Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Senna wrote: »
    As much as I want to see the best golf being shown in the coverage, I still can't resist watching every shot of woods. As long as he isn't down at +10 and they still keep focus on him, then I'm OK with it.

And jesus the golf channel is brutal for adverts.

I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with that - it's the constant footage of him doing stuff other than hit golf shots (walking, standing, leaning, frowning, drinking) that drives people mad - when there is other top golfers out there, ye know, hitting golf shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭golfer79

As much as I want to see the best golf being shown in the coverage, I still can't resist watching every shot of woods. As long as he isn't down at +10 and they still keep focus on him, then I'm OK with it.

And jesus the golf channel is brutal for adverts.

Is it possible to watch the golf channel live on tv from Ireland? Wouldn't want to miss that boat. Or perhaps you are abroad ... Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

golfer79 wrote: »
    Is it possible to watch the golf channel live on tv from Ireland? Wouldn't want to miss that boat. Or perhaps you are abroad ... Thanks in advance.

Anythings possible, if it's legal, that's another question. Don't think I can say on here how to watch it, but Google answers all questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭golfer79

Anythings possible, if it's legal, that's another question. Don't think I can say on here how to watch it, but Google answers all questions.

Fair enough. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well that was one frickin awesome day. Doesnt really matter what happens over the next few rounds - HE IS BACK !
    Itching for the 2017 seaon to get under way now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Another poor drive into water
    Tiger is becoming Tigger as his round further implodes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I guess after non competitive golf in so long it's understandable that the round fell apart. Happens to so many when they only take a few months off

Three sixes on back nine, horrible stuff.
    17th in 18 man field welcome back Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

mafc wrote: »
    Three sixes on back nine, horrible stuff.
    17th in 18 man field welcome back Tiger.

He still made it into the top 20 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Well that was one frickin awesome day. Doesnt really matter what happens over the next few rounds - HE IS BACK ! Itching for the 2017 seaon to get under way now.

How does one put another poster on ignore on the touch site anyone know?

Can such drivel be filtered permanently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

How does one put another poster on ignore on the touch site anyone know?

Can such drivel be filtered permanently?

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type my name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

Alternatively, you can click on my username to go to my profile page. Then click on User Lists and then Add to Ignore List.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

73 - cool the euphoria.

He's going to have good days, he's going to have bad days. If he can finish middle of the pack this week it will have to be seen as progress. It's all gearing towards next season anyway, this is merely filler, the real tests will be from January, probably February onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A few leftish drives that cost him and short game has flashes but overall still a bit rusty. Irons are pretty good.
    But the swing looks good, the back seems fine and to me he looks like a golfer who's coming from a long break, not like a finished golfer.
    Which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Keano wrote: »
    Enough trolling. Either add to the thread or stop posting in it. You will not be getting another warning.

How is that trolling? its my opinion of what I see taking place (and as it turns out I was correct, he was unraveling and shot at least 3 shots more than he should have and a Tiger in his prime would have shot 7 or 8 shots less, if you disagree with it, fair enough, counter it with your opinion, instead of getting on your high horse and trying to censor it.
    FYI Warnings come in Bold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

For his first round in 16 months after a couple of back operations, that can only be seen as a huge success for Tiger,
    I'd say the viewing figures were through the roof.
    He is obviously going to be inconsistent for a few months but that was so good to watch, and to see the excitement in his face after was great. I just hope for him, and for golf his back holds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Martin567 wrote: »
    It won't be exciting if we're watching every shot Tiger plays while struggling to make cuts at the expense of those players at the top of the leaderboard.

That won't be exciting at all.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself here, a 14 time major champion is back after a 16 month break, of course his first tournament is going to be a circus.It will die down and get back to showing the leaders after a short time as that is what the audience wants.I could be wrong but i'd say Tiger would enjoy the camers off him too until he finds his feet

How is that trolling? its my opinion of what I see taking place (and as it turns out I was correct, he was unraveling and shot at least 3 shots more than he should have and a Tiger in his prime would have shot 7 or 8 shots less, if you disagree with it, fair enough, counter it with your opinion, instead of getting on your high horse and trying to censor it.
    FYI Warnings come in Bold

This place is fast becoming a joke if your opinions don't meet with the click.
    Public forum lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You'd have thought a thread with the word Conflicted in the title could accomodate different opinions.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Not really a fan, saw him at his worst ignoring kids who had stood waiting for him at the K Club (Ryder Cup) only for him to pull thae cap down and ignore them all. That says it all about his character. So if I'm honest I hope he crashes and burns. Some of the wankfest on social media over his return has been comical viewing though.

Agreed, watching on Sky Sports last night and some of the pundits were creaming themselves about Tiger.

First Up wrote: »
    You'd have thought a thread with the word Conflicted in the title could accomodate different opinions.

Ah yeah, but everything in moderation :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

AnneFrank wrote: »
    For his first round in 16 months after a couple of back operations, that can only be seen as a huge success for Tiger,
    I'd say the viewing figures were through the roof.
    He is obviously going to be inconsistent for a few months but that was so good to watch, and to see the excitement in his face after was great. I just hope for him, and for golf his back holds up.

That would be pretty much my sentiment.

Not a bad at the office for him - the very odd flash that suggests there's potential for better performances over the next few months, and the odd shot that needs tidying up if he really is going to deliver something to justify his place on the Tour over the next few months!

Overall, I'd say his abiding mood is relief......played 18 holes of moderately competitive golf without - hopefully - tweaking any of the old injuries or without any spectacular cock-ups.

I'm guessing he'd more than settle for a few months of regular competition and anonymous, mid-leaderboard mediocrity while he develops a better assessment of his competitive game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

mafc wrote: »
    Agreed, watching on Sky Sports last night and some of the pundits were creaming themselves about Tiger.

He is the greatest (or at the very least, 2nd greatest) golfer of all time, returning at the age of 41 after taking over a year out of the game to let his body properly recover (which is the first time he has properly tried to recover from his injuries). Is it not understandable that everyone is "creaming themselves"?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bren2001 wrote: »
    He is the greatest (or at the very least, 2nd greatest) golfer of all time, returning at the age of 41 after taking over a year out of the game to let his body properly recover (which is the first time he has properly tried to recover from his injuries). Is it not understandable that everyone is "creaming themselves"?

Not really.

He was a great player, but isn't currently, and might never be again. His return would have been very carefully managed, and he'd have been 100% ready in every way.

I watched it last night and was underwhelmed.

Not really.

He was a great player, but isn't currently, and might never be again. His return would have been very carefully managed, and he'd have been 100% ready in every way.

I watched it last night and was underwhelmed.

If you expected the Tiger of old to turn up, rip up the course and blow the competition away, you're expectations were too high. I have not talked to anyone who expected anything other than dead last. I got the exact performance that could be expected of any golfer after such a long lay off. Its really hard to see how you were underwhelmed.

However, having one of the all time greats back in a sport is always exciting. He's 41 and has the potential to contend for majors. Will he? Nobody knows. If his body holds up and he can practice whenever he wants, its hard not to see him mounting a challenge at some point. Its hard to see his body holding up though.

For most, watching Tiger will be one of the most interesting aspects of the season. Hence, people are "creaming themselves". Seems perfectly understandable to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you expected the Tiger of old to turn up, rip up the course and blow the competition away, you're expectations were too high. I have not talked to anyone who expected anything other than dead last. I got the exact performance that could be expected of any golfer after such a long lay off. Its really hard to see how you were underwhelmed.

However, having one of the all time greats back in a sport is always exciting. He's 41 and has the potential to contend for majors. Will he? Nobody knows. If his body holds up and he can practice whenever he wants, its hard not to see him mounting a challenge at some point. Its hard to see his body holding up though.

For most, watching Tiger will be one of the most interesting aspects of the season. Hence, people are "creaming themselves". Seems perfectly understandable to me.

I expected him to have been competitive, and for some of the round he was just that. His round included a duffed chip, and a few wayward long shots which cost. Oh and a semi shank lets not forget. So on balance it wasn't hectic.

Others (notably his fan club/homeboys on this forum) expected more. "He's back" etc.

Do you think he'd have been happy with 2nd last place?

I expected him to have been competitive, and for some of the round he was just that. His round included a duffed chip, and a few wayward long shots which cost. Oh and a semi shank lets not forget. So on balance it wasn't hectic.

Others (notably his fan club/homeboys on this forum) expected more. "He's back" etc.

Do you think he'd have been happy with 2nd last place?

He's up against 17 of the top 50 ranked golfers in the world, after 15 months out of the game and you expect him to be competitive. If McIlroy, DJ, Day or anyone else returned after such a long lay-off, I'd expect them to struggle big time. Expecting him to be competitive seems crazy.

Some people have gone OTT on his return, no doubt, but I dont understand how you could be "underwhelmed". He had 15 solid holes yesterday and imploded on the final 3. Everyone has a few wayward shots every round. However, his irons looked very good. His driving was ok as was his short game for the most part (and that was the worry). If anything, he exceeded expectations for me.

I don't think he expected much more and I certainly hope he is not happy with it.

He's up against 17 of the top 50 ranked golfers in the world, after 15 months out of the game and you expect him to be competitive. If McIlroy, DJ, Day or anyone else returned after such a long lay-off, I'd expect them to struggle big time. Expecting him to be competitive seems crazy.

Some people have gone OTT on his return, no doubt, but I dont understand how you could be "underwhelmed". He had 15 solid holes yesterday and imploded on the final 3. Everyone has a few wayward shots every round. However, his irons looked very good. His driving was ok as was his short game for the most part (and that was the worry). If anything, he exceeded expectations for me.

I don't think he expected much more and I certainly hope he is not happy with it.

His return was stage managed to the nth degree. I don't think he could possibly have been any more ready. He deferred it previously due to his game being "vulnerable".

He's mended physically and had enough practice under his belt to face the world (the cameras were certainly following him) and compete with confidence. In the circumstances his display was underwhelming.

I reckon his mental edge is gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If you really believe any golfer can take that much time off and come back on day one of competitive golf and not make mistakes then you clearly do not understand the game of golf. You can practice until the cows come home but the minute you put a scorecard in any golfers hands it's a different ball game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

He's played his first 18 holes of competitive golf in 16 months. He's was -3 after 15.

'His mental edge is gone'

I really have to stop opening this thread lol.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    If you really believe any golfer can take that much time off and come back on day one of competitive golf and not make mistakes then you clearly do not understand the game of golf. You can practice until the cows come home but the minute you put a scorecard in any golfers hands it's a different ball game.

Your opinion and mine clearly are quite different on Woods. Vive la difference.

Please don't try and tell me what I do/don't understand however.

Advertisement