Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Awwww poor Paul Dunne. Tiger clearly holding him back. Come on lads. Get over it. It's Tiger Woods. The 1st billion dollar sports man. He has his own tournament. Some day Paul Dunne may have his own tournament too.

Making the cut in South Africa is harder than coming last in the World Hero. Why should coming last get more points? The 4.38 points Tiger got would have been Dunnes second largest points haul from a tournament. Dunne got 4.05 for finishing 30th in 144th Open Championship, obviously a far more difficult task.

Its only one player but Tiger has every other advantage he needs i.e. an invite to whatever tournament he wants. He shouldn't literally be handed points. Not that this is Tigers fault/problem.

EDIT: (not saying Tiger came last btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

Its not about Paul Dunne or even Tiger Woods, but in theory, what did Tiger do at the weekend to warrant a jump of several hundred places - which was the minimum he would have jumped even if he did finish last ?

Fair play to TW having his own tournament, he's totally entitled to it, but any 18 man field, especially one with 17 good players and one player 800 places below them, shouldn't have ranking points IMHO. A field that small is just too exclusive I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I probably agree with you on that. I guess it's just difficult to assemble anyone of note off season like that. Hence the money hence the points. It's not a great situation and truth be told the whole thing really is a non-event. Only thing that made it somewhat interesting was your mans return. Probably the first time I actually watched it.

What's the next real tournament? Champions tournament in Hawaii?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Sony Open
    Farmers then at the end of Jan.

Phoenix Open is the next big Tour event.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Enjoyable thread has been derailed by the tiger haters. Can it be cleaned up Mods?

Separate World ranking points thread should be created to continue any relevant discussion

We already have Paul Dunne thread for continued comedy fawning over there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Domo1982 wrote:
    Enjoyable thread has been derailed by the tiger haters. Can it be cleaned up Mods?

Tiger lovers have stained the bedsheets beyond all repair. It's a discussion thread hence the "conflicted" opinions🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I wonder what odds the great man is for the masters, i'd say he must be at least 30 or 40 to 1.
    I heard Lowry talking about him last night and he was really impressed by Tigers driving and more controlled swing.
    He also made more birdies than anyone in the field, not bad for a supposed has been

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I wonder what odds the great man is for the masters, i'd say he must be at least 30 or 40 to 1.
    I heard Lowry talking about him last night and he was really impressed by Tigers driving and more controlled swing.
    He also made more birdies than anyone in the field, not bad for a supposed has been

He's around 22/1, depending on what bookies you use. As high as 26/1 in some places and as low as 16/1 (on BetBright).

His odds are naturally skewed. I personally think he should be in the 80 or 90/1 bracket myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Read the charter lads.
    Betting
    Could all betting / gambling talk be kept in the Gambling Mega Thread found here please.
    Do no make posts that are purely around betting/odds in any thread other than the gambling thread above.
    Likewise do not make non betting related posts in the betting thread.
    Its fine to make a comment on a bet you had on someone etc but this must not be the main purpose of your post.
    Blatant attempts to ignore or circumvent this rule will result in a 1 month ban.
    Under no circumstances should any poster offer a bet to any other poster. Immediate 1 month ban will result.
    Warning will be given at the moderators discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

AnneFrank wrote: »

All great encouraging stuff yes, however the realistic outlook is it was on a very wide resort course with a field of 18 players.
    The real test will be a run of a few full PGA tour setup with full fields, so best maybe put away the tissues for a little while.

• Advertisement

All great encouraging stuff yes, however the realistic outlook is it was on a very wide resort course with a field of 18 players.
    The real test will be a run of a few full PGA tour setup with full fields, so best maybe put away the tissues for a little while.

It's Rory that needs the tissues at Augusta, not Tiger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Article on Irish Golf Desk below with some comments from Rory, Shane and Padraig (more "tiger comeback fans") on Tiger's comeback. Agree with Rory in thinking you don't have 24 birdies in a week and not show good signs.

Also echo Paddy's view on a few drives of Tiger's that were wayward .. "Those bad ones wouldn’t cost him on another style of golf course."

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2016/12/7/rory-analyses-happy-tiger-winning-majors-isnt-really-about-how-he-swings-it-its-about-feeling-the-pressure-under-the-gun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like Tiger will be back on January 26th at Torrey pines.

ESPN suggesting he might play 4 events in 5 weeks. That would test any niggling injuries (if there are any).

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/18408724/tiger-woods-play-farmers-insurance-open-torrey-pines

Edit* Just after I typed this - he is confirmed for the Dubai Desert Classic.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2017/tournamentid=2017008/news/newsid=317979.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Looks like Tiger will be back on January 26th at Torrey pines.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Won there so many times. Defo e/w bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The week after he will play in the Dubai Classic. Two weeks after that in the 'Genesis Open' whatever that is. A week after that he'll play the Honda Classic.

F****. He's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Steady.

Masters Champ 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Came across this, still makes me smile.

Tiger, DJ and Day out together Thursday/Friday. That will be fun.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/823984735596777472

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »

Wonder will Tiger be able to resist keeping up with the lads off the tee.......for his back's sake I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Teeing it up with Taylormades 2 biggest names.

Nice way to celebrate buying Taylormade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Wonder what the odds would be on Dj having to play the 2nd round on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

After several months of contract negotiations with all the major golf providers, TM are the ones who paid the most to get TW on board.
    https://twitter.com/TigerWoods/status/824246900895252481

FYP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good luck and good health to him.

i'm so happy he's back, the guy is a genius

Sounds like he will still have the Nike irons and wedges in the bag for a while yet. Is it not a bad endorsement for TM that there is nothing they can build for him iron wise straight away?
    I first started playing TaylorMade equipment as far back as I can remember, so I'm no stranger to what this company has done over the years in pushing golf innovation forward. This brand has played a major role in my life and has contributed to many of my early successes, including U.S. Junior and U.S. Amateur Championships. Today, I am proud to announce that I am officially joining the TaylorMade family.

Throughout my career, I've always been meticulous about my equipment. Over the past few months, I've had clubs from every brand sent to me to test. When it came to making a final decision, the choice was easy-it all came down to performance, which is why I chose TaylorMade.

In 2017, my new bag will include the full M family of metalwoods - Driver and Fairways. In fact, the new M2 3-Wood is unlike anything I've ever hit. It has the perfect shape and I told the guys during our first meeting that this is the farthest I've ever hit a fairway wood.

For irons and wedges, I'm going to work closely with the team at TaylorMade. For my irons, we will be developing a new custom set. Over the coming months, we will take you along the development journey, from the initial design concepts all the way through the process until they make it into my bag. Finally, the new MG Wedge is absolutely beautiful, and we're working to dial in the exact grind for me. There's no doubt it's fun to have some new weapons, and the confidence I have in my new TaylorMade equipment makes me excited for the season.

As I've said before, my goal remains the same: to win.

This is going to be fun.

Tiger Woods

sounds like he's going to be part of the development of them highline,
    probably with a % of the sales afterwards aswell tied into the deal,
    has mcilroy chosen irons yet ?

• Advertisement

Sounds like he will still have the Nike irons and wedges in the bag for a while yet. Is it not a bad endorsement for TM that there is nothing they can build for him iron wise straight away?

It does seem a little odd alright. I mean, he plays blades, you'd think they'd be able to adjust a set of their MBs to suit him without too much hassle. Or surely Nike have a set of blank heads lying around that they've no need for and TM could engrave the TP logo on them !:D

Advertisement