Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

First Up wrote: »
    Appearance money. Its where he is at these days.

Perhaps but if his game doesn't improve that income stream will dry up.

Missing cuts won't keep the viewers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Most estimations have him above .5 Billion.

He seriously doesn't need the money.

There's a difference between needing and wanting :D

Bear in mind that it's basically part of the deal, and to him it was the best option on the table in terms of the value of his time. I'm sure he could have stayed in the States for no appearance money and possibly earned nothing that week, or go to Dubai and have a guaranteed income from it. He might have weighed it up and said "Dubai it is". When you throw in the risk of losing a sponsor as well it's an easy, probably contractual decision.

It's travel either way, be it the States or the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Most estimations have him above .5 Billion.

Check the other side of the balance sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

He looked in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Check the other side of the balance sheet.

I'm curious. What do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I'm curious as to where any positivity came from his round this morning. Granted, I only watched 9 holes, but he looked like he had been interfered with in a not so pleasant way the previous night.

He is obviously still in considerable pain. Having sat out for 16 months to recover, it really does not look good for him going forward if such pain is still persisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just getting to see highlights of the round now.

Ideal conditions and starting on a par 5 but what a disaster of a start. Very worrying to see him getting out of the bunker on his first hole. Iv seen seniors in my own club get out much quicker.

The 3rd shot on the 18th was just so uncharacteristic as well and then his putting which was ok last week was just shocking.

Was hopeful he could at least make the cut just to get a few rounds in but not going to happen now. If the conditions are anything like tomorrow afternoon for him like today he could shoot a very high score. Strong winds and sand blowing across the course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

So what will they be watching for?

They'll watch because they like the guy and want to support him and want to check out the sport that he plays to see if they like it as much as him.

We're gone way off topic here. Trust me, this is a marketing strategy as old as time itself. People are often attracted to sports because of the people who play those sports.

Ormus wrote:
    They'll watch because they like the guy and want to support him and want to check out the sport that he plays to see if they like it as much as him.

Golf fans may pay more attention to golfers with "personality" than they otherwise might. Non golf fans won't be influenced either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Golf fans may pay more attention to golfers with "personality" than they otherwise might. Non golf fans won't be influenced either way.

Ok. Impressive that you know better than all those expert marketing professionals. You oughta let them know they're wasting their time.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote:
    Ok. Impressive that you know better than all those expert marketing professionals. You oughta let them know they're wasting their time.

I am an expert marketing professional

Milkers wrote: »
    He looked in bits.

I didn't get to see the end of the round and interviews etc but from what I did see today and last week that is my biggest concern too. Not the swing which is good and not the game which is bound to be rusty. But he doesn't look right. If he was a footballer you'd say he is crooked.
    And even in the pre round interview or maybe that was yesterday. Whatever sky had before he teed off. He was talking about how that is the normal process of getting older. And how some of his older mates told him that it can take two hours to get ready for a round and two hours of rehabilitation.
    I don't like the look or the sound of any of that.

I mean wtf. I get out of my car and tee off five minutes later and I'm older than he is. And yes I know that may be one reason why I'm off 12 but I mean physically that is no problem. He is 41 not 71. :eek:

I really don't want to speculate and declare him dead and all that I'm a big fan. But if that's what it is he should call it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I didn't get to see the end of the round and interviews etc but from what I did see today and last week that is my biggest concern too. Not the swing which is good and not the game which is bound to be rusty. But he doesn't look right. If he was a footballer you'd say he is crooked.
    And even in the pre round interview or maybe that was yesterday. Whatever sky had before he teed off. He was talking about how that is the normal process of getting older. And how some of his older mates told him that it can take two hours to get ready for a round and two hours of rehabilitation.
    I don't like the look or the sound of any of that.

I mean wtf. I get out of my car and tee off five minutes later and I'm older than he is. And yes I know that may be one reason why I'm off 12 but I mean physically that is no problem. He is 41 not 71. :eek:

I really don't want to speculate and declare him dead and all that I'm a big fan. But if that's what it is he should call it a day.

I get the 5 minutes thing.

But what they are doing in golf versus amateurs is not comparable. What Tiger did - had hardly been seen ever.

They are hitting 1000s of balls every day. The courses they are playing are over 7000 yards.
    They are swinging the club 20 to 30 % faster - and the energy is more as it is a power (mathematically) of that.

It is probably worth reminding ourselves how hard he swung the club and for how long.

Tiger is not just hitting a golf ball - he turned golf into an athletic action.

These new pros are playing a new game physically - we probably have this idea that golf will have guys competitive into late 40s and 50s.

I know strength and conditioning has come a long way - but Tiger was before all that.

I think injuries will be more part of the game.

Even Day is showing signs of problems at 29 - he swings the club very very hard.

Interesting to see the contrast today

They go to range after 2 mins.

he picks two tees up out of ground after 1min33 - he looks like an old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I am an expert marketing professional

Could you have marketed this long drawn out retirement as a comeback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

One lad on Sky just put it well there (watching on playback)- " the brain is writing checks the body just can't cash".
    Jaysus he looks very immobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

PARlance wrote:
    Could you have marketed this long drawn out retirement as a comeback?

Harsh! :-)

Its a benign conspiracy between the media and the rest of the Tour who benefit financially from his presence with no real risk to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Love Tiger but he's been playing for Nike the last few years. Worse than watching Michael Jordan playing for the Wizards this!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Harsh! :-)

Harsh but true... and consistent :)

2 years, 8 months ago
    PARlance wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think we'll see much of Tiger over the next 10 years.
    His body has taken such a battering and sadly I think we'll just get to
    see a few failed returns, hampered by injury, before he finally calls it a day.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this being the begining of the end for Tiger.

Call it a day Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Tiger is not just hitting a golf ball - he turned golf into an athletic action.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Just announced he has withdrawn from the Omega, hard to see a way back for the man now, if he can't stick it out for any prolonged period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Woods was never going to come back and not contend.

Unless he's in the shake up I don't think he's interested in just been a tour pro.

He has just withdrawn from the tournament due to a 'bad back'.

Cr@p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Back spasms his agent is saying. Sore thing.

The start of the final end.

He looked uncomfortable from the time he has been back.

Trampas wrote: »
    Woods was never going to come back and not contend.

Unless he's in the shake up I don't think he's interested in just been a tour pro.

That's a given, but the only way he will contend is if he is playing competitively week in week out, and it looks more and more like his body just won't allow it.

The start of the final end.

He looked uncomfortable from the time he has been back.

Looking uncomfortable is one thing, physically not been able to do it is another.

Looking uncomfortable is one thing, physically not been able to do it is another.

He is not able to physically play after looking uncomfortable. Yes. They are different things - but highly probable that they are related.

Only hope is it is precautionary - but very very slim at this point.

• Advertisement

He is not able to physically play after looking uncomfortable. Yes. They are different things - but highly probable that they are related.

Only hope is it is precautionary - but very very slim at this point.

Yes true they are probably related, and only time will tell if he can overcome them, I for one hope so, but it's not looking good.

Advertisement