don't know how.:o

Tevez was a little gem to get at the stage i got him. Again he will add bite to my attack. He will work like a demon, press and harry the opposition but most of all he has the ability to score and create plenty of goals. During his time in the league he was absolute quality and a key man in 3 title winning teams. He will play off the main striker in Wright. As mentioned already Tevez will target the channel between McGrath and Kolorov however I see him and Le Tiss causing havoc in the space between midfield and defence and fail to see Fernandiho coping.
    I think Wright will also work well with Tevez and Le Tiss. Ian Wright who is an amazing goal scorer. He has a record of 128 goals in 221 games for Arsenal. In 4 separate seasons he scored 30 goals for Arsenal. The peak being the 93-94 season when Wright scored 34 goals of which 23 where league goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

This game I will be attacking a lot.
    abIq9jgadM.png

I shall defend with a reasonably high line with Kolarov not really defending at all and operating as auxiliary winger. Kompany will press while McGrath will be slightly more sweeperish. Kelly will be relatively conservative and help maintain some stability. Ian Wright will probably nick a goal somewhere along the line though.

Midfield will be anchored by Fernandinho who has the pace, intelligence and energy to nullify Tevez to a certain extent (high defensive line will help too). He will cover space left by Kolarov too. He also distributes the ball well.
    Peak Paul Scholes will dictate the tempo of the game and offers a goal scoring threat. His range of passing and vision will be a major weapon on the counter attack also.
    Poyet will have licence to attack (arrows messed up a bit) the area which Vermaelen is supposed to be defending and will benefit from the service coming from the left hand side of the pitch. He will work his socks off also and offers a good physical presence at set pieces where Redzerdrog's team will be marginally worse off.

Football writers' association footballer of the year winner in 1993 Chris Waddle offers this team something completely different. Playing in whatever space is available to him his ability to effortlessly coast by players with skill and the vision he has in playing through balls to Ferdinand and Robben will help create loads of goalscoring chances. If Ashley Cole ventures too far forward he will move to the right to create a 4-3-3 which will stretch his defence further creating more space the speedy Robben and Ferdinand to exploit.
    Robben playing on the left has not been a regular sight in recent years. In his first season at Chelsea he was usually deployed in this role and was extremely effective. He will attempt to play in the space between Carragher and Jones dragging Carragher out of the equation and leaving Vermaelen exposed to the onrushing Poyet, Ferdinand and late arriving Scholes. If Rob Jones tucks in too much Kolarov will have ample room to cross for Poyet and Ferdinand.
    Ferdinand will attempt to stretch the opposition defence all day by running the channels. His goalscoring record in the first 5 years of the premier league was phenomenal and second only to Alan Shearer. Very much the complete striker before injuries started taking their toll.

I have a lot of respect for Redzerdrog's team. He has a very good keeper in Martyn, the best left back in the competition in Ashley Cole, 2 great leaders in Carragher and Keane. He also had some great late round picks in the draft in Tevez and Jones. Ian Wright is likely to score. Le Tissier is capable of putting the ball in the top corner with a 35 yard volley at any stage but with De Gea being a world class shot stopper that threat might be alleviated slightly.
    I'm hoping my strategy of overloading one side of my attack might be enough to create enough scoring chances to score the loads of goals I will need to win this game. It will not really his right hand side I will be targeting as it is solid but the intention is to create the space on the other side to punish Vermaelen who I have identified as his main weakness.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up 3-2 or 4-3 to either side.

I think Frankies team has somewhat played into my hands.

Firstly leaving ample space in behind Kolorov I expect Tevez to have a field say targeting that Channel.

Cole pretty much has be given a licence to attach down the left and will provide plenty of width outside Kelly as Le Tiss will free in the inside left channel with Kompany caught in between coming and going.

Peak Scholes is not the 30 year old Scholes that controlled midfield peak Scholes was arriving late into the box scoring goals he wont do that it this set up. He now has both Poyet and Waddle between where he is playing and where he should be. A 33 year old Waddle isnt going to have much of an impact on this game and overall I think Fernandinho will struggle to plug the midfield gap on his own bearing I mind he only has one decent season in league under his belt and seems to be struggling a bit this year, i know this years form isnt relevant.

That brings be the De Gea and his peak is undoubtly been this season and it is worth mentioning he is being considered on his previous years form not this years.

I like Frankies thinking of moving Robben away from Cole but with Ramires helping Jones I think we can nullify his biggest threat.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think Frankies team has somewhat played into my hands.

Firstly leaving ample space in behind Kolorov I expect Tevez to have a field say targeting that Channel.

Cole pretty much has be given a licence to attach down the left and will provide plenty of width outside Kelly as Le Tiss will free in the inside left channel with Kompany caught in between coming and going.

Peak Scholes is not the 30 year old Scholes that controlled midfield peak Scholes was arriving late into the box scoring goals he wont do that it this set up. He now has both Poyet and Waddle between where he is playing and where he should be. A 33 year old Waddle isnt going to have much of an impact on this game and overall I think Fernandinho will struggle to plug the midfield gap on his own bearing I mind he only has one decent season in league under his belt and seems to be struggling a bit this year, i know this years form isnt relevant.

That brings be the De Gea and his peak is undoubtly been this season and it is worth mentioning he is being considered on his previous years form not this years.

I like Frankies thinking of moving Robben away from Cole but with Ramires helping Jones I think we can nullify his biggest threat.

Kompany has the speed and strength to deal with Tevez.
    McGrath should be ok in the right hand channel. As I said there will be goals in this and I would expect Ian Wright to take his chance when it comes.
    Paul Scholes was controlling games alongside Keane long before he was 30, it is not a case of one of the other when his energy levels were higher.
    Waddle was 31 when the Premier league started but was 33 when he had this game. He will cause problems.
    A lot is being asked of Fernandinho but he played a key role in City's league title winning season last year in a similar role and given how good he was for Shakthar before he came to City it is fair to say his form wasn't a flash in the pan.
    De Gea has stepped up another level this season but has been very close to world class for at least two season's previously being named on the PFA team of the season in 2012/13. He is still solid.

Jones pushing forward helps me more by leaving Robben free to get at Carragher who was a top quality defender but never would have enjoyed dealing with a flying Robben.

I just realised that McGrath is playing Right Centre Back ugh I really hate CB's playing the opposite side to what they are used too, some handle it better than others but it is a big peeve of mine and many don't handle it. Maybe being a Liverpool fan I have more of an issue with it than most.

• Advertisement

Can't foresee any issues with Kompany on the left side, the fact he is normally on the right is more to do with his partners usually being left footed like Lescott, Nastasic and Mangala. He will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I wasn't a huge fan of how redzerdrog set up his team in the last round, but he has fixed that and I really like his set up this time around. His midfield three should work extremely well together and I think they will have more control of this game despite Frankie having Scholes in there, I don't think his three will work as effectively. Jones/Ramires/Tevez on the right hand side will wreak havoc against Kolarov/Scholes/Robben which is very poor defensively, I know he has great centre backs but they will get pulled all over the place trying to deal with redzers attack. I see Robben as Frankies biggest threat but between Jones, Ramires, Carragher and even Keane dropping back I think they will be able to deal with him overall. I agree that Frankie has sort of played into redzerdrogs hands by the way he has set them up this time around. One thing Frankie has going for him though is I think he will definitely score a goal due to rezderdrogs team being very short overall and he has some good aerial threats between his two CBs and then Poyet and Ferdinand. There will be goals but I'm going 3-1 to redzer and based on how he has his team set up this time, I would certainly not like to get him in the semi finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

I think frankie has no chance simply because of the high back line. Tevez will run and run, le tiss will knock it through for Wright all day long. I wouldn't be so certain if the same players had a better defensive set up, I like a lot of frankies players, but all out attack will not work here.
    I vote Redzerdog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Going to have to vote for Redzerdrog, a much better shape than last time out. I did worry about his width but Frankie has pretty much allowed Ashley Cole the freedom of the park with the way he has set up and that was the last thing he should have done.

I'm not as big a fan of Tevez as many are but he should work well with Le Tissier there, they will be a handle to keep tabs on and there is a very balanced midfield behind to support them.

Redzer has the weaker defence, but I'm not convinced Frankie will take advantage of that, I vote for Redzerdrog in a tactical victory.

One thing Frankie has going for him though is I think he will definitely score a goal due to rezderdrogs team being very short overall and he has some good aerial threats between his two CBs and then Poyet and Ferdinand. There will be goals but I'm going 3-1 to redzer and based on how he has his team set up this time, I would certainly not like to get him in the semi finals.

Having Waddle, Robben and Ferdinand left up top on the counter attack against an exposed Carragher and Vermaelen should see my team score more than once. Given how often Ramires will give the ball away and how the ball won't stick well to Ian Wright the opportunities for quick breaks will be there. If I am to lose I would be hoping that people put it down as a 4-3 loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'd go Redzerdrog too, think Frankies set up is too lose and I don't think Scholes suits the set up with Waddle playing free, I think Keane takes control of the Middle. Not having pure width on the right means Robben can be controlled more easier on the left.

Wright is more likely to take his chances than Ferdinand when they come.

The front three of Tevez, Wright and Le Tisser is excellent and complement each other's qualities well. Tevez running at and pulling the defence apart with LeT dinking neat balls through to Wright who doesn't need many chances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

My vote goes to Redzerdrog. His front three are very dangerous, they complement each other with dribbling and creativity behind the striker and I think Redzerdrog would have the upper hand in midfield, meaning plenty of ball for them. I think Keane sits on Waddle no problem, and then gets on with the work of running the midfield. Arteta would have the better of Poyet too. When Redzerdrog has the ball, Frankie Lee has a time of it to win it back. Poyet could put in a shift but Arteta at his best in his Everton days was also very mobile, and a better passer. It's only Scholes against Ramires where Frankie Lee has the edge. It's a very attacking diamond, and against two passers like Keane and Arteta, and the threat of Tevez and Le Tissier behind them, the balance isn't right. They don't have the ballwinning abilities necessary to protect the team well enough, and Redzerdrog's midfield is brilliant in possession itself.

Don't fancy Fernandinho in the holding role. He's got real work to do to keep track of Le Tissier on top of worrying about Cole coming forward. Cole is able to support the attack with complete freedom, there is an open flank ahead of him. If there's one area that Cole and Evra fall down on it's their final ball but with Le Tissier ahead of Cole, and the pair enjoying a two-on-one against Kelly at right back that's not as much of a concern. Frankie Lee's left hand side is potent and he has the better of it on that side of the pitch, but Redzerdrog's attack sees so much of the ball and with the defence inadequately protected against it I think that he wins this one in a goalfest. 4-2 to Redzerdrog.

Advertisement