Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of collection from Mahons in Trim

• 30-01-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭

I got a letter during the week saying Mahons waste are introducing a new 140L food waste bin in February, and a part of this new system will mean that the waste collection service will change to biweekly for all three bins. I rang them today to confirm if this meant that the actual rubbish collection was being changed to every two weeks instead of every week, and the bloke i spoke to said yes, rubbish collection will be once every two weeks from February onwards. Apparently a lot of people have been saying that they dont need weekly collections, so they have decided to cut collection in half but no change in price.

I think this is a bit sneaky considering i paid a full years fees in December in advance and then a few weeks later get a letter to say service is being reduced so much. While I do recycle as much as possible, and my recycle bin is always full (to the point i pay for extra recylce bags from the shop), i need my rubbish bin every week. Its a bit much to take full payment on what I've been getting for the past ten years and then they decide to cut service like this.

I rang them today and spoke to a guy from Panda, who it appears have taken over Mahons, but he said this has nothing to do with Panda, and the change of service is purely down to Mahons, and that a customer service manager would call me back to discuss opions. Nobody called me back today anyway.

Anybody else notice this reduction of service after paying their bill? Any ideas what the options are for a weekly service? I rang Thornton's and they said they only service every two weeks as well, but would provide a second rubbish bin free of charge so two could be out at the same time. Ideally though I dont want my back garden to become a wheelie bin car park. Any ideas on alternatives would be appreciated, as I am well fcuked off with Mahons at the moment. I dont even need a food waste bin, I dont throw much food out and certainly not enough to warrant another bin I dont even want. Thorntons are actually cheaper than Mahons, so it looks like I'll be looking for my money back from Mahons and going to them instead, but I'd really like to know if anybody knows any other options.

I'm based in Trim. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I agree and I might do the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yep, am thinking same. I don't use the waste bin much normally, every two weeks is usually ok, but I do use it more during summer (grass cuttings) and it's good to know that it's weekly when you need it if you ever have a lot of waste to go out for whatever reason. Two weeks is a long time to wait, and if you miss a collection being away or whatever, it'll mean a month between collections potentially.

I agree though on the money side of it, it's less service for the same money. I think it's disgraceful that the bin companies get licenses based on this service. It doesn't encourage recycling and it encourages dumping imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭shane b

I got the same letter. I live about 2 miles from summerhill and have been using Mahons for the past 3 years. In that time our bins have only ever been collected every 2 weeks even if we put out both on the other week only one would be emptied. I have rang Mahons a couple of times but no-one ever picked up.
    There are cheaper companies but a lot dont cover the Trim/Summerhill area. I f anyone knows alternative providers I would be interested in knowing who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BouncyBunny

Hi I got the same letter, and when I telephoned to complain they offered to credit my a/c by €27. I paid in Dec for four months, so technically they have broken my contract by switching to biweekly collection. I asked for at least the compost bin as they provide that in other areas but they said no, I'm not happy and will take further action as I live just outside of Trim [in a large housing area] we don't get the compost bin, its a joke. And we've no other option as no other waste collection company will do our area. Frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

Hi I got the same letter, and when I telephoned to complain they offered to credit my a/c by €27. I paid in Dec for four months, so technically they have broken my contract by switching to biweekly collection. I asked for at least the compost bin as they provide that in other areas but they said no, I'm not happy and will take further action as I live just outside of Trim [in a large housing area] we don't get the compost bin, its a joke. And we've no other option as no other waste collection company will do our area. Frustrating.

Hi bouncybunny.
    I've now switched to thorntons, they gave me two rubbish bins for cheaper than mahons new cut back service, and a recycle bin. I'm getting my money paid to mahons put back on my credit card.
    To be fair, the two ladies I spoke to in mahons / panda were really nice, helpful and apologetic that they couldnt offer better service. It was some lad I spoke to in there who really p*ssed me off with his massive attitude problem. If you ring thorntons in park west they'll sort it out quickly for you, I got my new bins in a couple of days and they can take credit card payment over the phone. You have to wait to get the new bins before you can pay though as your new account number comes on the invoice that they bring with the bin delivery.
    Funny, I see Thornton trucks a a lot more in Meath, I guess a lot of people are annoyed at these sneaky changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement