Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Solid, if unspectacular round from him in the pro-am today;

https://twitter.com/GCTigerTracker/status/804028481499758597

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Solid, if unspectacular round from him in the pro-am today;

https://twitter.com/GCTigerTracker/status/804028481499758597

Any yips or shanks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Any yips or shanks?

Wether you like him or not you can't deny the massive pressure on him. Always was and still is, just on a different level.

Just imagine playing under that pressure :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any yips or shanks?

No reports of anything like that. Seemed like a decent round all things considered, he was pretty upbeat in the press conference afterwards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wether you like him or not you can't deny the massive pressure on him. Always was and still is, just on a different level.

Just imagine playing under that pressure :eek:

He's on a hiding to nothing, Play badly and he can blame an injury, or perhaps an old flame?

I hope he flops frankly. He's not a good guy at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

He's on a hiding to nothing, Play badly and he can blame an injury, or perhaps an old flame?

Sounds like you have more of an interest in his character off the course rather than on.

Will be interesting to see the viewing figures for this week's event after it is finished. I'm guessing it might be quite high.

I just think he's done. Move over and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't know what kind of guy he is. Maybe he isn't such a great guy, maybe he is alright enough, he certainly is/was a great player. Bit like Maradona. Hate him for all the sh1te and the drugs and what, but he's still bloody Maradona.

I always liked him as a player and now that a lot of people would like to see him fail makes me kinda root for him. He's the underdog now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

A lot of people disliked Tiger for his on course rather than off course character

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I just think he's done. Move over and move on.

Why should he? He is the greatest player to ever play the game, he can move over and move in his own time. Its not his fault the media create a circus for every event he plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

He is one of the greatest players to ever play the game.
    FYI :D:D

Ahh no, but seriously he's as entitled to play or not play as he sees fit IMO.
    I've never been a fan (and I don't care either way about his off course stuff), but I can still acknowledge his greatness. I certainly don't want to see him flanking it around like a 5 handicapper, although I think I'd take that over snarling and spitting. I wouldn't hold out much hope of seeing anyone else hit shots on the TV coverage though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Reset the clock guys..remove the asterisk..Golf starts again today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

He's the best all round golfer i have ever seen, either on Tv or in the flesh. He inspired me to keep trying to get better and better.How many Tiger moments can we all remember throughout the years. Personally, i find him alot more likeable than Mcilroy or Spieth. People spoke about what Arnie did for a generation of golfers, it's because of Tiger, even journey men are multi millionaires now. The guy deserves nothing but respect for his golfing achievements. at 40, he is hardly over the hill either i just hope his back holds up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why on earth are you making it personal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Not really a fan, saw him at his worst ignoring kids who had stood waiting for him at the K Club (Ryder Cup) only for him to pull thae cap down and ignore them all. That says it all about his character. So if I'm honest I hope he crashes and burns. Some of the wankfest on social media over his return has been comical viewing though.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why on earth are you making it personal?

I'm not.

People have their favourite players which is fair enough. I've read enough about Woods to conclude that he isn't a good guy. Cursing and spitting on the course, and his conduct off it was pretty grim too.

He was at one point pretty dominant, but I have doubts about what enabled that too.

I just don't like the guy. I hope that's ok with you.

I'm not.

People have their favourite players which is fair enough. I've read enough about Woods to conclude that he isn't a good guy. Cursing and spitting on the course, and his conduct off it was pretty grim too.

He was at one point pretty dominant, but I have doubts about what enabled that too.

You are.

Everything you just posted are personal dislikes or baseless suspicions that have nothing to do with him as a sportsperson.

But yeah feel free to carry on not liking him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm not.

His ridiculous ability with a golf club in his hand, that's what enabled his dominance.

bren2001 wrote: »
    His ridiculous ability with a golf club in his hand, that's what enabled his dominance.

obviously he thinks he was a cheating drug taker

lawred2 wrote: »
    obviously he thinks he was a cheating drug taker

But its not personal:rolleyes:....Tells you more about the poster than Tiger.

Horrible stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm not.

There is no place on Boards for speculation so kindly don't post that sort of stuff again unless you are willing to back it up with cold hard facts and not because you read it on another forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Domo1982 wrote: »
    But its not personal:rolleyes:....Tells you more about the poster than Tiger.

Horrible stuff

It's pathetic.

Tiger Woods was a phenomenon. We won't see his like again. Players of today can't even stay on top for more than a few months, he did it for yrs & yrs.

Time & time again he hit shots/holed putts when it HAD to be done. So many incredible Sunday nights. When I started playing there was no Tiger. I was slagged for playing an auld fart's game by my mates. Now they all play because he made it so exciting.

'Oh but he didn't say hello to the kids when he walked off the course' lol

Tiger Wood's foundation has done more for kids than any other sport person's charity, I'd wager. But no one talks about that.

Tilikum wrote: »
    It's pathetic.

Tiger Woods was a phenomenon. We won't see his like again. Players of today can't even stay on top for more than a few months, he did it for yrs & yrs.

Time & time again he hit shots/holed putts when it HAD to be done. So many incredible Sunday nights. When I started playing there was no Tiger. I was slagged for playing an auld fart's game by my mates. Now they all play because he made it so exciting.

Tiger Wood's foundation has done more for kids than another sport person's charity, I wager. But no talks about that.

He's no Jack though.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    He's no Jack though.

Here we go.......Lets drag all the classics up

Harrington would have no majors if Woods didn't get injured.:rolleyes:

Who cares!!...Lets enjoy having him back people

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Whatever people think about Tigers dominance being related to drugs etc.
    One thing is clear, his dominance, coupled with his lifestyle behind closed doors, was all very high ego stuff.
    Once hed been caught, the ego took a big battering, and hense his game went also.

i do think when he was "in the saddle" so to speak, his ego was so big it fed into his golf and he was genuinely untouchable.

It was mid round and kids had waited for over two hours, funny that every other player was able to recognise that and high 5 them, not Woods though, he was so far up his own hole he chose to ignore them. That is the Woods though, I'm not questioning his ability with a stick in his paw, just his character, which is questionable to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

ArielAtom wrote: »
    He's no Jack though.

Jack played in completely different era. If he had to deal with half the media/sponsorships **** Tiger did he wouldn't have 18 majors imo.

He said himself it was harder to win majors in Tiger's time, and harder still now.

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Here we go.......Lets drag all the classics up

Harrington would have no majors if Woods didn't get injured.:rolleyes:

Who cares!!...Lets enjoy having him back people

Who gives a fcuk, Woods was Woods, Jack was better IMHO.

PH, IS A LEGEND.

Tilikum wrote: »
    Jack played in completely different era. If he had to deal with half the media/sponsorships **** Tiger did he wouldn't have 18 majors imo.

He said himself it was harder to win majors in Tiger's time, and harder still now.

So you are now making excuses. IMHO Jack was better, it's just an opinion. FWIW Seve was my fav and i'd pay to see him before Woods or Jack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It'll be interesting to see how his driving is after ditching the nike driver,
    i was never a fan of nike clubs personally, but especially the woods.
    As an amateur i found his comments about his ball very interesting aswell, saying that was more
    vital than the clubs

Advertisement