Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So you are now making excuses. IMHO Jack was better, it's just an opinion. FWIW Seve was my fav and i'd pay to see him before Woods or Jack.

I loved Seve too, But he was the worst at gamesmanship in the world and was far grumpier than Tiger ever was on the course.
    Who cares who was nicer or better, it's apples and oranges.Different times and different equipment. He's back that's all that matter it's good for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

'Oh but he didn't say hello to the kids when he walked off the course' lol

It was mid round and kids had waited for over two hours, funny that every other player was able to recognise that and high 5 them, not Woods though, he was so far up his own hole he chose to ignore them. That is the Woods though, I'm not questioning his ability with a stick in his paw, just his character, which is questionable to say the least.

I couldn't give a toss if it was before, during or after the round. Christ, your making your judgement entirely on one occasion. Maybe he had a bad hole. You'd swear he was the only player to do it lol.

Do a bit of reading about how much time/money he has giving to his foundation, then judge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I loved Seve too, But he was the worst at gamesmanship in the world and was far grumpier than Tiger ever was on the course.
    Who cares who was nicer or better, it's apples and oranges.Different times and different equipment. He's back that's all that matter it's good for the game.

Gamesmanship was not what I was talking about, bieng a D"£$ head was though. As I have posted previously I hope he fails. It's just my opinion, and as they say there liks AH's everyone has one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd absolutely love if came back and won a major, would be even sweeter with so many wanting him to fail.

• Advertisement

So you are now making excuses. IMHO Jack was better, it's just an opinion. FWIW Seve was my fav and i'd pay to see him before Woods or Jack.

That's funny because I couldn't stand Seve. Always trying to put people off. Coughing in their back swings. Even during Darren Clarke first win as a young lad on tour.....Seve was at it.

But hey......whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's the requirements for getting into the hero world challenge?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tilikum wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss if it was before, during or after the round. Christ, your making your judgement entirely on one occasion. Maybe he had a bad hole. You'd swear he was the only player to do it lol.

Do a bit of reading about how much time/money he has giving to his foundation, then judge him.

My judgement is made from a personnel experience, observering him being an egotistical twat. Great his foundation does great work, if we were to drag his morals into this the a clusterfcuk would ensue!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny because I couldn't stand Seve. Always trying to put people off. Coughing in their back swings. Even during Darren Clarke first win as a young lad on tour.....Seve was it.

But hey......whatever floats your boat.

but he had charisma, he charmed people, unlike Woods, he generates what we are seeing here now. Hopefully he fails and retires. Personnel opinion and all!!!!!

I did mention the wankfest on social media, the Tigger lovers are out in force here, ya gotta love the mutual thanking of posts. I am sitting in an airport lounge and this is keeping me amused while waiting for my flight BTW. Thanks peeps.

• Advertisement

I did mention the wankfest on social media, the Tigger lovers are out in force here, ya gotta love the mutual thanking of posts. I am sitting in an airport lounge and this is keeping me amused while waiting for my flight BTW. Thanks peeps.

My friend, you are in a small minority of people hoping he fails. It says more about you than any insult I could post. He is the most popular golfer in the history of the sport. The Tv ratings tonight will probably be higher than the Ryder cup because of one man. And he's a living legend of the sport.

Whether he comes last or wins Sunday night, it will make zero difference to my life. I'm just happy to see him on the course again, because golf has been dying on it's arse without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

My friend, you are in a small minority of people hoping he fails. It says more about you than any insult I could post. He is the most Successful popular golfer in the history of the sport. The Tv ratings tonight will probably be higher than the Ryder cup because of one man. And he's a living legend of the sport.

Whether he comes last or wins Sunday night, it will make zero difference to my life. I'm just happy to see him on the course again, because golf has been dying on it's arse without him.

Fixed your post there......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

My friend, you are in a small minority of people hoping he fails. It says more about you than any insult I could post. He is the most popular golfer in the history of the sport. The Tv ratings tonight will probably be higher than the Ryder cup because of one man. And he's a living legend of the sport.

There was golf before and there will be golf after Tiger. Great as he was, personally I find some of the top players of today far more enjoyable to watch, give me Rory any day of the week over TW to watch for 18 holes. Although even back in the day I'd have taken Els or Goosen to watch ahead of Tiger anyway.

I don't like him but I hope he's healthy and is able to play and be competitive for as many more years as he wants. Doesn't mean I'll support him (unless he's playing someone like Willett or Hatton !!:D)

As an aside, is it true there's ranking points for this event ? Ridiculous if that's the case IMHO.

There is. It just shows what a load of **** the world ranking system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's a reasonably good system, it's an almost impossible measurement.

Ranking points for this though given the field size and time of year is a bit ridiculous, but without them nobody would play.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Is it a direct flight to Bittersville or is there a connection at Trollsberg ?

Fixed your post there......

Good one. Only thing is that he's unquestionably, by a million miles the most popular golfer ever.

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Good one. Only thing is that he's unquestionably, by a million miles the most popular golfer ever.

Fame does not equal popularity.
    Success does not increase popularity.

In USA, the biggest demographic we have, Phil is much more popular.

Fame does not equal popularity.
    Success does not increase popularity.

In USA, the biggest demographic we have, Phil is much more popular.

lol...Where to start. Explain why USA is the biggest demographic?

I'm astounded that you can say that PM is a more popular golfer. Its so off the charts incorrect that its embarassing

I'm astounded that you can say that PM is a more popular golfer. Its so off the charts incorrect that its embarassing

I totally agree, If Phil was so popular how come his sponsorship deals were never anywhere near Tigers, even down to the ea sports games.
    Both exciting golfers though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Is it a direct flight to Bittersville or is there a connection at Trollsberg ?
    Leave the modding to us. Next time report a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I totally agree, If Phil was so popular how come his sponsorship deals were never anywhere near Tigers, even down to the ea sports games.
    Both exciting golfers though

Because people wanted to be the golfer Tiger is/was, but they loved Phil.

Outside of the fact that they routed for him as an American and appreciated his greatness, I never felt Tiger was really loved by the fans.

Also, bear in mind that Tigers deals were long-term deals signed mostly at the very beginning of his career, and that emulation and popularity as separate concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

what time does the circus tee off at?

USA = Biggest golf market worldwide.

Its laughable you think Tiger is a national hero in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i dont get the bitterness people have towards tiger. he is the best golfer by a large margin in this generation. i get people dont like him hell which is fair enough. i dont like rory but im not hoping he fails.

hes one of the main reasons why we get to watch golf so much and the coverage we have. without tigers popularity golf wouldn't have to the popularity it has now.

honestly does it matter ! Love him or loathe him we're all talking about golf because he's back,
    for me, that's good for the game. I agree with the point above it'll be a circus for the first round but it'll die down and then we can all enjoy it. Imagine one of the new leading lights up against Tiger on a sunday in a major, It would be great

Lets not forget another thing.

Nike got into golf as an equipment giant, on the back of Tiger being the greatest of all time(i dont argue this)
    Nike have now pulled out of the equipment market completely, a lot of this is down to Tiger falling off the face of the game, his popularity greatly reducing and a tough market.

When he buys the controlling share in Taylormade it'll be interesting to see where they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sky88 wrote: »
    i dont get the bitterness people have towards tiger. he is the best golfer by a large margin in this generation. i get people dont like him hell which is fair enough. i dont like rory but im not hoping he fails.

hes one of the main reasons why we get to watch golf so much and the coverage we have. without tigers popularity golf wouldn't have to the popularity it has now.

Golf was pretty popular (among golfers) before Tiger and has continued to be popular in his absence. No question he brought new people to the game but other than boosting advertising revenue and further enriching some tour pro's, I am not convinced it has added much to the wider game - club membership has declined in both the US and Europe.

It is also undeniable that many of the "fans" he brought to the game leave a lot to be desired in terms of behaviour. The media don't talk about it (for obvious reasons) but some of the stuff I've witnessed at events in the US was nothing short of disgraceful. If those "fans" depart golf when he does, I will regret neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

honestly does it matter ! Love him or loathe him we're all talking about golf because he's back,
    for me, that's good for the game. I agree with the point above it'll be a circus for the first round but it'll die down and then we can all enjoy it. Imagine one of the new leading lights up against Tiger on a sunday in a major, It would be great

You're right, it doesn't really matter.
    I'm genuinely struggling to see him get into contention on Sunday at a major though. Possibly he might back into another masters or maybe the next time they're at St Andrews where you can hit it sideways and get away with it. But I still think the new crop are just too good for him off the tee (yes I know it's ultimately about putting).
    If he can adapt his game and realise he's not 22 anymore and doesn't have to keep up with the bombers, then maybe, but I suspect the ego might not allow that.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    You're right, it doesn't really matter.
    I'm genuinely struggling to see him get into contention on Sunday at a major though. Possibly he might back into another masters or maybe the next time they're at St Andrews where you can hit it sideways and get away with it. But I still think the new crop are just too good for him off the tee (yes I know it's ultimately about putting).
    If he can adapt his game and realise he's not 22 anymore and doesn't have to keep up with the bombers, then maybe, but I suspect the ego might not allow that.

and you could be right Russman, but that's the beauty of it, noone really knows it'll be exciting to watch. he did bomb a few down the fairway yesterday and can easily still hit 300 yards so that's plenty. The new driver makes it even more interesting. I don't expect much for a few months and i wonder how many events he will actually play, but really for the overall game i think it's great he's back i just hope his back holds up.

Advertisement