Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tilikum wrote: »
    He's played his first 18 holes of competitive golf in 16 months. He's was -3 after 15.

'His mental edge is gone'

I really have to stop opening this thread lol.

It's important to remember that a round of golf is 18 holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I expected him to have been competitive, and for some of the round he was just that. His round included a duffed chip, and a few wayward long shots which cost. Oh and a semi shank lets not forget. So on balance it wasn't hectic.

He also carried a 5 iron 233 yards by his own reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd say he got a bit fatigued towards the end. Playing in that heat in first competitive game in that long, it got to him.

See what happens today, I'd almost say something similar will happen until his "fitness" returns fully. That will take a few tournaments too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He also carried a 5 iron 233 yards by his own reckoning.

No doubting his strength or conditioning. He has trimmed down a bit and looks pretty lean and keen.

He has joined the baldies however. Jordan Speith is next.....:D

No doubting his strength or conditioning. He has trimmed down a bit and looks pretty lean and keen.

He has joined the baldies however. Jordan Speith is next.....

Pity it was a shank into the desert but even still very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I expected him to have been competitive, and for some of the round he was just that. His round included a duffed chip, and a few wayward long shots which cost. Oh and a semi shank lets not forget. So on balance it wasn't hectic.

Others (notably his fan club/homeboys on this forum) expected more. "He's back" etc.

Do you think he'd have been happy with 2nd last place?

i've seen the mini ronald mcdonald from up north duck hook many drives this year and miss one foot putts so it happens to every golfer, justin rose has been out a fraction of the time tiger was and finished below him.The bitterness on here is crazy from supposed golf fans

Your opinion and mine clearly are quite different on Woods. Vive la difference.

Please don't try and tell me what I do/don't understand however.

Opinions are one thing, but right and wrong are another.If you played golf to any decent standard, you would understand you are clearly wrong here, and Keano is clearly right

AnneFrank wrote:
    Opinions are one thing, but right and wrong are another.If you played golf to any decent standard, you would understand you are clearly wrong here, and Keano is clearly right

Is playing golf to a decent standard a prerequisite to posting here now?

He's entitled to his opinion either way.

He might just be a **** hot golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

AnneFrank wrote: »
    i've seen the mini ronald mcdonald from up north duck hook many drives this year and miss one foot putts so it happens to every golfer, justin rose has been out a fraction of the time tiger was and finished below him.The bitterness on here is crazy from supposed golf fans

Can you provide evidence or these Duck Hook drives and missed 1 foot putts?

Id be interested to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Is playing golf to a decent standard a prerequisite to posting here now?

He's entitled to his opinion either way.

He might just be a **** hot golfer.

I don't think that's quite what AnneFrank means. All he is trying to say is doing it on the driving range is not equal to doing it on the course and so on. Standing on the first tee is much harder than on the range. The same leap can be made between practice rounds and competitive golf.

Tiger effectively said as much himself a few weeks back. It was something to the effect of: 'I've been hitting it well on the range. I can hit the low 60's in rounds with friends but my game isn't up to competitive golf yet' - they had the quote on Golf Weekly the other week and I ain't arsed listening back to find it.
    Can you provide evidence or these Duck Hook drives and missed 1 foot putts?

Id be interested to see.

Seriously? You need proof of Rory's awful putting from this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Woods on his own as Rose withdraws

-1 for the day after 2 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Another birdie on 6. On -1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

What station are you getting coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Looks like he is about to go -5 for his round.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/804748314918862848

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Out nearly 2 years...

First start back he's holding his own against a field that has the majority of the current worlds best players..

But yeah

What a cabbage he is

-6 for his round now thru 14. And onto a par 5 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He looks good, calm.

In fact, every aspect of his game is softer or something. Hard to put my finger on it.

But looks well within himself.

Says everything if Tiger and Rory have gone for that TM driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

HighLine wrote: »
    -6 for his round now thru 14. And onto a par 5 now.

Currently J5 with Snedeker which puts them somewhere in the middle of the leaderboard after a good 2R (so far), if I remember correctly Tiger was around 200/1 this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The big question shouldn't be how he's performing for 15 holes yesterday, the final 3 yesterday or today's round. We all know he was one of the games greats. The big question for me is how his body will hold up come Sunday evening and for many Sunday's to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

In fact, every aspect of his game is softer or something. Hard to put my finger on it.

This ^^^
    To my non technical eye he seems to be releasing the club more smoothly as opposed to that sort of "hold off" choppy swing he had been making in recent years. Or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Couple of lads in this thread must be seething at the minute lol.

Looking like a bogey on 16 after getting an unlucky kick with his drive into an awkward spot. A shame because every aspect of his game looks very good today. His 13 major winning putter looks very hot.

Edit - makes a 20 footer to save par.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Vintage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

lovely putt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fabulous par save there. He's on fire - great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Oh yessss. Compare his dramatic reaction to the milksop metronomes that have.reigned in his absence. First time my heart has leaped watching golf in quite a while.

Tilikum wrote:
    Couple of lads in this thread must be seething at the minute lol.

Yeah one swallow makes a summer. He plays well and finishes well I'll be the first to say he shouldn't be ranked anywhere below 800 in the world.

A bogey free 7 under today. That will do nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well, I just creamed myself. Presume you all did.

Is this guy not worth the entry price to life itself or what? Quite phenomenal. Newton, Mozart, Shakespeare, Kant, Woods. Some comets are just brighter than others and its a privilege for us common mortals to see one blaze across the other wise dark and dull skies of our lives.

An amnesty to all the doubters of you that were out there. Whatever way you slice it, in the big scheme of things, that is one truly remarkable round.

Post coital whhhooooo.

Advertisement