Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Quote from his website http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2016/09/07/199860558/tiger-to-start-2016-17-season-with-three-events/
    "My rehabilitation is to the point where I'm comfortable making plans, but I still have work to do," Tiger said. "Whether I can play depends on my continued progress and recovery. My hope is to have my game ready to go.

"I'm looking forward to going to California for my foundation event and Safeway. I'm also excited to return to Turkey and Albany. It could be a fun fall.

"It was difficult missing tournaments that are important to me, but this time I was smart about my recovery and didn't rush it. It was great spending time with my children Sam and Charlie, and also working on a lot of projects including golf-course design, the upcoming 20th anniversary of my foundation and my book about the 1997 Masters. But I missed competing. I want to thank all the fans for their kindness and concern. I've been a pro about 20 years, and their support has never waned."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hopefully this works out and he gets back to being competitive once again. Be great to see him competing against the best at the moment in day, DJ, Rory and speith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Hopefully this works out and he gets back to being competitive once again. Be great to see him competing against the best at the moment in day, DJ, Rory and speith.

And if he's not, I hope he finally f*cks off once and for all and leaves the world class able-bodied golfers to get on with it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    And if he's not, I hope he finally f*cks off once and for all and leaves the world class able-bodied golfers to get on with it...

Easy there Tiger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's give the Yanks something to cheer about after they get spanked in the Ryder Cup:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

That's frickin A1. Best news I have heard since June 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

ronnie3585 wrote:
    It's give the Yanks something to cheer about after they get spanked in the Ryder Cup

I thought he meant he was coming back this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I really hope it works out for him. Tiger in the mix would be fantastic. I'd be glued to the box again on a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

I really hope it works out for him. Tiger in the mix would be fantastic. I'd be glued to the box again on a Sunday night.
    I cant wait, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I hope he is back playing competitively, i don't want to see the cameras following a forlorn looking woods around the course as he plays terrible golf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

"When he drove the ball in the fairway, he was nearly unbeatable. That's what I kept trying to drive into him. But it didn't take." -- Butch Harmon

Through all the swing changes with Haney/Foley/Como he remained a brilliant iron player.
    But off the tee he has gotten worse.

If he is still slashing driver off the tee I think it will be a sad end to his playing career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

Whether he is playing from the trees or the fairway, whether you love him or loathe him, Tiger will always be box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

luvthegame wrote: »
    "When he drove the ball in the fairway, he was nearly unbeatable. That's what I kept trying to drive into him. But it didn't take." -- Butch Harmon

Through all the swing changes with Haney/Foley/Como he remained a brilliant iron player.

If he is still slashing driver off the tee I think it will be a sad end to his playing career.

It's true. I think I did hear him talking a little bit that way for the first time earlier in the year. If he's on the fairway he's probably break even against most guys if he had to take 3 clubs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can't wait to see him again. Hope it's not another false dawn. If he gets another injury then it's the last we'll see of Tiger.

I really want to see him get up towards Nicklaus because that is where Tiger should be in the pantheon of greats.

same

I remember watching PGA Tour events every Sunday night just to see Tiger.

Now? Couldn't be arsed.

That 7 win streak was sensational.

WHIP IT! wrote: »

why the venom?

luvthegame wrote: »

I seem to remember him being all right from the trees too. :D In fact, most of my favourite Tiger memories are like below

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/773808112662818816

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Golf is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Amusing to see the Tiger fanatics scrambling for the crumbs like the ducks in Stephens Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Getting ready for the "The Tiger of old wouldn't have done that" comments from Bruce Critchley, Rob Lee and co constantly. . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

First Up wrote: »
    Amusing to see the Tiger fanatics scrambling for the crumbs like the ducks in Stephens Green.

That does sound amusing, where can I see that?

Quack Quack - Golf is back baby!!

Ormus wrote:
    That does sound amusing, where can I see that?

Stick around

Domo1982 wrote:
    Quack Quack - Golf is back baby!!

You are an advertisers dream.

You are an advertisers dream.

there's definitely bigger things in life to have a bee in your bonnet about

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Enough of the petty bickering and trolls be warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Seems like a strange viewpoint. Tiger has always been riveting viewing, but he never seemed to get much love, even before his marital problems, certainly not on this side of the water.

Oft respected, never loved, now a mere curiosity.

Domo1982 wrote:
    Anyway you look at it Tiger returning is a positive thing for golf. Initially at least until we see how he goes.

If he is competitive and adds some spice to events then no problem.

The stuff I don't look forward to is theTV hype and coverage of every shot even if miles off the pace. I'm not crazy about the hats on backwards "go Tiger" galleries either.

I still remember the time he withdrew in mid round and TV covered his clubs being loaded into his car, while the lead was changing hands out on the course. The sad part is that a good chunk of the TV audience wanted it that way.

If he is competitive and adds some spice to events then no problem.

The stuff I don't look forward to is theTV hype and coverage of every shot even if miles off the pace. I'm not crazy about the hats on backwards "go Tiger" galleries either.

I still remember the time he withdrew in mid round and TV covered his clubs being loaded into his car, while the lead was changing hands out on the course. The sad part is that a good chunk of the TV audience wanted it that way.

Agreed

• Advertisement

I'd have thought a thread titled "Conflicted about Tiger" provided scope for different views about him.

It sure does but being condescending towards people who do look forward to seeing him play again doesn't involve being critical or conflicted about Tiger.

Here are some more ducks for you...

https://twitter.com/thomasbjorngolf/status/773582298973372420
    https://twitter.com/garyplayer/status/773664476490899457
    https://twitter.com/jacknicklaus/status/773574908676759552
    https://twitter.com/ShaneLowryGolf/status/773617706851561472
    https://twitter.com/plarrazabal/status/773596215875366912

Rory McIlroy - "I think you miss the buzz that he creates at tournaments. Tiger brings an aura and an atmosphere to a tournament that no one else in golf can bring. Hopefully he can stay healthy for a prolonged period of time and give it one last go."

Advertisement