Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That was a great read, especially the bits:
    It was UFC president Dana White who called me and asked how we felt about Chad Mendes stepping in to fight Conor for the belt. Conor was sleeping at the time so I walked into his room and told him it could be Mendes instead. He opened one eye, said ‘They’re all the same’ and then went back to sleep. That’s as far as any negotiation went.
    It’s the very same for Gunnar Nelson. His fight was actually changed while he was asleep. He woke up late that day, I told him he had a new opponent and instead of asking who it was (Brandon Thatch), he just said ‘Oh, okay’ and then went about making his breakfast. I’m very proud of the guys for being like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

No got the 5/4 in March! I know he was 13/10 before that with boyles, maybe even higher before that? He was 5/2 for a ko as well! But i decided to play it safe.

I would prepare myself for a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    It'll be Mendes, keep the tickets and PPV sales coming in. Then the day before Aldo drops out.

Yeah , the more i think about it you're prob right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well that's a relief. Delighted for all those who forked out to go. Even if it falls through at least they are still getting an excellent match up.

Waiting for the tweet now where McGregor pulls out injured.....

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

stephenl15 wrote: »
    He did in the ufc189 promo I'm almost sure. He said something along the lines of "despite Aldo undefeated ten years blah blah blah Conor Mcgregor opened as the betting favourite"

Cant check as I'm in work correct me if I'm wron :p
    If it's a quote from his show. He was talking about a few weeks ago when Conor was the fav in Vegas. He had a photo of the book on the video.

Besides the previous poster was talking about now. And as a few of us linked to Conor is currently the favourite since the injury story broke.

srumball wrote: »
    I'd fight McGregor with a bruised rib for 3 million dollars.... Aldo will be there

It's not necessarily up to Aldo. The NSAC will want to clear the injury before hand. Hense why we won't know until a day or two out.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Does anybody know what difference is?
    1 million buys = $3.5million PPV bonus

Typical 145 title fight
    200k buys = $0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mellor wrote: »
    1 million buys = $3.5million PPV bonus

Typical 145 title fight
    200k buys = $0
    Wow. So just on the PPVs alone he'll be getting $3.5million?

What would that be on top of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

prob $150 k to show and $150 k win bonus

That's on top of his fight purse. Which for the last few fights was $120k show, with a $120k win bonus. It might go up a bit.
    Oh, plus $40k Reebok ;)

McGregor will prob get PPV bonus, plus $100k show +$100k win (maybe more) and $30k Reebok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

If it's a quote from his show. He was talking about a few weeks ago when Conor was the fav in Vegas. He had a photo of the book on the video.

For what it's worth, Rogan says it in the extended preview. At 3:20. He rhymes off Aldos skill and then mentions Conor being betting favourite.

http://youtu.be/_8nWYu6mtFs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Besides the previous poster was talking about now. And as a few of us linked to Conor is currently the favourite since the injury story broke.

He has been the betting favourite a few times in Vegas since the betting opened. But Rogan saying McGregor opened as the betting favourite is wrong. Aldo did and it moved.

The prices opened in Vegas at Aldo -210 and McGregor +160 and its now -122 Aldo and +102 McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The embedded series for this is going to be great. Following McGregor, Mendes and Aldo all at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What does Aldo do now ?I assume training stops he can't do much with bruised ribs will only aggravate it to train ?

Is he still in Brazil ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dave1982 wrote: »
    What does Aldo do now ?I assume training stops he can't do much with bruised ribs will only aggravate it to train ?

Is he still in Brazil ?

He spit shines dat belt EEEIIIRRREEEE MUDDDAAAFACKAAAA

For what it's worth, Rogan says it in the extended preview. At 3:20. He rhymes off Aldos skill and then mentions Conor being betting favourite.

http://youtu.be/_8nWYu6mtFs

Cheers for that.
    More or less what he say on JRE.
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    He has
    been the betting favourite a few times in Vegas since the betting opened. But Rogan saying McGregor opened as the betting favourite is wrong. Aldo did and it moved.
    Except that Rogan didn't say "opened".
    The prices opened in Vegas at Aldo -210 and McGregor +160 and its now -122 Aldo and +102 McGregor.
    Mcgregor is fav right now.
    It was 2.1 Aldo, 1.9 McGregor 24 hours ago, but it's moving pretty close to Evens on both.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    He spit shines dat belt EEEIIIRRREEEE MUDDDAAAFACKAAAA

Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Davei141 wrote: »

So if Conor were to win he could be out for months maybe year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Speculating based on a rumour: Never a good idea. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What happens if Aldo misses weight? Would it still be a championship fight if the challenger makes weight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

And if Conor were to win the belt and be out for a year, would Aldo and Mendes fight for an interim belt until Conor was fit?

What happens if Aldo misses weight? Would it still be a championship fight if the challenger makes weight?

Yeah it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Only time I remember this happening was when Paulo Filho missed weight as the champ vs Sonnen in the WEC, and it was deemed a non title. Chael even won the fight but didn't get the belt. The rules could easily have changed since then but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's on top of his fight purse. Which for the last few fights was $120k show, with a $120k win bonus. It might go up a bit.
    Oh, plus $40k Reebok ;)

McGregor will prob get PPV bonus, plus $100k show +$100k win (maybe more) and $30k Reebok

How is the PPV bonus calculated? Does it just go to the headliners?

Sorry for all the questions. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

If McGregor wins he'd be Champion, If Aldo wins the title would be vacant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Saipanne wrote: »
    And if Conor were to win the belt and be out for a year, would Aldo and Mendes fight for an interim belt until Conor was fit?

And if Aldo got injured in the run up to Aldo Mendes 3, would there be an interim-interim fight between Mendes and Edgar

Beltception.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

How is the PPV bonus calculated? Does it just go to the headliners?

Sorry for all the questions. :o
    Fighters negotiate it into their contracts. I could be mistaken (no doubt mellor will tell me I am :p ) but I believe top tier fighters who headline or co-headline can earn upwards of 5% of PPV buys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Something really doesn't smell right with all this.

Everything out of Aldo's camp made this seem like such a huge deal, eg saying he was rushed to hospital and stating that it was definitely a fracture. I don't know how a rib injury turns from being a fracture to being bruised overnight, scans would show a fracture or they wouldn't.

So the options I can see are:
    a) original local doctor messed up and told Aldo's camp it was fractured, later opinions (possibly from the UFC doctors) called the local doctor out on it
    b) Aldo's camp were making a bigger deal over this than they were actually told (insert reason foil hat or otherwise here)

Actually are there any medical heads here? As far as I was aware bruised/cartilage issues wouldn't even come up on any sort of scan. Are there any physical signs of bruised/cartilage issues with ribs outside of possible bruising and the patient showing discomfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Foxtrol wrote: »

Everything out of Aldo's camp made this seem like such a huge deal, eg saying he was rushed to hospital and stating that it was definitely a fracture. I don't know how a rib injury turns from being a fracture to being bruised overnight, scans would show a fracture or they wouldn't.

a) original local doctor messed up and told Aldo's camp it was fractured, later opinions (possibly from the UFC doctors) called the local doctor out on it
    b) Aldo's camp were making a bigger deal over this than they were actually told (insert reason foil hat or otherwise here)

Actually are there any medical heads here? As far as I was aware bruised/cartilage issues wouldn't even come up on any sort of scan. Are there any physical signs of bruised/cartilage issues with ribs outside of possible bruising and the patient showing discomfort?

I think your looking for something that isnt there...fighters get hurt all the time and to be fair the news from the official sources where consistent throughout.

Plenty of people have said that the difference in pain between bruised and fractured can be minimal depending on the severity of each, so it can make perfect sense for them to believe they were broken.

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    Only time I remember this happening was when Paulo Filho missed weight as the champ vs Sonnen in the WEC, and it was deemed a non title. Chael even won the fight but didn't get the belt. The rules could easily have changed since then but I'm not sure.
    Happened with Anderson too against Lutter

I think your looking for something that isnt there...fighters get hurt all the time and to be fair the news from the official sources where consistent throughout.

Well is anything I said in my post not true?

Fighters get hurt all the time but their camp don't come out and make a huge deal about the injury for it to turn out to be a lot milder than they said. It's always the other way around.

They had plenty of opportunity to play down that it wasn't a fracture but they chose not to. Do you have any idea why they'd do that outside of the two options I gave in my previous post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Delighted that all you who have booked up get to see McGregor v Aldo. I'd imagine you'll all get a bit of sleep tonight for the first time since Monday! :pac:

Conor fights Mendes. Mendes is going to be on weight.

UFC will be watching Aldo's weight like a hawk from the time he arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

A good read on Fox UFC - Why Jose Aldo's injuries are still a big, dangerous deal

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/why-ufc-champion-jose-aldo-s-injuries-are-still-a-big-dangerous-deal-062515

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think it's just a lot of chinese whispers, I don't think it was ever officially confirmed that he broke it. These injuries happen all the time, the fact it was leaked and involved one half of the biggest fight of the year probably makes it seem a bigger deal than it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kind of makes business sense that Aldo fights with an "injury" and Conor wins. The win is tainted and a bigger rematch occurs towards the end of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Next person to come up with a stupid conspiracy should get ip tracked to their gaff and beaten up by the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Fighters tend to compete with injuries all the time they just usually keep quiet til after the fight.

Conor continued on with a torn ACL wasn't it?
    Jones broke a toe mid fight and kept going, didn't even notice til afterwards.
    Cerrone is usually carrying several injuries at a time. Didn't he fight with a broken foot and broken knuckles before? (seperate fights I think)

I doubt Aldo will be too happy with whoever leaked the injury if it stops him from competing and costs him his payday

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think it's just a lot of chinese whispers, I don't think it was ever officially confirmed that he broke it. These injuries happen all the time, the fact it was leaked and involved one half of the biggest fight of the year probably makes it seem a bigger deal than it is

His coach spoke to media and talked about all the pain he was in, how they are waiting for the fracture to be confirmed, and how he'd be out until October. They brought out the sparring partner who hurt him who again talked about what pain he was in and how he was rushed to hospital. They could have easily played down, just said there was no news or said nothing but instead they came out and poured fuel on the media speculation by overplaying the injury.

Compare that to the McGregor camp during in the run up to his last fight in Vegas. Rumours were circulating throughout the mma media that he had a thumb injury but the whole camp played down the issue until after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Well is anything I said in my post not true?

Fighters get hurt all the time but their camp don't come out and make a huge deal about the injury for it to turn out to be a lot milder than they said. It's always the other way around.

They had plenty of opportunity to play down that it wasn't a fracture but they chose not to. Do you have any idea why they'd do that outside of the two options I gave in my previous post?

Aldos camp didnt claim it was definitely a fracture, it was speculation on the various "sources" etc that did that and i imagine the quote below caused the fuss. In fairness any comment by aldos camp is going to be massive as this fight is huge and all the did was tell it like it was with the info at hand.

If the fracture is really confirmed, Aldo will have to stop training, do nothing for three or four weeks until it’s fixed, and then he would be able to do any exercise without forcing his rib," Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras said. "And then he would need a normal time to do a training camp: three months. I believe this fight wouldn’t happen before October

Aldos camp didnt claim it was definitely a fracture, it was speculation on the various "sources" etc that did that and i imagine the quote below caused the fuss. In fairness any comment by aldos camp is going to be massive as this fight is huge and all the did was tell it like it was with the info at hand.

If the fracture is really confirmed, Aldo will have to stop training, do nothing for three or four weeks until it’s fixed, and then he would be able to do any exercise without forcing his rib," Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras said. "And then he would need a normal time to do a training camp: three months. I believe this fight wouldn’t happen before October

It makes no sense to 'tell it like it was with the info at hand' unless you want to push back the fight either way or else make the fighter appear more injured than they are for whatever reason (or maybe they're just thick).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

His coach spoke to media and talked about all the pain he was in, how they are waiting for the fracture to be confirmed, and how he'd be out until October. They brought out the sparring partner who hurt him who again talked about what pain he was in and how he was rushed to hospital. They could have easily played down, just said there was no news or said nothing but instead they came out and poured fuel on the media speculation by overplaying the injury.

Compare that to the McGregor camp during in the run up to his last fight in Vegas. Rumours were circulating throughout the mma media that he had a thumb injury but the whole camp played down the issue until after the fight.

I dont think they handled it particularly well, but AP said Aldo would be out until October IF it was broken, but it isn't (apparently). I mean its either broken or it isn't, and it would be incredibly irresponsible for the UFC to be lying about it

Tox56 wrote: »
    I dont think they handled it particularly well, but AP said Aldo would be out until October IF it was broken, but it isn't (apparently). I mean its either broken or it isn't, and it would be incredibly irresponsible for the UFC to be lying about it

I don't think the UFC are lying about it as the risk/reward isn't there.

I just don't get the logic of why AP and the rest of Aldo's camp would act the way they did (continuously emphasising how hurt is was) unless they wanted to fuel the media storm.

I'm not normally one for conspiracies so I'm open to another logical explanation. I just don't think one of the supposed best camps in the world would act completely opposite to the norm of every other camp without some sort of agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Coach Kavanagh wrote about the last few days:
    http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-25-june-2180769-Jun2015/

What a man! I love the way they operate their camp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Front Row Brian may get the odd bit of news right but he just seems to throw so much **** out every day that some should stick and claims that he's 'in the know' when right but when he gets it wrong which he does most of the time he just says 'I was told x/y/z was true from good sources' etc

He's a bulll****ter, who is friends with Chael and gets a little bit of news, more when Chael was working on UFC Tonight.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Front Row Brian may get the odd bit of news right but he just seems to throw so much **** out every day that some should stick and claims that he's 'in the know' when right but when he gets it wrong which he does most of the time he just says 'I was told x/y/z was true from good sources' etc

He's a bulll****ter, who is friends with Chael and gets a little bit of news, more when Chael was working on UFC Tonight.

You're dead right, don't disagree probably should have ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

You're dead right, don't disagree probably should have ignored.

Watch him be right about this one and McGregor will say it in the press conference after the fight just to annoy me!

Fromvert wrote: »
    Watch him be right about this one and McGregor will say it in the press conference after the fight just to annoy me!

Tweeted again about it just there! Hopefully he is wrong.

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/614111062636527617

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Another ACL tear would be bad news, depending on wear and tear during the fight and surgery after he'd be out for at least a year. It wouldn't bode well for the rest of his career either having torn it twice by 26.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement