Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Rikand wrote: »
    You could have just clicked the "report this post" button if your precious little heart was so offended by it

You're cool. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I don't see anything positive about the media (who are mostly scum anyway) making money out of his misfortune.

Throughout his career Woods treated the media (and most else of the golf world) with about as much empathy as Caligula.

What goes around comes around.

Blaming the media is somewhere between bizarre and pathetic... and lambasting the release of the details of Tiger's arrest is absurd - it appears every person on this thread has consumed that news! So, guess what, the media got it right - they figured the details of Tiger's arrest and subsequent videos would be of interest to their consumers and they were 100% spot on - you all watched... then ran over here to cleanse yourselves and claim the moral highground...

The media didn't make Tiger drive while in absolutely no fit state to do so... they didn't make him f*ck every hooker he could find while his wife and kids were at home... they didn't make him bend the rules on the golf course on the occasions he has, spit on greens, generally be an ignorant git... Tiger did all that himself, lads... your hero, simply, is not very heroic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

So woods didn't have much time for the media so it's fair game now. Do we all forget the huge sums of money and support he gave to charity work etc etc when on top of his game?

He was a pig ignorant golfer I'm sure we can all admit but he was hardly a monster for goodness sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Blaming the media is somewhere between bizarre and pathetic... and lambasting the release of the details of Tiger's arrest is absurd - it appears every person on this thread has consumed that news! So, guess what, the media got it right - they figured the details of Tiger's arrest and subsequent videos would be of interest to their consumers and they were 100% spot on - you all watched... then ran over here to cleanse yourselves and claim the moral highground...

The media didn't make Tiger drive while in absolutely no fit state to do so... they didn't make him f*ck every hooker he could find while his wife and kids were at home... they didn't make him bend the rules on the golf course on the occasions he has, spit on greens, generally be an ignorant git... Tiger did all that himself, lads... your hero, simply, is not very heroic...

Wow way to generalise. I don't like woods but I don't agree with the coverage of this by golf channel especially. The fake "he needs our help" line while showing the footage is a bit rich. And no I didn't look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Part of the job of being famous is you benefit from all the positive media attention both to do with you personally and your job but you suffer from all the negative media attention.

Overall he's had an amazing life and I'd swap with him in a second and he can pick himself up off the floor and have a really good life going forward.This isn't like an average joe going through a tough phase of their life and the fact that they have financial concerns (which is extremely important for 99% of people) on top of everything else in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

luvthegame wrote: »
    Wow way to generalise. I don't like woods but I don't agree with the coverage of this by golf channel especially. The fake "he needs our help" line while showing the footage is a bit rich. And no I didn't look at it.

To be fair he has a point. Clearly not everyone would watch it, but a very high percentage did.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

glasso wrote: »

That's quite a damning article.

He knew what he was doing and this incident wasn't as a result of some sort of one off extreme reaction as had been claimed.

His stock will sink even further.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

That's quite a damning article.

He knew what he was doing and this incident wasn't as a result of some sort of one off extreme reaction as had been claimed.

His stock will sink even further.....

*Reads article.

*Notes unnamed source.

*Ignores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    *Reads article.

*Notes unnamed source.

*Ignores.

Or reads atricle
    Halfway through realises that there is probably no addiction and he is just doing this to be clever and circumvent and issue with custody of his kids

Either way, it's just the media stirring again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it was even potentially libellous I'm sure Tigers "suits" would be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

He's clearly in a great deal of pain. It's not surprising that he ended up abusing the pankillers.

Whatever people feel about his past and his behaviour, he has obviously ended up in a position where his body gives him near constant grief. It happens to so many people, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ligerdub wrote: »
    He's clearly in a great deal of pain. It's not surprising that he ended up abusing the pankillers.

Whatever people feel about his past and his behaviour, he has obviously ended up in a position where his body gives him near constant grief. It happens to so many people, very sad.

I would say his mind could be in as much pain as his body. All the hundreds of millions in the bank won't replace the feeling he had when he totally dominated the game, media, life in general.

Not wanting to be overly dramatic but it looked like a cry for help for me. You don't just take the wrong colour pill and end up asleep and out of your mind on the motorway. You don't make a point of apologising to your fans for mixing your meds.

PARlance wrote: »
    I would say his mind could be in as much pain as his body. All the hundreds of millions in the bank won't replace the feeling he had when he totally dominated the game, media, life in general.

Not wanting to be overly dramatic but it looked like a cry for help for me. You don't just take the wrong colour pill and end up asleep and out of your mind on the motorway. You don't make a point of apologising to your fans for mixing your meds.

All the money in the world can't defeat depression. I won't be surprised at all if it turns out that is what tiger is suffering with behind all of this. His life has been spiralling downwards for a long while now and the mind is a very fragile thing.

He needs help imo but more importantly he needs to want to be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

This is what happens when parents push their kids too much in any sporting category imo.
    Hes an extreme case i know but i think a lot of these discoveries about his private life are due to being pushed too hard all his childhood and since his dad passed hes been absolutely rudderless.
    Sad to see.

This is what happens when parents push their kids too much in any sporting category imo.
    Hes an extreme case i know but i think a lot of these discoveries about his private life are due to being pushed too hard all his childhood and since his dad passed hes been absolutely rudderless.
    Sad to see.

Lots of people suffer the exact same way without having been pushed by parents.

I don't think there is any logic or reason to how the mind breaks down in terms of how you are rared. Nobody is immune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You can speculate about how it happened or why it happened, what there is no speculation about is the fact that he drove under the influence of strong benzo medication and was a danger to others.

I can assure you, as someone who prescribes this medication, that he was warned of its dangers, he ignored those warnings given by his physician.

No excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

ForeRight wrote:
    I don't think there is any logic or reason to how the mind breaks down in terms of how you are rared. Nobody is immune.

Nope. But definitely better equipped.

Rared😀😀 Nottin a size ten wudnt sort out!

Guess it's rehab so. Hopefully they can help him get back to a normal way of life. Think I'd rather deal with pain than chance the American way of dishing out pain killers like they do.

https://twitter.com/TigerWoods/status/876945223506636801

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Guess it's rehab so. Hopefully they can help him get back to a normal way of life. Think I'd rather deal with pain than chance the American way of dishing out pain killers like they do.

In the US you go in for a sore knee. Your insurer is happy to pay for your prescription..... for a while. These opioids are not to be messed with. When your insurer stops paying its cheaper to get heroin on the street. This is an epidemic across the US.

*Reads article.

*Notes unnamed source.

*Ignores.

Sometimes these unnamed sources turn out to be absolutely correct.

Woods claimed at the time of his arrest that he'd suffered a bad reaction to prescription meds, but has now come out and said he's in rehab to try to overcome an addiction to them.

So he knew exactly what he was doing at the time but just did it anyway.

He has no respect for anyone, and fully deserves whatever bad things come his way as a result of this.

Sometimes these unnamed sources turn out to be absolutely correct.

Woods claimed at the time of his arrest that he'd suffered a bad reaction to prescription meds, but has now come out and said he's in rehab to try to overcome an addiction to them.

So he knew exactly what he was doing at the time but just did it anyway.

He has no respect for anyone, and fully deserves whatever bad things come his way as a result of this.

But more often than not, they don't. Hence why I tend to ignore articles citing unnamed sources.

But more often than not, they don't. Hence why I tend to ignore articles citing unnamed sources.

The point, which seems to have passed you at considerable speed, was that this report was accurate.

We're not concerned with any other reports.

The point, which seems to have passed you at considerable speed, was that this report was accurate.

We're not concerned with any other reports.

Hasn't passed me at all. I just wouldn't​ quote an article that doesn't give a source. Each Daily Mail reader to their own though.

Hasn't passed me at all. I just wouldn't​ quote an article that doesn't give a source. Each Daily Mail reader to their own though.

In your opinion - without wishing to get off topic - why do you think a given article might have a source which cannot or does not wish to be named?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

On a more golf related note it appears he got the all clear from doctors to begin with chipping and pitching. There is a little video going around from his twitter account showing him doing a short pitch in summer holidays attire.

Just the beginning of the road if he does indeed want to pursue a possible comeback. And if it did work out to some degree I don't think full schedule or reduced schedule - like majors and WGC's only or such - is the question here. The question is around the amount of practice needed to get to a competitive level.

But to me its a sign that he hasn't given up yet. I don't think whatever sponsor obligations he still has would make it impossible for him to simply retire if he wished to do so. But it seems he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

davo10 wrote: »

Does anyone actually believe that he'll be back? He's petered out in a blaze of embarrassing incidents. From being the top player in the world to somebody who appears to be in a mess. Hope he gets good help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A comeback from here would be nothing short of a miracle. He burnt himself out.

Advertisement