Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Doubt they're going to have Gunni on the undercard.. Co-Main then Main to undercard? just don't see it happening.
    Faber was last undercard spot recently. He's a lot higher profile and higher ranked than Gunni. He isn't ranked in the top 10 yet.

It will all depend on the rest of the fight card. So far there's 7 fights announced and Gunni is the 5th spot for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Doubt they're going to have Gunni on the undercard.. Co-Main then Main to undercard? just don't see it happening.

Co-main on a Dublin card where he was virtually a home town favourite. Let's not forget that his opponent was Zak Cummings, hardly a co-main worthy fighter.

Main event in Stockholm, where again his stock would have been higher as one of Europe's top ranked fighters.

I would definitely expect Gunni to be on the prelims. He's coming off a loss and fighting in the US for the first time where the PPV buying public barely know who he is. And he's fighting Hathaway, who is also coming off a loss and hasn't fought in over a year.

2 fighters not very well known in the US, both coming off a loss, taking a PPV spot on one of the year's big cards? No chance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    Faber was last undercard spot recently. He's a lot higher profile and higher ranked than Gunni. He isn't ranked in the top 10 yet.

It will all depend on the rest of the fight card. So far there's 7 fights announced and Gunni is the 5th spot for me.

Plus Gunni is coming off a loss. I imagine he'd be first on the Fox Sports prelims. Don't see him being anywhere near the main card.

I imagine, as it stands that Bermudez vs Stephens would be the featured prelim on Fox. If there isn't a bigger fight added, I imagine it'll open the main card.

Pure guess work and I'd say there's still about 5 fights to be announced.

Faber did have a top of the prelims slot recently, but that's often considered better than bottom of the PPV. Faber said so himself.

I'd expect some top level fights added to this card by the end of the month and Gunni probably early on the prelims.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

It's one thing if this was a european card where Gunni would mean something but he means less than nothing to a US PPV audience and is coming of a loss against the No.11 in the division. I have a hard time seeing it being anywhere but in the prelims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Didn't Faber ask to be on the Prelims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

"Interesting" fact, John Hathaway (Gunni's next opponent) is the same man who beat Tom Egan back at UFC 93 when SBG Ireland first stepped in to the UFC cage. Some revenge is on the cards methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Really hope Joe Duffy gets on this card. Would be great exposure for him. He wants on it anyway, he said so himself. Wonder would it be at FW or LW. He said they were going to do a trial cut and see if it's feasible.

As for Dillashaw/Barao being added... As cool as a '''Wrestlemania'' type event would be, it just wouldn't be a smart move by the UFC. Dillashaw and Barao aren't household names and it's not going to get many more people buying the card. However, if you stick those two on a card of their own then at least the hardcore fans will tune in. Those cards with no massive stars always seem to end up being the most atmospheric events, cos the crowd aren't just bandwagoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Zero chance of Duffy being on 189 card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

I don't know about that (unless you know something that I don't). My reason being that if Duffy was to be put on this card as, let's say the PPV opener, it would get the Irish contingent (fans) present to set the best possible atmosphere at the start of the PPV broadcast.

Also it would allow Duffy a 3 and a half month break before the UFC event in Dublin in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I just feel itd be too much of a distraction for mcgregor. Would lead to questions about duffy for Conor in the lead up and Dana et al won't allow that.

I may be wrong but I won't be.

Feel free to bookmark this post and bombard me with abuse if duffy gets the call either at FW or LW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

There's logic for you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I just feel itd be too much of a distraction for mcgregor. Would lead to questions about duffy for Conor in the lead up and Dana et al won't allow that.

Feel free to bookmark this post and bombard me with abuse if duffy gets the call either at FW or LW

Good point in fairness. Duffys stock will also rise in the UFC if McGregor does win the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I don't know about that (unless you know something that I don't). My reason being that if Duffy was to be put on this card as, let's say the PPV opener, it would get the Irish contingent (fans) present to set the best possible atmosphere at the start of the PPV broadcast.
    Duffy has a slim chance of getting on the card, the whole roster should be trying to get on for exposure.
    If he gets on, id say it's almost zero chances he opens the PPV. He simply usnt a main card fighter yet.

As it is known by now that Diaz v Brown is off, I still hope that Matt Brown remains on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

As it is known by now that Diaz v Brown is off, I still hope that Matt Brown remains on the card.

Just read that this morning. Very disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I can live with withdrawals as long as Also or McGregor stay on, its good a strong card is two weeks later any late withdrawals may be filled from that card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd love to see Cub Swanson v Holloway that night.

Really interested in seeing how Holloway progresses overall, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Knex. wrote: »

I really want to see Holloway win it. I like him a lot. He was a bit wreckless at times in his last fight but I think this will be a good scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Knex. wrote: »

Swanson v Holloway is on this Saturday............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

For anyone heading over to UFC189, There is a female MMA fighter fighting in Vegas on the 10th. Catherine Costigan. I think Invicta FC have officially announced it.

fightweek.jpg

UFC Fight Week schedule just announced with more to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The amature world championships take place that weekend too and I know of one Irish fighter (Kiefer Crosbie) taking part so far.

Well that confirms that TUF finale is in Florida then.

Bloody daft.

killwill wrote: »
    For anyone heading over to UFC189, There is a female MMA fighter fighting in Vegas on the 10th. Catherine Costigan. I think Invicta FC have officially announced it.

Don't think it's official yet, but they've more or less indicated she'll be on it.
    Be crazy not to.

Ufc Hall of fame induction should be good. I hope it's BJ Penn. By far my favourite fighter of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

dulux99 wrote: »
    Ufc Hall of fame induction should be good. I hope it's BJ Penn. By far my favourite fighter of all time

I have heard through concrete sources that it will be Paige VanZant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads anyone looking for two tickets for this.
    Have two in the $228 price bracket going. Can't get over for it. Should be able to get you pre release tickets for weigh ins two.

If anyone is interested send me a DM

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Davei141 wrote: »
    I have heard through concrete sources that it will be Paige VanZant.

After seeing her in action tonight I'll fully support that decision :)

Confirmation via @ufcfightweek that the weigh in will be held in the MGM @ 4pm on the Friday.

There was some speculation that it may not be held in the MGM due to the Expo taking place in the Sands Convention Centre.

How do we get tickets for that, great if they gave them to residents of hotel first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    How do we get tickets for that, great if they gave them to residents of hotel first :)

They go on prerelease to fight club members and then general release to the public.
    Think they're generally FOC on a first come first served basis.
    Details won't be released until fight week re availability.

brinty wrote: »
    They go on prerelease to fight club members and then general release to the public.
    Think they're generally FOC on a first come first served basis.
    Details won't be released until fight week re availability.

I don't know if it going to be like that for UFC 189. I asked the UFC Fightclub on Twitter a few weeks back regarding ticketing for the Weigh In and was told that "the weigh in will NOT be ticketed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Petermc83

Any idea on where the Hall Of Fame ceremony will be held? Will it be ticketed too?
    from memory.. any footage ive seen of previous ceremonies, it looks like standing room only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Dana on everything ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Dana barely stopped himself from saying McGregor will be defending in Ireland

• Advertisement

It's all gone a big quiet on the fight announcement front aswell unfortunately... Hopefully they're working on a decent fight to replace Diaz vs Brown.

It's all gone a big quiet on the fight announcement front aswell unfortunately... Hopefully they're working on a decent fight to replace Diaz vs Brown.

After me saying that, they've replaced it with Matt Brown vs Tim Means.

Disappointing to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Just saw on Twitter (MMA Junkie) that it's going to be Brown vs Tim Means. I'll take it but would have loved to seen Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Tim Means vs Matt Brown added to 189. That could be a very good fight.

Bit meh compared to Brown vs Diaz, but it's a damn sight better than Brown vs Maia which I was expecting...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bit meh compared to Brown vs Diaz, but it's a damn sight better than Brown vs Maia which I was expecting...

i'd take Maia over Means tbh.
    Just can't get any interest generated in Means

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »

Brown-Diaz might sound good but it wouldn't have been a bit competitive, Means might give Brown a fight although you'd still expect Brown to win.

Brown-Diaz might sound good but it wouldn't have been a bit competitive, Means might give Brown a fight although you'd still expect Brown to win.

I disagree. I think if diaz had his head right then he would have given brown a very good fight. He's the more skilled boxer and arguably has better BJJ. If the Diaz that fought Gomi, Marcus Davis or Cerrone showed up, I think he would have won. We'll never know now, I suppose.

Tim Means is a fairly decent fighter has a decent stoppage rate Brown coming off 2 losses will be under pressure to win. Should be a decent scrap.

I disagree. I think if diaz had his head right then he would have given brown a very good fight. He's the more skilled boxer and arguably has better BJJ..
    Better Bjj sure. But Diaz's pitter-patter boxing would get smashed by Browns Clinch.

Means is on a roll right now, I'd be surprised if he wins but he'll give Brown a fight. Expecting the Diaz that fought Cerrone is wishful thinking, he's been sluggish for a while and he looked too weak for welterweight last time around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement