Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

The Seery fight announcement made my day... Great news!

On a side note; I just viewed the remaining seats for 187 this weekend. There are still quite a few left. And I also found a few €178 seat tix available.

Just shows what a feat it is to have almost all of 189 sold at this early stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just shows what a feat it is to have almost all of 189 sold at this early stage.

Is it almost sold out?

Edit, just checked the map and it is well cleared out. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Anyone have any idea how much McGregor has earned in his career thus far?

Would he be worth over 1 million euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

I'd say so at this stage..seen something not too long ago that his UFC earnings were like 600k Dollars..dont think anything about his reebok deal was made public but if hes not worth a million at this stage hes pretty damn close, and he;ll defo be worth over a mil after the fight in July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Interesting that he is fighting the guy who replaced him in sydney, and won.

Very winnable fight imo. Smolka was losing in Sydney until the head kick in the 3rd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Don't mention the war!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Gutted! Wanted Seery in Glasgow cause I'm planning on heading over. Great for him to fight in Vegas all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Any Facebook groups setup for 189?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bas rutten being inducted in to hof, assuming he'll be there in Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Goosebumps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Petermc83

BJ Penn announced as a Hall Of Fame inductee... cant wait for this event too on the Friday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Just realised Iv booked a weekend away in Kilkenny the weekend of the fight, where is the best place to watch it folkes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I have a feeling Bas will be added as a colour commentator.

Joe Rogan has hinted in the past he might retire. Even if he doesn't Bas would be a great addition to the team. Just like the Pride days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I have a feeling Bas will be added as a colour commentator.

Joe Rogan has hinted in the past he might retire. Even if he doesn't Bas would be a great addition to the team. Just like the Pride days!

He has? Never heard him say that, what i have heard him say many times is that it's his dream job so couldn't see him walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

scudzilla wrote: »
    He has? Never heard him say that, what i have heard him say many times is that it's his dream job so couldn't see him walk away

He was saying on the Frankie/Urijah fight companion that if it wasn't for Dana he would probably retire I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

scudzilla wrote: »

The only time I recall was during the interview on the Fighter and the Kid podcast after Schaub took the beating from Travis Browne. The whole podcast is mainly him saying to Schaub about considering retiring to avoid brain trauma as he is never going to beat the top contenders and at one point Schaub says its easy for Joe to sit there saying that with all his money and doing podcasts all the time.

Joes comment regarding his own future was..

"I always wonder how much longer I'm going to do this, anyway," said Rogan. "The one thing that I'm conflicted about, this is a hard thing to say, but [brain trauma] is the one thing I'm conflicted about when it comes to fighting. As I get older and the more I understand about the damage that people take..."

Its around the 1.33 mark

He mentioned it in one of his Pod casts when they were discussing Brain damage associated with blunt force trauma in combat sports. He said something along the lines of he did not know how long he could be involved with high level MMA when the scientific evidence of the damage caused to the brain is irrefutable.

Maybe he was just feeling weird about it at that moment, and I read it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Here is the interview where Dana surprised Bas with announcement. Slightly awkward and cringey especially when Dana goes:

"So you know UFC Fight Week is coming up in July?"

Bas: "No I did not know that"

Dana: :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Joe Rogan also said on a very recent podcast that he wouldn't mind if he didn't work for the UFC anymore because, although he enjoys it, it's not what he loves doing (which is comedy).

Said something along the lines of "If Dana White called me and said 'Sorry Joe, we're going in another direction. You're being replaced' i'd say 'Cool. I've had a good time. See ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

mooeire wrote: »
    Just realised Iv booked a weekend away in Kilkenny the weekend of the fight, where is the best place to watch it folkes??

On an illegal stream.....everywhere in Kilkenny is finished by 1.30/2am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

But how will we know what's happening without Joe screaming "HE'S TAGGED, HE HURT HIM OHHHHHHH" whenever a punch even so much as glances.

Any info on what Danas call to bas was ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I like Bas but he's absolutely not the man to take over from Joe. Brian Stann is the UFC's best commentator, and his partnership with Jon Anik is much better than Rogan and Goldberg. And I'm a huge Rogan fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

dulux99 wrote: »
    Jon Anik

The worst commentator by far. He's exausting to listen to. He attempts to fit paragraphs in to single breath sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Anik was good at the start and was a breath of fresh air but I don't enjoy his commentary anymore.
    Stann, Hardy, or Sonnen are better choices imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I think Hardy is the best commentator imo, or chael he was really good when he done Battlegrounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

He mentioned it in one of his Pod casts when they were discussing Brain damage associated with blunt force trauma in combat sports. He said something along the lines of he did not know how long he could be involved with high level MMA when the scientific evidence of the damage caused to the brain is irrefutable.

Maybe he was just feeling weird about it at that moment, and I read it wrong.

And in his next breath Joe says "Such a stupid rule not allowing 12 to 6 elbows" lol

• Advertisement

dickwod1 wrote: »
    And in his next breath Joe says "Such a stupid rule not allowing 12 to 6 elbows" lol

He's got a point. I they can allow punches, kicks, knees and every other type of elbows, not allowing 12 to 6 elbows doesn't make much sense. Especially when the reason is (allegedly) because they'd seen a demonstration whereby people were breaking bricks with their elbows.

I disagree, 12 to 6 generates tremendous torque with a sharp point, they do enough damage the way the rules are at the mo IMO

I disagree, 12 to 6 generates tremendous torque with a sharp point, they do enough damage the way the rules are at the mo IMO
    I don't think you mean "torque" there.

It most likely has a lot less force than a kick. And throwing the elbow horizontally with the point, or in an arc, or a spinning back elbow is a similar force with the point - so I don't 12-to-6 being significantly more damaging. That said I don't have a problem banning it either, it just means throwing a different strike from those positions. It's not a major strike in anybodies arsenal.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    they can allow punches, kicks, knees and every other type of elbows, not allowing 12 to 6 elbows doesn't make much sense
    Mellor wrote: »
    It most likely has a lot less force than a kick. And throwing the elbow horizontally with the point, or in an arc, or a spinning back elbow is a similar force with the point - so I don't 12-to-6 being significantly more damaging.

But you cant knee or kick a fighter who is on the ground in the head for the same reason, the neck can distribute/absorb the force while in the standing/upright position but cant if the head is on the ground,
    Throwing an elbow while on the ground in a 2-8 position would not generate the same amount of force as a 12-6 and also the non vertical elbow movement of 2-8 etc. would allow for some force distribution as the head will move with the blow slightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Got an email there saying that if you purchased 189 tickets, you can get a 20% discount on tickets for the TUF finale the following night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

MagicIRL wrote: »
    But how will we know what's happening without Joe screaming "HE'S TAGGED, HE HURT HIM OHHHHHHH" whenever a punch even so much as glances.

Or diagnosing lads with broken jaws etc when there is literally no evidence of it at all!

6-12 is legal and the exact same thing. It is a stupid rule
    Either ban all elbows with the point or allow it from all angles
    It's like banning an overhand right because it comes from over the top!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think you mean "torque" there.
    The torque of 12-6 generates tremendous force maybe? lol, I dont know the correct way to phrase it
    Torque_animation.gif
    If you can imagine the pivot as the shoulder and the ball as the elbow you'll see what I meant by torque
    The non 12-6 elbows dont have as much power is basically what I was trying to say :D
    cowzerp wrote: »
    6-12 is legal and the exact same thing
    Its actually the exact opposite :pac:

But you cant knee or kick a fighter who is on the ground in the head for the same reason, the neck can distribute/absorb the force while in the standing/upright position but cant if the head is on the ground,
    The 12-6 rules has nothing to do with being on the ground. They are illegal standing too.
    Throwing an elbow while on the ground in a 2-8 position would not generate the same amount of force as a 12-6
    Why not? I’ve never seen either measured but elbows thrown overhand at a bag standing feel just as hard.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HisneBEscpg/VFompn-LeAI/AAAAAAAAHj4/8rz1SkyLfmg/s1600/MuayThaiElbowKO-400-1-full-sg.gif
    and also the non vertical elbow movement of 2-8 etc. would allow for some force distribution as the head will move with the blow slightly
    Vertical is very much relative when you are on the ground. You are only thinking of a 2-8 elbow being thrown laterally across the body (like a hook). It’s also possible to throw an overhand elbow (2-8 or 3-9) that goes directly into the mat.
    Look at this elbow, and the way his head recoils. Now turn it 90degrees so the guy on the right has his back on the mat. The force goes straight into the mat, and is perfectly legal.
    http://38.media.tumblr.com/a9aae76843c6b88f3b5dbc03ce141ee5/tumblr_norsnhWzGV1u2ragso1_500.gif
    The torque of 12-6 generates tremendous force maybe? lol, I dont know the correct way to phrase it
    Torque_animation.gif
    If you can imagine the pivot as the shoulder and the ball as the elbow you'll see what I meant by torque
    I think you just mean force. In that gif the torque is the twisting force on the pivot, not the elbow/ball force. Torque is twisting an object (heelhook, twister, opening a screwcap bottle)
    The non 12-6 elbows dont have as much power is basically what I was trying to say :D
    I get what you are saying, less force/power but I’m not sure that they do. Check on Travis Brown famous elbow KO of Gonzaga, or McGregor’s similar KO of previous to that. They both threw elbows from head to toe, but hunched over and threw them in an arc. That adjustment kept them legal but I don’t see how it reduced the force any amount.
    http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1434795/O_27Keefe_medium.gif

AFAIK the 12-6 ban came about after a consultant doctor commented on a guy that took his opponents back and threw 12-6 elbows at the back of the head/spine. They were already illegal under the back of the head/spine strike rules anyway. And the way 12-6 rule is interpreted means certain strikes are out, but essentially equivalent elbows are fine. As I said, I don’t have an issue with it, just throw a different elbow, but I don’t think the rule its backed up by anything logic or science.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Got an email there saying that if you purchased 189 tickets, you can get a 20% discount on tickets for the TUF finale the following night.

Got that too. Pretty cheap tickets

That's a very good post there Mellor,

My thinking is that throwing a 12-6 elbow is totally natural movement, all your muscles and elbow are returning to there normal resting position in the easiest way possible while your adding force (similar to centrifugal force or something like a wound up spring being let go, hard to explain), to throw other elbows takes a more conscious decision, much more effort by more muscles to move the elbow into and out of the movement and without that natural force/torque/centrifugal thing Im on about

It's strange that nobody has put this to the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Didn't get that email is it just a code?/

• Advertisement

but1er wrote: »
    Didn't get that email is it just a code?/

Code with a link I think. Otherwise the code would just go viral. I think the link connects the sale with the fact that you are on the list for having bought 189 tickets.

Always assumed 12-6 elbow was banned because if fighter A has fighter B pinned against cage fighter B could use 12-6 on fighters A's back, you wouldn't be long moving position if you were getting them elbows onto your spine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I remember reading that they were banned because when the rules were being agreed upon, one of the officials - an older gent - on the committee had seen a dude elbowing a cement block in half with a downward elbow. That could be a joke someone told, but I think it might be true, also. Ridiculous rule.

I remember reading that they were banned because when the rules were being agreed upon, one of the officials - and older gent - on the committee had seen a dude elbowing a cement block in half with a downward elbow. That could be a joke someone told, but I think it might be true, also. Ridiculous rule.

Joe Rogan said this in one of his pod-casts. Again I am not sure if it is true, but pretty ridiculous as you can elbow to the temple at a 2/7 angle no problem.

As long as you are not hitting the back of the head or neck/spine (which is not allowed anyway) I don't see how it can be any more dangerous than the other elbows.

I would prefer not to be on the receiving end to find out however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Anyone buying tshirts over there or mma gear? Is the fight shop in the mall the best place? Or will the expo have good gear?

Well since the UFC have apparently banned all clothing vendors apart from Reebok, I think the Expo might be a bit of a bust.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Anyone buying tshirts over there or mma gear? Is the fight shop in the mall the best place? Or will the expo have good gear?

The LV Fight Shop is possibly the greatest fight clothing shop in the whole wide world. Whole world I Says!!

Prices are great in there too. I was there in March and they had all the Reebok McGregor clothing and other fighter's Reebok apparel.

They also have a large selection of signed\framed gloves, posters etc..

They have lots of Roots of Fight gear and some rare items buried around the place. I found a limited edition leather jacket from 1992 from the Bowe v Holyfield fight (NOTE: did not buy. I do not have that level of SWAG\COOL to pull it off).

Also stock many old school wrestling t-shirts.

Plus Uriah Faber is making an appearance in-store on 11th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

The LV Fight Shop is possibly the greatest fight clothing shop in the whole wide world. Whole world I Says!!

Prices are great in there too. I was there in March and they had all the Reebok McGregor clothing and other fighter's Reebok apparel.

They also have a large selection of signed\framed gloves, posters etc..

They have lots of Roots of Fight gear and some rare items buried around the place. I found a limited edition leather jacket from 1992 from the Bowe v Holyfield fight (NOTE: did not buy. I do not have that level of SWAG\COOL to pull it off).

Also stock many old school wrestling t-shirts.

Plus Uriah Faber is making an appearance in-store on 11th July.

Nice shout, some of that Roots of Fight apparel is quality! The Rock can be seen wearing it in pretty much any photo you see him training in

Picked up some sweet Roots of Fight stuff in the fight shop last year.

WARNING!!!

If you are, make sure to try it on first. I was looking for a particular tshirt and they only had most of them in medium, which is way too small for me. However, after trying it on it turned out it fit perfectly. I'm normally a L/XL. So don't just trust your regular size with that stuff.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Picked up some sweet Roots of Fight stuff in the fight shop last year.

WARNING!!!

If you are, make sure to try it on first. I was looking for a particular tshirt and they only had most of them in medium, which is way too small for me. However, after trying it on it turned out it fit perfectly. I'm normally a L/XL. So don't just trust your regular size with that stuff.
    Welcome to american sizes ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement