Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Zwift is very easy to setup btw. You will need a usb ant+ dongle for your pc or mac and zwift will then detect your speed sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

tuxy wrote: »
    Zwift is very easy to setup btw. You will need a usb ant+ dongle for your pc or mac and zwift will then detect your speed sensor.

Thanks lad, I will get one today, btw how much does it cos per month for Zwift ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

its 10 usd a month iirc, but strava premium members get 2 months free.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

What ant+ sticks are lads using?? Anyone use the wahoo? Just trying to pick best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Coming to iPhone an iPad, to watch the cycling on (as opposed to just the Mobile Link), according to Shane Miller - Daily Lama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgh2RVEEwVk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Dragging up an old thread rather than starting a new one. Anyone done any racing on zwift? How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The racing is good craic. It's also surprisingly tough. The races are divided into categories depending on your FTP and W/Kg. If you're in the correct category it can be balls out from the start to just hang in the group. It's realistic enough in that you can save wattage by staying in the group but if you let a gap open up it takes a fair bit of effort to get back on. It's also realistic enough in knowing when to attack or timing your gallop for the sprint.
    There's always a few riders who are far too strong for the category and they power off from the start but don't win as they get DQ for being over powered.
    There's a fair few options to suit different types of riders. Watopia Hilly or London loop suit climbers a bit better. Richmond or London classic or Volcano are more for the stronger sprinters/ TT.
    It's probably not the best if you are trying to do structured training but for a blast around with loads of changes of pace and a challenge I find it good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any of you folks using this trainer with zwift? Looking for a smart trainer to use with zwift and seriously trying to save my credit card from the lure of the super fancy €1000+ ones (but christ it is hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Any of you folks using this trainer with zwift? Looking for a smart trainer to use with zwift and seriously trying to save my credit card from the lure of the super fancy €1000+ ones (but christ it is hard)

Check this out. Works perfect with Zwift in EGR mode. 510euro with Axa 15% December discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Thought I would post an update about the Halford's €214 (or €192 less AXA discount) Elite Nuvo Smart trainer that was posted on the Bargain Alerts thread (link).

461874?w=637&h=403

Setting it up was easy enough and the documentation confirms that it's a 'Elite Novo' frame and a "Digital Smart B+" resistance unit with a 30mm diameter roller. It's nice and stable. I have signed up to the 12 months free subscription of MyETraining app - although I haven't actually used it. Their website is the worst I've ever seen. It's brutal.

Pairing the trainer with the app was straight forward using the QR code. It comes up as "Novo Smart" and I am using Bluetooth as my phone doesn't have ANT+ hardware. I will try the different programs later and update, but right now it feels very easy low resistance - way easier than the Aldi fluid trainer, I have no problem keeping up good cadence on the fastest gear, which sounds wrong. There's an assessment program in MyETraining app - but it requires a heart rate monitor, which I don't have. Also don't have an ANT+ dongle for connecting the laptop.

I tried pairing the trainer to my Forerunner 230 watch - and while it connected within seconds, the speed is all over the place. Sometimes I am doing 10-15kmph but sometimes I am doing well over 200kmph. I am not sure what exactly is happening. I had set the wheel size as 700mm in the watch - not sure if that's correct - but doesn't explain the speed variation anyway.

Overall, it's not looking very good at the moment for this trainer. I will update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

PS: Figured out Wheel size is different to rim size, and changed it to 2130 (based on 700c rim + 28mm tyre etc), but shame the speed still all over the place in Garmin Forerunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Works great for me RQ, disgusted with my 1st ever ftp score so I am off doing one of their 6 week ftp builder programmes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Moved posts from BA thread

catweazle wrote: »
    Works great for me RQ, disgusted with my 1st ever ftp score so I am off doing one of their 6 week ftp builder programmes

Cool beans. Easy to just plug in and play or does it require some setting up?

Cool beans. Easy to just plug in and play or does it require some setting up?

Never mind that. Gone out and bought...if its good enough for catz.... :pac:
    Should get 50 quidish for my old turbo, so really this one was only 150ish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Some nice justification there, that's exactly what I said to myself! I made a few silly mess ups but easily sorted.

I couldn't find my ant+ stick
    My laptop was too old for Bluetooth
    Internet in shed wasn't good enough

So into currys bought a Bluetooth stick and ran the wrath of the mrs by moving up to the attic, I use the app mobile link from the iPad, once I got going no issues since.

I have only done work outs programs so far, if I can get my ftp up a little better I will try racing early in the new year. So basically the 6 week ftp,builder beginner program- sound down on Zwift and some trance music to accompany me on the slog, it's going ok so far for me - picking turbo sessions ahead of a run these days which is unheard of for me but when you are 10kgs over what you should be the runs are desperate slogs anyways :(

2 1/2s hopefully for me, Galway in July if I am around and Lisbon in September is the A race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Has anyone paired it up with Sufferfest and Powertap pedals? Very tempted to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

positron wrote: »

I tried pairing the trainer to my Forerunner 230 watch - and while it connected within seconds, the speed is all over the place. Sometimes I am doing 10-15kmph but sometimes I am doing well over 200kmph. I am not sure what exactly is happening. I had set the wheel size as 700mm in the watch - not sure if that's correct - but doesn't explain the speed variation anyway.

Overall, it's not looking very good at the moment for this trainer. I will update.

I have an Elite Turno with a similar kind of issue when it's paired to my bike computer. It doesn't seem to be an issue with Zwift, from memory.

My theory is that the speed sensor on my front wheel (which is reading 0 km/hr) might be interfering with the speed from the turbo, and causing the head unit to get mixed up.

Haven't gotten around to testing it yet, because I'm mostly training to power anyway. But if that is the case, I'll have to switch the wheel sensor to the back hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

If you're into Teams on ZwiftPower, Team Ireland is now a thing.

Team Ireland Links: It's for anyone even remotely connected with the Island.

Join up and append a "[IRL]" to your surname in the game.
    Which is a standard e-sports notation for in game team name.

If the team gets enough members, we can apply to get an in-game kit.
    Until such time, the people decided to use "Basic Kit #2" for Races.

You can use the Facebook Group to communicate with others ahead of events like the KISS Community League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

what turbo did ye get ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

woody1 wrote: »
    what turbo did ye get ?

That was a bit over a year ago so may not be relevant anymore as tech and price has changed.

If it helps I got an Elite Novo Smart recently. €210 + a Tacx riser for €13. Works great with Zwift.

Advertisement