Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Davei141 wrote: »
    If it is in the Sunday World gossip column it must be true. Lets just try to **** up a guys marriage with zero proof because he is fighting Conor McGregor. I hate the gutter press.

Edit: better off leaving it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mike Swick vs Alex Garcia added to 189. Hopefully just a prelim. Surprised Swick isn't retired yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    Mike Swick vs Alex Garcia added to 189. Hopefully just a prelim. Surprised Swick isn't retired yet
    He's coming back from retirement afaik.

And it'll certainly be a prelim imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pretty underwhelming fight addition imo. Swick hasn't fought since what, 2012? I wonder how fast "Quick" Swick will be come July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hopefully next couple of announcements are of a higher quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Looking at some of the upcoming fights, I'd say we'll have a few good fights confirmed by the end of the month.

Lyoto Machida vs Luke Rockhold
    Ronaldo Souza vs Yoel Romero
    Cub Swanson vs Max Holloway
    Felice Herrig vs Paige VanZant

Jim Miller vs Beneil Dariush
    Ovince Saint Preux vs Patrick Cummins
    Corey Anderson vs Gian Villante
    Takeya Mizugaki vs Aljamain Sterling
    George Sullivan vs Tim Means
    Diego Brandão vs Jimy Hettes
    Eddie Gordon vs Chris Dempsey

Demetrious Johnson vs Kyoji Horiguchi
    Quinton Jackson vs Fábio Maldonado
    Michael Bisping vs C.B. Dollaway

John Makdessi vs Shane Campbell
    Yves Jabouin vs Thomas Almeida
    Patrick Côté vs Joe Riggs
    Alexis Davis vs Sarah Kaufman
    Chad Laprise vs Bryan Barberena
    Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs David Michaud
    Nordine Taleb vs Chris Clements
    Jessica Rakoczy vs Valérie Létourneau
    Aisling Daly vs Randa Markos

Particularly those fights in bold, I wouldn't mind seeing any of those fighters added, which they quite possibly could if they come out of their fights without too much damage.

Nogueira vs Struve apparently confirmed for UFC 190 sadly.

I really hope we get a solid HW fight on the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Petermc83

Im wondering with the court upholding Bellators case against Rampage this week, will it get resolved before the summer and maybe he will be added to the card?!!!

im just daydreaming here, would be brilliant to see him fight. He was immense back in the Pride days and early in his UFC career.. i know the star has fallen somewhat now but to say that we seen Rampage fight would be great!!

The fight versus Fabio would have been a bar-room brawl ! was really looking forward to it. But you could always sense Bellator would go to the courts. I was v surprised UFC even hired him back and promoted him so much when contractually... he still is with Bellator

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

What's the update on the total number of Boardies going? Also do you think there will be a "Boardies" meet-up arranged for over there?

Three months away I know!

What's the update on the total number of Boardies going?

DrPhilG - Section 1, row U, seat 14
    DK224 - Section 5, row N, seat 14
    StickyMcGinty - Section 204, row A, seat 19
    Awesomeness - Section 109 row DD seat 4/5
    MikeyGorse - Section 6, row Q, seat 5-8
    Petermc83 - Section 117, row HH, seats 11/12
    thelibertyboy - Floor D, row G, seat 1
    glass half full - Section 215, row G, seats 14/15
    JoeyJJ - Section 3, row W, seats 11/12
    BOHtox - Section 206 row L, seats 13/14
    That_Guy - Section 202, row L, seats 1-4
    m.j.w - Section 221, row J, seat ?
    johnpro - Section 207 row F, seats 17-22
    but1er - Section 204 row N, seat ?

343668.png

Don't think anyone else posted locations after that last set. 14 Boardsies going.

Where is everyone staying? I wasn't arsed paying the extra for the MGM, going to the Luxor instead.

• Advertisement

I'm staying in MGM poker tables with occasional sleep upstairs.

Any Vegas regulars? Where's the best poker tournaments these days?

When I was out for UFC 100 me and my friend played in a few tournaments in the Sahara but that's gone now I believe. They had a $45 entry tournament with about a $600 top prixe and the top 10 getting some winnings.

Our first night there I finished 11th out of about 80. Gutted, missed the final table by one place, bugger caught a queen on the river to beat my 2 pair.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any Vegas regulars? Where's the best poker tournaments these days?.
    The world series main event is that week. Prob lots of small tourneys in the Rio. Wouldn't expect any great tourneys tbh. Will probably be a lot of good cash action though.

we could have a boardie poker tournament if enough of us like the game?!!!!

Yeah cash will be best action I reckon, will play MGM and Ceasers and wherever had cheap blackjack.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

I'm more of a roulette man (don't like adding and strategy and all that) so Im no good for advice on the poker situation. Sitting, guessing a few numbers with free booze: Can't beat it!

Staying at MGM btw.

This is totally off topic, maybe someone should kill this thread and set up two thread, one specific to the fights and another General discussion thread??

I realise I helped drag it off topic.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    This is totally off topic, maybe someone should kill this thread and set up two thread, one specific to the fights and another General discussion thread??

I realise I helped drag it off topic.

I'd assume there will be an "official" 189 thread once the full card is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

Staying in the mgm first time in vegas and its a solo trip if you dont see any posts from me after that weekend assume im dead or the complete opposite situation iv won a million dollars and iv grown too good for boards :)

343668.png

Don't think anyone else posted locations after that last set. 14 Boardsies going.

Where is everyone staying? I wasn't arsed paying the extra for the MGM, going to the Luxor instead.
    I'm in section 102, row CC

• Advertisement

I'm in section 102, row CC

Just for you...

dulux99 - Section 102, tow CC, seat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gippon

Been following this thread for weeks but just signed up now. I’m in Section 216 Row E Seats 12/13…seems to be on the opposite side to everyone else.

Also does anyone know what the story is with the weigh ins? How early would you need to get there on the Friday to get in??

Been to 2 Vegas events but didn't make the weigh ins for either. Can't remember why I missed 116, but at 100 I arrived late and had no chance.

I'm not sure how early we will need to arrive but I'll be checking with the FC regulars to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Been to 2 Vegas events but didn't make the weigh ins for either. Can't remember why I missed 116, but at 100 I arrived late and had no chance.

I'm not sure how early we will need to arrive but I'll be checking with the FC regulars to find out.

Depends where they hold it. For McGregor’s last Vegas fight it was in a very large conference room and I don’t think they ever stopped letting people in. It was a flat floor with a lot of obstructed views so I presume a lot down the back and on the sides struggled to see. They had it there the last time due to a concert being on in the arena itself but the calendar seems to be free the day before it for 189.

Never been to a weigh in in the arena but cant see there being an issue for FC members getting in with their advance entry, as it’s only members themselves plus one that get in early. It’s a long wait around for the event though but it’ll be worth it.

For this event if you’re thinking about trying to skip the Q&A you’ll be running a risk.

Having said that given that it will be international fight week and a very big card, I wouldn’t put it past the UFC to try to have the weigh in somewhere else and make another big PR event of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

GSP on Conor ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Matt Brown v Nate Diaz apparently added to the card. Wow.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Matt Brown v Nate Diaz apparently added to the card. Wow.

Oh my lord. Thats more like it. Absolutely delighted with that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Section 220, Row N, Seat 10

Thats me.

Funny fight that Nate Diaz moving up to Welterweight. Not sure what it offers Matt Brown but it will be a great fight... RIP Nate Diaz :)

Cant wait to see what else is added to the card. Am hoping to see a Heaveyweight fight in there but dont think it will happen.
    Just for you...

dulux99 - Section 102, tow CC, seat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Mad for the welterweight fight for this card!

• Advertisement

They also said there is rumours of woodley vs hendricks !!!

17 now...

dulux99 - Section 102, row CC, seat ?
    Gippon – Section 216, row E, seats 12/13
    MarkJD – Section 220, row N, seat 10

344559.png

Brown vs Diaz is a great addition. Guaranteed brawl.

Hendricks vs Woodley makes sense to give another alternative in the title fight if needed.

Still expecting another top FW contest to provide options in the event of an Aldo or McGregor injury.

Losing Aldo would be a disaster though. Losing McGregor might be a disaster for all the Irish travelling, but if he was injured they would just give Dennis Bermudez the shot, or one of whatever other fight they have on, I suspect that Swanson/Holloway might be on there against Chad Mendes.

But lose Aldo and you have no title fight. It would be ripping the arse out of it a bit to create an interim belt, since Aldo only fought last October. Wouldn't put it past the UFC though, the opportunity to get that belt onto the waist of the golden boy, and also set up a huge title unification later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

DrPhilG updating my jealousy motivated "to kill" list. Thanks for that.

maybe libertyboy will let us take turns to sit on his lap so we can get a birdseye view of the action ringside!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

MMA reporter Dave Meltzer said on his podcast this morning that the UFC are trying to turn the annual July show into their Wrestlemania and are working to get Dillashaw v Barao 2 onto the card as well to have 3 World Title fights!

• Advertisement

I wonder what % of PPV Conor has negotiated, every time he hears of a fighter with fans like Nate he must hear the dollars roll in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

DK224 wrote: »
    MMA reporter Dave Meltzer said on his podcast this morning that the UFC are trying to turn the annual July show into their Wrestlemania and are working to get Dillashaw v Barao 2 onto the card as well to have 3 World Title fights!
    That would be awesome but cant see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd believe it when I see it. I don't see why the UFC would throw 3 title fights on the line unless it's at UFC 200.

With the amount of injuries and a PPV getting cancelled at the back end of last year, it just doesn't make sense to me for them to add another title to the card.

Two is grand and the risk of a fight being pulled still means that there's a title on the line come what may and a card remains somewhat intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Is it a known thing that the champion and challenger enter from different entrances through the arena? In all my years watching UFC I have never noticed, I am an idiot

Is it a known thing that the champion and challenger enter from different entrances through the arena? In all my years watching UFC I have never noticed, I am an idiot
    you dont really notice on the tv though?
    A camera comes out with each of them so the view from the camera's perspective is the same.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

If they got Barao/Dillashaw and Hendricks Woodley the main card would be

Jose Aldo v Conor McGregor
    Robbie Lawler v Rory MacDonald
    TJ Dillashaw v Renan Barao
    Tyrone Woodley v Johnny Hendricks
    Nate Diaz v Matt Brown

with Bermudez/Stephens, Gunnar and possibly more Irish fighters on the prelims.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Potentially AMAZEBALLS card tbh.

Mir vs Duffee confirmed, yay!

For Fight Night San Diego... Booooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Mir vs Duffee confirmed, yay!

For Fight Night San Diego... Booooo.

trollface4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just ridiculous to have 3 title fights on 1 card, a lot of cards lately are piss poor weak, and to have 3 belts up for grabs on 1 card means that belt isn't gonna be fought for again for maybe 3-4 months, madness

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just ridiculous to have 3 title fights on 1 card, a lot of cards lately are piss poor weak, and to have 3 belts up for grabs on 1 card means that belt isn't gonna be fought for again for maybe 3-4 months, madness

Yeah I'd love to see it but for the reasons you said would find it hard to believe. UFC 190 in August with Rousey v Correia seems to be the ideal place & time for the fight. Gives Dillashaw time to recover and would have both Correia and Barao going for the titles in their native Brazil

I think there's probably one more big fight yet to be announced. Not so sure that Nelson v Hathaway will make it to the PPV main card. Maybe I'm in the minority but I almost hope that it's not Hendricks vs Woodley. Can't quite put my finger on it, but neither of those guys really interest me if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Doubt they're going to have Gunni on the undercard.. Co-Main then Main to undercard? just don't see it happening.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement