Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Axwell wrote: »
    For me that was a classless move by Conor. I couldnt care less what he or Aldo say to each other the whole tour, its all part of selling the fight and the build up. Putting asses on seats and selling pay per views, and Conor does all that stuff as good if not better than most. But when it comes to another fighter and in Aldos case the belt there should be respect. I am a believer in the term respect isnt given it has to be earned. Conor says he respects any man who gets inside the cage, if thats the case then he should respect Aldo as a champion, something he himself thrives to be and shouldnt have crossed the line touching the belt or touching Aldo either on the Canadian tv show. Hes pushing the limits that little bit too much because Uncle Dana likes him but he should know better.

How do you feel about Aldo pushing Mendes during their media day with no provocation? Is that how you build respect?

People keep talking about Aldo as if he's whiter than white innocent party. He's tried to fan plenty of flames for this and previous fights. We tend to ignore it due to the language barrier and the fact he's just not as good at it as Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

ASOT wrote: »
    Havnt a clue I didn't bother going over I went for the event not the gargle, seemed to be in a minority

I had a glass of coke (wasn't even full!) and it cost me near 4 euros I believe. Was worth it tho, was parched from singing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

That was mortifying. Half of those boys looked ripe for roles as extras in Love/Hate movies.

I was thinking the same thing haha ****ing scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I had a glass of coke (wasn't even full!) and it cost me near 4 euros I believe. Was worth it tho, was parched from singing :p

Yeah I was dying for a drink me and butler ended up getting a can of monster of Norman Parke he cleared out the fridge :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hate that bleedin Ricky Hatton chant too from 10 years ago when he fought in Las Vegas (only one Ricky Hatton...).

Ricky Hatton chant??? lmfao.
    Because that's the only place you'll hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

darced wrote: »

That's your opinion.

Mine is that Aldo could have taken the high ground, not goaded McGregor in Boston right before he fought, not talked crap throughout the entire tour, not made a big deal about being touched after he shoved Mendes before his last fight, not egged on the Brazilian crowd when they were abusing McGregor (who acted so bad that Dana had to stop the Q&A after 5 minutes) but he did.

We judge our own more, it's only natural, but I don't think anyone comes out of this without some level of embarrassment, be it the Irish or Brazilian fans, Aldo or McGregor.

Aldo is a big boy, he chose to play the game, to stoke up the rivalry and both sets of fans and he got his wish. People need to stop treating him like he's some weak character that we should have sympathy for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I dont like the using the term bandwagon for those fans. That means you get interested in a sport when it becomes popular and you begin following it. I have no problems with people doing that is great for the sport and for fans of it to see it grow. I love talking to new fans and explaining aspects of the sport and why its great. Yes you have to put up with a few stupid arguments but that goes for every sport when people just start watching. I have joined many bandwagons over the years including staying up to watch the irish bobsleigh team and the cricket team.

Showing up to shout at someone because you can get on tv is being a bit of a ****ing idiot. They didnt stay for the q and a and most wont go to the events. There were idiots and you can call them knackers or scum or whatever you like but dont let them ruin your perspective on the sport, the proper irish fans or even the majority of people that jump on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The problem with Conor from what I see is that he's too forced. Way OTT and contrived. Needs to step it down a couple of levels. If it's not forced then he really is one odd character!

• Advertisement

califano wrote: »
    I think you are getting mixed up with the national concert hall and joke shop boxing. Back to the boxing forum with you!. And its lose by the way not loose.

I have a sneaky feeling that you were one of the band wagoners there last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

McGregor is everything the UFC could want. He'll be a complete showpiece superstar for the UFC if he beats Aldo. It's all for show as well. McGregor knows that the more cocky, arrogant and brash he is the more attention and money he will get. As someone who has never watched UFC before he is attracting many people and will make many people tune in for his fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

"Live now, a bunch of Brazilians yelling at Conor McGregor"

It was almost entirely middle-school level insults being thrown by the Brazilian "fans", not even worth translating.

One said his mother was a tranny, another said he dressed "like a fag", etc. etc. Paula Sack was constantly telling them all to be respectful. It was like watching an arena full of 7th grade bullies try to talk **** in a foreign language and just getting nothing in return. I'm surprised Conor stayed relatively composed to be honest.

Pretty weak, Brazil. You can do better.

Props to Conor for withstanding the barrage of third grade bull**** dealt out to him in this ambush of a Q&A. Just compare that to any other Fight Club Q&A, what a total clusterfeck. I guess Brazilians just can't act civil.

McGregor is my fecking hero. Having to deal with that amount of screaming knob ends didn't phase him one bit. Told them to their faces that he's going to dismantle their hero and then left the door open for them to become McGregor fans after. Smart man
    a lot of things were not translated. they were very rude with some of the questions. Some one said he mom was a transvestite. Any time you hear the girl talk she's saying how good he is and for the fans to show warmth and be respectful.

My Portuguese isn't perfect, but I understood about 70% of it and it was all pretty... weaksauce. Nothing clever or funny. Just people calling him gay, ugly, stupid and say he is gonna get knocked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Well that was nuts. I was very merry when leaving it lastnight thinking it was the best thing ever, but rewatching on the walk to work this morning was quite cringeworthy.

The fact people were in the centre drinking for an hour an a half before they came out probably didn't help.

Probably only about 5 legitimate questions asked, and they were the first 5. After that it just went crazy and as others said, mob mentality took over.

That "chuckie arr law" question . Shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

glued wrote: »
    McGregor knows that the more cocky, arrogant and brash he is the more attention and money he will get.

Congratulations that man. Someone who gets it.

Does anyone really think that the behaviour Conor shows in front of the camera is the "real" McGregor? From what I know of him, and what I have heard from others who have worked with him in his days on the Irish scene, he is a sensible civil guy. But he has talked his way from being on the dole to being probably top 3 hottest tickets in the UFC along with Ronda and Jones.

Of course he has backed it up spectacularly in the cage so far and I do think he deserves his shot, mainly because as Dana said, the other main contenders have all had a shot and lost. But there is no doubt that McGregor's mouth has guaranteed the shot that his fists would probably have earned by themselves.

He will make a fortune from this fight, win or lose. So will Aldo. Aldo will probably make more for this fight than he ever has before, simply because Conor is hyping it so much.

The "fan" questions last night were a shambles. I hope that the UFC will learn from this and the Brazil Q&A and stop doing fan Q&A events for occasions like this. A media Q&A with fans present would have worked better. You would still have had the epic atmosphere and plenty of chanting and even abuse thrown, but you wouldn’t be giving these mugs a mike to make their drunken point. I’m sure there will be an element of that ar$ehole behaviour in Vegas, but hopefully the average tube that showed up with a free ticket yesterday will not be as inclined to put a few thousand € on the line to travel to Vegas.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. The more important thing to take from last night is that the UFC have definitively said that they will be back in Ireland this year. How and where is the question. If McGregor wins, obviously Conor will push hard for a title defence in Ireland and it would be a waste to have that happen in the 3 Arena or whatever it’s called. But if he fights in July, the defence (or comeback fight) will be probably October or thereabouts? Croke Park, the Aviva etc are difficult to pull off in July, impossible in October.

Plus the UFC are pushing the whole line about “Dublin need to recognise the financial impact of a UFC event”. That’s shortsighted on their part IMO. Dublin recognised the financial impact of 5 nights straight of Garth Brooks concerts and it still didn’t happen due to red tape and the Croke Park residents.

I don’t think the residents would have the same power in this case as the Brooks deal was killed by the agreement over “non-sporting events”. An MMA event would not fall foul of those rules, but it’s clear that the UFC will only do Croker if they can hold it in the wee hours, like they did in Sweden recently. That is where the bureaucrats and the resident’s association will come in. There are curfews in place which would need to be worked around and if the RA were up in arms about 80k country music fans pouring out into their streets, I can image their faces when asked if they would mind 80k “cage fighting” fans not only pouring through their streets, but doing so at 5am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

McGregor is pretty unbearable. I'm hoping that Aldo kicks the living **** out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Was shocked nobody asked Dana whether any of the other Irish fighters who done the Q&A afterwards were going to get a spot on the Vegas card. That along with the mass exodus after the Aldo - McGregor face-off showed there was a lot of fair-weather fans that were in attendance.
    That said though it was such a wild conference to attend live, loved (nearly) every minute of it and it definitely whet the appetite for July!

gaius c wrote: »
    McGregor is pretty unbearable. I'm hoping that Aldo kicks the living **** out of him.

After all this ridiculous OTT hype I think Conor could do without getting sparked out. It will be a case of "wtf was all that nonsense about?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

The dream is still close!

3rd time lucky if I ask in Vegas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

but1er wrote: »
    The dream is still close!

3rd time lucky if I ask in Vegas!

After the millions Dana has spent on Conor since entering the UFC, I don't think anything will give him more joy than strapping that belt on himself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

sheehy83 wrote: »
    After the millions Dana has spent on Conor since entering the UFC, I don't think anything will give him more joy than strapping that belt on himself :)

Hmm I know that's the worse part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Anybody know at this stage what time this fight will be on on the day/following morning and how we can watch over here?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Anybody know at this stage what time this fight will be on on the day/following morning and how we can watch over here?

Main card will probably be from about 2-5am and the McGregor fight at around 4ish.

Will be on BT Sport, possibly on one of the terrestrial channels on delay too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Turned that fan Q&A on for about 2 minutes. It was cringe material to watch. embarrassing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

DrPhilG wrote: »
    There are curfews in place which would need to be worked around and if the RA were up in arms about 80k country music fans pouring out into their streets, I can image their faces when asked if they would mind 80k “cage fighting” fans not only pouring through their streets, but doing so at 5am!

Isn't the event this weekend on a lot earlier, at a time even whereby if the same schedule was used in Ireland it wouldn't fall foul to the curfew restrictions.

A fan asked Dana White yesterday if they were using this weekend as a test case for having an event broadcast earlier in the US in case they decide to go ahead with Croker, Dana said Yes.

Kop On wrote: »
    A fan asked Dana White yesterday if they were using this weekend as a test case for having an event broadcast earlier in the US in case they decide to go ahead with Croker, Dana said Yes.

Ah, didn't see that.

What time does the weekend show start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Ah, didn't see that.

Main card starts at 6pm I think.

Ah, didn't see that.

I'm trying to work that out.

BT Sport 1 are broadcasting from 10pm - 1am but the show is called UFC Live Repeats ... the word "Repeats" is confusing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Isn't the event this weekend on a lot earlier, at a time even whereby if the same schedule was used in Ireland it wouldn't fall foul to the curfew restrictions.

That was a journalist that asked. Big difference though is it is not a ppv. If mcgregor was fighting in croker it would be a ppv

• Advertisement

I'm trying to work that out.

BT Sport 1 are broadcasting from 10pm - 1am but the show is called UFC Live Repeats ... the word "Repeats" is confusing me!

If I'm not mistaken, the app,is saying 6pm Saturday. BT's 'live repeat' was done before for the Australian and Dubai events I think. It doesn't suit them to have the UFC on early.

That was a journalist that asked. Big difference though is it is not a ppv. If mcgregor was fighting in croker it would be a ppv

I suppose then the challenge is for Dana and Lorenzo to make sure the card is attractive enough for people to purchase it on PPV even though it's on early.

The timing of it is the biggest barrier I think, they won't be able to do anything there until next summer. A lot can happen between then and now in the career of McGregor...

If I'm not mistaken, the app,is saying 6pm Saturday. BT's 'live repeat' was done before for the Australian and Dubai events I think. It doesn't suit them to have the UFC on early.

So is that 6pm US Time the main card starts at?

I could be wrong but isn't there a restriction as well that they can't show UFC on tele here or the UK before the watershed at 9pm?

So is that 6pm US Time the main card starts at?

I could be wrong but isn't there a restriction as well that they can't show UFC on tele here or the UK before the watershed at 9pm?

No starts at 6pm gmt. I hadn't thought of the watershed. You're right, BT sport won't show before 9pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That's what I'm saying. It's farcical the way the UFC sets up these things.

Well of course. The whole thing is a soap opera. The actual bouts are far too short, even for hardened fans to be anything close to entertaining so they need these long drawn out publicity runs to get the exposure.

That being said, I like CM and he is the first to say its all about money and publicity but the actual "bout" at the end of it is usually a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

I suppose then the challenge is for Dana and Lorenzo to make sure the card is attractive enough for people to purchase it on PPV even though it's on early.

The timing of it is the biggest barrier I think, they won't be able to do anything there until next summer. A lot can happen between then and now in the career of McGregor...

To be honest i would be very surprised if they went for croker as they wont sell it out IMO. Croker has a capacity of 82'000 ...the biggest gate to date was St-pierre vs shields at 55'000 - in a country many many times the size of ireland and with a much larger and establised fan base.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Well of course. The whole thing is a soap opera. The actual bouts are far too short, even for hardened fans to be anything close to entertaining so they need these long drawn out publicity runs to get the exposure.

That being said, I like CM and he is the first to say its all about money and publicity but the actual "bout" at the end of it is usually a let down.

Speak for yourself.

what a load of nonsense.

Speak for yourself.

what a load of nonsense.

Just saying it as I see it.
    Other sports do the same thing where oftentimes the lead up or drama surrounding an event it often more entertaining than the actual event.
    If you call what happened last night as anything other than pre planned and staged you'd want to take a look at how you view the world.

kippy wrote: »
    Just saying it as I see it.
    Other sports do the same thing where oftentimes the lead up or drama surrounding an event it often more entertaining than the actual event.
    If you call what happened last night as anything other than pre planned and staged you'd to take a look at how you view the world.

How you see it is completely wrong.

How you see it is completely wrong.

Fair enough.

To be honest i would be very surprised if they went for croker as they wont sell it out IMO. Croker has a capacity of 82'000 ...the biggest gate to date was St-pierre vs shields at 55'000 - in a country many many times the size of ireland and with a much larger and establised fan base.

Dana and McGregor have mentioned Croker a number of times, it doesn't look like any other outdoor venue (for Ireland) is under consideration. McGregor was actually pictured on the pitch there a few months ago and preliminary talks were already held.

It's a big call to sell 80,000+ tickets, but if they are priced right they will sell. If Garth Brooks can sell 400,000 ticket then I'd be confident enough they will sell out Croker for the UFC, especially if Conor is defending a title.

• Advertisement

Dana and McGregor have mentioned Croker a number of times, it doesn't look like any other outdoor venue (for Ireland) is under consideration. McGregor was actually pictured on the pitch there a few months ago and preliminary talks were already held.

It's a big call to sell 80,000+ tickets, but if they are priced right they will sell. If Garth Brooks can sell 400,000 ticket then I'd be confident enough they will sell out Croker for the UFC, especially if Conor is defending a title.

Its a big ask and imo i just cant see it happening, comparing the UFC to garth brooks does nobodies argument any good either.

Apples and oranges.

Lets not forget he also has to win the belt first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Its a big ask and imo i just cant see it happening, comparing the UFC to garth brooks does nobodies argument any good either.

Apples and oranges.

Lets not forget he also has to win the belt first.

You obviously haven't seen Chris Gaines' kimura technique!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To sell out Croker, it would have to be priced right. A lot of music events have sold out recently but they are for a wider audience. McGregor will bring a big crowd but how big I'm not too sure. Reasonably priced tickets will bring a crowd I think and maybe even a few new fans who don't want to miss out.

Has to bring the title back first tho, as champion not after taking it off a table :)

I am getting more confident in him lately though, seems to be getting in Aldo's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

How do you think today's UFC Embedded will spin the fan event yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Plus the UFC are pushing the whole line about “Dublin need to recognise the financial impact of a UFC event”. That’s shortsighted on their part IMO. Dublin recognised the financial impact of 5 nights straight of Garth Brooks concerts and it still didn’t happen due to red tape and the Croke Park residents.
    The residents weren't happy, but the decision was entirely Dublin City Council's to make. Whether they revignaised the value or not, they didn't act on it.
    I don’t think the residents would have the same power in this case as the Brooks deal was killed by the agreement over “non-sporting events”. An MMA event would not fall foul of those rules, but it’s clear that the UFC will only do Croker if they can hold it in the wee hours, like they did in Sweden recently. That is where the bureaucrats and the resident’s association will come in. There are curfews in place which would need to be worked around and if the RA were up in arms about 80k country music fans pouring out into their streets, I can image their faces when asked if they would mind 80k “cage fighting” fans not only pouring through their streets, but doing so at 5am!
    It's nothing got to do with the RA tbh.
    The time constraint is a condition of the planning permission, it also applies to Aviva. There's essentially no way around it without applying for an isolated permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Has anyone ever been to a premier league match?

Thousands of fans abusing a player gig family his mother etc, happens every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been to a premier league match?

Thousands of fans abusing a player gig family his mother etc, happens every match.

What a ridiculous comparison. Vastly different when you've isolated someone and given them a microphone. Still doesn't justify or excuse it in the football grounds mind.

Regardless, this "but but but, it happens elsewhere therefore it's OK" argument is embarrassing. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard. That shambolic event yesterday was nothing short of pathetic. For a sport that's trying to grow (which we hear statistics about repeatedly but let's not pretend it's anything close to the mainstream in this country), it projects a very bad image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

What a ridiculous comparison. Vastly different when you've isolated someone and given them a microphone. Still doesn't justify or excuse it in the football grounds mind.

Regardless, this "but but but, it happens elsewhere therefore it's OK" argument is embarrassing. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard. That shambolic event yesterday was nothing short of pathetic. For a sport that's trying to grow (which we hear statistics about repeatedly but let's not pretend it's anything close to the mainstream in this country), it projects a very bad image.
    my point is the majority of people who are outraged at yesterday's antics probably support teams whose fans do a lot worst every week but don't bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Just watched the press conference.. At times it was shambolic, but what do you expect, at a free event. You're going to get alot of bandwagoning skangers.

It wasn't as bad as some people were making out, but there were definitely a few absolute gombeens ruining it. I just hope some of those heads don't make their way to Vegas, I don't wanna be surrounded by those dopes for a full week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Last night's conference getting da Liveline treatment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement