Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

HighLine wrote: »
    It's just featured group coverage until 8pm. And Tiger is probably not going to be around for the weekend which is probably good news to all the spectators who are lining the fairways and are not wearing helmets.

It seems like the 3 of them are not into the fore thing.

A bit crazy - as they all have serious ball speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

First Up wrote: »
    Not to mention those of us who want to watch the golf tournament.

Golf coverage starts at 8pm. This is featured groups extra coverage. So you gonna see a lot of those featured groups you would think, no need to get excited. You could simply turn the telly off you know?

Can never understand people giving out about watching Tiger. While watching Tiger hanging out in the Tiger thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Golf coverage starts at 8pm. This is featured groups extra coverage. So you gonna see a lot of those featured groups you would think, no need to get excited. You could simply turn the telly off you know?

The reference was to the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Can never understand people giving out about watching Tiger. While watching Tiger hanging out in the Tiger thread.

You do know this is a conflicted thread?

Pretty sure not to make the weekend either way. Pity as I was hoping he'd have the long game in better shape. I don't think being out with the two longer guys did him any good, but he should be able to rise above that imo.

You do know this is a conflicted thread?

Pretty sure not to make the weekend either way. Pity as I was hoping he'd have the long game in better shape. I don't think being out with the two longer guys did him any good, but he should be able to rise above that imo.

I know sorry, slight overreaction, I'm a fan. :o

Anyway, actually I've been watching all of it so far and he has not been tempted to keep up. He is swinging within himself. It looks pretty good.

He's been in the rough a lot though yesterday and it got him in the end. Today isn't much better, but the course isn't as tough. So driving is only soso. Irons are not quite up to his standard either. Not giving himself birdie chances. Not even on the par 5s. Short game is pretty decent at least.
    Overall probably not good enough to make the cut, last 7 holes yesterday did the damage. He needs to get back to level I'd say and not sure where 4 birdies are going to come from.
    Shame but good to see him back. Not like Mickey Mouse tourney back, but back back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

On a positive note- his short game is looking sharp and his driving is better today. He will have the weekend off to rest before departing for Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I think people need to move away from the short term analysis. With every birdie he becomes the favourite for the Masters then when he bogeys the next he's a has been.

Truthfully he's neither. He's going to have good rounds, bad rounds, good tournaments and bad tournaments. He's going to have to battle it out, and if he does then he stands a chance of winning tournaments here and there. He looks in decent nick these days and seems focused. The game isn't where it needs to be but who knows, let time reveal it for sure, nobody knows yet.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I think people need to move away from the short term analysis. With every birdie he becomes the favourite for the Masters then when he bogeys the next he's a has been.

Truthfully he's neither. He's going to have good rounds, bad rounds, good tournaments and bad tournaments. He's going to have to battle it out, and if he does then he stands a chance of winning tournaments here and there. He looks in decent nick these days and seems focused. The game isn't where it needs to be but who knows, let time reveal it for sure, nobody knows yet.

Yes - but as Tiger fans as we mostly are (as in 90 % of golfers) , it is going to be very hard to watch him battle it out.

A bit like when Seve couldn't drive - it was hard to watch. Because it is hard to watch our heroes fall.

And when Tiger was playing poorly under Sean Foley or when he was injured - he was still the primary focus.

Agree with you - hopefully it all calms down in a while - but there is a risk with the US coverage it will not.

At least not as bad as that "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeef" s***.

Early day - good to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

Yes - but as Tiger fans as we mostly are (as in 90 % of golfers) .

Sorry Fix, that 90% is really about 50% at best :D

Russman wrote: »
    Sorry Fix, that 90% is really about 50% at best :D

ok 90% of "real golfers." ;)

If we could remove moral ambiguity. And he stopped spitting and not shouting fore.

• Advertisement

I can't put my finger on it.

I dont think he looks comfortable - or walks comfortable

Maybe he is just old and the image I have in my head is just so far away from him now.

He swung that one flat out.

Nice to see - but I'm sort of hanging on in case he falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PeadarK

I really think he should just call it a day. He's been struggling for years and not getting any closer to a real return

PeadarK wrote: »
    I really think he should just call it a day. He's been struggling for years and not getting any closer to a real return

He is only back :eek:

He had a very good year in 2013.

He has just had injures.

Els
    Clarke
    Furyk
    Mickelson

All have won and some still at highest level and Woods is better than any of them

If his body holds up, no reason he can't win a major.

But just there - he has milled 2 shots at 4 over. Don't understand that - he definitely has a sort of macho / masochist element in him.

It is what got him where he is - but not sure you can do that in your 40s after very very serious back issues.

For one of the most talented 3 balls ever - they have been awful

Meanwhile Shane Lowry needs a birdie (or two) to make the weekend.

3 of the most powerful players to ever play the game on an easy par 5.

No birdie between them .

It was desperate stuff. The lads enjoyed Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

For one of the most talented 3 balls ever - they have been awful

Tough course, tough conditions, golf is hard, wouldn't read too much into it tbh.

DJ is probably jet lagged from being in the gulf, Day has missed a lot of time and Tigers first time back, in hindsight not really a surprise.

Just watching him with the press there and you'd wonder just how f--ked his body really is, listening to him talk about how hard it is to get up, stay loose etc. Sort of feel sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

3 of the most powerful players to ever play the game on an easy par 5.

No birdie between them .

It was desperate stuff. The lads enjoyed Christmas.

Ah, Dustin came second last week in Abu Dhabi so the travel probably didn't help him.

Certainly a better round from tiger today. Hit a lot more fairways but once again his irons were pretty poor. Short game looked good.
    But I would have to say that he didn't exactly look to be moving too freely while walking.
    Anyway, good to have him back and hopefully he can make the cut in Dubai and get 4 rounds under his bed

I have to agree with people saying he looked not 100% right. Swing looked fine but more with regards to his generally mobility. He did not move like someone who is without a care in the world. Faldo said it too at one point. It was pretty clear he was guarding himself coming off one of the elevated tee boxes.
    I know he's just turned 41, but that alone is no reason. You might not be able to wind up like you were 23 or run as fast, but you should really still be bouncing around no bother.
    Could be just a niggle, nothing. But with his medical history we will always wonder at the slightest sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Anytime Tiger is not playing so well - which is often in the last few years - he coincidentally begins feeling these little "niggles"... I'd love to see him play well because I love to watch good golf. But being forced to watch a humourless git play bad golf while people around him are playing watchably good golf really grinds my gears...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SmallFrog

I think he wont be World #1 by the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I just like watching him play to be honest. I haven't watched a game in a long time but I watched both of his rounds. I suppose that says something

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

dan_ep82 wrote:
    I just like watching him play to be honest. I haven't watched a game in a long time but I watched both of his rounds. I suppose that says something

It says you watched the wrong 3 ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

It says you watched the wrong 3 ball?
    I think it means he will pull crowds and viewers whether he plays well or not.

It probably means I overlook other good golfers aswell but being paired with DJ and Day I didn't think that would be a problem.

I wasn't even playing golf when he was in his prime, well except on a console, but I still knew who he was and I'd like to see him play well live instead of watching old tournaments. Probably the same way my dad knows Jack and Arnie and Player even though he doesn't play.

People need to understand that this is just how it works. Tiger was the man for a very long time. So people who came to golf in his prime would naturally be drawn to him. You don't just lose interest then when things go not so well. Thats like saying how could anyone watch Leeds or Liverpool when they haven't done a thing in decades. Its juts not how people tick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i'd rather watch Tiger play badly than beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeffff dancing around like a donkey,

AnneFrank wrote:
    i'd rather watch Tiger play badly than beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeffff dancing around like a donkey,

Indeed; just as we were seeing the back of the "Go Tiger, get in the hole" brigade, along comes that big ugly clunk and his chanters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A little bit off-topic but I really can't understand the dislike towards Beef shown on here. Hate the chanters if you want, not the golfer. Followed beef for several holes during the Irish Open Pro-Am last year... he came across as genuinely nice guy. Chatting away with fans, signing autos, taking selfies etc. continuously during the round and all the while with a big smile on his face genuinely enjoying what he does.

Perhaps refocus some hatred towards our current no1. Slow, boring as fook and guaranteed to put you asleep if you are unfortunate enough to be watching him in contention late on a Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

HighLine wrote: »
    A little bit off-topic but I really can't understand the dislike towards Beef shown on here. Hate the chanters if you want, not the golfer. Followed beef for several holes during the Irish Open Pro-Am last year... he came across as genuinely nice guy. Chatting away with fans, signing autos, taking selfies etc. continuously during the round and all the while with a big smile on his face genuinely enjoying what he does.

Perhaps refocus some hatred towards our current no1. Slow, boring as fook and guaranteed to put you asleep if you are unfortunate enough to be watching him in contention late on a Sunday evening.

Yep, Beef's a top lad.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote:

He's a good golfer and if he wants to look ridiculous its his own affair. I object to the media deciding to turn him into a "character" for their own ends and the gullible fans who faithfully fall in with all the nonsense.

Advertisement