Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

From the 1999 PGA Championship through the 2002 U.S. Open, Woods won seven of the 11 majors contested. Woods was a cumulative 94 under par in those tournaments – 60 shots better than any other player

During the 2000 PGA Tour season, Woods recorded one round higher than 73. It came in the first round of the Masters. He shot 75, on a day when the field averaged 75.59.

There have only been two instances since 1900 where a player won a major championship by 10 strokes or more. Woods owns both of those instances (1997 Masters, 2000 U.S. Open).

Tiger is the only player in PGA Tour history to win eight or more times on a single course. He has done it on three different courses.

Tiger has won five straight PGA Tour starts three different times. Over the last 60 years, he is the only player to do it once

Woods had 142 consecutive PGA Tour events without missing a cut, from 1998-2005. That is 29 more than the second-longest streak in the Tour’s history (Byron Nelson, 113 in a row). There are only four other such streaks even half as long as Woods’

In a stretch from the middle of the 1999 season through the middle of the 2001 season, Woods won 20 of the 38 stroke-play events he played on the Tour (a .526 win percentage). In those events, Woods was a combined 472 under, a cumulative score 307 shots better than anyone else. Vijay Singh was second.

2016 net worth of 740M

And that's with crappy sponsors and 1/2 his $$$ sitting in Elin's account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Great post.

I thought Sam Snead won at the Greenbrier 8 times also though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Very sad to see his arrest for DUI.
    Career as good as finished now.
    Sad end for a titan of the game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4552628/Tiger-Woods-arrested-DUI.html

2nd time according to the above article. The mugshot isn't pretty.

He infamously said 'I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to' in December 2009. Not much has changed since seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

2nd time according to the above article. The mugshot isn't pretty.

Sad to see. Some fall off in sponsorship now I'd imagine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Remember lads, its "suspicion" of drink driving, he's not convicted yet.

Doesn't look good either way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sad to see. Some fall off in sponsorship now I'd imagine

Yeah probably. He still won't have to ever worry about his bills though.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

If Nike ever wanted out of the tiger contract, surely now is the their chance, mugshot doesn't do him any favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I love the yanks. If you f up, you better be prepared to pay the consequences. No such thing as decorum and discretion, it's just HEY EVERYBODY, look at the state this superstar was in when we arrested him for DUI this morning. When was the last time you ever saw a mugshot that wasn't American???
    They have it bang on, name and shame......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

seanl77 wrote:
    If Nike ever wanted out of the tiger contract, surely now is the their chance, mugshot doesn't do him any favours!

Just For Men might come knocking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

charlieIRL wrote: »

The mugshot says enough :(

looks like it was a late night

16ac185b97a8f84642380e25c0c89d2e

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

charlieIRL wrote: »

He mightn't have been under the influence, his driving has been erratic for some time now.

Just For Men might come knocking though.

more likely the hair transplant crowd. maybe he can do a video like Austin Healy and Shane Warne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Is this really necessarily that big of a deal? The Yanks are pretty relaxed about drink driving. Of course they're gonna make a big deal of catching the Tiger and there'll probably be some consequences in terms of sponsors, but it isn't necessarily proof that he's gone off the rails or he's a raging alco.

Not saying he isn't, but I'm gonna need more convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Didn't he recently have surgery? Any chance he is prescription drugged to his eyeballs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its a bit of hypocrisy really.

In reality the yanks are quite a bit more relaxed about drink driving than we are. I'm not condoning it but a lot of them do it. It's got to do with the fact they don't do random checks. You have to catch a cops attention in order to get stopped. So people feel 'safer' doing it I guess.

But of course if you're high profile and get caught then they're all out for you. You better check into rehab the next week and come out with a public apology. All show.

He isn't the first PGA Tour Pro this year to have been arrested for this offence. Steven Bowditch had similar problems a couple of months back.

When it comes to drink driving there's not much in the way of suspicion, it's a straightforward catch, test and pass/fail. This won't end well for him. Best hope it was just a small bit of alcohol and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think Dustin Johnston had a DUI earlier in his career too. This is nothing, a news story for sports reporters who are desperate to have anything Tiger related on their front page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

The mugshot looks like someone was playing the Tiger Woods Playstation game and tried to create a golfer with a face like Tiger Woods.

Senna wrote: »
    I think Dustin Johnston had a DUI earlier in his career too. This is nothing, a news story for sports reporters who are desperate to have anything Tiger related on their front page.

DUI's for guys in their 20's are a lot different to guys in their 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

If only he hadn't of bulked up so much in the gym this would never have happened.

Rory needs to take note on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

ligerdub wrote: »
    DUI's for guys in their 20's are a lot different to guys in their 40's.

Whats your point? from a publicity point of view??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »
    If only he hadn't of bulked up so much in the gym this would never have happened.

Rory needs to take note on this.

Rory: Do you even lift bro
    Tiger: Giz a lift bro

It's a slippery slope.

Joking aside, some fall from grace for Tiger over the last decade. Can't be easy to go from being almost untouchable to having your body start failing and a few public humiliations aired for the world to see. Given his mentality, he must be struggling with that.

Woods has released a statement overnight claiming he wasn't drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Woods has released a statement overnight claiming he wasn't drunk.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40089225

Yep, going down the medication route

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Must have slept with the window open last night cause I woke to an awful smell of bullsh1t :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

lads, a dui is no major crime, DJ took a *break*
    If it's medication, that's a problem here in ireland too, you can be done for having solpadeine now if a cop decides you were driving erratically.
    For me this is no big deal, even if he was drunk but it doesn't look that way

• Advertisement

Senna wrote:
    Whats your point? from a publicity point of view??

Partially yes.

Guy in his 20's: he's a young guy, he'll learn his lesson, come back better, the only way is up etc.

Guy in his 40's: Old enough to know better, bad role model, on a downward spiral.

I think a lot of the perception lies in the trend of his professional and personal life. In the case of Woods neither is good, and this only adds to it.

Advertisement