Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

AnneFrank wrote: »
    how dare you talk sense ! but then how could all the tiger haters slam him on here seve !!
    his career is over, he's bad for the game, he slept with women,
    rabble rabble rabble !!!

Seems like you and 'sense' ain't even first cousins, Chief...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Seems like you and 'sense' ain't even first cousins, Chief...

Look, Anne is stuck in her wardrobe and doesn't get out all that much so take it easy ;)

Fact of the matter here is Tiger is a legend, always was, always will be. I'm a golf fan as are most of you. What he does in his personal life is his business and really I couldn't give two hoots what he gets up to.

The media are a sad shower of bastards who have to report on every aspect of someones life just because they are in the public eye. Now Tiger has done nothing wrong, but he still has to face the wrath of all the haters, it's not right.

He is a golfer, report on his golf and even his health/fitness - return to the game, but anything personal, should stay personal, it's not any of our business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

All road safety authorities will tell you to pull over, take a power nap before continuing on your journey when tired. Micro sleeps are very dangerous obviously.

Sounds to me like tiger played an absolute blinder here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Seve OB wrote: »
    Fact of the matter here is Tiger is a legend, always was, always will be. I'm a golf fan as are most of you. What he does in his personal life is his business and really I couldn't give two hoots what he gets up to.

The media are a sad shower of bastards who have to report on every aspect of someones life just because they are in the public eye. Now Tiger has done nothing wrong, but he still has to face the wrath of all the haters, it's not right.

He is a golfer, report on his golf and even his health/fitness - return to the game, but anything personal, should stay personal, it's not any of our business

Tarnished badly though.

p.s. Boards is primarily for discussion surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

All good and well for run of the mill citizen, but Tigers fortune was not built solely on his golfing exploits, a considerable proportion of it was built on branding and his all-American virtues and ability to overcome the odds. If you set yourself up as an icon of the game, enrich yourself on your public profile and threaten/dismiss anyone to criticises or slights you, then you can't complain when the media reports on your failure to live up to those ideals.

It's really simple to in any way suggest that Tiger is "only a golfer" and should be judged " on the golf course" he's used ads, media and that sickening commercial about how he had let the memory of his Dad to try and restore his image.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rs7KpA9vlo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Don't know Seve - the first controversy was genuinely jaw dropping :eek:
    His image was built around Mr Clean Cut - so he had it coming.

This is a nothing story in comparison - also he isn't at the same profile now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

As if personal issues can be separated from golfing issues, what kind of parallel universe do you live in? His golfing decline is directly related to his off-course delinquency and yet you would deny it for the sake of jumping on some politically correct high-horse bandwagon.

And yet you are very quick to pick out faults with eg the media, but you don't like it when they do the same with your hero, just because you believe the sun shines out of his ass. Hypocrite. As if Tiger gives two hoots about his irrelevant fanboys anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Cop the **** on some of you.

Right children listen to the teacher when she speaks.

You got shares in Nike or something?

• Advertisement

As if personal issues can be separated from golfing issues, what kind of parallel universe do you live in? His golfing decline is directly related to his off-course delinquency and yet you would deny it for the sake of jumping on some politically correct high-horse bandwagon.

And yet you are very quick to pick out faults with eg the media, but you don't like it when they do the same with your hero, just because you believe the sun shines out of his ass. Hypocrite. As if Tiger gives two hoots about his irrelevant fanboys anyway.

So who is my hero?

I'm just saying I don't really care about what golfers, ball players, athletes, movie stars etc get up to in their personal life. I leave my missus watch her xposa crap and e channel and hello magazine, I'll just watch the movie, match, olympics, majors or whatever and enjoy them

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

I actually think (perhaps naively) that he has just made a mistake and taken too many painkillers or whatever he is on. It seems like a genuine enough mistake.

I am slightly amazed at the interest this has generated. I know he is a global figure and very famous. However he has not been at the top of the game for a good number of years. The fact that he made pretty much every news bulletin since the news broke yesterday and the front page of every newspaper today is incredible imo.

It was the topic of conversation at work today among people who would struggle to name another golfer. Whether you like him or not it is a testament to how TW raised the global profile of golf while he was in his prime. The current world no. 1 has had quite a few indiscretions but I don't remember any of them even making a blip in mainstream news outlets.

So who is my hero?

I'm just saying I don't really care about what golfers, ball players, athletes, movie stars etc get up to in their personal life. I leave my missus watch her xposa crap and e channel and hello magazine, I'll just watch the movie, match, olympics, majors or whatever and enjoy them

I like the old expose now again - some fine stuff going on.

No - I like a bit of scandal , you have to know your Caitlyn Jenner from a Kardashian - you could get yourself into all sorts of trouble. :P

But - gossip , inside info is a part of life. I think Seve you wouldn't be 100 % honest if you said you never showed any interest in what sports people get up to in real life.

Sure I must have read over 200 autobiographies of sports people - 90% of them pure crap .

The first Tiger Woods story was mega for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

For at least one generation, when they think of golf they think of Tiger. That's why this is still global news, he is synonymous with the sport and always will be as possibly the greatest to ever play the game, certainly right up there anyway.

The only thing the media and the public in general tbh love more then building someone up is the inevitable fall and tearing them down.

This is not to excuse any of his previous poor behaviour, simply my way of explaining why this was such big news.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

What's up with these top American golfers getting into bother for all the wrong reasons. Only in April, Dustin took too much cocaine that he had to pull out of the Masters, for fear of getting caught in a drug test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Must have slept with the window open last night cause I woke to an awful smell of bullsh1t :D
    in the crazy world of USA don't they often beat you up first and ask questions afterwards?????

I have seen enough to know that when you get pulled over in USA and are suspected of being drunk, they don't get you to do a breathaliser or piss in a bottle, you have to do sh1t like stand on one leg and touch the tip of your nose, turn around in circles and then walk along the white line as if it were a tighht rope!

stupid carry on really, it all could have been avoided if they just got him to blow in a bag!
    A bit quick on the draw there!

fullstop wrote: »
    A bit quick on the draw there!

:rolleyes: lol

But - gossip , inside info is a part of life. I think Seve you wouldn't be 100 % honest if you said you never showed any interest in what sports people get up to in real life.

Sure I must have read over 200 autobiographies of sports people - 90% of them pure crap .

The first Tiger Woods story was mega for everyone.

Agree, the tiger story was mega, I was more surprised at how it was never uncovered before as it seemed never ending with so many people in the know.

Not a reader, think I read the first Keane buke, jack charltons and mick McCarthy diarys from 1990, eAmonn dunphys book on U2 and after that I'm struggling to think of any others.....I do know quite a lot about a famous caddy though ;)

Yea, would see the headlines alright and make my observations, but if I never knew half the stuff it would make no difference to me.

Heard of yer one jenner and the kardasians but I couldn't pick any of them out of a lineup:eek:

Agree, the tiger story was mega, I was more surprised at how it was never uncovered before as it seemed never ending with so many people in the know.

Not a reader, think I read the first Keane buke, jack charltons and mick McCarthy diarys from 1990, eAmonn dunphys book on U2 and after that I'm struggling to think of any others.....I do know quite a lot about a famous caddy though ;)

Yea, would see the headlines alright and make my observations, but if I never knew half the stuff it would make no difference to me.

Heard of yer one jenner and the kardasians but I couldn't pick any of them out of a lineup:eek:

Once it wasn't a dark nightclub - you would be fine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Disgraceful how the mugshot and even the police report have made it into the media so quickly

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Disgraceful how the mugshot and even the police report have made it into the media so quickly

Sure they released photos that were for intelligence in Manchester Bombing - bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

And apparently they have police dash cam footage which they will "release tomorrow afternoon".

And in other less important news... there have been 50 odd gun killings in the US since yesterday.

I actually got annoyed when I got a push notification from the golf channel app saying the dash cam footage would be available tomorrow.

****ing discusting and these so call journalists owe pretty much there whole careers to Tiger

I actually got annoyed when I got a push notification from the golf channel app saying the dash cam footage would be available tomorrow.

****ing discusting and these so call journalists owe pretty much there whole careers to Tiger

Whether he was drunk or not is immaterial, he was driving under the influence and was a danger to other road goers. It would be no consolation to anyone he hit that he was blacked out on prescription meds.

Tiger also owes a considerable amount of his career to the media, he would have made tens of millions from hitting a golf ball, he made hundreds of millions from commercial deals which rely on media exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

redzerdrog wrote:

😂😂😂
    Have a day off, lad...

davo10 wrote: »
    Whether he was drunk or not is immaterial, he was driving under the influence and was a danger to other road goers. It would be no consolation to anyone he hit that he was blacked out on prescription meds.

Tiger also owes a considerable amount of his career to the media, he would have made tens of millions from hitting a golf ball, he made hundreds of millions from commercial deals which rely on media exposure.

But why should you or I see the dashcam footage?

But why should you or I see the dashcam footage?

Because we live in a world of instant news and social media, do you not think that if there wasn't dash cam footage that Tigers lawyers would be spinning this? The footage corroborates what the police stated, no spin. Remember the immediate aftermath of the 2008 incident? First it was a "minor" issue while he reversed out of his drive, some highway patrol persons career would have been on the line while Tigers lawyers and PR ripped him/her apart if the video didn't show exactly what happened.

So any footage should be used as evidence. That doesn't explain why every tom duck and Harry should see it. What is it trial by media?

So any footage should be used as evidence. That doesn't explain why every tom duck and Harry should see it. What is it trial by media?

I prescribe pain meds everyday of the week, if they have the potential to cause drowsiness, I make it clear that you should not operate machiary nor drive, if they were strong enough to make him slump over in his car, he would know.

As for "trial by media", if you live "by the media" you can't turn it off when it suits you, the yanks have a different way of doing things, if you break the law it's all there on camera if they have it, why not release it to show the public that celebrities don't get special treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

davo10 wrote: »
    I prescribe pain meds everyday of the week, if they have the potential to cause drowsiness, I make it clear that you should not operate machiary nor drive, if they were strong enough to make him slump over in his car, he would know.

As for "trial by media", if you live "by the media" you can't turn it off when it suits you, the yanks have a different way of doing things, if you break the law it's all there on camera if they have it, why not release it to show the public that celebrities don't get special treatment?

They did more than make him slump over and have a nap in his car it seems. He had fresh damage on the car and 2 flat tyres.

Advertisement