Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Paully D wrote: »
    There's been more Lawler/MacDonald promos on the Machida/Romero card tonight than there has been combined since their fight was announced.

Maybe just a coincidence and increased coverage was planned all along, but....

They have mentioned the McGregor fight plenty, sure they are doing an interview with him as well. They have to acknowledge the Lawler/MacDonald fight at some point..it is a title fight after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

JT26 wrote: »
    Wonder what the Irish media(looking at you RTE and certain senators) reaction will be if he wins at UFC 189

Enda will no doubt be in a pic with Conor in a headlock at some stage

JT26 wrote: »
    Wonder what the Irish media(looking at you RTE and certain senators) reaction will be if he wins at UFC 189

you mean the hangers on, in ties??? sure they're no different than the Sunday world pull out crowd who'll go back to reading Roy Keane and tiger woods books if he loses!!

Much as I hate the guy, first interview should go to tubridy as he had him on a few times and defended MMA quite well on the radio if memory serves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Rte should have bought the rights for this, or the highlights at least. If he beats Aldo it will be as big a moment as Italia 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Rte should have bought the rights for this, or the highlights at least. If he beats Aldo it will be as big a moment as Italia 90.

Hahaha. No it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Calm down mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not even close to Italia '90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can a poll be added to the thread just a simple 'Who do you think will win, Aldo or McGregor?' Around the webz, fighters and fans heavily favouring Aldo and I know we might be a bit biased here but would still be good to see the numbers.

EDIT: Scratch that, just saw the new 189 fight thread now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Can a poll be added to the thread just a simple 'Who do you think will win, Aldo or McGregor?' Around the webz, fighters and fans heavily favouring Aldo and I know we might be a bit biased here but would still be good to see the numbers.

EDIT: Scratch that, just saw the new 189 fight thread now :)

There's one for the thread Paully set up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057453892

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

Not even close to Italia '90.

Exactly not even close!! it will be bigger!!:):):):):):):):)

any1 got any tickets for sale by the way. 2 if possible. 2 of my mates have been let down with them ?

Why wouldn't it? Beating Romania goes down as 1 of the best moments in Irish sporting history but a man from a small island beating one of the best fighters ever in Ufc to become world champion wouldn't?

Look at the coverage and raving we do about Katie Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Look at the coverage and raving we do about Katie Taylor

This fight doesn't have anywhere near the public interest of Italia 90 don't be ridiculous. Asking your average middle aged woman who McGregor or Aldo are and they won't have a clue and if they do they probably think UFC is a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

No one gave a ****e about Katie Taylor till she won an Olympic medal which is far more mainstream & accepted by the general public as an achievement than a belt in the UFC will ever be

She won a medal the other day too, no one really cared

stephenl15 wrote:
    This fight doesn't have anywhere near the public interest of Italia 90 don't be ridiculous. Asking your average middle aged woman who McGregor or Aldo are and they won't have a clue and if they do they probably think UFC is a sport.

And why is this? Because RTE do f all to promote it besides a documentary a few months ago, yet we get the likes of Bernard Dunne,Andy Lee and Big Bang Casey becoming household names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Does anyone know when the Embedded series will start ?

And when the UFC Countdown will be on ?

Getting close now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

stephenl15 wrote: »

Aldo ran his socks off for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

As big as Italia 90...

<worldsbiggestrolleyes>

Ok I might be getting a small bit carried away, but this is a massive moment in Irish sport, the only reason it's not as popular as it could be is that people dont have access to it, Rte dont mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Lol. Not even on the same planet. Objectively speaking it's no more exciting than Bernard Dunne winning the world title in 2009 and will get less media coverage in the Irish press.

Pulse8 wrote:
    No one gave a ****e about Katie Taylor till she won an Olympic medal which is far more mainstream & accepted by the general public as an achievement than a belt in the UFC will ever be

Come off it, everyone knew about her before the Olympics unless you were living under a stone

Ian Whelan wrote:
    Lol. Not even on the same planet. Objectively speaking it's no more exciting than Bernard Dunne winning the world title in 2009 and will get less media coverage in the Irish press.

Isn't that my point? We'll give more coverage to very average boxers than McGregor. Outside of Ireland noboys knows who Dunne is

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Come off it, everyone knew about her before the Olympics unless you were living under a stone

They may have known the name from the odd glance in the paper but no one outside of boxing fans actually watched her fights or cared

You're makin a show of yourself by the way.....did you wear a suit to his last Dublin fight by any chance, accessorised with a beard?

What?

Making a show of myself, sharing my opinion, posting anonymously to a load of strangers? Oh im mortified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Isn't that my point? We'll give more coverage to very average boxers than McGregor. Outside of Ireland noboys knows who Dunne is

Bernard Dunne was not an average boxer. Anyway, that's not the point I was addressing, I was saying that McGregor beating Aldo won't be anywhere close to Italia '90........and it won't, 95% of the Irish population couldn't care less about it.

Ian Whelan wrote:
    Bernard Dunne was not an average boxer. Anyway, that's not the point I was addressing, I was saying that McGregor beating Aldo won't be anywhere close to Italia '90........and it won't, 95% of the Irish population couldn't care less about it.

Yeah as I said im probably getting a small bit carried away, but 95%? I know plenty of people who know nothing about UFC or sports in general who can't wait to see it. Bernard Dunne was a very, very average boxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Bernard Dunne in his peak was in the top 5% of boxers in his division that isn't average. 1 would guess the 200,000 Irish people would care about the fight, that is 4% of the population.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Bernard Dunne in his peak was in the top 5% of boxers in his division that isn't average. 1 would guess the 200,000 Irish people would care about the fight, that is 4% of the population.

Some serious idiots around here ... nobody outside of Ireland would know what the **** you were talking bout if you told them about "Italia 90", on the other hand This world Title fight, to become arguably the P4P best fighter on the planet , compared to getting to the last 8 of a cup.
    Who remebers the person who came 8th?
    Ok it was a big achievement for Ireland but , wont rank near as good as someone winning a world title.

Most people I know don't really care. Probably wouldn't recognise McGregor if they saw him.

Some serious idiots around here ... nobody outside of Ireland would know what the **** you were talking bout if you told them about "Italia 90", on the other hand This world Title fight, to become arguably the P4P best fighter on the planet , compared to getting to the last 8 of a cup.
    Who remebers the person who came 8th?
    Ok it was a big achievement for Ireland but , wont rank near as good as someone winning a world title.

It was about more than a tournament. It was a unique cultural landmark for Ireland. But if you need me to explain this to you...

how old are you and where are you from ?

how old are you and where are you from ?

105, The Skelligs.

Saipanne wrote: »
    105, The Skelligs.

Thought so... you sound it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah as I said im probably getting a small bit carried away, but 95%? I know plenty of people who know nothing about UFC or sports in general who can't wait to see it. Bernard Dunne was a very, very average boxer.

Wait until they find out that the fight is on at about 4am, you'll see their interest wane pretty sharpish.

I am not saying you are wrong or right however most Irish people don't care about UFC. I care alot I am heading out next week and for me it will be up there with some of our great sporting achievements should he win, however where I work I am the only person that gives a ****, they know its on but I would say none of them will see the fight until TV3 other channel shows it and even then that will be limited to a couple of them.

However don't call me an idiot I can see the bigger picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Omg the nit picking and pissing matches here are crazy.pages of bitching bout Italia 90

Thought so... you sound it

What was that, sonny?

Saipanne wrote: »
    What was that, sonny?

never mind Gramps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I am not saying you are wrong or right however most Irish people don't care about UFC. I care alot I am heading out next week and for me it will be up there with some of our great sporting achievements should he win, however where I work I am the only person that gives a ****, they know its on but I would say none of them will see the fight until TV3 other channel shows it and even then that will be limited to a couple of them.

However don't call me an idiot I can see the bigger picture

exactly the point I was trying to make. If the world cup was on, it would be the topic of conversation for every man and his dog. The achievment might well be up there but in terms of national interest, nowhere near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Some amount of tripe being posted in here lately. I want to remind everyone, this isn't Sherdog or a random Facebook thread where you can talk crap and abuse people. There is a certain standard of posting that should be met here. Knock off the bullshít and post in a civil, constructive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

Well funny enough my mother was chatting to me last night and the trailer came on for the fight and she was like thats that guy ewen mcgregor!!! she was on the right track :D . she is a 50 year old housewife so i think a good bit more that 5 percent know about this fight :)

• Advertisement

Lads what im trying to say is, Rte should be promoting the fight. We could have the best fighter in the world in his division and not a peep about it in the papers or on our National broadcaster. Yet we give hours of airtime to very average boxers, terrible footballers that aren't even Irish. If Connor wins, I guarantee there will be massive interest. The average joe would watch this only its on subscription tv at all hours of the morning

Ye keep saying that people don't have an interest, if they were told about, if it was hyped up and they could actually watch the fight then the interest would be huge.

I know Ireland played a polo match yesterday and Irish ladies u23 soccer team played some game, that doesn't mean crap. Anyway time to move on and talk about valuable things regarding this fight.

Maybe this thread should be killed, set up a serious thread here and another thread in after hours.

watch this only its on subscription tv

That's why RTE don't care. That and the general lack of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Aldos injury was covered in the news papers and radio and breakingnews.ie.I prefer less media attention less chance of spoilers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement