Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Not at all, but it's getting ridiculous at this point! He's always pulling out of fights. If it was the first time fair enough but this will be the fifth title fight he's pulled out of, What use is he as champion if he's never fit to fight when he's meant to. Seems like he fights when he wants to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

Wind your neck in space cowboy & stay off the brown sauce

foleypio wrote: »
    Wind your neck in space cowboy & stay off the brown sauce

Good man, solid input!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

Good man, solid input!

Better than the **** you've been talking all morning

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Scooper

He shouldn't be stripped of the title, but it would be good for the UFC if there was a new champion in the Featherweight division. At the end of the day, Aldo doesn't generate money near as much as McGregor and if Conor was to win the belt, it would open up a lot of doors for the UFC to make big money. McGregor vs Mendes, McGregor vs Edgar, these fights will create more money than anyone you can put against Aldo. In fact, McGregor vs anybody = money and if he's the champ defending his title, even moreso. Conor being the new Featherweight champion is best for everyone. **** Aldo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

New reports aldo's injury is actually a fracture! US docs say bruised rib, Brazilian docs are saying fracture! Sounds like pure shit, he is a bottler! Plus he is dodging drug tests so who knows what he's on!

I was of the mind that Aldo would win this fight being the champ that he is but this seems like absolute crap! Doesn't want to fight in vegas, wants to get the fight put back to fight in Brazil! Pulled out of 4 fights previously he's always at this carry on, Cathal Pendred will nearly have as many fights as the cunt in the UFC after 189!

I say strip him of the belt, let Medes step in and watch Mcgregor batter that prick too! May as well be the champ after that!

Source: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/27/8856011/ufc-189-jose-aldo-has-conflicting-diagnosis-on-injury-brazil-medical

There's "rumour" Connor might need knee surgery again soon, should he win do you think he should be stripped of title if he needs surgery, he could be out up to a year if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Start preparing for Mendes, Aldo ain't fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

As much as i'd like to see McGregor with the gold, putting an interim belt on the line between McG & Mendes is an absolute joke and reduces the value of Jose Aldo being the legit #1 FW in the world.

It's a rib issue. He's no Dominick Cruz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Aldo will be thoroughly checked by independent doctors at the weigh-ins when every fighter goes through their pre-fight medical. If it's fractured, there's no way he'll be cleared to fight. If it's bruised, he'll be fighting.

It could quite literally be late Friday night (GMT) before we know for sure who Conor is fighting, though his coach said they're going to give it a week and then re-evaluate (per Bloody Elbow), so things should be a slight bit clearer by the end of next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MrStuffins wrote: »
    As much as i'd like to see McGregor with the gold, putting an interim belt on the line between McG & Mendes is an absolute joke and reduces the value of Jose Aldo being the legit #1 FW in the world.

It's a rib issue. He's no Dominick Cruz!

i agree but i think the reasoning is they want Conor to be headlining this card, and as it's for a belt, albeit interim, he will be. If they just got him a regular fight he'd be second behind the lawlor fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm no doctor, but surely if it's fractured, the original doctors report would have already seen that by now? There's hardly that much swelling that could be in the way?

dave1982 wrote: »
    There's "rumour" Connor might need knee surgery again soon, should he win do you think he should be stripped of title if he needs surgery, he could be out up to a year if true.

But that's the thing he will be out, not scheduled to fight and pulling out AGAIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

But that's the thing he will be out, not scheduled to fight and pulling out AGAIN!

@spacecowboy
    Did you ever train for an MMA fight? If you did then you'll understand what Aldo is putting himself through. He probably has to push himself harder than any other fighter to keep himself ahead of the pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

So slightly off topic but Michael bisping claims to now have fastest European ticket sales for the upcoming Scotland card, biggest gate bigger arena and faster sell out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

He claimed that weeks ago... :)

I believe Aldo is out also,

No 'weigh' (Ill get my coat ! ) he'll make championship weight if he has to sit still for the next week - 10 days...?

dave1982 wrote: »
    So slightly off topic but Michael bisping claims to now have fastest European ticket sales for the upcoming Scotland card, biggest gate bigger arena and faster sell out

Bisping also claimed he was gonna win the MW title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

scudzilla wrote: »
    i agree but i think the reasoning is they want Conor to be headlining this card, and as it's for a belt, albeit interim, he will be. If they just got him a regular fight he'd be second behind the lawlor fight

You're 100% right. But they're valuing having McGregor in the main and fighting for "a" belt equally or higher than the fact that Aldo is the undisputed #1 in the world.

Are we really to believe that Chad Mendes, a guy who has lost twice to Jose Aldo, is deserving of being called an Interim champ?

They're selling wolf tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    @spacecowboy
    Did you ever train for an MMA fight? If you did then you'll understand what Aldo is putting himself through. He probably has to push himself harder than any other fighter to keep himself ahead of the pack.

Easy to do when you know you've no qualms with pulling out of every fight at a drop of a hat when you take a knock. Pulling out of 5 out of 8 fights is a shameful stat and shows he's doing something very, very wrong in his training or there's something corrupt going on.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You're 100% right. But they're valuing having McGregor in the main and fighting for "a" belt equally or higher than the fact that Aldo is the undisputed #1 in the world.

Are we really to believe that Chad Mendes, a guy who has lost twice to Jose Aldo, is deserving of being called an Interim champ?

They're selling wolf tickets!

If he's incapable of showing up for fights time and again then his title deserves to be disputed.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Easy to do when you know you've no qualms with pulling out of every fight at a drop of a hat when you take a knock. Pulling out of 5 out of 8 fights is a shameful stat and shows he's doing something very, very wrong in his training or there's something corrupt going on.

Have you ever trained for an MMA fight?

• Advertisement

He's not paid to, Aldo is and is the champion

He has a point, there must be something wrong with Aldo's training if he's constantly getting 'injured'

scudzilla wrote: »
    He's not paid to, Aldo is and is the champion

He has a point, there must be something wrong with Aldo's training if he's constantly getting 'injured'

He has to outwork everyone in the gym to maintain his no. 1 spot. Everyone biting at his heels. Plus the Brazilians are notorious for their gym wars doges bound to get injured. I'm not saying it's right to go that hard in the gym but that's what he does and he must believe it works for him

A lot of bandwagoners on here probably think training for a fight involves hitting pads are rolling around the ground in karate suits

Couldn't agree with you anymore on this! it's a shocking stat
    A lot of bandwagoners on here probably think training for a fight involves hitting pads are rolling around the ground in karate suits

I've trained in judo and kickboxing since i was a little lad and have many friends in both the amateur and pro MMA circuits so i'm well aware of what goes into training for a fight and the intensity that the guys at the top have to put in but these same guys are being paid big money to fight on a specific date, there's never been another UFC champion who has pulled out of as many fights as Aldo, albeit not many others have reigned for so long but you didn't see Anderson silva pulling out of every title defense or Jon Jones.

He's only had 7 fights in his UFC career since 2011, McGregor has had 5 in the space of two years. I'm not even really a fan of Mcgregor i had my money on aldo for this but even in his interview you hear him say it all, "everyone carries knocks into the octagon", if it was a fracture it would be obvious, it would show up in a ct scan and that would be it grand, but all this crap of letting it get out to the media and then its a bruise but oh wait no its a fracture according to the docs in brazil is ridiculous!

Have to be careful what i say here but i think there's a real chance of 'Brazil' becoming the new Japan (Pride era)

Couldn't agree with you anymore on this! it's a shocking stat

I've trained in judo and kickboxing since i was a little lad and have many friends in both the amateur and pro MMA circuits so i'm well aware of what goes into training for a fight and the intensity that the guys at the top have to put in but these same guys are being paid big money to fight on a specific date, there's never been another UFC champion who has pulled out of as many fights as Aldo, albeit not many others have reigned for so long but you didn't see Anderson silva pulling out of every title defense or Jon Jones.

He's only had 7 fights in his UFC career since 2011, McGregor has had 5 in the space of two years. I'm not even really a fan of Mcgregor i had my money on aldo for this but even in his interview you hear him say it all, "everyone carries knocks into the octagon", if it was a fracture it would be obvious, it would show up in a ct scan and that would be it grand, but all this crap of letting it get out to the media and then its a bruise but oh wait no its a fracture according to the docs in brazil is ridiculous!

I do agree it's a bad stat and the way they're handling it is ridiculous. All this shjt and rumours. They should release one statement only if he's out of the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They should release one statement only if he's out of the fight.

Genuine question here (I'm very, very, very new to MMA), but are they afraid if they come out & admit Aldo won't be fighting that it'd affect PPV sales & viewing figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AndThatsAFact

wheres the best place to get my moneys worth out of backing conor McGregor? also whats the deal with betting if mendes has to step in will there be time to back mendes?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Genuine question here (I'm very, very, very new to MMA), but are they afraid if they come out & admit Aldo won't be fighting that it'd affect PPV sales & viewing figures?

It might but that's not their concern. If he got injured in training he should've been checked out quietly. If he was ok then say nothing. If he's injured then release a statement saying so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It might but that's not their concern. If he got injured in training he should've been checked out quietly. If he was ok then say nothing. If he's injured then release a statement saying so

In fairness, we don't know how big or small Aldo's gym is. If it's a big gym, something's bound to get leaked by somebody and that's most likely what has happened here.

