Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Scooper

YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Excellent news to wake up to this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I'd say Edgar wasnt willing to be in no mans land like Mendez is now, Mendez towing is bending over backwards in terms of flexibility and I'd say the ufc owe him something for that.

Ufc obviously will be paying Mendez to start camp now. Conor is getting treated well u have to say, usually the event would be pulled however Aldo pulls the event too often so can see why the situation has happened wwhy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I'd say Edgar wasnt willing to be in no mans land like Mendez is now, Mendez towing is bending over backwards in terms of flexibility and I'd say the ufc owe him something for that.

Ufc obviously will be paying Mendez to start camp now. Conor is getting treated well u have to say, usually the event would be pulled however Aldo pulls the event too often so can see why the situation has happened wwhy
    yeah but the one drawback for mcgregor is he has to prepare for 2 different guys.

Aldo and mended both know who they will be fighting if they fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

yeah but the one drawback for mcgregor is he has to prepare for 2 different guys.

Aldo and mended both know who they will be fighting if they fight

Conor doesn't prepare for specific guys so it won't bother him, his training is the same regardless of who the opponent is.

This is fantastic news, absolutely delighted for everyone here who has bought tickets. Even if it turns out that Aldo can't fight, Conor vs Mendes will be unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Mendes would be a tougher fight than Aldo IMO

I know it sounds crazy when you say it out loud but I think Mendes has been very impressive over the last year or more even including the Aldo fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Fantastic news!! I wonder will the injury push McGregor into bookies favourite?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Fantastic news!! I wonder will the injury push McGregor into bookies favourite?!

He already was, according to Rogan in the latest preview video

theteal wrote: »

Rogan was wrong

I'd say that most places will be offering the exact same odds on both fighters now, but a lot of money will likely be placed on McGregor now and that should push him into favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Does anyone else think the interim belt situation is caused by Aldo's fifth injury and the UFC are using the belt as a warning to Aldo to cop on? I've only been following UFC for a year so maybe that's not the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Rogan was wrong

Nothing new there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Interesting angle that he really wants the fight and cash so he can happily retire. Wonder if there is truth to it.
    His title fights have never done big PPV numbers. The McGregor factor is giving Aldo his biggest payday ever.
    moneyman wrote: »
    Conor doesn't prepare for specific guys so it won't bother him, his training is the same regardless of who the opponent is.
    That's simply not true
    Rogan was wrong
    How was Rogan wrong?

Conor is favourite across the board now. Aldo out to 2.1, and McGregor 1.9 typically
    http://www.oddschecker.com/ufc-mma/jose-aldo-v-conor-mcgregor/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Well that's a relief. Delighted for all those who forked out to go. Even if it falls through at least they are still getting an excellent match up.

This has added even more fuel and fire to the card. Can defo see it doing a million + now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I wonder is this an excuse as he fears Mcgregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mellor wrote: »
    His title fights have never done big PPV numbers. The McGregor factor is giving Aldo his biggest payday ever.
    Does anybody know what difference is?

That's simply not true
    He has been quoted many many times saying he doesn't train for different fighters, but i find that hard to believe. He'd be mad not to take into account whomever he's fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Mendes would be a tougher fight than Aldo IMO

I know it sounds crazy when you say it out loud but I think Mendes has been very impressive over the last year or more even including the Aldo fight

Yeah potentially he could, Mandes looks like he can take more punishment and cause problems for McGregor but I think the hype around the Aldo - McGregor bout is due to the fact they're both very offensive fighters, so potentially you have a very 'aesthetic' fight which will sell PPV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Does anybody know what difference is?

He has been quoted many many times saying he doesn't train for different fighters, but i find that hard to believe. He'd be mad not to take into account whomever he's fighting.

Well a massive part of McGregor's prefight build up is his trash talk, whether that's for the PPV hype or simply to get under the opponents skin, either way he's not bout to say 'Yeah I appreciate what the guy does so I'll train to deal with that'. Just doesn't have the same effect does it? No doubt himself and his team are very prepared to deal with someone else's style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Great news.

Feels lie xmas morning.

Even if it turns out to be the contingency plan of Mendes i will be happy. Also will retire soon so that will be the new rivalry anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thank fúck for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Don't see Aldo fighting at all. Mendes on standby not bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

So happy days..mendes lined up..(i dont care if they call it an interim title fight or not..they can call it what they want, still be a class fight)

But when do they make the call?? Aldo doesnt have a broken rib but will have to rest anyway I'd imagine. At what stage do they call it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Win win!

Mendes is a cracker

Aldo is cracker

As a ufc fan this is a dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I'd fight McGregor with a bruised rib for 3 million dollars.... Aldo will be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

py2006 wrote: »
    I wonder is this an excuse as he fears Mcgregor

No.

That's been said over and over again and it's ridiculous.

Aldo is not scared of McGregor.

It's not a fake injury.

He didn't intentionally injure himself.

It's not an elaborate publicity stunt by the UFC.

Its not deflection to avoid pissing hot.

Aldo is not an alien.

Thinking about it more, it's a sort of win-win situation for Aldo.

He agrees to fight on through the pain and beats Conor, he gets to boast about not being 100% and still winning the fight. He loses, he can talk about his injury having a bigger effect on him during the fight than he thought and will surely get an automatic re-match.

On the other hand, it's a totally different situation for McGregor. At this very moment, he's still unsure as to who he's actually fighting. All he knows for certain is that he'll be in the octagon on July 11th. He has to prepare for 2 different opponents, who both offer different problems. Even if he does go and fight Aldo and is victorious, he won't get the rightful recognition because Aldo's injury will be brought up everytime. If he fights Mendes, who some will say is a tougher opponent for Conor and loses, he won't be getting a title shot for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I'd imagine injury or not Aldo will get an automatic rematch if Mcgregor wins. He's been undefeated for 10 years if anyone deserves a chance to redeem himself its that man, plus the money the UFC will make from Aldo V McGregor 2 will be enough for them to warrant a second fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Petermc83

TheNap wrote: »
    Great news.

Feels lie xmas morning.

Im feelng the exact same!!!! YESSSSSSS.... thank u santa!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Scooper wrote: »
    Thinking about it more, it's a sort of win-win situation for Aldo.

He agrees to fight on through the pain and beats Conor, he gets to boast about not being 100% and still winning the fight. He loses, he can talk about his injury having a bigger effect on him during the fight than he thought and will surely get an automatic re-match.

On the other hand, it's a totally different situation for McGregor. At this very moment, he's still unsure as to who he's actually fighting. All he knows for certain is that he'll be in the octagon on July 11th. He has to prepare for 2 different opponents, who both offer different problems. Even if he does go and fight Aldo and is victorious, he won't get the rightful recognition because Aldo's injury will be brought up everytime. If he fights Mendes, who some will say is a tougher opponent for Conor and loses, he won't be getting a title shot for another while.

not sure i agree with a win win if he gets battered

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

What would you guys prefer to see if the Aldo fight happens?

Connor to completely dominate, kicking him around the ring and maybe knock him out early?
    Or
    A real close battle that could go either way,but Connor wins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

ComfortKid wrote: »

Connor to completely dominate, kicking him around the ring and maybe knock him out early?
    Or

Connor to dominate, if it goes the distance and Connor just wins on points people will say it was fixed or that he only won because of the rib injury. If he goes out there and destroys him from the off that will stop all the doubters or at least make them respect him a bit more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyone else think this was a fantastic publicity stunt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

conor would walk through mendes.. correct me if im wrong but i think there is an 8 inch reach advantage to conor.. that with his striking and takedown defence makes him a clear winner.. and aldo can take a beating but i hope it doesn't go to a decision.. id like to see his legacy come to an abrupt stop with a clean knockout..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Or

Aldo to win and put an end to the insufferable **** posted by mcgregor fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Not at all.

The camp were told the Fight was off. I posted that the other day.

They were brought in for talks to find another opponent as Conor wanted to fight. Hence why mendes is the back up.

Delighted now for everyone it's back on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think I read ages ago that El Guapo thought it was.

EDIT: Here's the post to confirm
    El Guapo! wrote: »

It's not an elaborate publicity stunt by the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »
    aldo evens :eek: 8/11 conor boyles

posted yesterday
    Rogan was wrong

hardly

That's simply not true

How was Rogan wrong?

Conor is favourite across the board now. Aldo out to 2.1, and McGregor 1.9 typically
    http://www.oddschecker.com/ufc-mma/jose-aldo-v-conor-mcgregor/winner

Aldo has been favourite all the way through apart from a very short period. McGregor certainly didn't open as favourite as suggested by Rogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Aldo to win and put an end to the insufferable **** posted by mcgregor fans.

miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »

you are right
    he was favourite with a lot of bookies even before the injury or in the latest
    preview which was recent
    Aldo has been favourite all the way through apart from a very short period. McGregor certainly didn't open as favourite as suggested by Rogan.

dont think rogan ever suggested that

dont think rogan ever suggested that

He did in the ufc189 promo I'm almost sure. He said something along the lines of "despite Aldo undefeated ten years blah blah blah Conor Mcgregor opened as the betting favourite"

Cant check as I'm in work correct me if I'm wrong :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ibrahimovic

you are right
    he was favourite with a lot of bookies even before the injury or in the latest
    preview which was recent

Nah he wasn't, not on the bookies on oddschecker anyway. I've a big bet on Mcgregor at 5/4 and I keep an eye on those odds daily, and Mcgregor has been slowly catching up since the fight was announced, but he was never favourite before yesterday, he was the same odds to win as Aldo on ladbrokes, but never favourite.

Nah he wasn't, not on the bookies on oddschecker anyway. I've a big bet on Mcgregor at 5/4 and I keep an eye on those odds daily, and Mcgregor has been slowly catching up since the fight was announced, but he was never favourite before yesterday, he was the same odds to win as Aldo on ladbrokes, but never favourite.

pretty sure conor was favourite a few days ago and joint favourite with a lot even a week ago
    you surely didnt get 5/4 on conor in the last week or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Or

All i can see is a Conor KO sometime before the end of round 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

slightly off topic but wtf was nate diaz doing campaigning for the fight ? he is so far down the pecking order its no joke

think him and the bro need to stay off the whacky tobaccy , guys crazy

http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-25-june-2180769-Jun2015/

John Kavanagh: We won’t know until the day before the fight if it’s Aldo or Mendes

Great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

John Kavanagh: We won’t know until the day before the fight if it’s Aldo or Mendes

Great

Wtf!!!

This is crazy, nothing like that has happened before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Great

It'll be Mendes, keep the tickets and PPV sales coming in. Then the day before Aldo drops out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ibrahimovic

pretty sure conor was favourite a few days ago and joint favourite with a lot even a week ago
    you surely didnt get 5/4 on conor in the last week or so?

No got the 5/4 in March! I know he was 13/10 before that with boyles, maybe even higher before that? He was 5/2 for a ko as well! But i decided to play it safe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement