Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Signs of tiredness there 3 dropped from nowhere. Mere mortal after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Familiar black red combo is out, but not off to a flying start. Dunked a chip from on the green, is now off the green, double bogey. 3 over for the day. :eek: Was a tough chip tho.

Three birdies in a row now, thats better.

I think its safe to say that he's not finished and this is a proper attempt at a comeback. Decent looking comeback, too. I could see him winning again. There are a good few players stringing wins together in their forties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes overall probably have to agree although I have to be honest I hoped for more after the 65 on day 2. Not necessarily for something amazing, but the 76 on day 4 was a bit underwhelming. Just shows how tough it actually is at that top level and how hard to be even just tournament proof for four day events.
    Onwards and upwards, at he very least it'll give renewed interest in watching golf.
    Now I'm hoping he will return to a somewhat regular schedule and not just play a dozen events every year or so. Would love to see him at the Sony Open in January and kick on not just come back for the 3 weeks prior to the Masters. Surely he must know that making tournaments a regular thing again is the best medicine to get back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So he finished the week with the most birdies in the field which is obviously great to see but his mistakes were aplenty, I really enjoyed his front 9 Thursday, all of Friday and then isolated parts of Saturday and Sunday, he was not a disgrace and great to see him on form at times.
    His world ranking points were not deserved however

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

slave1 wrote: »
    So he finished the week with the most birdies in the field which is obviously great to see but his mistakes were aplenty, I really enjoyed his front 9 Thursday, all of Friday and then isolated parts of Saturday and Sunday, he was not a disgrace and great to see him on form at times.
    His world ranking points were not deserved however

Why not? Was it an official PGA tour event?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

*Yeah I know he finished 15/17.

In all seriousness I think he has shown signs of better things next year, but people might need to be realistic about how long it will take to get back to competitive levels and putting in 4 rounds of good golf. It's not going to happen in event 1 but maybe by March/April he'll be back into it.

I like how the swing looks now. I think he'll get a win next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think all in all it was a very positive week. Let's not also forget that he was hosting the tournament. It involves a lot of background work, energy and focus.

The last round was certainly disappointing but the main thing I was looking for was any signs of remaining injury. I thought he looked in pain when he was picking up his tees on the Saturday but if you look at the collection of some of his Sunday drives below, he was really going after it on some some holes which is a good sign that his back is in good order. It's going to take a few tournaments for 16 months of rust to wear off.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/805501810819547137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

HighLine wrote: »
    I think all in all it was a very positive week. Let's not also forget that he was hosting the tournament. It involves a lot of background work, energy and focus.

The last round was certainly disappointing but the main thing I was looking for was any signs of remaining injury. I thought he looked in pain when he was picking up his tees on the Saturday but if you look at the collection of some of his Sunday drives below, he was really going after it on some some holes which is a good sign that his back is in good order. It's going to take a few tournaments for 16 months of rust to wear off.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/805501810819547137

i'd love to know the difference in club head speed from now to before he started having the back issues, personally i prefer this swing it looks at lot more on plane and in control

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Why not? Was it an official PGA tour event?

Re: Ranking points, yes it was an official event however being handed ranking points just for turning up when you are ranked in the 600's is not fair IMHO.
    Paul Dunne had to make a cut against a big field and ended up with 1.47 points, Tiger got 4.38, even if he came last he would have got 3.92 just for turning up.

Just to add, we was actually in the high 800's before the comp and jumped to 650 afterwards, any ranking points he collects from here on in will jump him up the rankings big time as he's no points to be falling away (if you follow me...)

I know what you mean, but its a unique situation. Ranking points are there to make it worth their while for everyone and its Tigers tournament, can hardly exclude him. I guess its one of those perks when you have won 80 tournaments and now host your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

I know what you mean, but its a unique situation. Ranking points are there to make it worth their while for everyone and its Tigers tournament, can hardly exclude him. I guess its one of those perks when you have won 80 tournaments and now host your own.

It's a very unfair perk on the majority of touring pros though when someone can essentially invite a few of his buddies round for a competition and award ranking points for playing against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Except its 1 competition and the somebody is Tiger Woods. This one tournament isn't single handedly destroying the ranking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Russman wrote:
    It's a very unfair perk on the majority of touring pros though when someone can essentially invite a few of his buddies round for a competition and award ranking points for playing against each other.

I presume everyone who played got points. It is unfair when it is such a closed shop, invitation thing. If entry qualification is not based on merit I think it should be offline as regards WR points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

First Up wrote: »
    I presume everyone who played got points. It is unfair when it is such a closed shop, invitation thing. If entry qualification is not based on merit I think it should be offline as regards WR points.

Its not an invitation only event. There is a clear qualifying structure and, like any event, there are sponsor invites.

bren2001 wrote:
    Its not an invitation only event. There is a clear qualifying structure and, like any event, there are sponsor invites.

But not merit based.

But not merit based.

Its the top 11 players according to the OWGR.
    The current champion.
    The current major champions.
    2 sponsor picks.

How is that not merit based? Similar structure for any tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

bren2001 wrote: »
    The current champion.
    2 sponsor picks.

I'd argue the field is simply too small to be considered for ranking points.
    Where is the line drawn ? I mean to take it a bit more extreme, if the top 4 in the rankings have a 4 ball for a million quid, should they get points ? Obviously that's a little silly, but really, 17 top ranked players and a player barely in the top 1,000 playing, and the lowest ranked guy can jump a few hundred places for simply hosting the event seems equally silly to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Exactly right. It's the worst event of the year.

Russman wrote: »
    I'd argue the field is simply too small to be considered for ranking points.
    Where is the line drawn ? I mean to take it a bit more extreme, if the top 4 in the rankings have a 4 ball for a million quid, should they get points ? Obviously that's a little silly, but really, 17 top ranked players and a player barely in the top 1,000 playing, and the lowest ranked guy can jump a few hundred places for simply hosting the event seems equally silly to me.

I'd agree with that all right. As slave1 pointed out, coming last in this gets you more points than what Paul Dunne got for the Alfred Dunhill. Certainly unfair that way.

The 4.38 pts Tiger got, account for over half of his current points total.
    slave1 wrote: »
    Re: Ranking points, yes it was an official event however being handed ranking points just for turning up when you are ranked in the 600's is not fair IMHO.
    Paul Dunne had to make a cut against a big field and ended up with 1.47 points, Tiger got 4.38, even if he came last he would have got 3.92 just for turning up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tiger fan club roaring loudly :D

p.s. A bit of perspective might be useful - he came 15th out of 17 finishers on a resort course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I see Tommy Bjorn got the ryder cup captaincy, Obvious choice really and should be alot better than Clarke was

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I see Tommy Bjorn got the ryder cup captaincy, Obvious choice really and should be alot better than Clarke was

And what has that got to do with Tiger Woods??!!

The current champion.
    2 sponsor picks.

Who were the two sponsors picks?

Who were the two sponsors picks?

Tiger and Snedeker afaik.

Tiger and Snedeker afaik.

It might have been Zach Johnson (38 in OWGR) who got the pick instead of Snedeker who might have scraped in at 28. I think ten of the top 28 didn't play - Day, McElroy, Scott, Noren, Willett etc.

That's a lot of distortion in such a small field. I hope the points awarded were adjusted accordingly.

It might have been Zach Johnson (38 in OWGR) who got the pick instead of Snedeker who might have scraped in at 28. I think ten of the top 28 didn't play - Day, McElroy, Scott, Noren, Willett etc.

That's a lot of distortion in such a small field. I hope the points awarded were adjusted accordingly.

I think you're correct. I only glanced at the rankings and forgot Watson qualified as the champion.

• Advertisement

Awwww poor Paul Dunne. Tiger clearly holding him back. Come on lads. Get over it. It's Tiger Woods. The 1st billion dollar sports man. He has his own tournament. Some day Paul Dunne may have his own tournament too.

Advertisement