That_Guy wrote: »
    In fairness, we don't know how big or small Aldo's gym is. If it's a big gym, something's bound to get leaked by somebody and that's most likely what has happened here.

Leaked or not they shouldn't be giving out statements as spacecowboy was saying. There should be one official statement and that'd cut out all the bul****e

I don't like how this keeps getting thrown around to try to make another poster's opinion seem less than their own. It stinks of someone who can't refute a poster's point and instead are trying to deflect. I actually think it's something that should be banned and put in the charter as I've seen it here a lot and it's just ego boosting willy measuring.

If you believe you have more experience then add your experiences to your posts but having more experience doesn't necessarily make your point anymore valid when they're wrong. Experience can easily institutionalise a person and blind them to the obvious, which is what I think is happening in a lot MMA gyms. Just because this is the way that it's always been done and has had some success, doesn't mean there isn't a better way out there.

Do you really have to have been in charge of a bus company call out that someone is doing a terrible job if 5 out of every 8 buses don't turn up? Aldo simply isn't doing his job and it looks like the UFC have enough of it.

I don't like how this keeps getting thrown around to try to make another poster's opinion seem less than their own. It stinks of someone who can't refute a poster's point and instead are trying to deflect. I actually think it's something that should be banned and put in the charter as I've seen it here a lot and it's just ego boosting willy measuring.

If you believe you have more experience then add your experiences to your posts but having more experience doesn't necessarily make your point anymore valid when they're wrong. Experience can easily institutionalise a person and blind them to the obvious, which is what I think is happening in a lot MMA gyms. Just because this is the way that it's always been done and has had some success, doesn't mean there isn't a better way out there.

Do you really have to have been in charge of a bus company call out that someone is doing a terrible job if 5 out of every 8 buses don't turn up? Aldo simply isn't doing his job and it looks like the UFC have enough of it.

It's nothing to do with ego. Try training 6 days a week and at high intensity in a sport with a massively high injury rate. The punishment the human body goes through can only be appreciated by somebody who actually goes through it.
    Im not saying aldo is or isn't taking the piss. I don't know. Nobody only he and his trainers know that. Some people are injury prone too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Training 6 days a week at high intensity in any sport will lead to a high injury rate, it doesn't actually matter what sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

It's nothing to do with ego. Try training 6 days a week and at high intensity in a sport with a massively high injury rate. The punishment the human body goes through can only be appreciated by somebody who actually goes through it.
    Im not saying aldo is or isn't taking the piss. I don't know. Nobody only he and his trainers know that. Some people are injury prone too

It's totally about ego, by asking that question (especially posts with just that question) you're trying to make yourself feel your opinion is more valid than the other poster. If I responded saying that I actually fought professionally, would your opinion on all MMA matters become less valid than mine? If not then what's the point in you asking other posters?

Again, it's ego to think that MMA camp is somehow a unique thing in the world that no one can possibly appreciate unless they've gone through it. To labour my bus analogy again I'm sure running a massive bus company is hard to appreciate but as a paying customer I'm well able to appreciate that they're doing it wrong when 5 out of 8 buses aren't showing up.

Some people are injury prone but if they are they should change their training to lessen the risk of injury. All high level professional sports tailor their sessions to reduce the likelihood of injuries occurring during training. I just can't see that being the case for the training of someone who misses more fights than he makes.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Training 6 days a week at high intensity in any sport will lead to a high injury rate, it doesn't actually matter what sport.

I'd say you'd have a higher injury rate doing mma training for six days than you would golfing training

It's totally about ego, by asking that question (especially posts with just that question) you're trying to make yourself feel your opinion is more valid than the other poster. If I responded saying that I actually fought professionally, would your opinion on all MMA matters become less valid than mine? If not then what's the point in you asking other posters?

Again, it's ego to think that MMA camp is somehow a unique thing in the world that no one can possibly appreciate unless they've gone through it. To labour my bus analogy again I'm sure running a massive bus company is hard to appreciate but as a paying customer I'm well able to appreciate that they're doing it wrong when 5 out of 8 buses aren't showing up.

Some people are injury prone but if they are they should change their training to lessen the risk of injury. All high level professional sports tailor their sessions to reduce the likelihood of injuries occurring during training. I just can't see that being the case for the training of someone who misses more fights than he makes.

Tell me, how do you change your training? Do you ask the other guy not to hit so hard as it might hurt too much?
    Once again, it's not about ego. If somebody has experienced something first hand then yes, it makes them more knowledgable than somebody who has watched UFC countdown I'd say, on just how easy you can get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bloody hell lads.

Tell me, how do you change your training? Do you ask the other guy not to hit so hard as it might hurt too much?
    Once again, it's not about ego. If somebody has experienced something first hand then yes, it makes them more knowledgable than somebody who has watched UFC countdown I'd say, on just how easy you can get injured.

And there are a number of leading (mostly the fast emerging gyms) that are coming out against the old ways of training. Are they less knowledgeable than you too or because their opinion is the same as 'somebody who has watched UFC countdown' is it invalid?

Once again this is your 'experience' blinds you from how things could be done different. Look at your own quote as an example.
    He has to outwork everyone in the gym to maintain his no. 1 spot. Everyone biting at his heels. Plus the Brazilians are notorious for their gym wars doges bound to get injured.

Your mindset here is that work equals reward but fails to take into account overwork or working smarter. Some basics that are easy to change are giving your body appropriate recovery time and not getting involved in regular gym wars. If you want to move up a level you could incorporate scientific resistance methods to assess which of muscles are at higher risk at a given time and monitors to track recovery. Point me athletes in another high impact sport that believe pushing their body until its at breaking point on a long term basis is the best way to prepare for a one off competition.

That's not even going into the crazy stuff you hear from top tier UFC fighters, like never lifting weights with proper technique until they brought in a new trainer or never eating right until they brought in a dietitian, which all play a part in staving off injuries.

Aldo trains the way he trains because he's always had the parachute of pulling out of fights, which he's used more than he's kept in his bag. I haven't read one poster claim injuries won't happen but when you have gyms and fighters promoting what amazing wars they have in their gym and the same guys are consistently crocked it's simply idiotic.

• Advertisement

If your getting injured in sparring be more conservative as to the amount of time you spend sparing or wear pads or get your sparring partner to pull his strikes. If your consistently getting seriously injured before title fights its your responsibility to change what you do in traning if it's minor injuries you should fight through them to same way you would in any contact sport

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd say you'd have a higher injury rate doing mma training for six days than you would golfing training

You'd be surprised. Shoulder, back, and knee problems are quite common in golf. Take Tiger for example, his body is broken.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. Shoulder, back, and knee problems are quite common in golf. Take Tiger for example, his body is broken.

No I think that was his ex that did that

And there are a number of leading (mostly the fast emerging gyms) that are coming out against the old ways of training. Are they less knowledgeable than you too or because their opinion is the same as 'somebody who has watched UFC countdown' is it invalid?

Once again this is your 'experience' blinds you from how things could be done different. Look at your own quote as an example.

Your mindset here is that work equals reward but fails to take into account overwork or working smarter. Some basics that are easy to change are giving your body appropriate recovery time and not getting involved in regular gym wars. If you want to move up a level you could incorporate scientific resistance methods to assess which of muscles are at higher risk at a given time and monitors to track recovery. Point me athletes in another high impact sport that believe pushing their body until its at breaking point on a long term basis is the best way to prepare for a one off competition.

That's not even going into the crazy stuff you hear from top tier UFC fighters, like never lifting weights with proper technique until they brought in a new trainer or never eating right until they brought in a dietitian, which all play a part in staving off injuries.

Aldo trains the way he trains because he's always had the parachute of pulling out of fights, which he's used more than he's kept in his bag. I haven't read one poster claim injuries won't happen but when you have gyms and fighters promoting what amazing wars they have in their gym and the same guys are consistently crocked it's simply idiotic.

I'm not "old school" as such. I certainly don't believe in over training. I was talking from the perspective of how I think aldo trains and the reasons he trains so hard.

darced wrote: »

It is a tough sport no doubt and injuries will happen (in rugby the saying is that you're not a pro player until you go under the knife), it's the getting the balance between training hard and training too hard that is the key.

Ireland at the 07 Rugby World Cup got the training massively wrong where they were undercooked on the physical contact side of things and over cooked on the general fitness side of things and played terrible. One of our worst World Cups and we were going into it as a dark horse to win the thing.

Compare that to England in the 03 World Cup where they did little physical contact training through the tournament as it was all about maintenance.

It was actually one of the impressive things I heard from McGregor in one of his recent interviews that he was tailoring his training to train smart instead of training hard the whole time.

No I think that was his ex that did that

I think she definitely wanted too :pac:

A list of his injuries and surgeries is on the link below

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/complete-list-tiger-woods-injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stuxnet wrote: »
    No 'weigh' (Ill get my coat ! ) he'll make championship weight if he has to sit still for the next week - 10 days...?
    Sitting still won't effect making weight. He'll be cutting water, not pounding pavement to burn fat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There's been more Lawler/MacDonald promos on the Machida/Romero card tonight than there has been combined since their fight was announced.

Maybe just a coincidence and increased coverage was planned all along, but....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement