Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Not sure I will get much sleep now, seriously bummed out over this.

Dana will prob be all over this next few hours

http://twitter.com/danawhite/status/613456440175398912

[twitter]613456440175398912[/twitter]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

scudzilla wrote: »
    not really, that just means he may know as much as us

I've zero expectation it's going ahead at this stage. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is this payback for last year when I laughed at all of those Garth Brooks concerts being called off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

tsafmf.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

So Also hires a sparring partner to mimic McGregor...ends up with a broken rib

Conor will have a field day with that

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

I think it's a great fight for sure but when you've been preparing since January for an opponent like Aldo, it'll really mess with Conor's mind set I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Gunnar now fighting Brandon Thatch

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I wonder if they'll even have McGregor fighting on this card at all given the hype and money they've put into promoting it.

Edgar vs McGregor is a fight I'd be interested in but it's McGregor vs Aldo everyone wants to see.

I can see it being postponed. For how long I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They won't let aldo fight i don't think. As sickened as i am that the gold might be postponed, im equally as pumped to see conor take on frankie, much better fight imo, just a pity a belt isn't on the line. ...

Now, if the belt isn't on the line. ... does Conor still headline?? I bet he does :D

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    They won't let aldo fight i don't think. As sickened as i am that the gold might be postponed, im equally as pumped to see conor take on frankie, much better fight imo, just a pity a belt isn't on the line. ...

Now, if the belt isn't on the line. ... does Conor still headline?? I bet he does :D

No, title fights always take top billing

Not a chance he headlines if there's another belt on the line with MacDonald and Lawler.

Unless they're fighting for an interim belt which is doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not a chance he headlines if there's another belt on the line with MacDonald and Lawler.

Unless they're fighting for an interim belt which is doubtful.

Unless Aldo is on the sidelines for a year, there wont be an interim belt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

ps3man wrote: »
    Unless Aldo is on the sidelines for a year, there wont be an interim belt..

Was thinking the same. I know interim belts can be arbitrary, it would show serious favouritism to Conor to create an interim belt for a 4-6 week injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah i know rory robbie will take over but would be gas is conor remained headline, the hate would be glorious. dana must be having a melt down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Not a big fan of him fighting anyone, it puts a title fight 9 months down the line more than likely if he takes a fight with Edgar or whoever, runs the risk of injury and of him losing. After all the build up I only want to see him fight Aldo at this stage and go for that belt, he can fight Frankie in his first defence of the title if he wins. If he was to fight Frankie and lose it would put a massive dent in his prospects and the hype train around him right now, awful move for the UFC imo keeping him on the card if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mellor wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/danawhite/status/613456440175398912

[twitter]613456440175398912[/twitter]

dnB4qqk.jpg

I wonder if they'll even have McGregor fighting on this card at all given the hype and money they've put into promoting it.

Edgar vs McGregor is a fight I'd be interested in but it's McGregor vs Aldo everyone wants to see.

I can see it being postponed. For how long I dunno.
    Edgar V Mcgregor is a huge gamble, but if he wins he carries huge momentum into the title fight. It could work out better for the UFC that way.
    I'd like to see him fight FRankie, but equally as pumped, not a hope.
    There might be issues regarding 3/5 rounds and the main event slot

Joseph Duffy has put his name forward too....

https://twitter.com/Duffy_MMA/status/613426162908401664

Imagine.....

Joseph Duffy has put his name forward too....

https://twitter.com/Duffy_MMA/status/613426162908401664

Imagine.....

He's getting very far ahead of himself imo

Edgar V Mcgregor is a huge gamble, but if he wins he carries huge momentum into the title fight. It could work out better for the UFC that way.

I agree. It would certainly escalate the hype around Conor but if it backfires, it will be a disaster.

Personally, I'd leave McGregor off the card completely. It's a big risk leaving him on there and potentially having him lose.

It's certainly a crap situation alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If Aldo cant fight then strip him and hold a title bout vs Mendes or Edgar. After all the money spent on promo **** him. Yeah i'm angry but it is is typical Aldo to pull out of competitive fight and no doubt hope it is rescheduled in Brazil.

Davei141 wrote: »
    If Aldo cant fight then strip him and hold a title bout vs Mendes or Edgar. After all the money spent on promo **** him. Yeah i'm angry but it is is typical Aldo to pull out of competitive fight and no doubt hope it is rescheduled in Brazil.

I'm frustrated too but this is nonsense. You can't strip somebody if they're genuinely injured.

I, like you and many others on this forum who have flights, tickets etc hope this fight goes ahead but I don't think Aldo can be fully blamed for sustaining this injury.

The comments on social media from some of these Irish fans are embarrassing and cringeworthy.

I'm frustrated too but this is nonsense. You can't strip somebody if they're genuinely injured.

I, like you and many others on this forum who have flights, tickets etc hope this fight goes ahead but I don't think Aldo can be fully blamed for sustaining this injury.

The comments on social media from some of these Irish fans are embarrassing and cringeworthy.

I've had a few drinks and came home to this news so i am not exactly thinking straight so i understand what you say, maybe i will calm down tomo but it is not a McGregor or Irish fan type of thing, we had the same **** vs Mendes and i am sick of it.

Edit: Fair play on keeping your cool. BTW Thatch vs Nelson and Howard vs Pendred is miles better. I guess sicknote Hathaway is injured again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This stinks to me, UFC 190 in Brazil in just the perfect time frame he's saying for Aldo to recover. Wouldn't be surprised if the same is being thought by the UFC brass and the delay is flying over one of their doctors to check him out (most of the time fighters have to go to a UFC doctor to prove their injury). I'm sure they'll be very thorough and it'll be interesting to hear the change of Aldo's 'wanting to fight' tune if that doctor says he can fight.

UFC 191 isn't however until September so it might be a bit too long to be in a continuous camp.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This stinks to me, UFC 190 in Brazil in just the perfect time frame he's saying for Aldo to recover. Wouldn't be surprised if the same is being thought by the UFC brass and the delay is flying over one of their doctors to check him out (most of the time fighters have to go to a UFC doctor to prove their injury). I'm sure they'll be very thorough and it'll be interesting to hear the change of Aldo's 'wanting to fight' tune if that doctor says he can fight.

UFC 191 isn't however until September so it might be a bit too long to be in a continuous camp.

I can't see it moving to 190. No way John Kavanagh would agree to moving the fight in Brazil. It'll be moved to September 5th in the MGM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

No way Conor fights Frankie, he would be absolutely nuts to do so. Rib injury is a month or 2, just wait it out.

If Edgar is so eager to fight perhaps Mendes might be too? Would love to see that fight!!

Aldo's coach has just tweeted that if he is not cleared to fight at UFC 189 then he will be out until October

November in Dublin it is so :D

Aldo's coach has just tweeted that if he is not cleared to fight at UFC 189 then he will be out until October

Brazil you mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

So there you go then. Or else it's an elaborate wind up to mess with McGregor's head.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/6/24/8837137/heartbroken-jose-aldo-likely-out-until-october-if-not-cleared-to
    "He cried. He wants this fight bad, everybody invested a lot in this," Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras told Combate. "I was with him the whole afternoon. He’s heartbroken. He wants to fight anyway. Now we have to wait for the exam results. Aldo is in deep pain."

Sources close to the situation told MMA Fighting that Aldo fractured his rib while training with 5-0 lightweight Alcides Nunes, and Pederneiras won’t make the decision to take Aldo from the card before talking with his doctors on Thursday morning.

"If the fracture is really confirmed, Aldo will have to stop training, do nothing for three or four weeks until it’s fixed, and then he would be able to do any exercise without forcing his rib," the coach said. "And then he would need a normal time to do a training camp: three months. I believe this fight wouldn’t happen before October."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ffs, October. Killed the momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Awful long wait for conor but I suppose he waited two years after his injury.

Genuinely feel for everyone going to Vegas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

There will be a lot of travel insurance scams next week or so, getting a cert from Doctor. Not me whatever happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Personally I think Conor will still fight. Be it Edgar, Faber or whoever.

Partly not wanting to let down the thousands of fans, partly because he wants the pay day, partly because he has shiny brass balls and won't care about protecting his title shot and partly because the UFC will make it seriously worth his while.

The UFC have spent a fortune marketing this event and now it is in tatters. It has been exposed for the fairly shallow event that it was.

I expect McGregor vs someone to be announced today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

@TheNotoriousMMA: Just know that it is business as usual up here at the top. See you all on July 11th. http://t.co/WXGPRFWj0y

Davei141 wrote: »
    Brazil you mean...
    October PPV is in Texas

I'm being a little optimistic and thinking that the November Stadium event in Melbourne makes the most sense.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    I expect McGregor vs someone to be announced today.

If Aldo isn't pulling out until Thursday, then it won't be announce until then. They liked to announce both together and not cut off either the fighter or the replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

So this was not a dream! Bo**ix

would conor be sparring with anyone in the same League as barao etc?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

McGregor signals what i can only think is another fight on July 11th on his twitter a few mins ago.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    would conor be sparring with anyone in the same League as barao etc?

It was Nunes not Barao as originally reported.
    Conor's main sparring partner is Artem, but I imagine he has been training with plenty of others too (from both SBG and external)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Interesting angle from Sonnen on Facebook.....
    Aldo hurt his rib, that we know. Is he out? We can only speculate, but why not. Speculation is fun.
    Aldo is in on the PPV. He he gets a cut as long as he meets predetermined thresholds. The bad news for Aldo is that he has never met even the minimum threshold and thus has never gotten to participate in a back end bonus. This fight will generate a million buys which would convert to a bonus of roughly 3.5 million dollars. So....
    Hurt or not, will he make the walk?
    When your injury reports surface on the web, it may not be an issue of Aldo being tough and gutting it out, it may be one an issue of the Commision stepping in and saying "no go." Whoever within his team leaked the training room information to the media, may have just cost Aldo 3.5 million dollars.

https://www.facebook.com/ChaelSonnen/posts/851518491592222

It was Nunes not Barao as originally reported.
    Conor's main sparring partner is Artem, but I imagine he has been training with plenty of others too (from both SBG and external)

Oh yeah sorry just read that. Cheers for the reply, aldo has a high standard for sparring partners.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement