Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

That_Guy wrote: »
    Last night's conference getting da Liveline treatment.

What is being said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

maximoose wrote: »
    What is being said?

Just Joe saying that it's not a real sport. The language was disgraceful. Blah blah.

Andrew McGahon from Severe MMA was on defending. Despite Joe's constant shouting down at him he did quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

To be honest i would be very surprised if they went for croker as they wont sell it out IMO. Croker has a capacity of 82'000 ...the biggest gate to date was St-pierre vs shields at 55'000 - in a country many many times the size of ireland and with a much larger and establised fan base.

Your right that it would be difficult to sellout, but remember over 60,000 people tried to get tickets for the press conference yesterday and that the 10,000 or so tickets for the fight night Dublin last July where gone in like 3/4 minutes. I think a card with Mcgregor headlining with the other Irish fighters on there could sell out croker, especially if its a Mcgregor title defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Your right that it would be difficult to sellout, but remember over 60,000 people tried to get tickets for the press conference yesterday and that the 10,000 or so tickets for the fight night Dublin last July where gone in like 3/4 minutes. I think a card with Mcgregor headlining with the other Irish fighters on there could sell out croker, especially if its a Mcgregor title defense

I think for that sort of scale you'd need a card that featured a second Irish fighter showing progress at least someway in the form of McGregor and a second title fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

hey aldo , when conor beats you are you going to cry like a little bitch..

:rolleyes:

FFS

I want to fight that guy....for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think for that sort of scale you'd need a card that featured a second Irish fighter showing progress at least someway in the form of McGregor and a second title fight.

Put cm punk on that card and it will sell out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

ricero wrote: »

Suplexes and Figure Four Leglocks

ricero wrote: »

Hahaha, fantastic idea! Maybe if Rousey's wrestling career kicks off we can add her and pull in both more MMA and WWE fans - double whammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

A large percentage of those 60'000 that applied for tickets to a Free event are not gonna put their hands in their pockets to pay €50 + for tickets....croker wont sell out if mcgregor is champ or not.

Thats ignoring the other 20K people that will have to buy tickets aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think the aviva would be a much better venue. I can't imagine how croker would work, if you're in the top tier of the hogan, trying to see down into the Octagon which would obviously have to have some sort of cover on it. It would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Regardless, this "but but but, it happens elsewhere therefore it's OK" argument is embarrassing. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard. That shambolic event yesterday was nothing short of pathetic. For a sport that's trying to grow (which we hear statistics about repeatedly but let's not pretend it's anything close to the mainstream in this country), it projects a very bad image.

There’s holding yourself to a higher standard and being deluded enough to expect that new fans, that have been attracted to the sport by a cocky, trash talking, foul mouthed star, are going to hold themselves to your standard. Yes, they were idiotic and embarrassing but the shock/upset/outrage on display on the forum has been completely over the top. I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me why Ireland, and within Ireland the sport of MMA, is such a special case that we won’t have drunken idiots at events.

The most laughable are the posters who have turned against McGregor over it (a number hoping he gets KO’d). It’s like having a bad experience at a concert due to drunken fans and then hoping that their next album does terrible. In my opinion that’s bordering on being even more pathetic than the drunken fans yesterday.

God help us all if the UFC ever do a stadium event here. The forum will likely crash with the number of ‘old school’ fans outraged by the actions of ‘bandwagoners’ at the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Brandon Thatch vs. Jordan Mein added to the card, great fight.

Could be an April fools though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

xtal191 wrote: »

Love love love that fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Foxtrol wrote: »
    There’s holding yourself to a higher standard and being deluded enough to expect that new fans, that have been attracted to the sport by a cocky, trash talking, foul mouthed star, are going to hold themselves to your standard. Yes, they were idiotic and embarrassing but the shock/upset/outrage on display on the forum has been completely over the top. I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me why Ireland, and within Ireland the sport of MMA, is such a special case that we won’t have drunken idiots at events.

The most laughable are the posters who have turned against McGregor over it (a number hoping he gets KO’d). It’s like having a bad experience at a concert due to drunken fans and then hoping that their next album does terrible. In my opinion that’s bordering on being even more pathetic than the drunken fans yesterday.

God help us all if the UFC ever do a stadium event here. The forum will likely crash with the number of ‘old school’ fans outraged by the actions of ‘bandwagoners’ at the event.

So what's your point? You've said yourself the crowd were idiotic and embarrassing. You're objecting to people saying so????

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

So what are you saying? Brazilian fans get absolutely slated for their behaviour.

Are you saying that Irish fans should or should not get treated the same when they engage in similar behviour?

• Advertisement

I think the suggestion is that "it's just a few bad eggs" and, rather than call it out for what it is, we should turn a blind eye and ignore it. Which is equally pathetic in my book.

Yurt! wrote: »
    So what's your point? You've said yourself the crowd were idiotic and embarrassing. You're objecting to people saying so????

It would be helpful if you read the post that I was responding to.

I was explaining how it’s incredibly naïve to expect Irish MMA fans to be of ‘a higher standard’ of their own than those of other nations or, for that matter, Irish fans of other sports.

Yes, I think they were idiotic and embarrassing but posters are going way over the top with their complaints about them. As I said yesterday, by the way some posters are acting you’d swear the fans stormed the stage, pissed on him, and threw him in the liffey.

So what are you saying? Brazilian fans get absolutely slated for their behaviour.

Are you saying that Irish fans should or should not get treated the same when they engage in similar behviour?

I didn’t see Brazilian fans slated here to the extent that we’ve seen the conference yesterday. I also haven’t seen Aldo slated here for things he’s done to rile up McGregor, his own fans, and the Irish fans.

Seems to me we have a different expectations for our own than we do for outsiders, which I think is naïve and only leads to the outrage we’ve seen over the last few days.

xtal191 wrote: »

Could be an April fools though

Holy jaysus that's a great fight. Excellent addition

It would be helpful if you read the post that I was responding to.

I was explaining how it’s incredibly naïve to expect Irish MMA fans to be of ‘a higher standard’ of their own than those of other nations or, for that matter, Irish fans of other sports.

Yes, I think they were idiotic and embarrassing but posters are going way over the top with their complaints about them. As I said yesterday, by the way some posters are acting you’d swear the fans stormed the stage, pissed on him, and threw him in the liffey.

We have a decent fan culture. Our fans, with the exception of some LOI muppets from certain clubs are known as good natured, sporting and respectful internationally - and that's across all sports. If fans step outside those expectations and behave like they did yesterday don't be surprised when they get slated. I put it to you you're being naive. I don't give a rats ass about Brazilian, Angolan or Cambodian sporting culture.

Any fat alcho draped in a tricolor calling a World Champion a pussy and making out like it's ok deserves a kick in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

We have a decent fan culture. Our fans, with the exception of some LOI muppets from certain clubs are known as good natured, sporting and respectful internationally - and that's across all sports. If fans step outside those expectations and behave like they did yesterday don't be surprised when they get slated. I put it to you you're being naive. I don't give a rats ass about Brazilian, Angolan or Cambodian sporting culture.

Any fat alcho draped in a tricolor calling a World Champion a pussy and making out like it's ok deserves a kick in the hole.

Well said. I think anyone condoning their actions needs a good kick up the arse too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I didn’t see Brazilian fans slated here to the extent that we’ve seen the conference yesterday.

You keep saying this. But there's a massive difference. We are not from Brazil. We are not Brazilian MMA fans.

We, on this forum, are Irish MMA fans and we were being represented yesterday by a bunch of idiots.

I’ve heard as worse language used towards opposing players by Irish fans at big GAA, Soccer, and Rugby games (let’s not even get into Irish fans happily going to premier league games and their chants).

I’m not sure how I am naïve to have foreseen that when these same drunken fans are egged on by the guy they’re supporting and handed a microphone that they would make a fool of themselves.

You might have a point in one way though, I may have been naïve to have not expected that, in the Joe Duffy outrage society that is Ireland, posters would make a massive mountain out of this drunken idiot molehill.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You keep saying this. But there's a massive difference. We are not from Brazil. We are not Brazilian MMA fans.

We, on this forum, are Irish MMA fans and we were being represented yesterday by a bunch of idiots.

Again, did you read the post that I was responding to?

The poster said Brazilian fans were slated for their behavior and I said I haven’t seen it here.

To be honest, being ‘represented’ by those idiots yesterday doesn’t bother me as I don’t value the opinion of anyone who would judge a whole nation of fans for a few comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

If they had a water charge protest that night I imagine it would have thinned out the crowd considerably

Well said. I think anyone condoning their actions needs a good kick up the arse too

I apologize that after those few drunken comments I don’t now want Conor to lose to Aldo nor think that this has destroyed the name of Irish MMA fans in the eyes of the world.

I’ve heard as worse language used towards opposing players by Irish fans at big GAA, Soccer, and Rugby games (let’s not even get into Irish fans happily going to premier league games and their chants).

I’m not sure how I am naïve to have foreseen that when these same drunken fans are egged on by the guy they’re supporting and handed a microphone that they would make a fool of themselves.

You might have a point in one way though, I may have been naïve to have not expected that, in the Joe Duffy outrage society that is Ireland, posters would make a massive mountain out of this drunken idiot molehill.

I'm a keen sportsfan and have attended hundreds of Irish sports events across GAA, rugby,football and more - both at home and abroad. I have never, ever come across concentrated and sustained muppetry like what was witnessed yesterday.

What this incident brings to mind is when I was over at the Euro's in 2012. Some dope from a county which shall remain nameless got in the face of several Croat fans in Poznan goading them. A group of Irish lads grabbed him by his collar and let him know exactly what they thought of him. He slunk off with his beer in his hand knowing what not to do anyway.

The attitude your displaying is exactly the one that allows homophobic, racist and aggressive chanting persist on football terraces. No accountability because they're superheros and untouchable in a group. Maybe on English or Spanish terraces, but thankfully generally not on Irish one's. And when it happens, it should get called out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Gunner vs Hathaway just added! Card shaping up

I didn’t see Brazilian fans slated here to the extent that we’ve seen the conference yesterday. I also haven’t seen Aldo slated here for things he’s done to rile up McGregor, his own fans, and the Irish fans.

Seems to me we have a different expectations for our own than we do for outsiders, which I think is naïve and only leads to the outrage we’ve seen over the last few days.

1. Brazilian fans are trashed across MMA forums regularly. Go to sherdog, r/mma, UG, wherever. You seem upset that an Irish MMA site focuses on Irish MMA fans and does not criticise all fans equally? That's a little precious, no? It's hardly a big surprise that the focus has shifted to Irish fans in this context.

If we started a thread on Brazilian fans, it would quickly die out as pretty much everyone would condemn their behaviour and we wouldn't have as many people defending them as we do with the Irish fans.

2. Aldo riling up McGregor? You cannot be serious. McG started all of the trash talk.

Anyway, this discussion is totally circular at this stage.

• Advertisement

I'm a keen sportsfan and have attended hundreds of Irish sports events across GAA, rugby,football and more - both at home and abroad. I have never, ever come across concentrated and sustained muppetry like what was witnessed yesterday.

You’ve never heard drunken fans curse from the terraces? I’ve heard that happen regularly at Soccer, GAA, and Rugby games. Only reason this is different is because these drunken fans were given a microphone, which in my eyes doesn’t make it any worse than a winger getting dogs abuse from sideline the whole game from different fans.
    What this incident brings to mind is when I was over at the Euro's in 2012. Some dope from a county which shall remain nameless got in the face of several Croat fans in Poznan goading them. A group of Irish lads grabbed him by his collar and let him know exactly what they thought of him. He slunk off with his beer in his hand knowing what not to do anyway.

Do you now judge everyone from that county as being ‘idiots’, ‘apes’, ‘skangers’ because the actions of this guy? If not then why do you fear this happening to Irish MMA fans?
    The attitude your displaying is exactly the one that allows homophobic, racist and aggressive chanting persist on football terraces. Maybe on English or Spanish terraces, but thankfully generally not on Irish one's. And when it happens, it should get called out.

Better than the attitude to do nothing at the time and then run home, go on the internet to show your outrage against those who said mean things to a professional fighter that spent the last 2 weeks talking about how he was going to show the Dublin crowd?

BTW how ridiculous is equating calling a pro-fighter names (who himself was involved in trash talk and didn’t admonish his own fans for worse behavior) to homophobic and racist chants.

1. Brazilian fans are trashed across MMA forums regularly. Go to sherdog, r/mma, UG, wherever. You seem upset that an Irish MMA site focuses on Irish MMA fans and does not criticise all fans equally? That's a little precious, no? It's hardly a big surprise that the focus has shifted to Irish fans in this context.

If we started a thread on Brazilian fans, it would quickly die out as pretty much everyone would condemn their behaviour and we wouldn't have as many people defending them as we do with the Irish fans.

Think we’re getting to the root of the issue now. Are you afraid of what sherdog posters, and the likes, think of us?

I’m not sure how it’s precious to expect posters here to be consistent with their views. I can only imagine what some posters would say if McGregor pushed Aldo like Aldo did to Mendes.
    2. Aldo riling up McGregor? You cannot be serious. McG started all of the trash talk.

Yes and Aldo could have taken the high ground and stayed quiet, he didn’t which in my view makes him fair game.
    Anyway, this discussion is totally circular at this stage.

Yes, some posters think this was an outrage while others that it wasn’t such a big deal. It’s down to each person’s perspective on things so I really don’t see either side changing their opinion in the short term.

You’ve never heard drunken fans curse from the terraces? I’ve heard that happen regularly at Soccer, GAA, and Rugby games. Only reason this is different is because these drunken fans were given a microphone, which in my eyes doesn’t make it any worse than a winger getting dogs abuse from sideline the whole game from different fans.

Like I said, never seen such sustained classlessness at any other Irish sporting event. As in not even close. You may here that sh*t on English terraces, but I'm glad it's not generally a feature in Ireland.

Do you now judge everyone from that county as being ‘idiots’, ‘apes’, ‘skangers’ because the actions of this guy? If not then why do you fear this happening to Irish MMA fans?

From that county? No. But they're part of a demographic of Irish sports fans that I wish would shut up or stay at home.
    Better than the attitude to do nothing at the time and then run home, go on the internet to show your outrage against those who said mean things to a professional fighter that spent the last 2 weeks talking about how he was going to show the Dublin crowd?
    ?
    BTW how ridiculous is equating calling a pro-fighter names (who himself was involved in trash talk and didn’t admonish his own fans for worse behavior) to homophobic and racist chants.

If fighters want to say whatever, then... whatever. Reflects poorly on them if it gets out of hand. At the end of the day they're going to fight and they live and die off the back of their performance. Unlike the losers with pints in their hand slagging off a champion to the level that they did, that has achieved things they never will if they had 20 lifetimes.

They wouldn't do it to Aldo's face in the street, but they're in a crowd of baboons and think it's funny with a mic in their hand. Frankly, your attitude enables crap like that and it wouldn't surprise me if you engage in it yourself. The point I'm making about football chants is that it's the same mechanism that enables homophobic and racist chants. They wouldn't dare walk down the street chanting that, but in a crowd of like minded apes they feel entitled to do so. That's what happened last night. It's cowardice and has no place in sport.

Think we’re getting to the root of the issue now. Are you afraid of what sherdog posters, and the likes, think of us?

lol, not in the slightest.

Gunni Nelson vs John Hathaway is an excellent fight aswell. Really delighted with how this card is shaping up. Would love if the hooligan got on the card also!

dulux99 wrote: »
    Gunni Nelson vs John Hathaway is an excellent fight aswell. Really delighted with how this card is shaping up. Would love if the hooligan got on the card also!

Good to see Gunnar back on the horse. Don't think he'll let this one slip through his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Scooper

Yesssssss!

Delighted Gunni will be fighting at UFC 189. Card is looking real good at the moment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dulux99 wrote: »

3 SBG fighters on the biggest card of the year, yeah, would be great if Paddy gets on it

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

It just keeps getting better and better...July cant come fast enough

• Advertisement

Hopefully Joe Duffy is on the card too. He actually comes across as the most likable Irish fighter imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Duffy hopefully get added aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

scudzilla wrote: »
    3 SBG fighters on the biggest card of the year, yeah, would be great if Paddy gets on it

Conor, Gunnar and?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    Not overly excited to see Gunni fighting Hathaway as I cant really see Hathaway having a chance on the feet or on the mat,good to see him back in again but he should be fighting slightly tougher guys.

I actually think this is a quite a close fight. Hathaway is an excellent defensive wrestler, and gunni looked quite one dimensional on the feet against Rick Story. Not to mention Hathaway is a pretty huge welterweight. Now don't get me wrong, I'd still fancy Gunnar, but I think it'll be close with the bookies, with gunnar as a slight favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Hopefully Joe Duffy is on the card too. He actually comes across as the most likable Irish fighter imo

But he said on Liveline today that he hates the sport ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

But he said on Liveline today that he hates the sport ???

By day, he is a talk radio host. But by night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How could anyone not feel pride hearing McGregor shouting "welcome to Eire, this is my home country" there? Superb! :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement