Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a telescope

Options
  • 31-01-2015 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all I'm considering buying my first telescope after a couple of months looking through binoculars. I've seen the shiny blur that is Saturn and seen Jupiter and 3 of its moons among other stars and constellations.

What I'm looking for now is detailed views. I'd like to see Jupiters bands and some colour and Id also like to see the rings of Saturn. I've had a good look around and quite like the omni xlt 127 from Celestron as its small and easy to manage, I figure it will get more use if it's less of chore to lug around.

I'd like to know if this telescope is suitable for looking at some planets with more detail and also maybe looking a bit further into space like some galaxys in the future. I like the idea of a smaller manageable scope but would like something that will last as I get more familiar with the sky and want I look a little deeper and maybe try some past time photography.

Am I going in the right direction with this scope?

Also can you recommend some sites that you would buy scopes from or even brick and mortar shops around dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlos144

Hi there,

Good to hear your're getting into astonomy. Its a great hobby lots to see and do. That's a good scope you are looking at, good optical tube designed to get some nice views of the planets. I have a 8" SCT myself and I am getting some really nice views/ images of the planets. The best option start with the planets, but have a decent amount of aperture to gather the light. This will help when going to view the DSO and the likes.

I got my telescope from the guys at Scopes and Space in swords, Dublin. Its the only shop around dedicated to astronomy and telescopes, cant go wrong. They were really helpful with me. Best thing was I was able to see and fell the weight of scope, see how portable and was able to have a good demo of the telescope. Spent nearly an hour chatting away. Like a kid in a candy shop.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

The xlt127 looks like a lot of kit for the money in scopes and space. But teleskop express have it for a good bit less. Minus delivery of course but still cheaper there
    http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1014_Celestron-Omni-127-XLT---127-1250mm-SC-telecope-on-CG4.html
    I've been looking around myself and that looks like a serious contender for planetary and deep sky observing.
    I'd love a huge dobsonian but the "Wife Approval Factor" would be small...

Advertisement