Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Nevada would have allowed Pacman some pain if he disclosed the Shoulder injury, I would presume he would also get an exemption if the injury isn't that serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Business as usual for July 11th says conor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Combate leaked it because they were scared he would take the fight and lose.

"don't be scared homie"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

@mmafightin reporting that Aldo v McGregor is off. Lawler v MacDonald is the new main event. McGregor still on card, opponent to be announced.

Also seeing reports that Aldo v McGregor willbe at UFC192 in Brazil

still annoyed. was going to be a trip of a lifetime but this has put a dent in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

OmegaRed wrote: »
    @mmafightin reporting that Aldo v McGregor is off. Lawler v MacDonald is the new main event. McGregor still on card, opponent to be announced.

Also seeing reports that Aldo v McGregor willbe at UFC192 in Brazil

still annoyed. was going to be a trip of a lifetime but this has put a dent in it....

That's a spoof account, the proper account is @MMAfighting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Swarlez wrote: »
    That's a spoof account, the proper account is @MMAfighting
    Also 192 is in Houston not Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Interesting angle from Sonnen on Facebook.....

https://www.facebook.com/ChaelSonnen/posts/851518491592222

Very interesting take on it and not something that a lot of people would have considered. Would shoot down many suggestions that Aldo is in any way 'faking it'. Unless he is willing to throw away that kind of money.

Would he really have gotten $3.50 from each PPV buy though? That seems like an awful lot to me. Would McGregor be getting the same? And will he still get a PPV cut if Aldo doesn't fight seeing as he will have met all the conditions placed on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mellor wrote: »
    Is that in Dublin?

Yeah, it's from the media scrum a couple of hours before the fan event/press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Also 192 is in Houston not Brazil

I panicked... emotions are high.... :D My bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    If Aldo isn't pulling out until Thursday, then it won't be announce until then. They liked to announce both together and not cut off either the fighter or the replacement.

Regardless of the timing, my point still stands that McGregor will definitely fight someone.

I do wonder if the ufc will give him a lightweight fight, that way they could still promote a FW title fight even if Conor loses.

• Advertisement

It's all good.

Aldo says he won't be fit til October.

The ufc are supposedly coming to Dublin in October.

Conor fights someone else in July, beats them, faces Aldo in Dublin for the belt.

Yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It's all good.

Conor fights someone else in July, beats them, faces Aldo in Dublin for the belt.

Yay

the-fan-01.jpg
    The magical conjunction

Well I was one (of many in fairness) who said a long time ago that Aldo would not make it to the fight.

So I'll go ahead with my next prediction.

Conor will fight either a top 15 LW in July (Barboza, Masvidal, Ferguson and Thompson all have fights scheduled in mid July and could be pulled) or he will fight Diego Sanchez just for the hell of it, (depending on Diego's injury status).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It's all good.

Yay

They're not gonna have title fight in the 3arena.

No chance they'll fight in Croker in October either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

There is going to be some amount of doctors notes to travel agents if this fight is pulled.

The only way a title fight will happen in October here is if somehow the arena can operate a fight card from around 11-5am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    The only way a title fight will happen in October here is if somehow the arena can operate a fight card from around 11-5am

Not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

October PPV is in Texas. A BT meh for a title fight.
    UFC have Etihad stadium provisionally booked for 15th December. Ufc 193.
    The hype from rib-gate, plus a win in two weeks could easily sell out the 60k stadium. A 12-3pm card translates to the usual PPV time.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, UFC aren't gonna give up the lucredive ppv market on Aldo v McGregor for a trip to Ireland. I say let Mcgregor fight hopefully Edgar and winner takes Aldo, is New York still on the cards to happen ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Personally I can't see McGregor fighting anybody in July. Why would the UFC put McGregor v Aldo in jeopardy by risking a McGregor loss v Faber etc. and then be left with Aldo v Faber for the title?

If he does fight in July it seems obvious that it should be at lightweight thereby preserving the title fight and if he loses then there will be a ready-made excuse. Surely this is the only sensible thing to do here? McGregor v Diego Sanchez perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i have a feeling they will put up an interim title fight with mcgregor fighting edgar winner fighting aldo, loser v mendes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

peteeeed wrote: »
    i have a feeling they will put up an interim title fight with mcgregor fighting edgar winner fighting aldo, loser v mendes

that would be an epic outcome

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Personally I can't see McGregor fighting anybody in July. Why would the UFC put McGregor v Aldo in jeopardy by risking a McGregor loss v Faber etc. and then be left with Aldo v Faber for the title?

If he does fight in July it seems obvious that it should be at lightweight thereby preserving the title fight and if he loses then there will be a ready-made excuse. Surely this is the only sensible thing to do here? McGregor v Diego Sanchez perhaps?

See post# 2064... ;)

The UFC will obviously not want to risk the title shot as it is such a money spinner. I was tongue in cheek about the title fight happening in Dublin in October btw.

I think the UFC would probably rather see McGregor sit out until Aldo is ready. But on the other hand they are probably going to be facing a ton of ticket returns if this fight doesn't happen. Plus the PPV buys that Dana was (optimistically) predicting 1M for would probably fall to well under 500k so keeping McGregor on this card in some shape or form will keep the ticket sales solid and boost the PPV sales a bit again.

Plus I think McGregor is the kind of guy who will want to fight. If he doesn't, he has wasted a training camp, disappointed thousands of Irish fans and (probably most importantly) lost a fortune of money in both purse and PPV cut.

I think the combination of financial pressure and McGregor pressure will persuade the UFC to let him fight, but not a hope in hell will they let him do it at FW. Give him a LW fight, someone good enough that he could lose without destroying his momentum, but good enough to not be a joke fight, and preferably someone who will stand and bang and make an exciting fight.

That's why Diego Sanchez makes sense on all levels, plus they have had beef in the past via twitter etc. But I think Sanchez is injured so I'm not sure it would work. Barboza would be my next choice, but he is already scheduled for July.

If he loses to a LW in July, there are plenty of excuses the UFC can make while still giving him a title shot. If he wins, he builds his hype even more.

peteeeed wrote: »

I would like it, but with Aldo only out until October it would really be taking the pi$$ making an interim belt.

• Advertisement

Give him Frankie, would be a great fight and will get ppv buys, that way Conor will have fought a top contender on his way to a shot to make him more credible.

I am biased that I am travelling so I want a meaningful fight.

I would like it, but with Aldo only out until October it would really be taking the pi$$ making an interim belt.

very true but then they can have one of their so called 'unification' fights

in nov/dec .....when is ufc200 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Anyone hear of any NY updates ? That could be an outside bet for aldo fight when he's fit again!! Or do we think they'll keep MSG for an American like Weidman or DJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I would hold out for an official announcement. The speculation will kill you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

srumball wrote: »
    I would hold out for an official announcement. The speculation will kill you

Fact!

• Advertisement

From what I hear New York is looking unlikely again. Should know for sure within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

If its rescheduled for Vegas I will try to reschedule my flight.Gotta just wait and see what happens next day or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Think I'll give the internet a rest for today. It's about 2:35am in Vegas right now. Doubt we'll be hearing too much for at least 6-7 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Of all titles in the UFC I'd be pissed fighting for a interm title means nothing considering person who has undisputed title is undefated for 10 years

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Give him Frankie, would be a great fight and will get ppv buys, that way Conor will have fought a top contender on his way to a shot to make him more credible.

I am biased that I am travelling so I want a meaningful fight.

+1 for a meeting with Edger

Would have said a fight with Swanson on his way to the title too but after Swanson's last fight I'm glad that didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

id love to see him fight Holloway again, Max has seriously improved since that night in Boston, his striking can be a joy to watch these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

They wont be fighting in Dublin as they'd lose alot of the US viewers due to time zone. Plus there not alot have events in croker late at night. They explained this on a McGregor documentary few months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Aldo is noticeable hampered by this injury, yet is still cleared to fight, do people want this to go ahead now, or wait till October?

I'm torn, tbh, but then again, I don't have tickets/flights etc for Vegas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I'm going Vegas and id rather see McGregor off the card if he fights a nobody, if he fights Edgar or Mendes then yes please!

Suppose we sit and wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Knex. wrote: »
    If Aldo is noticeable hampered by this injury, yet is still cleared to fight, do people want this to go ahead now, or wait till October?

For selfish reasons because I'm heading over, I'd want them to fight.

For sporting reasons, I'd rather both to be fully fit.

The internet would be horrible afterwards. McGregor wins, he gets "lucky because of Aldo's injury". Aldo wins and McGregor is labelled as awful who can't beat an already injured Aldo etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

can everyone in brazil get the fvck out of bed already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Gutted by this news.

Hopefully the injury isn't as bad as feared.

If it is then I think it makes no sense for Conor to fight on the card.
    If Frankie beats him he's just back in the middle of the pack and his title shot is gone. There's everything to lose and taking on a fighter of his calibre on this short notice when you've been in a training camp for a completely different type of fighter would be madness.

Not ideal but rescheduling for as soon as possible (191 September in Vegas) looks the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Knex. wrote: »

Let them fight
    Conor can batter him
    Bring the rematch to Dublin in October
    Then Aldo will see a crazy mofo of a crowd...
    He'll crap his pants and break his own ribs to get out of it..

We've had botched p155 and blood test question marks, now broken ribs... Aldo wants out of this fight
    Conor said it... Aldo wants no part of him and Aldo knows now he won't beat Conor so is getting out of it however he can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

brinty wrote: »
    Let them fight
    Conor can batter him
    Bring the rematch to Dublin in October
    Then Aldo will see a crazy mofo of a crowd...
    He'll crap his pants and break his own ribs to get out of it..

We've had botched p155 and blood test question marks, now broken ribs... Aldo wants out of this fight
    Conor said it... Aldo wants no part of him and Aldo knows now he won't beat Conor so is getting out of it however he can

A guy that has been unbeaten for almost ten years and fought the elite guys in his division and beaten each and every one of them is scared...added to that the amount of money he would make here and you think he wants out?..

get off the dutch gold and give your brain a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Petermc83

If Aldo still wants to fight... how would he be able to pass the pre-medical before the fight with a fractured rib?!

Cant see it happening guys.. i was devastated last night.. just about coming around to the fact that i wont get to see an Irishman fighting for the title in Vegas... it was too good to be true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

It's such a pain in the hole of a situation. Trip of a lifetime which has already been bought and paid for, hangs in the balance. Lawler vs Macdonald just doesn't cushion the blow for me I'm afraid.

Its all very strange .

Why are they waiting on the results of a scan ?

I broke a rib before . An Xray is the way to determine it and it shows up immediately.

Unless nothing showed up on an xray and they are waiting on the scan just to make sure 100% there is no fracture.

Or else they are delaying it purposely so Dana has time to get a plan together.

Im gone mad Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

TheNap wrote: »
    Its all very strange .

I broke a rib before . An Xray is the way to determine it and it shows up immediately.

Unless nothing showed up on an xray and they are waiting on the scan just to make sure 100% there is no fracture.

Or else they are delaying it purposely so Dana has time to get a plan together.

Im gone mad Ted

X-rays will just show bone so maybe no fracture if he got X-ray I dunno but they could also be waiting for MRI scan to check muscle etc in the area which may also not alow him to fight if badly injured I don't no just presuming

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

TheNap wrote: »
    Its all very strange .

X-rays are known to miss fractures, hes waiting on results from a CT scan. Any tissue injuries will show up on that too so they will know the full extent of the injury from that.

Edit: He already has the results of the CT scan, may be the other one they waiting on.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    X-rays are known to miss fractures, hes waiting on results from a CT scan. Any tissue injuries will show up on that too so they will know the full extent of the injury from that.

9/10 they are accurate though.

So im taking it as good news that nothing showed up.

Actually its the hope that will kill me.

I'll just assume he is out and im going to Vegas on an unrelated holiday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement