Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

JokerD wrote: »
    Every time I get a bit of positivity its shot down by something negative. Latest was negative so hoping for a positive before I sleep.

Don't shoot the messenger. Looks like its gone.

The MGM Grand Lobby.

The Garage there.

There's no McGregor/Aldo posters. Neither is it to be found on the LED Board in the betting hall. User on reddit doing the legwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Don't shoot the messenger. Looks like its gone.

The MGM Grand Lobby.

The Garage there.

There's no McGregor/Aldo posters. Neither is it to be found on the LED Board in the betting hall. User on reddit doing the legwork.

That's that then, such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Just looking at JK's post on Facebook looks like he knows as much as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Scooper

I'm expecting an official anouncement to be made by the UFC by this time tomorrow night. The results of Aldo's injury, confirmation of the fight getting cancelled and an announcement of a new opponent for McGregor at 189. That's the way I'm thinking at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Don't forget that there's a new episode of UFC Tonight on Fox Sports tonight. About 1am our time.

Wouldn't surprise me if they made an announcement then.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

my thoughts exactly and i think it could be mendez for the fight tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

****ing knackered from last nights ****ty sleep hope I wake up to better news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Pulse8 wrote: »
    This gets even more dramatic lol, thread on Reddit via MMA Junkie Radio claims employees have been instructed to remove 189 banners at the MGM

http://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3aznk2/mgm_grand_instructed_to_take_down_all_banners_for/

Hahaha love this comment from that thread. So so true:

Just about every replacement fight he's ever done. He somehow hypes the new fight. "Man, I'm excited to see this fight! X vs Y would have been great but, X vs Z... that's going to be just as good. Don't worry, Y will get his chance once he returns, but Z is stepping in on short notice and you know he wants to put on a show!"
    Dana 101

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Heart is telling me that they're giving Aldo a little more time to see if he's feeling better, head is saying that it's all over and they're just arranging the new posters and stuff for the replacement to be announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

If it falls through, likely at this stage, then McGregor is mental if he takes another opponent. Hope he just says f.u. aldo I'm waiting for you.
    The co main event is big enough to hold that card.
    Will really feel bad for anyone who booked to go from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

lafors wrote: »
    If it falls through, likely at this stage, then McGregor is mental if he takes another opponent.

I agree and I actually think the UFC are playing a dangerous game in giving him one too. If the worst happens and he was to lose to a new opponent, the hype (and more important in their eyes, money) is nowhere near the same level as it is currently.

That said however, McGregor knows how many Irish have poured their hard earned into a trip of a lifetime to Vegas, and I genuinely do think he's the type of guy who won't want to see them completely let down, and this will factor into his decision to accept any fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

not thats its any consolation but Cathal Pendred has been added to the card fighting John Howard.

good fight for pendred
    first time im saying I think he wins this

11412316_911478478890735_5065054842042357051_n.png?oh=d95fb9c37461d183bb348515dba834ba&oe=55E65E85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

he is itching to fight, probably his longest sit out outside the injury. Have a feeling he will fight anyone they put up against him. The GOAT does not need a title to tell him that he is the best.

the more I think about it the more I would love to see him versus Cowboy, think Conor would hurt him badly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Genuinely feel for all the folks who have booked to go to this. Must be agonising. I was very close to pulling the trigger and booking but too many things on around it to justify the expense.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on this? Do we think he's genuinely injured?

Two ways of looking at it. 1: He's pulled out of 4!? previous shows in the states. Coincidence? Sceptic in me says no. Fought in Brazil soonish after some of those withdrawals. Mendes fight springs to mind.

2: There was too much money to be made here for this to be anything other than a genuine accident.

When you look at the language he and his coach have been using, combined with the drug test debacle and now this I'm just not buying it. Why leak it from the camp the exact nature of the injury till they knew the full extent of the injury? Ugh I'm rambling. Just gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Aldo is pretty much the opposite of a company man, refuses to learn english, seems to hate everything he does to promote an event, he's a history of dropping out of fights that coincidentally end up suiting him and that's even going into the even more shadier stuff. If he was offered a house in Vegas I'd bet he wouldn't have taken it.

I'd bet my life he wouldnt have taken it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jesus, some absolute nonsense getting posted here in the last hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

45 mins till ufc tonight!! I can stay awake!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Mellor wrote: »
    Jesus, some absolute nonsense getting posted here in the last hours.

feck her right in the puss puss

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

but1er wrote: »
    45 mins till ufc tonight!! I can stay awake!!

Is it on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

McGregor is a rare breed in that he doesn't need a title shot to bring the hype and the PPV. I could imagine a fight between himself and Mendes could break some PPV records

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That_Guy wrote: »

Same guy said last night it was almost certainly cancelled.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Same guy said last night it was almost certainly cancelled.

I hope he's more on the ball with this latest tweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Sure if conor wins aldo will just cry broken rib

I hope he's more on the ball with this latest tweet.

Fingers and toes crossed. I'm almost taking the line that I'm convinced the fight isn't going ahead, and trying to look forward to other things about the trip. And if the fight goes ahead then it's a massive bonus. #PrayForAldo :)

Meanwhile in New York, a UFC 189 poster.... without McGregor vs Aldo on it....

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/613856368920035328

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

I'd take an Irish UFC champion even after beating a not 100% legend like Aldo. Hell i'd gladly beat a blind man in Fifa. History remembers the victor not the whinger.

I'd take an Irish UFC champion even after beating a not 100% legend like Aldo. Hell i'd gladly beat a blind man in Fifa. History remembers the victor not the whinger.

dont think anyone would disagree however i dont see aldo risking his record if he's not 100% realistically the fights not happening

• Advertisement

Ariel Helwani on Fox Sports 1 just said that as of right now, Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor has not changed however, if something were to change there would be "mutual interest" from both Nate Diaz and the UFC.

Nothing other than that thus far.

Ariel Helwani on Fox Sports 1 just said that as of right now, Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor has not changed however, if something were to change there would be "mutual interest" from both Nate Diaz and the UFC.

Nothing other than that thus far.

Nothing we didn't know 12 hours ago I suppose.

Ah well.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Nothing we didn't know 12 hours ago I suppose.

Ah well.

Pretty much.

Fairly short and sweet. No point in speculating and getting people in a frenzy than they already are over something we don't quite know about.

We'll probably know more tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Nate Diaz
    Really
    There'd be some trash talking in that one for sure...bitch bitch bitch mother bitch

Nate diaz makes good sense IMO. Conor doesn't have to suck down to 145, it's a favourable and entertaining match up, and in the unlikely scenario that he gets beat, the ufc can spin it so that his only loss came at 155, and is therefore the #1 contender still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Diaz will push right at McGregor, McGregor should be good enough to pick him off, perfect fight for these circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

It's on!!!! (For Now)

http://bit.ly/1IeXq0s

"In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib. Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training.

With this news, Aldo has expressed that he has every intention of facing Conor McGregor at UFC 189.

While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete.

UFC remains committed to delivering the featherweight and the welterweight championship fights at UFC 189 during UFC International Fight Week in Las Vegas."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

An interim champion if Aldo misses the fight due to a bruised rib... Ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This is a bit of a farce decision but to say I'm so relieved is an understatement!!

EDIT: Actually maybe not so much of a farce. Aldo doesn't want to drop out but is forced it's harsh on thousands of fans to travel from all around the world for a title fight and not to get one if he pulls out last minute. All it means is a unification big fight in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This is a bit of a farce decision but to say I'm so relieved is an understatement!!

How is it a farce? The fight is on and they have Mendes as a back up for an interim title, that's great news

scudzilla wrote: »
    How is it a farce? The fight is on and they have Mendes as a back up for an interim title, that's great news

I meant it's a bit of a farce to do an interim title for an injury that would be fine with an extra week or two recovery, it's normally for long term injuries.

As you can see by my edit at the same time as your post, the more thought I gave it the more sense it makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Conor on Facebook: "it turned out he just had a little period pain"

Delighted this is back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

The only thing that will stop Also getting in that ring is the doctors. Win or lose, its a payday of lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Can't ask for better than that, hope Aldo is fully recovered he is a legend.

Interesting angle that he really wants the fight and cash so he can happily retire. Wonder if there is truth to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

I'm delighted for people in this thread that are going what great news to wake up.

Do us proud over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Edgar must be slightly pissed at this Mendes news?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement