Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colour matching question

• 30-01-2015 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am starting a new job soon that requires me to wear more formal attire than usual. I am thinking of wearing black shoes, black slacks, white shirt. Now my question is what jumper/sweater colour goes with black slacks/shoes? I'd like it to be elegant so no vibrant colours. Do navy and black go hand in hand? What colour slacks would a navy jumper go with?

Also if I was to get grey slacks, what colour jumper/shirt would suit that look mostly?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TwoGuysDublin

Hey. First off, congrats on the new job :)

Navy is my fav colour. Not only because it looks great but because it's so versatile.

With a navy pair of trousers(as opposed to black) you've got a great base to work off. Navy slacks, light grey jumper and white shirt always look great. Normal shade grey too; and navy goes great with brighter colours if you wanted to get a little bit more adventurous and add some colour in the summer months. Actually, think of a colour and it probably goes with navy: pink, light blue, red, orange, brown etc.

Another great thing about navy trousers is that brown works so well with them so a brown pair of shoes would be a great move.

Personally I think there's nothing nicer than navy and brown as a trouser/shoe combo.

If you'd prefer to go with black trousers then again, light grey, normal grey, navy jumper works. It just doesn't have the same ping for me as navy trousers.

Hopefully that helps, any other questions I'd be happy to chip in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭scuderia

Hey. First off, congrats on the new job :)

Navy is my fav colour. Not only because it looks great but because it's so versatile.

With a navy pair of trousers(as opposed to black) you've got a great base to work off. Navy slacks, light grey jumper and white shirt always look great. Normal shade grey too; and navy goes great with brighter colours if you wanted to get a little bit more adventurous and add some colour in the summer months. Actually, think of a colour and it probably goes with navy: pink, light blue, red, orange, brown etc.

Another great thing about navy trousers is that brown works so well with them so a brown pair of shoes would be a great move.

Personally I think there's nothing nicer than navy and brown as a trouser/shoe combo.

If you'd prefer to go with black trousers then again, light grey, normal grey, navy jumper works. It just doesn't have the same ping for me as navy trousers.

Hopefully that helps, any other questions I'd be happy to chip in.

Thanks. I already have black slacks. I ended up buying a grey jumper. I am looking to get a grey pair of slacks too with which I would like to wear a navy jumper, if that works?

Thanks for your help. appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Navy, grey, charcoal and black are good colours to go for looking for work wear and mixing them up a bit. Brown good colour too. You could add in a splash of colour too other than white such as pink, light colours. Teal, beige, cream, peach, light red/pink, orangey red be a good colour. Most greys be ok. Depends what colours suit you as well and what go well with your outfits.

Blazer, Jumper/cardigan with trousers or cord dry aren't bad combinations. Dresses that you could add dark leggings with be nice too. Shoes anything black, grey, navy or brown would do.

scuderia wrote: »
    Thanks. I already have black slacks. I ended up buying a grey jumper. I am looking to get a grey pair of slacks too with which I would like to wear a navy jumper, if that works?

Thanks for your help. appreciate it.

It does work but obviously the shades will dictate how well. Lighter grey trousers and a navy jumper would look well. What shade of grey are you looking at? It's a small thing, but maybe look at getting trousers without the seam down the front. I prefer them without and I think it's a little detail that adds a bit of style.

I'm a noob here so I can't post URLs but I'll DM you a link to some nice trousers which might work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭scuderia

It does work but obviously the shades will dictate how well. Lighter grey trousers and a navy jumper would look well. What shade of grey are you looking at? It's a small thing, but maybe look at getting trousers without the seam down the front. I prefer them without and I think it's a little detail that adds a bit of style.

I'm a noob here so I can't post URLs but I'll DM you a link to some nice trousers which might work for you.

If you Google "Daniel Craig Spectre" and go in to the images, that's the look I'm going for.

• Advertisement

Sorry it won't let me send you a PM. Go online to House of Fraser and search for "Linea Vinci Formal Birdseye Trousers"

I have two pairs of these, one in grey and one in charcoal. For the price at the moment on House of Fraser they're very good value. I did get them taken up and slimmed and they're great trousers that look very smart.

scuderia wrote: »
    If you Google "Daniel Craig Spectre" and go in to the images, that's the look I'm going for.

Just Googled it there. So those trousers have no seam down the front. They look smart. The Linea trousers on HoF are exactly what you're looking for. And that shade of navy goes very well with those trousers. As you'd expect from Mr.Bond.

The charcoal would be the closest in shade to what he has on.

Advertisement