Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Brilliant. So glad the TUF finale will be in Vegas. Florida was a dumb idea.

Fingers crossed the crappy season of fights so far results in very few of the fighters getting on the card!

And as said, another slot now available on 189 so hopefully 3 fights still to be announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

8 weeks out surely they will announce soon, love a heavyweight fight on it. With 2 title fights might only be 2 slots free.

Currently,

UFC 189
    José Aldo (c) vs. Conor McGregor
    Robbie Lawler (c) vs. Rory MacDonald
    Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens
    Gunnar Nelson vs. John Hathaway
    Brandon Thatch vs. John Howard
    Mike Swick vs. Alex Garcia
    Cody Garbrandt vs. Henry Briones
    Matt Brown vs. Tim Means
    Thomas Almeida vs. Brad Pickett

TUF Finale
    Jake Ellenberger vs Stephen Thompson
    Jorge Masvidal vs Cezar Ferreira
    Josh Samman vs. Caio Magalhães
    Michelle Waterson vs. Angela Magana

Looking great!

PS, wasn't Henderson vs Johnson supposed to be on the TUF card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

How expensive are tuf tickets??

but1er wrote: »

I'm thinking they should be cheap enough, maybe in line with Fight Nights. It's in the MGM too so a big arena for a TUF event. They're usually in the Palms or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Catherine Costigan will be fighting on the Invicta card on the Friday night too I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

but1er wrote: »

The last time I was in Vegas tickets were going for as little as $75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I wish the tuf finale was the Friday night rather than the Sunday. I'm gonna go to it, but it'll pale in comparison to the previous night obviously. Had it been on the Friday, it would feel like a great teaser for the next night. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Another trailer:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Petermc83

yeah. its n interesting read in the Indo...

more of a promo than an actual blog...

" I am pound for pound the best fighter on the planet. And I will prove it in two months’ time when I become champion of the world for the third time"

Firstly, if he beats Aldo, he cant claim to the P4P throne...he needs to prove it over a few years beating the best the division has to offer.
    Secondly... Does being the Cage Warriors champion at both L/W and F/W count as "World Championships" ??? i seriously dont think so.

dont get me wrong, im on the McGregor fanfare and will be the loudest cheering him on in Vegas...but i feel the article is just adding more to the self promotion of the brand McGregor.

Reading what John Kavanagh has to say in his blog on the 42.ie is far more insightful of whats actually going on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Petermc83 wrote: »
    Does being the Cage Warriors champion at both L/W and F/W count as "World Championships" ??? i seriously dont think so.

Of course they are. Just because they're not UFC branded belts doesn't make them any less important.

Are Bellator or WSOF belts deemed unworthy of being called "world championships"?
    dont get me wrong, im on the McGregor fanfare and will be the loudest cheering him on in Vegas...but i feel the article is just adding more to the self promotion of the brand McGregor.

Well he's hardly gonna turn around and say... "Actually, you know what. I'm pretty average as a fighter. I'm amazed that I've managed to get this far in so little time".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought his article turned out exactly how I thought it would.

All of these are types of articles are ghost written anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That_Guy wrote: »
    Of course they are. Just because they're not UFC branded belts doesn't make them any less important.

Yes it does.
    Are Bellator or WSOF belts deemed unworthy of being called "world championships"?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I thought it was very insightful, to be quite honest. A perfect riposte to many of the inane assertions and judgements made by, well, everyone. Especially this part.....

"Obsessed with every aspect of the fight game. Of Martial Arts philosophy mixed in with the cruel and ruthless game of pure, unrestricted fighting. It's a conflict of two worlds. But it is my life. I am humble to those who know me. I am arrogant to those who doubt me. And I am ruthless to those who fight me.
    There is no act. This is who I am.

Other people’s assessments don’t matter, what they think of me, whether they dislike me or are waiting for me to fail is insignificant. It cannot penetrate the armour of my self-belief."

Maybe it was ghost written, but these are definitely his words and there's a lot to take from them for everyone who gets on their keyboard to offer him career and life advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It was nothing we haven't already heard from his average interview or press conference tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Apart from acclimatising to the heat what advantage does training in Vegas this early offer him?
    Find it kinda telling of just how humble someone is when Aldo is happy enough to train in his usual gym which almost looks like it could be a prefab & then you have Conor embarrassingly carrying on like an episode of Entourage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Petermc83

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yes it does.

The UFC is where all the best fighters in the world want to be.
    Cage Warriors is more the little brother organisation that caters for the european mma circuit ( yes i know they have held events in Kuwait and other countries outside of the EU).. but to call their belt a WORLD championship is abit laughable.

Fair play to him for winning two belts at to different weights.. he is a supremely talented guy! heres hoping he can win at least one in the UFC!! if not more!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Apart from acclimatising to the heat what advantage does training in Vegas this early offer him?
    Find it kinda telling of just how humble someone is when Aldo is happy enough to train in his usual gym which almost looks like it could be a prefab & then you have Conor embarrassingly carrying on like an episode of Entourage

sure he'd get a bad cold or flu with this changeable weather we are having, no chance of that happening in the heat over there.

i would guess, living, eating and training in good weather with hardly any distractions is what he wants, who can blame him, has shag al to do with being humble and all that clap-trop

• Advertisement

Pulse8 wrote: »

It makes perfect sense for him to train there. Cathal Pendred is training in Mexico the last few weeks so its easier for John Kavnagh to go between Mexicco and Cali.

With Gunnar Nelson training out there too, and not having to interrupt his training camp by flying over for media duties, why not? Especially that alot of the SBG lads that went over have fights coming up and are competiting in various competitions while there (The US Jijitsu Open and the Amatuer MMA tournament)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I see Conor has waded into the referendum debate, he is 'Telling his fans to vote yes'

free will and all that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

my friend wrote: »
    I see Conor has waded into the referendum debate, he is 'Telling his fans to vote yes'

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Who cares, seriously does that upset you?

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Who cares, seriously does that upset you?

I don't, I'm an Aldo fan anyways

Big fan since his WEC days i'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

As if that's a bad thing :rolleyes:

He's hardly threatening people outside the polling booths, I'm fairly sure he's not infringing on anyone's free will.

Didn't take long for the exact people Conor was talking about in his blog to surface here. Must have hit a nerve. Funny thing is they're only serving to prove his point.

moneyman wrote: »
    As if that's a bad thing :rolleyes:

He's hardly threatening people outside the polling booths, I'm fairly sure he's not infringing on anyone's free will.

Didn't take long for the exact people Conor was talking about in his blog to surface here. Must have hit a nerve. Funny thing is they're only serving to prove his point.

Conor will learn that when you don't show respect you lose the licence to whine about haters

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Big fan since his WEC days i'm sure.

no, since Conor grabbed his belt in Dublin. Was impressed by how Aldo handled the situation. very composed, he will be motivated by what happened there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Conor will learn that when you don't show respect you lose the licence to whine about haters

What does this even mean?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What does this even mean?

tumblr_inline_naelcqq6491qg7pj1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

None of what you are posting makes any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

10 episode series of Embedded confirmed by Dana for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sure he'd get a bad cold or flu with this changeable weather we are having, no chance of that happening in the heat over there.
    Cold and flu are caused by viruses, not cold weather (or being wet either). That's just one of those old wives tales.

Encouraging a vote for pro-equality, what a charlatan :rolleyes:
    no, since Conor grabbed his belt in Dublin. Was impressed by how Aldo handled the situation. very composed, he will be motivated by what happened there.

Aldo last fought 7 months ago, and you've been a fan for the last 2 months.
    I, for one, am glad you are here to offer your MMA insight in these matter. But some people might give you some resistance, push back my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Paully D wrote: »
    10 episode series of Embedded confirmed by Dana for this.

Would have preferred PrimeTime but this should still be entertaining.

This place is a stupid as After Hours at the best of times.

This place is a stupid as After Hours at the best of times.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better

Mellor wrote: »
    It's gonna get worse before it gets better

As long as he's still fighting it'll never get better :D

He wins - "He skipped the Q. Beat bums along the way. Aldo was injured"

He loses - "Told you he was a bum. Had no business being in that fight"

I really hope they're working on another big addition to this card. Theres been no big announcement for a while, even though there's some very good scraps on the card, there's not a lot of big name recognition outside of the main and co-main

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dulux99 wrote: »
    I really hope they're working on another big addition to this card. Theres been no big announcement for a while, even though there's some very good scraps on the card, there's not a lot of big name recognition outside of the main and co-main

We'll its two title fights
    and a top 15 ranked WW in Gunni V Hathaway
    There'll be only likely one more main event card fight
    I'm expecting Paddy and Duffy to get the call up to this card if they haven't already.

What is the full card at this stage
    Aldo (c) V McGregor
    Lawler (C) V McDonald
    Nelsen V Hathaway

Wasn't nate diaz Matt brown on here too???
    If Matt brown is still on the card that's a fairly stacked deck

brinty wrote: »
    I'm expecting Paddy and Duffy to get the call up to this card if they haven't already.

Aldo (c) V McGregor
    Lawler (C) V McDonald
    Nelsen V Hathaway

Duffy is fighting a week after in Glasgow.

• Advertisement

Aldo (c) V McGregor
    Lawler (C) V McDonald
    Nelsen V Hathaway

I'm well aware of how the card looks. 187 had Jones v AJ, weidman v Belfort, cerrone vs khabib and arlovski vs browne, along with a flyweight #1 contender fight in dodson vs machovsky.

All I'm saying is, for the ufc's biggest ever gate in the MGM I'd be expecting a 187 calibre undercard

What this card lacks in names it makes up for in Styles match ups. Similar to UFC 178 imo.

Brown v Diaz was never booked. (diaz declined)
    Brown is fighting Tim means.

Duffy is fighting in Glasgow.
    If Paddy had gotten the call up for 187. I'd imagien he's be over there now with John and the rest of the team. Most likely we'll see him in Glascow imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

sheehy83 wrote: »

Good for him. He specifically mentioned his wish was to fight in the US someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

So thats 11 fights now so one more to go

xtal191 wrote: »
    So thats 11 fights now so one more to go

Not necessarily. Wouldn't be shocked if it's 11 only. Remember 2 title fights increases the potential run time and decreases the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

sheehy83 wrote: »

I'm feckin delighted. Seery is a beast and one of my favourite fighters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement