Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what turbo you tried this with?
    Marty.

Tacx satori on the blue matic /level 3 iirc. It seems to be accurate to about +- 10 watts at 200 watts. Over reading by about 15ish watts at 255 watts. It's good enough for the tt bike, although I will probably buy a smart trainer aoon

Tacx t2240 smart flow trainer 239 on Halfords, with 20% off at till until wednesday 4th, so about 191.20, minus axa 10%. About 170 quid all in.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo...-turbo-trainer

Works with all the ant+ software like zwift, trainer road etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Does much noise come from the Kickr trainers? How do they compare to say a Tacx iFortius 1940 does anybody know?

First workout session on zwift with the smart trainer. excellent for hitting the exact zones leading to a very good quality workout. Need to do an ftp test on the trainer tho as the power still seems a bit off compared to the powertap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

lennymc wrote: »
    First workout session on zwift with the smart trainer. excellent for hitting the exact zones leading to a very good quality workout. Need to do an ftp test on the trainer tho as the power still seems a bit off compared to the powertap.

Did you go for the 2240 in halfords?
    Is so does the resistance change as the road goes up?
    Cheers
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Very tempted by the 2240 at that price. My only concern for zwift, trainerroad etc is about the 6% gradient maximum. Is that enough or is it going to be limiting? I don't mind holding off at this time of year to be honest if more would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Very tempted by the 2240 at that price. My only concern for zwift, trainerroad etc is about the 6% gradient maximum. Is that enough or is it going to be limiting? I don't mind holding off at this time of year to be honest if more would be better.

I've had the same, but in the TACX range, the next one up is only 7% (Tacx Vortex) and then I think the turbo trainer about that is at 15% (Tacx Boshido)

Not sure about the competition though

I wondered about the 6% aswell, but it can provide plenty of resistance and make you produce lots of watts going up a hill before blowing up. The 6% only limits your speed on the zwift world which is largely irrelevant. If you can spin up a 6%incline in a 53 11 or have and ftp of 400+watts then the 2240 might be a limiting factor. If not you won't find it a hinderance (unless you really really care about zwift times)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

Thanks Lenny, just picked one in Naas..... Great price... Quick test and setup using iPhone and all seems good.... Surprisingly quiet at low efforts ..... Will play with TrainerRoad and compare with Stages wattages and tacx rollers in the next few days....

How are you getting on Alan? I like the smart trainer. This week I have done sessions on my road, tt and track bike on zwift. Must buy a mountain bike next.

• Advertisement

Just did 'The Pretzel'. 72km, 1300 metres climbing. Including cool down, nearly 3 hours on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just did 'The Pretzel'. 72km, 1300 metres climbing. Including cool down, nearly 3 hours on the turbo.

That the Canyon Pretzel Challenge? Thinking of giving it a lash in the morning

on a group ride tonight and the leader mentioned there is a new London course coming!

london-map-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

Zwift London up and is live tnow ... Not sure scheduled days will be for Watopia, Richmond

Im entering a race tomorrow night....

http://zwiftblog.com/calendar/

"When: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:15 PM - 9:15 PM (Time zone: Dublin)
    Who: https://www.facebook.com/christian.wiedmann
    Where: London Classique
    Calendar: Race
    Repeats: Weekly on Wednesday
    Description
    Course: London Classique
    Distance: 4 laps

This is an experimental handicapped race. Race rules are as follows.

Before you race, enter your FTP into the following calculator to calculate your assigned weight and height: http://www.virtualonlinecycling.com/p/initial-handicap-calculator.html?

Enter your handicapped weight and height into Zwift on the dashboard (https://my.zwift.com/dashboard/dashboard). Note that the dashboard lets you enter one decimal place in the weight, so it is the preferred place to enter the information.

The race is in the event module - please join the event to participate.

Rules:
    1. No TT bikes.
    2. Please avoid using non-racers to gain an advantage when possible.
    3. No power-ups."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

No tt bikes in a virtual race? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

Im entering a race tomorrow night....

http://zwiftblog.com/calendar/

"When: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:15 PM - 9:15 PM (Time zone: Dublin)
    Who: https://www.facebook.com/christian.wiedmann
    Where: London Classique
    Calendar: Race
    Repeats: Weekly on Wednesday
    Description
    Course: London Classique
    Distance: 4 laps

This is an experimental handicapped race. Race rules are as follows.

Before you race, enter your FTP into the following calculator to calculate your assigned weight and height: http://www.virtualonlinecycling.com/p/initial-handicap-calculator.html?

Enter your handicapped weight and height into Zwift on the dashboard (https://my.zwift.com/dashboard/dashboard). Note that the dashboard lets you enter one decimal place in the weight, so it is the preferred place to enter the information.

The race is in the event module - please join the event to participate.

Rules:
    1. No TT bikes.
    2. Please avoid using non-racers to gain an advantage when possible.
    3. No power-ups."

Does the 6% max incline on the tacx flow restrict what races you can enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

ian_rush wrote: »
    Does the 6% max incline on the tacx flow restrict what races you can enter?

No, Zwift has a fairly good system for matching your speed on a given gradient to your wattage per kilo (although that leaves it open to a bit of virtual weight doping)

finished about 7th of 14 i think. Handicap was everyone set their ftp/weight to about 3 w/kg. 28km, 45 minutes or so. Tough enough, was watching the gap to people ahead of me and behind me, was on my own for a good bit, but caught someone and tucked in for a breather then attacked him with about 2k to go, managed to get a few seconds of a gap and kept it to the line.

As a way of making a turbo session interesting, and of getting some race simulations it's not the worst thing in the world. I'll definately try some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Hi lads don't want to derail, but I've just bought a jet black whisper, can any of you give me a quick few pointers on how to set up this to Zwift please, I have the speed sensors and its ant+, my bike trip is a garmin 500, any help greatly appreciated, in not the best gadget man, I have an iPad is it compatable? Thanks

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Zwift needs a laptop or computer. Windows and OS X are supported.

tuxy wrote: »
    Zwift needs a laptop or computer. Windows and OS X are supported.

I have both aswell, is it easy enough set up,

Yes it is but it looks like your trainer may not be supported yet.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565-Which-trainers-does-Zwift-support-

Yes it is but it looks like your trainer may not be supported yet.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565-Which-trainers-does-Zwift-support-

I have the power meter and on some other cycling forum I read that if you input the jet black fluid version it lets you use it. I'm a bit green in all of it really I thought it was just a case of downloading the Zwift app and syncing it to machine!!!! Any recommendations for other virtual ride programmes??

Is it a power meter or speed sensor? The problem with a speed sensor is that zwift need to program a power curve for it and it seem like they have not done this yet for the jetblack whisper. Zwift and Bkool are the only virtual riding software that I know of and I don't think they support that trainer but they may add support in the future.

Is it a power meter or speed sensor? The problem with a speed sensor is that zwift need to program a power curve for it and it seem like they have not done this yet for the jetblack whisper. Zwift and Bkool are the only virtual riding software that I know of and I don't think they support that trainer but they may add support in the future.
    Its a speed sensor, there is a jet black app that shows your output so I will just have to use that . And I was looking forward to the Zwift experience :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You can still use it for zwift with you garmin and speed/cadence sensors they create a virtual power output. It won't have the automated resistance settings which kinda makes the experience to be honest.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You can still use it for zwift with you garmin and speed/cadence sensors they create a virtual power output. It won't have the automated resistance settings which kinda makes the experience to be honest.

But they have not implemented a power curve for that trainer so I don't see how zPower will work.

• Advertisement

there is a site somewhere that has virtual power curves for lots of trainers. you could find one that is supported by zwift with a similar power curve to your trainer and use that. It wont be accurate compared to other trainers, but it should be in the ball park, and as long as your measurement is the same (ie, same trainer, with same power curve) each time you will get the benefit of the training.

Im sure there are lads on zwift putting in 30 kg less than they are and all that digital doping, but at the end of the day they are only fooling themselves so I wouldnt worry about using a similar power curve for zPower. Try it out, see if you enjoy it!

Advertisement