Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That only happened after he won his first tournament though, then they realised he was offering something a little different. It's not like they built him up for the sake of it.

If he wants to grow out his beard and not take things too seriously that's his call. He'd still be a likeable, affable guy taking his appearance aside, and sport needs its characters.

He's a very good golfer first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ligerdub wrote:
    He's a very good golfer first and foremost.

First and last.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

HighLine wrote: »
    A little bit off-topic but I really can't understand the dislike towards Beef shown on here. Hate the chanters if you want, not the golfer. Followed beef for several holes during the Irish Open Pro-Am last year... he came across as genuinely nice guy. Chatting away with fans, signing autos, taking selfies etc. continuously during the round and all the while with a big smile on his face genuinely enjoying what he does.

Perhaps refocus some hatred towards our current no1. Slow, boring as fook and guaranteed to put you asleep if you are unfortunate enough to be watching him in contention late on a Sunday evening.

I think it has little to do with Beef or any other player for that matter, it's simply a case that some people are just full of hate and look for every opportunity to channel and spread that hate, not talking about anyone in particular "first up" but haters gonna hate!.

I think it has little to do with Beef or any other player for that matter, it's simply a case that some people are just full of hate and look for every opportunity to channel and spread that hate, not talking about anyone in particular "first up" but haters gonna hate!.

Mildly irritating - yes. Its a serious game at pro level and turning it into a circus is a bit annoying.

But hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

First Up wrote: »
    Mildly irritating - yes. Its a serious game at pro level and turning it into a circus is a bit annoying.

But hate?

It is a serious game and it would be incredibly bland if there were no characters, either created by themselves (the players) or the media, and TBF the media don't create the characters on their own but they do enhance and promote the characters in the game, so it's all part of the circus.
    FYI it is and always has been and always will be a circus, albeit a niche one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

But hate?

I would say a circus is exactly what it is first and foremost. A bunch of people travelling around the world, stopping in a different town every week to display their skills for the purpose of entertainment.

I too find it a bit annoying how contrived it is to keep plugging Beef just because they've decided he appeals to a demographic that they want to appeal to. But if you were involved in marketing the game of golf, you'd do the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

If people want to avoid a circus, it might be an idea to avoid this week's Waste Management Phoenix Open as Beef is in on a sponsor's exemption.:D

HighLine wrote:
    If people want to avoid a circus, it might be an idea to avoid this week's Waste Management Phoenix Open as Beef is in on a sponsor's exemption.

It figures.

Ormus wrote:
    I too find it a bit annoying how contrived it is to keep plugging Beef just because they've decided he appeals to a demographic that they want to appeal to. But if you were involved in marketing the game of golf, you'd do the exact same.

There is a difference between enjoying the skill of the players under pressure and the contrived sideshow of a "character" whose appeal is based on a silly beard and sillier nickname rather than on his ability.

That's not marketing golf. Its demeaning it.

There is a difference between enjoying the skill of the players under pressure and the contrived sideshow of a "character" whose appeal is based on a silly beard and sillier nickname rather than on his ability.

That's not marketing golf. Its demeaning it.

It's not, it's marketing. They want to soften golf's stuffy image, show non-golfers that these guys have 'personality'. It's cringey, but it can be effective.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote:
    It's not, it's marketing. They want to soften golf's stuffy image, show non-golfers that these guys have 'personality'. It's cringey, but it can be effective.

So people with little interest in golf are going to attend events or tune in on TV if players grow silly beards and have nicknames?

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Tigers eat beef for breakfast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Eating too much pussy was Tiger's downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

One could argue it was the making of the man..............he only lost form when he stopped :-)

So people with little interest in golf are going to attend events or tune in on TV if players grow silly beards and have nicknames?

Good luck with that.

I didn't say anything about the beard or the nickname, that was all you. But yes, if a golfer has a personality that appeals to non-golfers, that makes them more likely to watch golf.

Ormus wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about the beard or the nickname, that was all you. But yes, if a golfer has a personality that appeals to non-golfers, that makes them more likely to watch golf.

So what will they be watching for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

ligerdub wrote:
    One could argue it was the making of the man..............he only lost form when he stopped :-)

"Rotate the hips Rotate the hips!
    Where's she gone?"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tiger +4 through 15 holes in Dubai. Only 2 players with a worse score. Is this his level?

Now +5 through 16. 83rd out of 85.

Tiger +4 through 15 holes in Dubai. Only 2 players with a worse score. Is this his level?

It seems so. A few poor tee shots, but nothing destructive, overall he's not hitting it badly. Say on 9, 100 yards into the par 5 over a lake. Just too much spin on it, spun back into the lake. No big disasters, just frittering shots away like that. Bit like myself. ;)

I think he needs to keep playing week in week out, get back to that being normality. At the moment he's just not quite there at that level no sugar-coating it.

Does 85 players mean there is not cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I agree. This is pretty much Tiger's last throw of the dice to see if he can have any chance of a reasonable playing career in the years ahead... he really needs to play as much tournament golf as he can physically manage. It's ugly right now, it's hard to watch... maybe it can get better.

Ah its not that bad. It is because of who he is and what we know he did that we want to see him playing better so badly. But its not ugly.

Time will tell. It may turn out 'it' is just gone, but for the moment I'd go with 'rusty'.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Does 85 players mean there is not cut?

There is definitely a cut. I was looking at odds last night of Tiger missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

fearruanua wrote: »
    There is definitely a cut. I was looking at odds last night of Tiger missing it.

The field is around 130. Tiger is currently T100 out of 102 but will slip further down as more people tee off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Way too early to get a feel for where he is.

Don't get him going to this - would have imagined a few handy events in US, a slow build up. Apparently he had to get commercial flight (God help the poor lad).

Besides his golf - in reality, his health and body is most important thing at present.

Is it going to hold up ? serious doubts. He genuinely doesn't look comfortable. It is something we don't talk about much in golf - but wonder is he on medication to play (Difene etc).

I'd like to see him just play in up to 10 events and see if the body holds up - worry and look at his game then.

But - accept it is hard work to watch Tiger like this - particularly when you see every shot and he is 4/5 over.

Way too early to get a feel for where he is.

Don't get him going to this - would have imagined a few handy events in US, a slow build up.

Appearance money. Its where he is at these days.

Appearance money. Its where he is at these days.

Was thinking that, well maybe even more contractual.

But - jaysus - the man doesn't need money.

But - jaysus - the man doesn't need money.

You bet he does.

You bet he does.

Most estimations have him above .5 Billion.

He seriously doesn't need the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Most estimations have him above .5 Billion.

He seriously doesn't need the money.

He isn't doing this for the money. My guess would be sponsor obligations.

Advertisement