Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Does any ant+ stick work as there seems to be quite a price difference between them.

Zwift doesn't support USB 1 (they ususally have a white plastic tab as part of the USB bit and instead works with USB2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Think so.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/suunto-movestick-mini/rp-prod72198
    I use this one, works brilliant and €33 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

They release a "Mobile Link" feature for the iOS app.
    If your sensors are Bluetooth LE compatable you can connect them to your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and have your laptop on the same wi-fi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

They release a "Mobile Link" feature for the iOS app.
    If your sensors are Bluetooth LE compatable you can connect them to your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and have your laptop on the same wi-fi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

jamesd wrote:

Same here.
    Works perfect and small enough to just leave plugged into laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

I use the Garmin Ant stick that came with my Garmin Edge 810

• Registered Users Posts: 15,653 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So I got my Ant+ USB stick and downloaded the software. Do people just log on a start pedaling or is there a more structured approach?

Do you take your planned turbo session and simply use Zwift as a way to liven up the session?

Is there a way to program in a session (a la TR) so that you have markers on the screen for intervals etc?

So I got my Ant+ USB stick and downloaded the software. Do people just log on a start pedaling or is there a more structured approach?

Do you take your planned turbo session and simply use Zwift as a way to liven up the session?

Is there a way to program in a session (a la TR) so that you have markers on the screen for intervals etc?

I just use it as a way to liven up my turbo session, I go on at 8pm every tuesday and meet up with a mate and we stat off together on either a flat or the hilly option.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Yes, you can create sessions as workouts based on your power zones. That will have banners across the road at each change. In addition, you can add in text messages, e.g. if you need to train at a different cadence. Just before you start to ride, you can select workouts. There's a good few already there, and you can create your own pretty easily. This gives a quick overview: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/zwifts-workout-mode.html.

They also have races which can be a bit of fun. I've done a few of the KISS ones on Mondays/Thursdays - they're flat out from the start if you want to stay up with some of the leading groups. Most of them are listed in the Zwift calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

jamesd wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/suunto-movestick-mini/rp-prod72198

For anyone interested. The Vivofit comes with a compatiable ANT+ key. Halfords selling a bundle pack at the mo for e59.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-technology/fitness-trackers/garmin-vivofit-slate-bundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

jayjbe wrote: »
    For anyone interested. The Vivofit comes with a compatiable ANT+ key. Halfords selling a bundle pack at the mo for e59.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-technology/fitness-trackers/garmin-vivofit-slate-bundle

Hmmm...thats really good value especially if you were thinking of buying a Ant+ stick seperately...My watch just broke and a spare HR strap wouldnt go astray either....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Koobcam wrote: »
    One of these will do the trick. I got one a while back and it works perfectly and is much cheaper than the Garmin one. You might need also to think about how close your computer is to the trainer or sensors. Basically, the job of the dongle is to pick up the ANT+ signals from your bike sensors and transmit them to the game, on your computer. I think the range of ANT+ is quite short, something like 5 metres, so if you have the computer (the dongle) too far away from the sensors, it might drop in and out. I usually leave my laptop close to the trainer (which has the sensors, a smart trainer) and plug it into a monitor to watch the game on, and use my mobile as the game controller. If you can't do something like this, then you'll need a decent length usb extension cable (about 5 metres should be grand) with male and female ends.
    . No need for a Garmin, you can use your phone (Android or iOS) to show data, and control the game.

Cheers, I was wondering why other Ant+ dongles were so expensive, ie. there isn't much to them !!
    Q1. If your smartfone is Ant+ compatible, can you use this instead of the dongle to transmit to PC, or is it just a receiver ?!
    Q2. If I get the dongle mentioned above, what software would I need to download ?

Anyone use Zwift with an android tv box?
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Marty.

Pretty sure it's Windows or Mac only for the moment, though they apparently are working on other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Marty.

Doubt it would have enough horsepower. Zwift needs a relativity high spec

Gave Zwift a try last night....first spin.
    My turbo is a basic Tacx blue motion.
    It worked flawlessly in fairness...very basic laptop aswell over a weakish WIFI connection.

I wasnt really sure what i was doing so just picked a workout "2*15 minute FTP" ..ive a rough estimate what my threshold heart rate is so i just aimed for that.
    Anyway it was really good...id recommend people to give it a try...all you need is an ant stick as chances are you will have everything else, i picked one up for a fiver!

My normal turbo sessions are 45min or 60min HIIT from youtube videos...what i found tough about Zwift was the lack of music so ill hook up my own for the next session.

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

I've been using it for the last few weeks. Definitely more interesting than a normal turbo session. J.Prendergast if you want to follow.

I am on it every Tuesday night at 8pm for an hour / 30 km spin.
    JAMESD PORTUMNACC is my name on it.

jamesd wrote: »
    I am on it every Tuesday night at 8pm for an hour / 30 km spin.
    JAMESD PORTUMNACC is my name on it.

Think I saw you on it so last night...definitely someone with portumnacc in their name.

Was surely me as I try and do the same time weekly, recovering from an injury now so just on it to keep the legs spinning. I see a lot more Irish flags on it lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

1914402_10154031882409913_7595354753317115833_n.jpg?oh=dbe951a0266cdb39780af2ab63423ac5&oe=578D56DF
    12748043_10154032276129913_6175034205462406990_o.jpg

The new mountain route is open, some tough hours ahead :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It's a good one alright. I gave it a shot just now. It's a proper climb, especially the last lung buster "Pretzel" stretch up to the mast.

I did 300m of it Tuesday night - nice and tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

For those who's trial has expired, they are offering a further 7 days to test the new course :)

Did a race on it last night...
    The calendar of "races" are here https://teamup.com/ks4861763bd63ce3d8/

Must say it was good, obviously its not structured training which is what youd normally use the turbo for, but no denying it was a good workout...was at threshold and higher 90% of the time.
    Marty.

Few Irish doing the new mountain routes yesterday. It might be an idea to set up some form of a group for ****e weather days like today.

Few Irish doing the new mountain routes yesterday. It might be an idea to set up some form of a group for ****e weather days like today.

Why not a few if us join one of the ZTR rides this evening.
    I'll be on one of them hopefully only cat c tho.
    Marty.

Definitely, not around today but in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

tried z power on the TT bike tonight. Did some comparison tests and it looks to be reasonably accurate compared to the power meter. Handy as it means I dont have to change wheels and cassettes to use the TT or Track bike on zwift now.

The new mountain is great for steady long efforts. We should organise a boards hill climb!

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    tried z power on the TT bike tonight. Did some comparison tests and it looks to be reasonably accurate compared to the power meter. Handy as it means I dont have to change wheels and cassettes to use the TT or Track bike on zwift now.

The new mountain is great for steady long efforts. We should organise a boards hill climb!

Do you mind me asking what turbo you tried this with?
    Marty.

Advertisement