Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HighLine wrote:
    Here are some more ducks for you...

No question he brought a lot of money into the game so its hardly a surprise that those who stand to profit from it are happy to see him back.

My objection is to those who dismiss everything and everyone else in the game. Good for advertisers but not a lot of use to the game itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Plenty of good golf being shown again tonight without the added hype. Personally I'd sooner look at the likes of Castro shoot the lights out rather than look at TW'S new insole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Golf today wouldn't be what it is only for Tiger. Price money, coverage, general interest, everything really. Some players wouldn't be playing only for him I'm sure. What makes a 6 year old taking up some sport, think about it? He owes golf and golf owes him.

I understand that some don't like him. We all like different people and different traits and thats fair enough. But its like saying soccer is better without Messi and Ronaldo. Again fair enough if people don't like them but better, really?

As for the hype argument, well, I actually agree with it. When they were showing Tiger who clearly couldn't play to tour standard in the car park rather than golf being played. That was just ridiculous and he thought so himself. But they're showing what they think is selling I guess. He's not hyping himself, its others doing it for him.

I understand that some don't like him. We all like different people and different traits and thats fair enough. But its like saying soccer is better without Messi and Ronaldo. Again fair enough if people don't like them but better, really?

Messi and Ronaldo's fans don't get to interfere with how their opponents play, nor do they get favourable rulings from referees, or get match venues changed to places they prefer.

Tiger brought a lot to the game and much of it won't be missed when he goes and takes it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

lawred2 wrote:
    why the venom?

What venom?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Relax lads

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

First Up wrote: »
    Messi and Ronaldo's fans don't get to interfere with how their opponents play, nor do they get favourable rulings from referees, or get match venues changed to places they prefer.

Tiger brought a lot to the game and much of it won't be missed when he goes and takes it with him.

That's a dreadful petty post First up.

The good stuff with Tiger far outweighs the bad.

We get you're not a fan but be reasonable please

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Golf today wouldn't be what it is only for Tiger.

:eek:

Domo1982 wrote:
    We get you're not a fan but be reasonable please

Try marshalling at a tournamemt with him in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Run this though experiment :

- you are tuning into the first round of next years Masters, and see on the leaderboard that McIlroy is 14 under after 17 holes
    - coverage is of the first hole where Tiger is due to tee up
    - Bruce Critchley explains that this channel will be staying with the first tee to give uninterrupted coverage of Tiger playing the first hole. But Rors playing his second to the 18th and finishing out is on the Red button.

Do you press it ?

We all know the answer. Faced with a choice of Tiger pulling on his glove, teeing up the ball, and taking a few practice swishes you know you wouldnt change. This is where the fascination is. In fact, for all you, and any other golf fans will ever know, there may not even be a red button feed and Bruce was just spoofing, knowing no one was going to check it anyway, history making 57 round from Rors or not. Tiger is IT. The Man. The Greatest. He Just Did It. The man who brought the world Tigerproofing.
    And thats what you would watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Red button all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

- you are tuning into the first round of next years Masters, and see on the leaderboard that McIlroy is 14 under after 17 holes
    - Bruce Critchley explains that this channel will be staying with the first tee to give uninterrupted coverage of Tiger playing the first hole. But Rors playing his second to the 18th and finishing out is on the Red button.

Do you press it ?

We all know the answer. Faced with a choice of Tiger pulling on his glove, teeing up the ball, and taking a few practice swishes you know you wouldnt change. This is where the fascination is. In fact, for all you, and any other golf fans will ever know, there may not even be a red button feed and Bruce was just spoofing, knowing no one was going to check it anyway, history making 57 round from Rors or not. Tiger is IT. The Man. The Greatest. He Just Did It. The man who brought the world Tigerproofing.

Red button, Tiger has been finished for at least 3 years now. And that's said as someone who admires Tiger more than Rors.

There's no fascination with Tiger anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

PARlance wrote: »
    Red button, Tiger has been finished for at least 3 years now. And that's said as someone who admires Tiger more than Rors.

There's no fascination with Tiger anymore.

I think you are wrong there, his decline is almost as fascinating as his rise. As someone old enough to remember watching Seve in his pomp, it was sad to watch his decline, he fought but ultimately accepted his failing ability and gave in to it. What is fascinating about Woods is that he is still utterly convinced that he can make it back to the top. He keeps getting back up to try again, which is admirable in many ways. It's just that, it's hard to root for him on both a sporting and personal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

davo10 wrote: »
    I think you are wrong there, his decline is almost as fascinating as his rise. As someone old enough to remember watching Seve in his pomp, it was sad to watch his decline, he fought but ultimately accepted his failing ability and gave in to it. What is fascinating about Woods is that he is still utterly convinced that he can make it back to the top. He keeps getting back up to try again, which is admirable in many ways. It's just that, it's hard to root for him on both a sporting and personal level.

Well, it's all opinion but I don't find anything fascinating about it at all. This "return" has been dragged out for 2-3 years at this stage and I've been fairly sure it won't happen all that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Record the live TV, and watch the red button ffs

PARlance wrote: »
    Well, it's all opinion but I don't find anything fascinating about it at all. This "return" has been dragged out for 2-3 years at this stage and I've been fairly sure it won't happen all that time.

That's the thing, everyone is "fairly sure" it won't happen, but we watch because like him or loath him, he arguably is the best person to ever hold a golf club, and he is still only 41, so there is a chance he could do it. For me that's the fascinating bit, will he overcome the injuries and the loss of form? Probably not, but I want to watch him try.

By the way, he was a ball hitting the flag and spinning back into the water, away from genuinely contending for the Masters in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

That's the thing, everyone is "fairly sure" it won't happen, but we watch because like him or loath him, he arguably is the best person to ever hold a golf club, and he is still only 41, so there is a chance he could do it. For me that's the fascinating bit, will he overcome the injuries and the loss of form? Probably not, but I want to watch him try.

Just like Rocky 6 :D

HighLine wrote: »
    Just like Rocky 6 :D

I think Tiger would be stumped for the "yo Adrianne, I love you" moment, the list of lovers would take hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I think Tiger would be stumped for the "yo Adrianne, I love you" moment, the list of lovers would take hours.

5PE6njU.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Martin567

Do you press it ?

What a load of tripe!

Speak for yourself and watch whatever you want. Just don't tell anyone else what they would do. I watched professional golf long before Tiger came along and I will continue to do so long after he officially retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dtoffee wrote: »
    :eek:

It sounds a bit big, I know. But I didn't mean he changed the game of golf itself. What I mean is the professional game, PGA Tour in particular. He raised prize funds, he raised the standard of the game. He brought watching golf to the masses both on the course and on the box. Like really big players before him he brought the professional game to the next level. Or at least he had a very very big part in it.

He is the first billion dollar sports man. At some point he won every second week. I think its fair to say he was a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

By the time the red button would respond and give me the other feed Rory would be in the clubhouse anyway so I'd stick with the live feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger maybe to play with Phil on Thursday. Will be interesting to see the viewing figures for a usually nothing tournament (higher than some majors this year?) which will most likely see TW with a missed cut.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/17757012/phil-mickelson-play-tiger-woods-return-pga-tour

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I couldn't be bothered watching Tiger Woods. His day has passed and he's not a good guy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I couldn't be bothered watching Tiger Woods. His day has passed and he's not a good guy either.

If tiger comes back and plays crap he will be a distraction. The cameras will follow a pissed off looking tiger around the course.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Letree wrote: »
    If tiger comes back and plays crap he will be a distraction. The cameras will follow a pissed off looking tiger around the course.

Who cares? I won't be watching for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It really looks like you care though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Really looking forward to this, far and away the best golfer I've seen and hoping he plays well and builds from here on...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Its the sporting and TV event of the year.

Need to check in for a flight, pay bills on line, or actually do something important on the www this week ? Do it before Thursday - the Internet is expected to break with people watching Tont go. Not sure there has been such a big moment in golf since the Masters in '01.

Advertisement