Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

AnneFrank wrote:
    lads, a dui is no major crime, DJ took a *break*
    If it's medication, that's a problem here in ireland too, you can be done for having solpadeine now if a cop decides you were driving erratically. For me this is no big deal, even if he was drunk but it doesn't look that way

To be fair aren't you probably the biggest "Woods-ite" on here?

Neurofen reaction? Was there a copy of Aer Lingus Cara magazine in the vehicle by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

ligerdub wrote: »
    To be fair aren't you probably the biggest "Woods-ite" on here?

In fairness, DUI's in America are not a big deal. They have a completely different view of drink driving to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bren2001 wrote:
    In fairness, DUI's in America are not a big deal. They have a completely different view of drink driving to us.

No they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Is his statement not a bit contradictory? First he says "What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications." but then goes on to say "I would like to apologise with all my heart to my family, friends and the fans. I expect more from myself too."

Why would he be so apologetic if it was merely just an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications :confused: Smells of Bulls**t indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

HighLine wrote: »
    Is his statement not a bit contradictory? First he says "What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications." but then goes on to say "I would like to apologise with all my heart to my family, friends and the fans. I expect more from myself too."

Why would he be so apologetic if it was merely just an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications :confused: Smells of Bulls**t indeed.

Probably had 2-3 beers, but the meds made the effects of alcohol worse. And then he got in a car and drove, hence the apology. Probably drives after 3 beers all the time, but apologies only necessary if caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Partially yes.

Guy in his 20's: he's a young guy, he'll learn his lesson, come back better, the only way is up etc.

Guy in his 40's: Old enough to know better, bad role model, on a downward spiral.

Seriously ? It's a dui he hasn't murdered anyone !!
    You're black and white reading of this is hilarious.
    To answer your question, yes i am a fan of Woods, but that has nothing to do with it. I'd say the same for anyone, in any walk of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The hypocrisy of people who are "disgusted" at his behaviour is hilarious.

As if everyone "down at the clubhouse" are model citizens...

look at that radio presenter from cork who had a tommy tank right in the middle of a plane,
    he still has his job, he blamed it on solpadeine !

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Partially yes.

Guy in his 20's: he's a young guy, he'll learn his lesson, come back better, the only way is up etc.

Guy in his 40's: Old enough to know better, bad role model, on a downward spiral.

Seriously ? It's a dui he hasn't murdered anyone !!
    You're black and white reading of this is hilarious.
    To answer your question, yes i am a fan of Woods, but that has nothing to do with it. I'd say the same for anyone, in any walk of life

It's not black and white at all, as a matter of fact I highlighted a position which explained a degree of complexity and difference of interpretation.

I'm not calling him to be locked up for life, or even locked up at all. I'm not even saying this is some sort of permanent character flaw. I'm merely saying this is another step in the decline of Woods.

He can't be expected to be perfect, but when you put yourself out there as a personal brand you have to be extra careful. He made a mistake and he is probably very sorry for it, but it's dreadful for his image, and doesn't exactly suggest that his mind is in the right or great place at the moment.

Shrugging shoulders and thinking "meh, no big deal" about intoxicated driving is very irresponsible. It is a big deal, no two ways about it.

• Advertisement

have you ever heard the expression sh*t happens,
    over 8000 irish people were caught last year,
    He made a mistake, it happens. I'm sure even you have made one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

AnneFrank wrote:
    have you ever heard the expression sh*t happens, over 8000 irish people were caught last year, He made a mistake, it happens. I'm sure even you have made one

Not many of those 8,000 have a humiliating mug shot broadcast on global media, or have to convince sponsors that their brand is strengthened by association with them.

AnneFrank wrote:
    have you ever heard the expression sh*t happens, over 8000 irish people were caught last year, He made a mistake, it happens. I'm sure even you have made one

Again, I've not claimed I couldn't do it or that he's the devil. Read my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Tiger is human, he's flawed like us all. His mistakes are exacerbated because of who his. He's obviously struggling mentally, as well as physically.

I do hope he manages to get back on the course and competing again. Tiger v Rory down the stretch in major is a mouth-watering thought, but ever increasingly unlikely ever to happen.

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Tiger is human, he's flawed like us all. His mistakes are exacerbated because of who his. He's obviously struggling mentally, as well as physically.

Indeed, but he always came across as a surly arsehol3 in his interactions with people, media etc. most particularly when he was doing well so there is not a huge groundswell of love for him on the way down.

Superlative golfer, sub-par human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Enigma IE wrote: »

I do hope he manages to get back on the course and competing again. Tiger v Rory down the stretch in major is a mouth-watering thought, but ever increasingly unlikely ever to happen.

True, but there is also a case of hoist by his own petard. Woods has carefully controlled his image for 2 decades and made life difficult for anyone who he deemed to have slighted him (Fuzzy Zeoller comes to mind). So I don't feel a lot of sympathy nor "it could happen to anyone" for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

davo10 wrote: »
    True, but there is also a case of hoist by his own petard. Woods has carefully controlled his image for 2 decades and made life difficult for anyone who he deemed to have slighted him (Fuzzy Zeoller comes to mind). So I don't feel a lot of sympathy nor "it could happen to anyone" for him.

Precisely. The man is a complete fraud - it amazes me that anyone can believe otherwise.

Great golfer. Thrilling to watch. But fake as a nine-pound note.

glasso wrote: »
    Indeed, but he always came across as a surly arsehol3 in his interactions with people, media etc. most particularly when he was doing well so there is not a huge groundswell of love for him on the way down.

Superlative golfer, sub-par human.

I would not disagree with this point.

davo10 wrote: »

The reason why I would like to see him back is for golfing reasons. I've never really liked anything about Tiger's personality or his behavior... other than him being an incredible competitor.

I guess my point was, like him or not, he's fallible like anyone else.

i don't know, he had a few affairs and a dui, no big deal for me, he is surly with dhead media, no big deal,
    have you heard the stupid questions they ask. I have a problem with him spitting on greens and cursing on the course, but that's it. I don't see anyone moaning about the blandness of mcilroy or spieth,
    or them kicking bags and throwing clubs in a lake.
    On golfing ability, he's the best bar none, or least he was but that time is long since past, i'd still like to see him back though

• Advertisement

i don't know, he had a few affairs and a dui, no big deal for me, he is surly with dhead media, no big deal,
    have you heard the stupid questions they ask. I have a problem with him spitting on greens and cursing on the course, but that's it. I don't see anyone moaning about the blandness of mcilroy or spieth,
    On golfing ability, he's the best bar none, or least he was but that time is long since past, i'd still like to see him back though

I have to wonder about the mentality of someone who is offended by cursing on a golf course - but sees no problem with a guy who's married with kids f*cking every hooker within a 50-mile radius - and being found asleep in his car on the side of the road... but god forbid he'd sully the good name of golf!
    New York Times

JUPITER, Fla. — Former world No. 1 golfer Tiger Woods was asleep at the wheel of a stationary Mercedes-Benz vehicle on a Florida road and did not know where he was, according to a police report released on Tuesday, a day after his arrest on a charge of driving under the influence.

Woods had "extremely slow and slurred speech" after being awoken by a Jupiter police officer, who found the golfer's car stopped in the right lane of the roadway and still running, the report said.

Much as I don't really like Woods, the person, when I read the above article I'm quite relieved that it wasn't a whole lot worse. That he at least pulled over and didn't nod off at the wheel or something like that.

It's crazy innit... what the heck kinda meds did that to him??

It's more a sad report than one of particularly bad behaviour.

It's fairly unclear if this reflects more a knock-on effect of dealing with physical pain he may be suffering (which indicates he was lying about the severity of his current physical condition), or if he was using the painkillers as a form of zoning out. Neither of which are particularly encouraging.

To be fair he seemed very cooperative, wasn't drinking, and at least the car was not moving. The rather confused state he was in is obviously sad. I dare say there'll be no serious legal issues to face here, maybe a fine and possibly a driving ban but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

in the crazy world of USA don't they often beat you up first and ask questions afterwards?????

I have seen enough to know that when you get pulled over in USA and are suspected of being drunk, they don't get you to do a breathaliser or piss in a bottle, you have to do sh1t like stand on one leg and touch the tip of your nose, turn around in circles and then walk along the white line as if it were a tighht rope!

stupid carry on really, it all could have been avoided if they just got him to blow in a bag!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    It's crazy innit... what the heck kinda meds did that to him??

Sounds look some concoction from the report. Kinda sad that he thought he was in California golfing (as in his early career).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Some unbelievable stuff here by people calling him sub par human. Lets get some ****ing perspective, he cheated on his wife (with consenting adults) and was a less open than a few less talented golfers.

He's hardly in the league of Jimmy Savile, Josef Fritzl, the Manchester bomber, Hitler (yes I'm invoking it).

Cop the **** on some of you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hookers, numerous affairs, 2 DUI's, allegations of drug use, and a nasty cursing spitting demeanor.

What's not to like?

Some unbelievable stuff here by people calling him sub human. Lets get some ****ing perspective, he cheated on his wife (with consenting adults) and was a less open than a few less talented golfers.

He's hardly in the league of Jimmy Savile, Josef Fritzl, the Manchester bomber, Hitler (yes I'm invoking it).

Cop the **** on some of you.

Who said he was, lad?

• Advertisement

how dare you talk sense ! but then how could all the tiger haters slam him on here seve !!
    his career is over, he's bad for the game, he slept with women,
    rabble rabble rabble !!!

Advertisement