Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Interesting to see all the talk of a rematch if Conor were to win and it would be a great cash cow for the UFC. Personally though I think this is Aldo's last fight no matter what the result. He already said he will be making an announcement after the fight, some think it may be moving up in weight but personally I think hes gonna hang up the gloves.

He obviously plans to beat McGregor and if he does so then hes beaten the best of the best over the past few years and been unbeatable. He has no more to prove, with his own coach retiring I can see him going the same way. I just thought it weird the timing of his own coach announcing his retirement. Add in the PPV earnings on top of all the usual money and its great nest egg for him to walk away with. He already said the UFC already knows his next step also, so while it could be a move up in weight it would be a good reason for the massive push from them in promoting the fight and doing the tour etc, obviously for their own financial reasons but its created such hype in terms of the two fighters that even the non MMA fans are aware and talking about this one. Time will tell...

Mellor wrote: »
    That's on top of his fight purse. Which for the last few fights was $120k show, with a $120k win bonus. It might go up a bit.
    Oh, plus $40k Reebok ;)

McGregor will prob get PPV bonus, plus $100k show +$100k win (maybe more) and $30k Reebok

Pretty sure all of the figures for this one are way more and from what I recall its along the lines of.

Aldo is on $3 per PPV sold
    McGregor is on $4 or $5 - he already said in interviews he was getting more than Aldo for them.

For the fight purse Aldo is getting $500,000 plus win bonus,
    McGregor is on $300,000 plus win bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Axwell wrote: »
    Interesting to see all the talk of a rematch if Conor were to win and it would be a great cash cow for the UFC. Personally though I think this is Aldo's last fight no matter what the result. He already said he will be making an announcement after the fight, some think it may be moving up in weight but personally I think hes gonna hang up the gloves.

He obviously plans to beat McGregor and if he does so then hes beaten the best of the best over the past few years and been unbeatable. He has no more to prove, with his own coach retiring I can see him going the same way. I just thought it weird the timing of his own coach announcing his retirement. Add in the PPV earnings on top of all the usual money and its great nest egg for him to walk away with. He already said the UFC already knows his next step also, so while it could be a move up in weight it would be a good reason for the massive push from them in promoting the fight and doing the tour etc, obviously for their own financial reasons but its created such hype in terms of the two fighters that even the non MMA fans are aware and talking about this one. Time will tell...

whatever happens i hope conner is gracious about it. regardless of how good mcgregor is and pre fight bulid up, when the dust settles i hope he acknowledges aldo for the machine that he is and the successes that he's had.

Old Perry wrote: »
    whatever happens i hope conner is gracious about it. regardless of how good mcgregor is and pre fight bulid up, when the dust settles i hope he acknowledges aldo for the machine that he is and the successes that he's had.

I have no doubt he will be, he has always been gracious afterwards. Promotion is big business, thats what gets the asses on seats and the ppv buys in. Its his job to sell the fight, do the thrash talk and there has to be a good guy/bad guy feel about it. At the end of the day he respects anyone that gets in the cage and fights and I am sure he will say as much after this fight is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

whats all this bull crap about conor being injured or carrying a knee complaint ?

this is a bleeden circus

whats all this bull crap about conor being injured or carrying a knee complaint ?

this is a bleeden circus

Much like this forum lately with some of the comments..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I have no doubt he will be, he has always been gracious afterwards. Promotion is big business, thats what gets the asses on seats and the ppv buys in. Its his job to sell the fight, do the thrash talk and there has to be a good guy/bad guy feel about it. At the end of the day he respects anyone that gets in the cage and fights and I am sure he will say as much after this fight is done.

Yeah, he always is.

To be fair to the Irish fans at the Fight Night in Boston they were pretty similar, they gave Aldo fierce hassle/abuse during the pre weigh-in Q&A but nearly every one applauded him off the stage once the event was over. I presume Vegas will be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Much like this forum lately with some of the comments..

Can we just skip Machida vs Romero this weekend and have July 11th already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That_Guy wrote: »
    Can we just skip Machida vs Romero this weekend and have July 11th already?

That would be too funny, people logging in here on Sunday/Monday, what ya talking bout? The Aldo/Conor fight, nah, ya missed it :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Don Frye on Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo
    “I’ll go with one of my fellow white men. Seeing as everyone's white and black and racist today, I’m going to pull out my race card and go with the crazy 'Mick'. He’s in Jose Aldo’s mind and poor old Jose doesn’t know whether to **** or go blind.”

Thoughts on Conor McGregor being the Gary Busey of MMA
    “Yeah I think - didn’t they used to have a reality TV show [where] some guys would follow him around? That crazy actor? Who was that crazy actor with those big teeth?........Gary Busey.”

“I’m with Conor. Conor’s like Gary Busey. Man, Geez-louise. You know don’t where this guy's coming from.”

:confused::confused::D:D:D

• Advertisement

ah i was just thinkin of post fight siver where it was mostly bragin and talkin about PEDs. my thought was it would be a shame to do that to aldo injury or not. im rootin for conner all the way, nothin would please me more, but before him it was all aldo and he certainly deserves a bow in the event of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Johnner101

Rumours that Conor ****ed up bad knee while rolling with Rory Mc on world tour

He been gettin stem cell injections the past 3 months

I hope its not true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Johnner101 wrote:

Rumours. From that Brian dude. He's rumours have been proved to be just that on several occasions

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Rumours. From that Brian dude. He's rumours have been proved to be just that on several occasions
    I really hope so but i was wondering why neither Conor or Rory mentioned anything about the session that they did together afterwards

Hopefully it's bull****

Johnner101 wrote:
    I really hope so but i was wondering why neither Conor or Rory mentioned anything about the session that they did together afterwards

And why would it come out a day after Aldo got injured.
    If Connor was having problems with his knee ligaments then he would be out of the fight 100%
    Takes months to heal and you cant fight through the pain, because even if there is no pain it'd still be wobbley, especially fighting a guy like aldo who will kick the legs off him

Johnner101 wrote: »

Hopefully it's bull****

Conor never told us what he had for his dinner last week either. It's a disgrace I tells ya.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    And why would it come out a day after Aldo got injured.
    If Connor was having problems with his knee ligaments then he would be out of the fight 100%
    Takes months to heal and you cant fight through the pain, because even if there is no pain it'd still be wobbley, especially fighting a guy like aldo who will kick the legs off him
    I hope you are right and its just a bull**** rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What happens if Aldo misses weight? Would it still be a championship fight if the challenger makes weight?
    Technically no.
    But they could have a contingency plan in place so that McGregor was still fighting for the title if he makes weight (see: Lawlor v Hendricks)

TimRiggins wrote: »
    If McGregor wins he'd be Champion, If Aldo wins the title would be vacant.
    I don't think so. That was only the case with Lawlor vrs Hendricks as the title was vacant going into the fight.

Aldo misses weight and wins, he's fined my the commission, probably losses his bonus, and walks away as champ.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    How is the PPV bonus calculated? Does it just go to the headliners?

Sorry for all the questions. :o
    Fighters negotiate it into their contracts. I could be mistaken (no doubt mellor will tell me I am :p ) but I believe top tier fighters who headline or co-headline can earn upwards of 5% of PPV buys
    nah, that's essentially it. ;) It's written into the contracts.
    It's a sliding scale. They need to go over a certain threshold before they get anything, and $/PPV buy amount increases as it increases.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    Something really doesn't smell right with all this.

Everything out of Aldo's camp made this seem like such a huge deal, eg saying he was rushed to hospital and stating that it was definitely a fracture. I don't know how a rib injury turns from being a fracture to being bruised overnight, scans would show a fracture or they wouldn't.
    The short answer is that a bone bruise isn't like a muscle or skin bruise, its basically a type of fracture. Sort of like an internal compression fracture in the bone. I've had one on my shin and it felt like it was fractured, the doctor thought it was, but nothing showed up on the xray. Look as long to heal as a hairline fracture.
    Johnner101 wrote: »

He been gettin stem cell injections the past 3 months

I hope its not true

It's started as he got an injection 3 months ago, and not its become ongoing "injections the past 3 months".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Assuming that was impersonater on 4fm pretending to be conor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

“It turns out it’s just a bruised rib,” McGregor said. “Little bit of ice, little bit of ibuprofen, little bit of ‘toughen the f-ck up,’ and we should get on with the fight.”

Lol

I've missed him while he was being quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Good interview, he didn't know what to say about the Interim belt, he knows its not as good but he can't say that

Great interview - one of his best I think
    Hope he's renegotiated his purse up: I think UFC owe him for staying the course and not flinching at the alternate proposals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Is it just me or does he sound kinda downbeat here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

A bit maybe, he is defo restrained in his response, UFC told him what he can't say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

He definitely sounds bummed out and who could blame him, he doesn't believe Aldo will fight and I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Davei141 wrote: »
    He definitely sounds bummed out and who could blame him, he doesn't believe Aldo will fight and I agree.

He does think you could see he wanted to say more to some of the questions but was holding himself back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

py2006 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does he sound kinda downbeat here?

I thought so too, I felt he knew the Aldo fight wasn't a runner watching that.

Probably just a bit hungry, talking about the steak dinner he missed!
    I really thought it was a professional performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Anyone read Pendreds article in The Mirror?

This caught my eye.
    There were a few conspiracy theories going around about why I was added to the Vegas card.

It’s been put out there that it was to soften the blow after the injury to Jose Aldo that looks like delaying his eagerly-awaited showdown with Conor McGregor.

Those theories aren’t true and it’s a shame if, as now seems likely, that fight doesn’t happen.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/cathal-pendred-pestering-ufc-paid-5947308

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »

This caught my eye.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/cathal-pendred-pestering-ufc-paid-5947308

That was before confirmation it wasn't a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Saipanne wrote: »

This caught my eye.

He probably wrote that before the announcement that it was going ahead as planned with Mendes as contingency. Back when it definitely didn't look likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Davei141 wrote: »
    That was before confirmation it wasn't a break.

Yeah, I just copped that. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 resueman

Can't post URL's because I'm new to it but YouTube ''Fatal Charm McGregor''

resueman wrote:
    Can't post URL's because I'm new to it but YouTube ''Fatal Charm McGregor''

Why, whats it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The amount of Irish over there is just going to be outrageous. 25% of all ticket sales coming from Ireland, not to mention all the Irish - American. My younger brother is on a j1 in california and he tells me every group of j1ers he knows are making the trip up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

dulux99 wrote: »
    The amount of Irish over there is just going to be outrageous. 25% of all ticket sales coming from Ireland, not to mention all the Irish - American. My younger brother is on a j1 in california and he tells me every group of j1ers he knows are making the trip up.

I know several people doing their J1 on the west coast so they can go to UFC 189

Massive respect to McGregor for fighting knowing all the people made the trip to see him. If it wasn't for him this would pushed back till September.

I know several people doing their J1 on the west coast so they can go to UFC 189

I have to say im seriously jealous of everyone going ovr but the above class. what a way to spend the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Scooper

Cannot wait for this. It's been on my mind every single day since it was announced after the Siver fight. I had plans made to go to Boston in January for Conor's last fight. Everything was sorted and then something came up at home and I had to cancel the whole trip. I was gutted. But as soon as this fight in July was confirmed, I wasn't going to miss it.

Looking forward to hitting up Vegas with all the Irish supporters. I reckon it's going to be like Ireland playing in a World Cup. The atmosphere and buzz around Vegas will be incredible and when a gang of passionate Irish fans get together, it will be even more special.

Anyone have a rough guess at how man Irish will be at the MGM for the fight? I know there'll probably be hundreds or even a couple of thousand who won't have tickets, but will still be travelling to Vegas to be part of it all. It's going to be unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Scooper wrote: »
    Cannot wait for this. It's been on my mind every single day since it was announced after the Siver fight. I had plans made to go to Boston in January for Conor's last fight. Everything was sorted and then something came up at home and I had to cancel the whole trip. I was gutted. But as soon as this fight in July was confirmed, I wasn't going to miss it.

Looking forward to hitting up Vegas with all the Irish supporters. I reckon it's going to be like Ireland playing in a World Cup. The atmosphere and buzz around Vegas will be incredible and when a gang of passionate Irish fans get together, it will be even more special.

Anyone have a rough guess at how man Irish will be at the MGM for the fight? I know there'll probably be hundreds or even a couple of thousand who won't have tickets, but will still be travelling to Vegas to be part of it all. It's going to be unreal.

A fair few will to the cctv telecast beside the arena. I was at 178 and it was unreal. Seemed like 70% Irish but in reality was 15-20%. Was beside some Chinese guys who had mcgregor tees on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

A fair few will to the cctv telecast beside the arena. I was at 178 and it was unreal. Seemed like 70% Irish but in reality was 15-20%. Was beside some Chinese guys who had mcgregor tees on.

At the weigh-ins there definitely seemed to be about 70% Irish, with the rest being confused Americans and other nationalities taking videos of us.

With everyone being able to get into weigh-ins, including all those with no tickets, this time will be even crazier, with the pockets of Brazilians only adding to the chaos. I presume security will be beefed up this time as they had no clue how to deal with Irish chanting in groups and not listening to them. Any word on where the weigh in will be? This time there's nothing on in the arena so hopefully it'll be there rather than the flat floor last time. Conor mentioned before that they should open the whole arena rather than half.

I'd say the numbers in the arena of actual Irish will be at least over 50%, as every group of Irish emigrants I know in the States/Canada has at least a couple going to it (including myself). Supplement that 50% with second generation Irish and general US McGregor fans and there'll be massive support.

MGM are charging $75 plus handling fee to watch a stream of the event itself in their ball room. It's pricey but pretty much everything in Vegas is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i personally hate not knowing who he is facing , its a bit of a ****ty situation for him , great for most fans as alot wanted to see him against mendes etc ( wrestler question )

i want aldo and only aldo , but feel bitter sweet cause if he wins it will be " aldo didnt recover " from the ribs etc

makes for an interesting friday 10th to see turns up at weigh in

anybody think mendes and aldo will weigh in and leave it till literally last min to see if aldo makes it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

For those who were at 178, was there a particular area where the Irish congregated? A stateside version of Gdansk maybe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

For those who were at 178, was there a particular area where the Irish congregated? A stateside version of Gdansk maybe :)

Tailgate party!! Cans and guiter and a sing song in front of the belligio fountain ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

There was Irish all over the place at 178, everyone was together at the weigh-ins in the MGM and McGregors after party in the Bellagio. There's an Irish bar in New York New York that has Bulmers and Guinness on tap called Nine Fine Irishmen so that will probably be a good place to start. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The amount of Irish over there is just going to be outrageous. 25% of all ticket sales coming from Ireland.

I was looking for a ticket sales breakdown by location the other day and couldn't find one. Have you seen one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

New reports aldo's injury is actually a fracture! US docs say bruised rib, Brazilian docs are saying fracture! Sounds like pure shit, he is a bottler! Plus he is dodging drug tests so who knows what he's on!

I was of the mind that Aldo would win this fight being the champ that he is but this seems like absolute crap! Doesn't want to fight in vegas, wants to get the fight put back to fight in Brazil! Pulled out of 4 fights previously he's always at this carry on, Cathal Pendred will nearly have as many fights as the cunt in the UFC after 189!

I say strip him of the belt, let Medes step in and watch Mcgregor batter that prick too! May as well be the champ after that!

Source: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/27/8856011/ufc-189-jose-aldo-has-conflicting-diagnosis-on-injury-brazil-medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

This thread is ridiculous at times.

• Advertisement

Hyperbole much? Christ almighty.

We should probably strip every champion of their title if they get injured. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement